HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving To Ottawa

Old
09-23-2011, 01:07 AM
djcreepshow

vCash: 500
Moving To Ottawa

Hey everybody,

My GF got a new job and we are moving to Ottawa from Halifax on October 1st. Ottawa seems like a nice city, a few good record stores, comic shops, restaurants, etc. I am stoked to be living in an NHL city after all these years. I have heard that it's a pretty safe city with just a few areas to be wary of. We will be staying in Old Ottawa South on Windsor Ave off of Riverdale Ave near Bank St. I hear it is a good neighbourhood, although we may only be there for a month or two until we find an apartment.

Does anyone have any tips for living in Ottawa? I keep hearing that the best area to live in is the Glebe. It seems like a pretty cool place. We definitely want to live in the city and are hoping we can find a place (that we can afford) in the Glebe.

Any advice for living in Ottawa would be greatly appreciated. Also, being a Bruins fan, will I have to deal with much grief there? I'm not an annoying, in-your- face B's fan and I'm sure I'll be safer in Ottawa than I would be in Montreal!

Looking forward to Ottawa!

Thanks everyone,
Glenn

djcreepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:20 AM
BeerandHockey
╚(_)╝

Grew up in Old Ottawa South on Riverdale which is connected to Windsor. Great neighborhood. Old Ottawa South is better then the Glebe IMHO, and they are right next to each other. I have lived in both areas. Anywhere around that part of the City is laid back.

BeerandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:59 AM
dacostalove

ottawa's very similar to halifax. that's all i've got

dacostalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:48 AM
koreaboy

you better have a LOT of money if you expect to live in the glebe. if you are coming from down east, you are going to notice that housing prices are significantly higher here. you better have a family income of $200K+ and a fair bit of money in the bank right now if you expect to buy a house in the glebe.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:59 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacostalove View Post
ottawa's very similar to halifax. that's all i've got
I wish ottawa was more like halifax in many ways however its not ottawa could be better no quuestion but its not as bad as some seem to think.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:01 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcreepshow View Post
Hey everybody,

My GF got a new job and we are moving to Ottawa from Halifax on October 1st. Ottawa seems like a nice city, a few good record stores, comic shops, restaurants, etc. I am stoked to be living in an NHL city after all these years. I have heard that it's a pretty safe city with just a few areas to be wary of. We will be staying in Old Ottawa South on Windsor Ave off of Riverdale Ave near Bank St. I hear it is a good neighbourhood, although we may only be there for a month or two until we find an apartment.

Does anyone have any tips for living in Ottawa? I keep hearing that the best area to live in is the Glebe. It seems like a pretty cool place. We definitely want to live in the city and are hoping we can find a place (that we can afford) in the Glebe.

Any advice for living in Ottawa would be greatly appreciated. Also, being a Bruins fan, will I have to deal with much grief there? I'm not an annoying, in-your- face B's fan and I'm sure I'll be safer in Ottawa than I would be in Montreal!

Thanks everyone,
Glenn
Its not cheap to live in the glebe as it it one of ottawa's higher end areas i would suggest you look at downtown even sandy hill area is not all that bad.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Glebe is unreasonably expensive. However Centretown is a very pleasant neighbourhood and it's just north of the Glebe and you can walk down to the Glebe any time you want. Centretown is bounded by Bronson to the west, the Canal to the east, the skyscrapers to the north, and the Queensway to the south - but bear in mind that anything between Elgin Street and the Canal (the Golden Triangle) is at a premium. I highly recommend just walking around the neighbourhood and looking for "For Rent" signs - I lived in Centretown for three years and found a great little apartment that way.

Some people - especially ads on craigslist/kijiji - refer to the area between Bronson and Rochester as being part of Centretown, but it's not. It can be a bit of an iffy area (stay the hell away from the apartment blocks on Bell Street!!), but it's up-and-coming and there are some decent places to be had if you have the time to really look for one. Biggest downside is that any stores in that area are little mom-and-pop affairs - no Tim's, no Starbucks, no grocery stores, no nothing. Sucks if you're the type to just walk to the store.

Also, I went on a few dates a while back with a girl who worked for Paramount Properties - she told me that even their rental offices have roaches (and I lived in one of their roach-infested buildings for eight months). If you see their name, run like hell.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:30 AM
The Illusive Man
Head of Cerberus

You are really unlikely to get ripped on very often from our fans when you come here. There are a lot of Leafers and Habs fans here, I hardly see anyone give them much grief and same from them towards our fans, at least from my experience, it's really just friendly teasing for the most part.

The Illusive Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Brit6

Welcome to the capital of Canada (whoever named that should be fired)

Ottawa is a pretty boring city, but I imagine its a little more exciting than Halifax?

At least your inbetween Montreal and Toronto so expect to making a lot of road trips in your near future

Brit6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit6 View Post

Ottawa is a pretty boring city, but I imagine its a little more exciting than Halifax?

At least your inbetween Montreal and Toronto so expect to making a lot of road trips in your near future
This city is what you make of it .. if you can't have fun in this town, either your standards are too high or you need to redefine your definition of "fun". There are plenty of bars, restaurants that rival what you'd find in MTL/TOR but at a fraction of the price and none of the ego, no shortage of festivals, unlimited outdoor pursuits within an hour's drive in any direction, countless museums, professional sports, several live theatre venues ... the list goes on.

If you want to be at a rave until 7:00 in the morning, then yeah, Ottawa's not the place. But for just about anything else, Ottawa has what any other major city has.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:50 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

Ottawa is not that boring there is lots to do could it be better sure but its not a boring city.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:51 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Riverdale is a pretty sweet spot man. Right off Bank st which at the moment is under contruction. Easy access to all the shops, and to downtown, and a pretty good neighbourhood too.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:16 AM
sliceOFtrance

Stay out of Vanier past midnight.

sliceOFtrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:00 AM
jbeck5

Quote:

You must be boring if you can't find anything to do here. Tell me what you like to do in other cities (mtl/tor) that you cannot do here?

It's a city with over a million people with hundreds of bars, hundreds of restaurants, 100s of other attractions etc. You can Go out every night of the year without going to the same place twice. Either you're lying when you say ottawa is boring, or you're the type to sit on a couch, and do nothing and say it's boring here.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Afro Thunder*

You came at the right time, our bus transit service is running in perfect condition without any hiccups or problems so you can tour the city in the most comfortable and efficient way.

Good luck.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:08 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
You must be boring if you can't find anything to do here. Tell me what you like to do in other cities (mtl/tor) that you cannot do here?

It's a city with over a million people with hundreds of bars, hundreds of restaurants, 100s of other attractions etc. You can Go out every night of the year without going to the same place twice. Either you're lying when you say ottawa is boring, or you're the type to sit on a couch, and do nothing and say it's boring here.
Some love to toss out that ottawa is boring with out really knowing what ottawa has then you have some that just don't like ottawa for what ever reason.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:15 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Umm... Queen Victoria I?

Also, I believe that the icy cold hand of death has beat you to that whole "firing" part by at least 110 years.

Fun Fact: Elizabeth's eldest grandson was Friedrich Wilhelm, AKA Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, one of history's truly incompetent rulers, responsible for not only firing one of Europe's greatest political minds in Bismarck, but also practically single-handedly bringing on WWI through his bumbling and unnecessarily agressive policies.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:40 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Hey everybody,

Thanks everyone,
Glenn

What is your price range Glenn?

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:16 PM
MikeyMagic

Send a message via MSN to MikeyMagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliceOFtrance View Post
Stay out of Vanier past midnight.

Hey now Vanier has everything you need. Groceries, laundromat, subway, hookers, crack. What more could you ask for!? Oh and the Playmate.

MikeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Valley Boys

Old Ottawa South is nice area, man. You definitely might end up staying there longer than you think! People have recommended a lot of good central neighbourhoods - basically moving up Bank St. (Glebe/Centertown). You might also want to have a look at the 'Golden Triangle,' between Elgin and the Canal. Personally, I would exclude looking in the market. I think it's overpriced and not worth the trouble you get.

With the exception of Bell St (which isn't that bad anymore), any of the 'to avoid' areas are probably further out than you're looking. There's almost no chance you'll accidentally stumble into one.

Past that people are right, if you like endless clubbing options, murderous commutes, overpriced housing and smog, Ottawa's probably not the place for you. People that call the city boring probably aren't fans of the amenities on offer. And that's fine. But for me, my season snowboarding pass is $79 (it's a 20 minute drive), we cross-country ski and white water kayak within the urban portion of our city, endless bike paths make it safe and reasonable to leave the car at home. But the best part is that NHL games are affordable here. And attended by fans, as opposed to the senior lawyer of some corporate sponsor.

On the downside, I think it's true that Ottawa folk are a little less social than other parts of the country. I've heard from transplants that it can be much slower to make friends here than other places. But if you persevere through that, I think you'll find that Ottawa is the kind of place that it's easy to build a really comfortable, really great lifestyle.

Last. Go find 'The Manx' on Elgin. Expect to wait for a table, but that should remind you a little bit of home.

Good Luck

Valley Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMagic View Post
Hey now Vanier has everything you need. Groceries, laundromat, subway, hookers, crack. What more could you ask for!? Oh and the Playmate.
...and where else can you play bingo at midnight?

Old
09-23-2011, 02:02 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
I went to Hopewell ave PS for a couple years so I know old ottawa south pretty well. It's a nice area. I live in the Glebe and it is a great place but right now bank st is getting ripped up again ... anyway the prices are probably on the upper scale here for rent but if you can afford it is well worth it.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Hey everybody,

My GF got a new job and we are moving to Ottawa from Halifax on October 1st.
Number one piece of advice for the Haligonian moving to Ottawa - There is a place with donair that's almost as good as the real (Halifax) thing. We went to Halifax last summer, and then spent some time trying to find donair that didn't require driving halfway across the country.

It's a place called Centretown Pizza, and it's at Bronson and Florence. It's not quite as good, but it's close.

Quote:
I keep hearing that the best area to live in is the Glebe.
I couldn't deal with a lot of the Glebe people. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I would likely hate a solid 10% of my neighbours.

Quote:
Also, being a Bruins fan, will I have to deal with much grief there?
This is my best piece of advice - Go to Olympiques games. You can thank me later. I won't hold it against you if you cheer for the Mooseheads on February 29th, but I'm sure you'll be sucked right in to our rowdy crowd pretty quickly.

If nothing else, David Krejč played junior for the Olympiques! Not that he's a Bruin anymore, but Michael Ryder was an Olympique, and Claude Julien used to be our coach! (So did Alain Vigneault, but forget I said that )

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:58 PM
mikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMagic View Post
Dated a girl that lived there and I have never seen so many junkies cracked out of their minds wandering the streets in my life. One hooker flashed me and the gf while we were waiting at a light once. She was 40+ and I puked a bit in my mouth.

mikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Valley Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
Number one piece of advice for the Haligonian moving to Ottawa - There is a place with donair that's almost as good as the real (Halifax) thing. We went to Halifax last summer, and then spent some time trying to find donair that didn't require driving halfway across the country.

It's a place called Centretown Pizza, and it's at Bronson and Florence. It's not quite as good, but it's close.

I couldn't deal with a lot of the Glebe people. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I would likely hate a solid 10% of my neighbours.

This is my best piece of advice - Go to Olympiques games. You can thank me later. I won't hold it against you if you cheer for the Mooseheads on February 29th, but I'm sure you'll be sucked right in to our rowdy crowd pretty quickly.

If nothing else, David Krejč played junior for the Olympiques! Not that he's a Bruin anymore, but Michael Ryder was an Olympique, and Claude Julien used to be our coach! (So did Alain Vigneault, but forget I said that )
Olympiques playoff games are phenomenal!! I'll give you that. But he can also come by the 67s to see Spooner and Hamilton when they come to town.

Valley Boys is offline   Reply With Quote