HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

What Now?

Old
07-02-2011, 11:35 AM
theTTC

vCash: 500
Lesser teams than ours have made the playoffs with good team chemistry and savvy coaching. Here is where Ron Wilson and his new staff earn those big paycheques (or not).

Sit tight, let Reimer and the other youngsters develop, sign Konopka and play three tough guys on the fourth line so if we lose the game we don't get a s*** kicking as well. Remember those days with Paul Maurice?

If necessary Burke has to change his moral and ethical tune in February and tank to get a high draft pick.

theTTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Let me ask Leafs fans, would losing for one more year be acceptable if we can be guaranteed a shot at a franchise C in Nail Yakupov, or a stud like Grigorenko or shall we continue to take the chance to try to make the playoffs as daunting as it is today as the whole eastern landscape has changed. Even a 5th or 6th pick in this draft would be better than the 1st in 2011.
I already made my stance pretty clear, one more year out of the playoffs won't be acceptable to me. I am not going to pin my hopes on some kid that could be drafted in the top 5 next season. Hopefully Burke will find a deal out there that makes sense, and we'll move forward not back. I won't tolerate finishing in the bottom 5 again after making some strides this past season.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
I don't know if you knew, but they didn't make the playoffs because they had one the worst defenses in the league. When zubov left them, they went to ****.
Exactly. Richards could not get them into the playoffs as he`s a center not a goaltender or a defensive pairing or anything else.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caveman View Post
Kadri + Macarthur or Aulie + 2 firsts for Stamkos
you do it for the lulz ??

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:36 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
not sure if you paid attention to the free agency signings but Schenn will make more than 4 million dollars.
Just below 4 mil like Marc Staal

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Burke already covered his basis by bringing in two coaches (Burke forced RW to make the move) that RW didn`t want to do.

So now RW will be looking over his shoulders at these guys and Burke doesn`t even have to think about firing him.

Lawyer maneuver, stay to his letter of the law (Wilson won`t be fired) but address the issue.
If Wilson is fired and Gordon is our Interim head coach, expect a JT tank, guy is not much of a head coach from what I remember of him on the Isle and yes I know that team wasn't good anyway but no structure regardless.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Hey dude it's great to see optimism but honestly it all completely depends on Reimer. We basically only played well last year when Reimer was in net. Any nights we put Giguere or Gustavsson in net the team in front just didn't look the same and we were easily a bottom 10 team. So I feel this whole season is riding on how Reimer does. No pressure Reims
Yeah, I pretty much agree with u that Reimer is the main focus for us going into next season but Grabo and Phaneuf are also the key players that needs to step up more in order for us to make the playoffs.

Personally I think Grabo is gonna breakout year with 65+ points playing with Mac and kulie.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:38 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Just below 4 mil like Marc Staal
you better hope he doesn't test free agency next year then.

Old
bradbirtch
go leafs go

Quote:
Let me ask Leafs fans, would losing for one more year be acceptable if we can be guaranteed a shot at a franchise C in Nail Yakupov, or a stud like Grigorenko or shall we continue to take the chance to try to make the playoffs as daunting as it is today as the whole eastern landscape has changed. Even a 5th or 6th pick in this draft would be better than the 1st in 2011.
yes i would aright with it bruke wont let it hapen tho

bradbirtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
3.1 million offersheet for Anisimov (2nd. round pick) to thank the Rangers for the performance yesterdy.

8.7 million offersheet for Stamkos (4 1st. rounders) because Yzerman can offersheet all the Leafs he wants and it won`t ever hurt as much.
I would do this... Or sign Arnott. I am 100% against connolly

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:39 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
you better hope he doesn't test free agency next year then.
How could he be a free agent next year?

Old
07-02-2011, 11:40 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Option 1:
Trade for a not-too-old, legit #1 C. This will be tough (possibly impossible) to do, and will cost a lot of assets, but would fix the biggest hole this team has.

Option 2:
Bandaid solution. Sign someone like Connolly, trade for someone like Weiss, etc. Less risk, but will only improve us a bit, not a lot. Would give us the potential to make the playoffs, but we would in no way be a lock.

Option 3:
No moves, Kadri or Bozak as Kessel's C. We will fail to make the playoffs, but probably will not be getting a top 5 pick, likely something more like 10th overall. Basically, a standard wasted season, the classic Leafs treadmill. Probably the best option for the team long-term though.

I must say, I'm not loving any of these options.

I can't agree with this. They played at a 100+ pt pace after the allstar break with this exact lineup except they didn't have Kabs on the PP at the end and have added Liles. The doormats below them are still going to be doormats (Florida adds Jovo and Campbell and they are going to start winning?) and most of the clubs above them have made no real improvements. There is as much a chance they finish 16th as 20th with no addiitions at all (didn't they actually have the 11th best record after the break?). Hoarding cap space for nothing is pointless and wishing to finish 20th because you think the draft pick will be much better than at 16th isn't a proven way to add better talent. 11th best record in the league with a 32 point -29 #1 center. Do you really think it isn't a good idea to see what even a modest upgrade could do? All they really need is for people other than bozak not to play worse. That isn't a tall order.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

No way Burke lets this team be bottom 5. He wouldn't when on the verge so he picked up Kessel, and he won't this year.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I already made my stance pretty clear, one more year out of the playoffs won't be acceptable to me. I am not going to pin my hopes on some kid that could be drafted in the top 5 next season. Hopefully Burke will find a deal out there that makes sense, and we'll move forward not back. I won't tolerate finishing in the bottom 5 again after making some strides this past season.
I don't see this year being an enjoyable one. Having to rely on Grabo to have another season like last year's and Mac to be just as good doesn't give me confidence, you can put Reims in that same boat. I could be proven wrong but to many ifs and holes in the lineup to be confident.

Old
Vinner

Quote:
No, I would not like that.

6 years has been plenty. If there isn't enough in the cupboard by now oh well, you're taking to ****ing long.. let's speed this up a tad.

I am as diehard as they come, but I am not waiting for that prospect to develop to watch playoff hockey. That is ridiculous, by that point it would be 9-10 years out of the playoffs.

Vinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
No way Burke lets this team be bottom 5. He wouldn't when on the verge so he picked up Kessel, and he won't this year.
So we are going to make another short-sighted trade?

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm glad we didn't overpay for any of those average players yesterday, but man I'm still kinda shocked we haven't signed a single player. We are the Toronto ****in Maple Leafs!

Old
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
OMG!! I wish we could all just stop talking about offer sheeting Stamkos. Fact is, Burke has openly said he doesnt do that and it wouldnt matter if he did anyway because Tampa would simply match.

THE END!
In reality your right, Stamkos isn't coming here. But if you think Burke won't threaten to offersheet JT next year your dead wrong. Guaranteed.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
I'm glad we didn't overpay for any of those average players yesterday, but man I'm still kinda shocked we haven't signed a single player. We are the Toronto ****in Maple Leafs!
We have become an irrelevant franchise to other players in the league now?

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Proteautype Adam Proteau
by TheHockeyNews
If it makes Leafs fans feel better, Brian Burke did make a successful offer today – $75 for a cab ride home from the airport.

Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I can't agree with this. They played at a 100+ pt pace after the allstar break with this exact lineup except they didn't have Kabs on the PP at the end and have added Liles. The doormats below them are still going to be doormats (Florida adds Jovo and Campbell and they are going to start winning?) and most of the clubs above them have made no real improvements. There is as much a chance they finish 16th as 20th with no addiitions at all (didn't they actually have the 11th best record after the break?). Hoarding cap space for nothing is pointless and wishing to finish 20th because you think the draft pick will be much better than at 16th isn't a proven way to add better talent. 11th best record in the league with a 32 point -29 #1 center. Do you really think it isn't a good idea to see what even a modest upgrade could do? All they really need is for people other than bozak not to play worse. That isn't a tall order.
Haven't we seen enough of this to not be leary of a hullicinatory late season push.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:43 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
How could he be a free agent next year?
My mistake didn't know he had signed a 3 year deal for 3 million.

Old
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
So we are going to make another short-sighted trade?
I dunno, ask Burke

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TMLeafer

Stay away from Weiss. I'd rather pursue Connolly.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
In reality your right, Stamkos isn't coming here. But if you think Burke won't threaten to offersheet JT next year your dead wrong. Guaranteed.
No Im not and he wont....guaranteed.

ya throw a snowball.....good chance you get one back atcha.

Now if JT played for Edmonton....that be a different story.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote