HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What top 4 Defensemen will Isles land?

Old
07-02-2011, 03:43 PM
ziggy7716

vCash: 500
What top 4 Defensemen will Isles land?

Yesterday Strang quoted Snow as saying he was going to bring in a top 4 defensemen but it was most likely going to be through trade because the FA market defensemen didn't intrigue him. I was thinking about the following guys who could be available.

Keith Ballard
Jay Bouwmeester
Keith Yandle
Matt Carle
Ron Hainsey
Zach Bogosian

Did I forget anyone? Those are all the guys I can think of who have been rumored to be available. Which one would you guys choose or the most realistic target? I say its Keith Yandle, for a few reasons. The Coyotes are Owned by the NHL and have a uncertain future beyond this season if they don't find a owner, so they may inclined to move him, Also Bob McKenzie tweeted yesterday that the Coyotes were gauging Yandle's value because there is a chance they could move him, and lastly Snow and Maloney have a pretty good relationship and have worked together on deals in the past. I really do feel this is who Snow is targeting. Landing him would be incredible for this team.

Unless Snow shocks us and lands a guy like Jack Johnson or Vlasic that no one knew were even available I have a feeling its going to be one of these guys in this list

*I didn't list Doughty or Weber because they are pipedreams.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:55 PM
kasper11

There are going to be a few solid second pairing guys available. Washington has a glut of dmen, Buffalo may have trouble re-signing Sekeras, Nashville may have to move a dman if Ellis is ready, Philly may still have to move a dman to re-sign Simmonds, not to mention there are still a few UFAs (Kaberle, Hannan etc).

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:59 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
There are going to be a few solid second pairing guys available. Washington has a glut of dmen, Buffalo may have trouble re-signing Sekeras, Nashville may have to move a dman if Ellis is ready, Philly may still have to move a dman to re-sign Simmonds, not to mention there are still a few UFAs (Kaberle, Hannan etc).
I agree, I would take Hannan or Kaberle, but judging by the comments I see him going trade route.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:02 PM
anthjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Yesterday Strang quoted Snow as saying he was going to bring in a top 4 defensemen but it was most likely going to be through trade because the FA market defensemen didn't intrigue him. I was thinking about the following guys who could be available.

Keith Ballard
Jay Bouwmeester
Keith Yandle
Matt Carle
Ron Hainsey
Zach Bogosian

Did I forget anyone? Those are all the guys I can think of who have been rumored to be available. Which one would you guys choose or the most realistic target? I say its Keith Yandle, for a few reasons. The Coyotes are Owned by the NHL and have a uncertain future beyond this season if they don't find a owner, so they may inclined to move him, Also Bob McKenzie tweeted yesterday that the Coyotes were gauging Yandle's value because there is a chance they could move him, and lastly Snow and Maloney have a pretty good relationship and have worked together on deals in the past. I really do feel this is who Snow is targeting. Landing him would be incredible for this team.

Unless Snow shocks us and lands a guy like Jack Johnson or Vlasic that no one knew were even available I have a feeling its going to be one of these guys in this list

And what exactly, do you think the price would be on Keith Yandle? He's also a pipedream. Is he available? Probably. I can guarantee though, that Maloney would START with one of Okposo, Bailey or Niederreiter and insist upon a defenseman (Hamonic or MacDonald) and finish the phone call a request of a 1st round pick in 2012

anthjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:

Keith Ballard
Jay Bouwmeester
Keith Yandle
Matt Carle
Ron Hainsey
Zach Bogosian

Snow is not a trade master. I say none of the above.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:07 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I'd be ok with Kaberle, but only on like a 1 or 2 year contract. plus, are we confident in de Haan yet?

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:14 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthjo View Post
And what exactly, do you think the price would be on Keith Yandle? He's also a pipedream. Is he available? Probably. I can guarantee though, that Maloney would START with one of Okposo, Bailey or Niederreiter and insist upon a defenseman (Hamonic or MacDonald) and finish the phone call a request of a 1st round pick in 2012
No way shape or form is Yandle a pipedream. One of Bailey, KO or Nino is fine.

Bailey
De Haan
1st pick in 2012

That should get it done. I would drive De Haan and Bailey to the airport myself for Yandle

Old
07-02-2011, 04:21 PM
islesfan1821

Would love Yandle but i feel he is out of our reach (i hope i am wrong)

As for Kaberle I would pass he looked slow during the playoffs and looks lost in the defensive zone most of the time. Great PP defensemen but i would stay away from him, besides Garth said he was staying away from free agency.

islesfan1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
No way shape or form is Yandle a pipedream. One of Bailey, KO or Nino is fine.

Bailey
De Haan
1st pick in 2012

That should get it done. I would drive De Haan and Bailey to the airport myself for Yandle
Ok. Swap Bailey for Okposo or Nino. Still good with it?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Snow is not a trade master. I say none of the above.
What trade has Garth Snow actually lost?

Turning Comrie & Campoli into a 1st round pick qualifies him as a Master in my book.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:38 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
What trade has Garth Snow actually lost?

Turning Comrie & Campoli into a 1st round pick qualifies him as a Master in my book.
Zhitnik is the closet I'd say he's come to losing a trade. Just because he should have shopped him around more-not because he necessarily lost it.

Or trading down to pick Bailey (but that can obviously change based on Bailey's development).

edit: I think he's on ok trader. Nothing too great-but certainly nothing too bad either.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Snow went after Ehrhoff with a 33 million dollar deal. He then says they will go for a trade instead of free agency with good top 4 dmen in White (comments were before Red Wing deal), Hannan and Kaberle still out there. Bob Mckenzie then says PHO is entertaining offers for Yandle.

Do I see a fit?

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:02 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Zhitnik is the closet I'd say he's come to losing a trade. Just because he should have shopped him around more-not because he necessarily lost it.

Or trading down to pick Bailey (but that can obviously change based on Bailey's development).

edit: I think he's on ok trader. Nothing too great-but certainly nothing too bad either.
Considering that we got Hamonic out of that deal, I don't think we can say he lost the trade. Not to mention that most people wanted Filatov at #5, who is worth less than Bailey.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:02 PM
F127

I'd say be prepared for a Tom Gilbert type player. I don't see a lot of great options and I highly doubt Snow will pay the price for players of Yandle's caliber. Would love to see a guy like Yandle coming the Isles way but expecting Gilbert quality.

F127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:07 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles78 View Post
I'd say be prepared for a Tom Gilbert type player. I don't see a lot of great options and I highly doubt Snow will pay the price for players of Yandle's caliber. Would love to see a guy like Yandle coming the Isles way but expecting Gilbert quality.
Tom Gilbert is a load of garbage (or a type of player similar to him)
do you want a yandle for 6 mil or a gilbert for 4-4.5 mil?
I think Garth will look into Yandle but it would have to be after Aug. 1 and the arena deal passes....
Patience is the key in these deals....

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:11 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

The thing that bothers me is all the players listed are core guys. I would rather not give up a core guys for one topline dman. I say we sign someone as a placeholder for CDH.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:17 PM
ScaredStreit

Offer sheet Doughty! I know it's just a pipe-dream, and wont happen, but it would be a great move.

Old
07-02-2011, 05:31 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Offer sheet Doughty! I know it's just a pipe-dream, and wont happen, but it would be a great move.
Offer sheeting is a win, win, lose
Win- you are going after a player
Win- if you dont sign him, you dont have to give up picks
Lose- it creates a bad relationship with the other GM

However, we dont really deal with the Kings (besides that Sopel, Parrish trade for Grebeshkov and Tamba)
I wouldn't have a problem but it wouldn't happen

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:45 PM
islesfan1821

Quote:
Would love to see garth do this but he already said he is not going to offer sheet anyone

islesfan1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
majormet

I like the UFA in Anton Babchuk for this team, he is a good gamble, could be top pairing and drop to bottom pairing when De Haan is ready.

Other than that, the price on Boghosian or Yandle would be steep.

Adrian Aucoin could be a good stopgap, but not sure if he is on the market.

I think McCabe would be a bottom pairing guy, he appeared shot from last year.

Kaberle is as good as the guys around him, so he might be an expensive risk.

Doubt guys like Johnson or Doughty would be available.

If Snow trades for a guy, it will be someone that is a 3/4 on a solid team that can be a temporary 1/2 on the Island. Probably a guy like Wideman.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Snow went after Ehrhoff with a 33 million dollar deal. He then says they will go for a trade instead of free agency with good top 4 dmen in White (comments were before Red Wing deal), Hannan and Kaberle still out there. Bob Mckenzie then says PHO is entertaining offers for Yandle.

Do I see a fit?
Maloney did Garth a solid with Montoya, so they have a good relationship.

And yes, what also kind of has me going "hmm" is Snow's emphatic "we will not offersheet." Snow rarely reveals his methods, so I'm curious why is being so upfront.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Yitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by upshalling View Post
The thing that bothers me is all the players listed are core guys. I would rather not give up a core guys for one topline dman. I say we sign someone as a placeholder for CDH.
Yandle would instantly become a part of our core and he's well worth trading away bailey, CDH and a 1st. That package would probably get it done, too.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:50 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post

And yes, what also kind of has me going "hmm" is Snow's emphatic "we will not offersheet." Snow rarely reveals his methods, so I'm curious why is being so upfront.
Good point, that does raise an eyebrow.

Old
07-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
Yandle would instantly become a part of our core and he's well worth trading away bailey, CDH and a 1st. That package would probably get it done, too.
If he's well worth it, I can't help but wonder why no other team would offer a comparable or package, or moreover why Phoenix would even accept that offer. Keep in mind, Phoenix has to make the cap floor also.

Don't get me wrong, not saying Yandle's not worth that. Just saying that when trading for a player like Yandle, what you're giving up should hurt.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post

It's the subtle mentions like that (also outright saying he will trade for a dman) and the obvious fit for the Islanders. Yandle is what they need and they have the assets for him.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote