HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Now?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2011, 11:27 AM
  #176
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Seeing as we have all this capspace and didn't spend it overpaying the free agents, the only way i see this season being a success and what I think has a pretty good chance of happening is that we sign Lecavalier and upgrade out bottom 6 with 1 minor FA...

I'm a HUUUUUUUGE fan of Stamkos, but does anybody else actually see him being a good fit for our team? He needs a play maker to be the most effective. He is a great player and will still play well w/o one, but not anywhere near as well as he could. Possibly if he played with Kadri, but Kadri-Stamkos-Kessel is not the best defensive line and I'd prefer Kessel not play on the 2nd line...

So back to the Lecavalier for #1C .... He had 25g - 29a - 54pts in 65 games with 12 of those goals happening on the PP. You can look at that as good or bad .... Bad because TB's PP is a lot better than ours so there is a possibility his numbers drop, or good because it should improve our PP. He really looked a lot better at the end of the season/in the playoffs (from what I saw/heard) and got 19 points in 18 games.

It would be nice if we could unload Komisarek on them, but I doubt they wanna take too much $$ back considering that would be the reason that TB would trade Lecavalier. I'm not going to make a proposal because I'm not sure his worth, but I think he would be a good fit and could make us competitive (since after FA we did almost nothing and Eastern teams upgraded (even though it will hurt them in the long run with all that $$$$ for 3rd liners)).
His worth right now, is about a second rounder. He has a heavy contract. Burke will not want that. Stamkos will get signed in Tampa, bank on it.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:27 AM
  #177
Cool Hand Luke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
1. Trade - Lupul, Kadri, Rights to Bozak, Blacker, Rynaas, mid round 2012 pick to Colorado for Statsny.

2. Sign Drury 2 year 1.5 mil/year contract to replace Bozak at 3rd line center.

3. Offer-sheet Simmonds at 3.0 mil/year (2nd round pick compensation).

4. Sign Anthony Stewart (UFA), Konopka (UFA)

Simmonds - Statsny - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - MacArthur
Frattin - Drury - Armstrong
Stewart - Konopka - Brown

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:27 AM
  #178
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
I don't want to sign no bandaids, we need a top line player eg. Stamkos or its Fail for Nail for me. There is no free agent out there that will help this team into the playoffs. Even most of the good bottom 6 guys that I wanted are gone.


Just let the kids play and see where it goes. Burke please don't sign a crappy UFA.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
  #179
SuperSaiyanBeastmode
Registered User
 
SuperSaiyanBeastmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
It has been pointed out, Dallas failed to make the playoffs the past 3 seasons with Richards being their goto guy.
I don't know if you knew, but they didn't make the playoffs because they had one the worst defenses in the league. When zubov left them, they went to ****.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
  #180
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,793
vCash: 500
Let me ask Leafs fans, would losing for one more year be acceptable if we can be guaranteed a shot at a franchise C in Nail Yakupov, or a stud like Grigorenko or shall we continue to take the chance to try to make the playoffs as daunting as it is today as the whole eastern landscape has changed. Even a 5th or 6th pick in this draft would be better than the 1st in 2011.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
  #181
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
I dont know if i am right or wrong but I think were the most underrated team going into the next season for a couple of reason.

- Reimer is legit #1 goaltender we have been looking for.
- MacArthur signs with us for 3.5M/3 yrs.
- Schenn gets locked up 3.5-4M/5yrs.
- Grabo becomes #1b center playing with kulie and Mac.
- kadri centers our second line with Kessel and Lupul.
- Phaneuf reaches 40+ points while playing stellar defence.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
  #182
MisterT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Option 1:
Trade for a not-too-old, legit #1 C. This will be tough (possibly impossible) to do, and will cost a lot of assets, but would fix the biggest hole this team has.

Option 2:
Bandaid solution. Sign someone like Connolly, trade for someone like Weiss, etc. Less risk, but will only improve us a bit, not a lot. Would give us the potential to make the playoffs, but we would in no way be a lock.

Option 3:
No moves, Kadri or Bozak as Kessel's C. We will fail to make the playoffs, but probably will not be getting a top 5 pick, likely something more like 10th overall. Basically, a standard wasted season, the classic Leafs treadmill. Probably the best option for the team long-term though.



I must say, I'm not loving any of these options.
Option 4:
Offer sheet Stamkos. It would be nice to finally see Burke do something of significance on a July 1st/2nd after make such proclaimations the past 2 years.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
  #183
080
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
1. Trade - Lupul, Kadri, Rights to Bozak, Blacker, Rynaas, mid round 2012 pick to Colorado for Statsny.

2. Sign Drury 2 year 1.5 mil/year contract to replace Bozak at 3rd line center.

3. Offer-sheet Simmonds at 3.0 mil/year (2nd round pick compensation).

4. Sign Anthony Stewart (UFA), Konopka (UFA)

Simmonds - Statsny - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - MacArthur
Frattin - Drury - Armstrong
Stewart - Konopka - Brown
That team sucks just as bad as the team we have now.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
  #184
Dutch77
Predictable..
 
Dutch77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
At least we'll know what we've got.
I don't think we want to know that

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:29 AM
  #185
vezna*
Canada's Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
That team sucks just as bad as the team we have now.
yeah but we get new things!

ooh shiny

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:29 AM
  #186
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 17,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Let me ask Leafs fans, would losing for one more year be acceptable if we can be guaranteed a shot at a franchise C in Nail Yakupov, or a stud like Grigorenko or shall we continue to take the chance to try to make the playoffs as daunting as it is today as the whole eastern landscape has changed. Even a 5th or 6th pick in this draft would be better than the 1st in 2011.
Yakupov plays RW. Burkie won't allow us to tank. It may happen though.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:29 AM
  #187
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I am not worried. If people thought we were frontrunners to grab Richards, you were wearing the strongest homer glasses.

Richards would have solved a lot of our problems but we were still not Cup Contenders. Not trying to act cocky or anything but if Reimer can play the way he did and we just sign our OWN RFA's and use the farm team for a bit of help, we can still make the playoffs above the Rangers.



That would litterally make me cry....and I am not a cryier. Can you imagine if the Rags failed to make the playoffs and we did? Richards would be kicking his own ass.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:30 AM
  #188
RoadWarrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Option 1:
Trade for a not-too-old, legit #1 C. This will be tough (possibly impossible) to do, and will cost a lot of assets, but would fix the biggest hole this team has.

Option 2:
Bandaid solution. Sign someone like Connolly, trade for someone like Weiss, etc. Less risk, but will only improve us a bit, not a lot. Would give us the potential to make the playoffs, but we would in no way be a lock.

Option 3:
No moves, Kadri or Bozak as Kessel's C. We will fail to make the playoffs, but probably will not be getting a top 5 pick, likely something more like 10th overall. Basically, a standard wasted season, the classic Leafs treadmill.



I must say, I'm not loving any of these options.


I agree with this. The bizarre part is that while the leafs have the highest earnings of any team in the NHL, as it stands right now they are in the bottom third in payroll. That's a great formula for making profits if you have absolutely no pretense of making the playoffs and being competitive.

The truth is that the leafs haven't signed a significant free agent since Ed Belfour. I think Brian Burke has a good eye for identifying character players but his formula for building a team is seriously outdated. It's obvious that the management was unprepared for free agency and combined with his tendency of trading draft picks this can't produce anything but a negative result. Burke is completely reliant on winning trades to build his teams. However the only way this strategy can be effective is if he keeps finding buffoon GM's to deal with him.

Look for the leafs to deal one of Schenn, Colborne or Kadri for either Paul Statsny or Stephen Weiss. That's the way I see it breaking down. Poor asset management. Like two years ago when they traded 2 first rounders to Boston for Kessel when they could have just signed Cammalleri as a UFA. He actually wanted to play here!

RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:30 AM
  #189
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Let me ask Leafs fans, would losing for one more year be acceptable if we can be guaranteed a shot at a franchise C in Nail Yakupov, or a stud like Grigorenko or shall we continue to take the chance to try to make the playoffs as daunting as it is today as the whole eastern landscape has changed. Even a 5th or 6th pick in this draft would be better than the 1st in 2011.
Sure, then we can wait another 3-4 years while he develops.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:30 AM
  #190
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
I don't know if you knew, but they didn't make the playoffs because they had one the worst defenses in the league. When zubov left them, they went to ****.
I dont know if u know this but Richards was never the same when he came back from the concussion.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:31 AM
  #191
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
I don't want to sign no bandaids, we need a top line player eg. Stamkos or its Fail for Nail for me. There is no free agent out there that will help this team into the playoffs. Even most of the good bottom 6 guys that I wanted are gone.


Just let the kids play and see where it goes. Burke please don't sign a crappy UFA.
As much as you want the kids to play, you need DEPTH to compete. You need to surround the kids with decent established players.

If Bozak and/or Grabovski get injured, we won't have any decent replacements for the top 9, which is why a guy like Connolly or Arnott on a short-term contract does nothing but good. It relieves the pressure on the prospects to perform sooner than they are ready.

We have seen Toronto rush young players far too often.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:31 AM
  #192
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
He has to do something. He can't miss the playoffs for the 4th straight year as GM.
it would be the 3rd stright year. He was hired november 29 2008 November 29 2011 would be the 3 year mark.

As for what Burke does now Tim Connolly or a trade

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:31 AM
  #193
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Option 4:
Offer sheet Stamkos. It would be nice to finally see Burke do something of significance on a July 1st/2nd after make such proclaimations the past 2 years.
OMG!! I wish we could all just stop talking about offer sheeting Stamkos. Fact is, Burke has openly said he doesnt do that and it wouldnt matter if he did anyway because Tampa would simply match.

THE END!

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:32 AM
  #194
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 17,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Proof View Post
I dont know if i am right or wrong but I think were the most underrated team going into the next season for a couple of reason.

- Reimer is legit #1 goaltender we have been looking for.
- MacArthur signs with us for 3.5M/3 yrs.
- Schenn gets locked up 3.5-4M/5yrs.
- Grabo becomes #1b center playing with kulie and Mac.
- kadri centers our second line with Kessel and Lupul.
- Phaneuf reaches 40+ points while playing stellar defence.
Hey dude it's great to see optimism but honestly it all completely depends on Reimer. We basically only played well last year when Reimer was in net. Any nights we put Giguere or Gustavsson in net the team in front just didn't look the same and we were easily a bottom 10 team. So I feel this whole season is riding on how Reimer does. No pressure Reims

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:33 AM
  #195
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
As much as you want the kids to play, you need DEPTH to compete. You need to surround the kids with decent established players.

If Bozak and/or Grabovski get injured, we won't have any decent replacements for the top 9, which is why a guy like Connolly or Arnott on a short-term contract does nothing but good. It relieves the pressure on the prospects to perform sooner than they are ready.

We have seen Toronto rush young players far too often.
This x2

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:33 AM
  #196
The Caveman
snowbozie
 
The Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Posts: 1,218
vCash: 500
Kadri + Macarthur or Aulie + 2 firsts for Stamkos

The Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:33 AM
  #197
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Are we replacing Wilson with Tippet?
Burke already covered his basis by bringing in two coaches (Burke forced RW to make the move) that RW didn`t want to do.

So now RW will be looking over his shoulders at these guys and Burke doesn`t even have to think about firing him.

Lawyer maneuver, stay to his letter of the law (Wilson won`t be fired) but address the issue.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:34 AM
  #198
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta
Hey Leafs fans, a little emotional today, are we? Don't be. They were in on Leino, etc, but didn't overpay. They're looking at trades too.
Looking at trades like every team should? Lol if they weren't, there would be quite an outrage here.

Kind of funny how we won't overpay for free agents this year yet we signed Komisarek to a terrible contract.

Won't build from draft, won't overpay for FA (that's how you get them!), we won't sign players to these long-term contracts... but uhh, we got cap space!!!! I hate Burke's philosophy.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:34 AM
  #199
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle
 
DatsyukianDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Proof View Post
I dont know if i am right or wrong but I think were the most underrated team going into the next season for a couple of reason.

- Reimer is legit #1 goaltender we have been looking for.
- MacArthur signs with us for 3.5M/3 yrs.
- Schenn gets locked up 3.5-4M/5yrs.
- Grabo becomes #1b center playing with kulie and Mac.
- kadri centers our second line with Kessel and Lupul.
- Phaneuf reaches 40+ points while playing stellar defence.
not sure if you paid attention to the free agency signings but Schenn will make more than 4 million dollars.

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:34 AM
  #200
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle
 
Erza Scarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Requiem
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Let me ask Leafs fans, would losing for one more year be acceptable if we can be guaranteed a shot at a franchise C in Nail Yakupov, or a stud like Grigorenko or shall we continue to take the chance to try to make the playoffs as daunting as it is today as the whole eastern landscape has changed. Even a 5th or 6th pick in this draft would be better than the 1st in 2011.
we're not guaranteed anything. Even Rangers could miss the playoffs next season. Heck no one would of thought NJ adding Kovalhchuk, Volchenkov, and Taillander would.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.