HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2011-2012 Sens Lineup/Roster Thread Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Can anyone actually explain to me how Michalek went from playing LW in San Jose to being so bad at LW that we are forcing a talented player like Butler down in the lineup in order to bully Michalek into that 1st line RW spot…

Is it possible that the fact that his production magically explodes when at RW with the Senators may just be an anomaly
Because Michalek played RW in SJ and was much more effective from that side. Even on the Sens almost all of his dangerous drives come from him riding the right side. He's much more dangerous on the right, and he's more talented than Butler.

A line of Filatov - Spezza - Michalek just has so much more potential than a Spezza - Butler combo.

Old
07-05-2011, 07:36 PM
HSF

Quote:
Can anyone actually explain to me how Michalek went from playing LW in San Jose to being so bad at LW that we are forcing a talented player like Butler down in the lineup in order to bully Michalek into that 1st line RW spot…

Is it possible that the fact that his production magically explodes when at RW with the Senators may just be an anomaly
he doesnt match well with spezza and well no one matches well with Fisher.

i would give Zbad a shot with him and Alfie.

Old
07-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

If we ever see this line all i can say is!
Filatov - Spezza - Butler

Welcome to Ottawa Nail Yakupov!

Old
07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I honestly can`t believe how much you people have soured on Butler...based on god knows what. The season wasn`t that long ago, holy crap. Don`t make me bump the thread.

Old
07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarlsson09 View Post
If we ever see this line all i can say is!
Filatov - Spezza - Butler

Welcome to Ottawa Nail Yakupov!

This!

Though probably not bottom of the league extreme, I just think that's a really bad, soft line.

Quote:
I honestly can`t believe how much you people have soured on Butler...based on god knows what. The season wasn`t that long ago, holy crap. Don`t make me bump the thread.
How are we being sour on him? By pointing out that there are more talented players? He's a good sniper, but I think that there are better players on the team or in the prospect pool. I don't think anyone is putting him down.

Old
07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Thats what i think to a line of Greening-Spezza-Michalek would be way better since greening could create space for michalek and he would be dangerous since he would be on is good side...and greening-spezza seem to work well. and is +/- wont be as bad as butler lol

Old
07-05-2011, 08:08 PM
EJsens1

Quote:
Um, this is the line-up thread.

Yeah, yeah...

Are you not going to address the issue I brought up where you said

Quote:
Greening produced a tad bit more playing with better linemates, which he will not have this coming season.
What is your basis for that claim?

Old
07-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I don't think Greening ought to get top-6 ice time unless injuries happen or one of Michalek, butler or Filatov underperform.

Injuries will happen but then again I could say Regin would get first line ice time if Spezza choked on a pretzel.

Old
07-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
I don't think Greening ought to get top-6 ice time unless injuries happen or one of Michalek, butler or Filatov underperform.

Injuries will happen but then again I could say Regin would get first line ice time if Spezza choked on a pretzel.
you laugh, but if someone tells a joke while he is eating disaster could strike!

Old
07-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Things change constantly, adding Filatov and Konopka made things more interesting and gave the Sens more options in their lineup.

Not long ago I suggested Smith was going to be the third line center, and the idea was unacceptable for many posters. I put Smith in that position based on what I had heard Murray say about him, now that Konopka has been signed, it seems Murray is thinking Smith will be the third line center. Things change.

Murray also said he wanted to add to the top six, acquires Filatov and clearly indicates Filatov is in the top six. So it seems the Sens have pencilled in Alfie, Michalek, Spezza and Filatov to start the season, leaving two opening, a center and winger.

Second line center, the job is Zibanejad's to lose if I have read what Murray has been saying correctly. IMO for Regin or Da Costa to start the season as the second line center, they will have to overshadow Zibanejad decisively. Possible, but not likely considering Regin is coming off shoulder surgery and Da Costa just hasn't shown he is ready.

The winger is more difficult, because of the questions surrounding Michalek. Should he be on the right side or left side? and more importantly does his game compliment Spezza's?

The other question, who would the Sens prefer as Zibby's wingers? would they want a rookie center playing with Filatov? The only other question to be answered, can Butler play on his off-wing and be successful? can Butler provide more than Greening on the left side?

In an attempt to answer the questions, the top two lines could be Spezza, Filatov, Alfie and Greening/Butler, Zibanejad, Michalek.

This leaves Da Costa, Regin, Smith, Foligno, Neil, Konopka, Winchester, Condra, O'Brien and Daugavins, and one of Greening or Butler for the bottom six positions.

Considering Neil, Smith, and Konopka are probably in the lineup, it looks like eight players looking for three jobs. The easy answer is to eliminate players on 2-way contracts, or a trade is a necessity.

Go ahead pick'em, it doesn't matter, it is only an armchair GM game anyway!

Old
07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Things change constantly, adding Filatov and Konopka made things more interesting and gave the Sens more options in their lineup.

Not long ago I suggested Smith was going to be the third line center, and the idea was unacceptable for many posters. I put Smith in that position based on what I had heard Murray say about him, now that Konopka has been signed, it seems Murray is thinking Smith will be the third line center. Things change.

Murray also said he wanted to add to the top six, acquires Filatov and clearly indicates Filatov is in the top six. So it seems the Sens have pencilled in Alfie, Michalek, Spezza and Filatov to start the season, leaving two opening, a center and winger.

Second line center, the job is Zibanejad's to lose if I have read what Murray has been saying correctly. IMO for Regin or Da Costa to start the season as the second line center, they will have to overshadow Zibanejad decisively. Possible, but not likely considering Regin is coming off shoulder surgery and Da Costa just hasn't shown he is ready.

The winger is more difficult, because of the questions surrounding Michalek. Should he be on the right side or left side? and more importantly does his game compliment Spezza's?

The other question, who would the Sens prefer as Zibby's wingers? would they want a rookie center playing with Filatov? The only other question to be answered, can Butler play on his off-wing and be successful? can Butler provide more than Greening on the left side?

In an attempt to answer the questions, the top two lines could be Spezza, Filatov, Alfie and Greening/Butler, Zibanejad, Michalek.

This leaves Da Costa, Regin, Smith, Foligno, Neil, Konopka, Winchester, Condra, O'Brien and Daugavins, and one of Greening or Butler for the bottom six positions.

Considering Neil, Smith, and Konopka are probably in the lineup, it looks like eight players looking for three jobs. The easy answer is to eliminate players on 2-way contracts, or a trade is a necessity.

Go ahead pick'em, it doesn't matter, it is only an armchair GM game anyway!
Agreed!

Good post.

Old
07-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Senateurs
Let's win it all

Filatov-Spezza-Michalek
Foligno-Regin-Alfi
Butler-Greening/Zib-Condra
Smith-Konopka-Neil

Extra: Da Costa-Winchester

Kuba-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Lee

Extra: Rundblad-Carkner

Anderson-Auld

Old
07-05-2011, 11:19 PM
tubby

Unless Regin surprises this season, I don't see how he fits into Murray's plans. With Zibanejad most likely being here next season and Da Costa fighting for a center spot as well, the ice is awfully thin for Regin right now. I hope he does well.

Old
07-06-2011, 05:14 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Filatov played a center in repre too not only a winger. Plus he has good FO maybe you could try him on this post.

Old
07-06-2011, 06:24 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
This is how I see it shaking out.

Filatov-Spezza-Michalek
Buter-Regin-Alfi
Folignio-Greening-Condra
Smith-Konopka-Neil

Extra: Da Costa-Winchester

Kuba-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Rundblad

Extra: Lee-Carkner

Anderson-Auld

Now There is always a camp surprise or two. Da costa needs some Ahl time. I agree with all the posters who say that Regin's days could be numbered. We all pretty much think Filatov will stick but there is a possibility he could bust.
I really like that fourth line though = not fun to play against

Old
07-06-2011, 07:18 AM
DenGC

I can't believe how many of yous are down on Regin based on one bad season, playing along side a non-existant Kovalev in a season when the entire team sucked.
Regin WILL be and SHOULD be centering the second line...... unless someone is brought in via a trade.
He has the skill-set to make it happen, but is hampered as both Da Costa and Zibanejad will be. Lack of quality support.

Zibanejad as second line center for the 2011-12 season = Fail
Good way to ruin a prospect. Straight out of A much lesser physical league, right after his draft year. There has only been a handful of prospect who experienced success when thrown in the deep end, and I seriously doubt Zibanejad would accomplish that. Let him stay in Sweden for another season and then let him mature in Binghamton afterwards. No need to rush.
Maybe and only maybe if there was a quality cast on his wings. But be honest and tell me exactly which of the following you all see as suitable, dependable, year in year out quality top six wingers:
Alfredsson: Past his prime
Michalek: in-consistant and in need of quality center to play with.
Filatov: Former 1rd pick. Big question mark. Young and in need of support himself.
Foligno: 3-line, and occasional 2nd line sub.
Butler/Greening/Smith: All played well at the end, but still in-experienced at this level. Surprised if any turns out better than bottom six guys in the long run.
Neil/Winchester: Bottom six for life.

Da Costa is, in my opinion, Binghamton bound if used at center position. A long way from a top six role.

The future looks bright considering the type of prospects, but give it time.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:21 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Second line center, the job is Zibanejad's to lose if I have read what Murray has been saying correctly.
He needs to be signed within the next 8 days to play next season.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Methot Man
The Rhythm Methot

Filatov-Spezza-Michalek
Butler-Regin-Alfredsson
Foligno-Smith-Neil
Greening-Konopka-Condra

13th Forward: Winchester

Phillips-Rundblad
Kuba-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar

7th/8th "D": Lee/Carkner

Anderson
Auld

Who the hell is going to score the goals? At least the fights will be entertaining.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:24 AM
emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post

I thought people would have learned this by now....Michalek=completely different player on the right.
I don't know where this "Michalek is way better as a RW" sentiment comes from. There's nothing to it. He played both wings in SJ and what little RW he's played in Ottawa has not shown him to be any more effective there.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:33 AM
operasen

Regin can also play the LW slot and he's like Greening in that regard - a space creator. If Zibanejad does stick or DaCosta play this year in the 2C, he could be the LW spot across from Alfredsson. He could also team up nicely on the 3rd line with a Regin - Smith - Condra type of look.

Greening and Filatov can play centre, but I like them increasing our LW depth which has been weak for years. I do not think Butler plays off his wing either and the issue of a (two way?) contract may be a hold up to his signing.

If Butler and Condra do not make it this year, we'll have a boatload of rookies next year. I could see a huge turnover if guys like Hoffman, Silfverberg, Petersson, Condra, Butler, Zibanejad (never mind two or three more D and Lehner) are entering their rookie years.

Murray could change 16 players in two years at this rate.

Last edited by operasen: 07-06-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old
07-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
He needs to be signed within the next 8 days to play next season.
I had read that July 15th was the deadline in an aticle written in the Citizen by Panzeri.

"If the Senators sign him before July 15, he can try out for the NHL club and stay with them if he makes the team, bypassing the final year of his Swedish contract. But if he doesnít make the Senators, he goes back to Djurgarden."

However, everything I have read, the transfer agreement between the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation and the NHL has no mention of a July 15th date. This is what has been written in a number of publications:

"The agreement is valid for two years, until the 2011-2012 season. The NHL will play $225,000 U.S. for each player that leaves the Eliteserien, which is an increase of $25,000 compared to the previous agreement. The deadline for the transfer of players signed to contracts is June 15th, and, for players who are signed during their NHL Entry Draft year, August 15.

The agreement allows players up to 22 years old, who were drafted in the first round, to play for Swedish clubs if they don't play in the NHL.

Also, players under 22 who havenít been drafted in the first round may return to the Elitserien if they canít make the NHL club roster."

Old
07-06-2011, 10:37 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Pretty sure Michalek played just as much LW in San Jose too, Michalek-Thornton-Cheechoo line.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I want to see some peoples lineups if all of the following scenarios go down:

-Silfverberg plays in Ottawa
-Zibanejad plays in Ottawa
-Only one of Rundblad/Cowen makes the team

Old
07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Shanny