HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Boxing Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-18-2011, 07:50 PM
  #251
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,840
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
Enough is enough.

Manny vs Mayweather please, Pacman will beat the **** out of this ***** for good.
I think Mayweather beats him if they fight. I doubt it will be like his performance yesterday, he will probably be a lot more defensive but I think he will get it done.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
09-18-2011, 10:07 PM
  #252
Nachoman AlfieSavage*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eating nachos up top
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I think Mayweather beats him if they fight. I doubt it will be like his performance yesterday, he will probably be a lot more defensive but I think he will get it done.
Manny would obliterate Mayweather

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline  
Old
09-19-2011, 12:28 AM
  #253
Andre Boudrias
Registered User
 
Andre Boudrias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,465
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
What was Ortiz expecting? He headbutted Mayweather a few times before he got a point taken off. I couldnt stand the hugging + kissing which he tried a few times. Im glad he got owned.

When it comes to Manny - Mayweather, I just dont see Manny beating Floyd. In my honest opinion I think it would be a 12 round boxing lesson giving by Floyd.

It would be really hard for Manny to get inside Mayweather, Manny would eat a lot of fast jabs from Floyd, making it extremely hard considering his freakishly long reach.

Thats the Key to Mayweathers success, His long reach. He just doesnt let anybody go inside him while he dishes it out. Add to his reach, his quickness, great physical shape, great defence, and intelligence, can Manny actually beat him? I dont think so.

Andre Boudrias is offline  
Old
09-19-2011, 10:08 AM
  #254
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Floyd was gonna win regardless. I had 3-0 Floyd at that point. And was gonna win round 4 10-8. Ortiz was in over his head.

Mayweather got headbutted yet he is the bad guy, I don't get it. Cortez definitely wasn't looking but they touched gloves and its "Protect yourself at all times" If Cortez didn't restart in then why did he count out Ortiz?
Because Cortez is an old fool. Any boxing fan knows that ending was BS. And yeah, Mayweather would've won anyhow but now he has another asterisk on his already spotty record. You must not watch much boxing if you think what Ortiz did was on the same level as what Mayweather did.

DaaaaB's is offline  
Old
09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
  #255
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 18,603
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescently View Post
Mayweather is a loser, and he will always be a loser. Forget boxing, that ****sucker is a disgrace to the human race. ****ing low iq waste of human skin who deserves to be mopping the floor of some run down McDonalds.

I ****ing hate this clown with every fiber of my being. He is a ****ing loser, a ****ing unintelligent ********* and I can only hope that the ****sucker doesn't breed and subject the world to his dna getting passed on to his moronic kids dooming us to at least 70 more years of this asshattery.

Man up and fight Manny you punk ass b****.
mayweather may be a punk and all that, but I don't believe for a second that he's dumb. Perhaps a bit of a loose cannon, but he's far from stupid.

Helton4Hall is online now  
Old
09-19-2011, 01:59 PM
  #256
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 18,603
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescently View Post
Manny would obliterate Mayweather
I'm pretty sure the only thing Manny would obliterate would be his knuckles from punching Mayweather's elbows all night long.

Helton4Hall is online now  
Old
09-19-2011, 02:15 PM
  #257
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 15,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Because Cortez is an old fool. Any boxing fan knows that ending was BS. And yeah, Mayweather would've won anyhow but now he has another asterisk on his already spotty record. You must not watch much boxing if you think what Ortiz did was on the same level as what Mayweather did.
What did Mayweather do wrong?

The Nevada boxing commission came out and said afterwards that the the bell rung, fight started and they touched gloves. You even hear Cortez saying "Lets Go." Ortiz for some reason was still trying hug, kiss and apologize and Mayweather dropped him.

Cortez being old and senile threw everyone off(I have no idea why he wasn't looking) but everything that happened was within the rules. Was it unsportsmanlike for Mayweather to hit an unsuspecting Ortiz? Possibly. But the round was re-started and everything was legitimate. Officials make a point to say "Protect yourself at all times" before the fight and Ortiz didn't do that.


And I do watching boxing. Your gonna try and tell me that punching someone who let their guard down during a re-started round is worse than a guy purposely using his head like a torpedo to headbutt the guy? LOL.


People just hate Mayweather so much that they are blinded by biases. If you hate him that's one thing but there was nothing wrong, illegal, or cheap about the way he won the fight.


Last edited by Big Poppa Puck: 09-19-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Big Poppa Puck is offline  
Old
09-19-2011, 02:22 PM
  #258
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 15,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I'm pretty sure the only thing Manny would obliterate would be his knuckles from punching Mayweather's elbows all night long.
People just hate Mayweather so much that they predict what they hope happens and not what WILL happen.

I would not be shocked either way who wins.
It would be an extremely even, great fight.
Mayweather is one of the greatest defensive fighters of all time. And is also maybe just as quick as Manny. If they fought it probably would be decided by a split decision. I highly doubt there would be a KO.

People saying that Manny would "obliterate" Mayweather are just blinded by hate and fail to be realistic about it.

Big Poppa Puck is offline  
Old
09-19-2011, 04:52 PM
  #259
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
What did Mayweather do wrong?

The Nevada boxing commission came out and said afterwards that the the bell rung, fight started and they touched gloves. You even hear Cortez saying "Lets Go." Ortiz for some reason was still trying hug, kiss and apologize and Mayweather dropped him.

Cortez being old and senile threw everyone off(I have no idea why he wasn't looking) but everything that happened was within the rules. Was it unsportsmanlike for Mayweather to hit an unsuspecting Ortiz? Possibly. But the round was re-started and everything was legitimate. Officials make a point to say "Protect yourself at all times" before the fight and Ortiz didn't do that.


And I do watching boxing. Your gonna try and tell me that punching someone who let their guard down during a re-started round is worse than a guy purposely using his head like a torpedo to headbutt the guy? LOL.


People just hate Mayweather so much that they are blinded by biases. If you hate him that's one thing but there was nothing wrong, illegal, or cheap about the way he won the fight.
Well, I definitely jumped the gun with that post. I was in a wedding on Sat night and didn't see the fight and was only going by the video of the KO. I later found out that the fight had been restarted (it didn't look like it in the video) and Cortez was just checking the time left. I've also now seen just how blatant of a headbutt Ortiz threw. I had wrongfully assumed it was just a grazing headbutt like most are. Sorry about the immature comment about watching boxing, ******** like Mayweather bring out the worst in me.

I do think what Mayweather did was unsportmanlike and if he cares about his legacy it was a dumb thing to do. Of course, we all know he doesn't care about his legacy or he wouldn't have ducked so many fighters over the years. But then again he really cares about his unbeaten record so maybe he just ducks guys to keep his perfect record. That being said, I think he would've likely beat any of the guys he ducked except maybe Paul Williams who's size would've given PBF trouble.

DaaaaB's is offline  
Old
09-19-2011, 08:12 PM
  #260
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,276
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Well, I definitely jumped the gun with that post. I was in a wedding on Sat night and didn't see the fight and was only going by the video of the KO. I later found out that the fight had been restarted (it didn't look like it in the video) and Cortez was just checking the time left. I've also now seen just how blatant of a headbutt Ortiz threw. I had wrongfully assumed it was just a grazing headbutt like most are. Sorry about the immature comment about watching boxing, ******** like Mayweather bring out the worst in me.

I do think what Mayweather did was unsportmanlike and if he cares about his legacy it was a dumb thing to do. Of course, we all know he doesn't care about his legacy or he wouldn't have ducked so many fighters over the years. But then again he really cares about his unbeaten record so maybe he just ducks guys to keep his perfect record. That being said, I think he would've likely beat any of the guys he ducked except maybe Paul Williams who's size would've given PBF trouble.
Cortez was looking at the time keeper at the time and was about to call time in when Maycheater hit Ortiz with a left, Cortez then turned his head to see what was going on just in time to see the right which finished the job. He made no motion or verbal call to restart the fight from what I could see from the video.

The right call would be to disqualify Mayweather if that is what happened (sure looked like it to me). But of course, no governing body or ref is going to admit to that or do anything that takes the win away from Mayweather.

It was all very WWE-ish.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
09-19-2011, 09:09 PM
  #261
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,220
vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Well he did make a verbal call to restart the fight, you can clearly hear him say "lets go".

Morozov is offline  
Old
09-20-2011, 08:26 AM
  #262
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
One thing that I do love about Mayweather, thanks to him there's been more posts in this thread in the last few days then there had been in the 6 months prior.

DaaaaB's is offline  
Old
09-20-2011, 03:14 PM
  #263
Missionhockey
Registered User
 
Missionhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,917
vCash: 500
Mayweather was owning Ortiz with his quickness. I doubt he would have knocked him out if he didn't catch him off guard, but Ortiz was clearly frustrated. I think its obvious that he got caught up in the moment and let his emotions get the best of him when he head butted him, but he was able to pull himself out of the moment. Its so crystal clear that he was disgusted with himself more than anybody else, thats why he was apologizing so much.

Mayweather didn't technically do anything wrong, but I still thought it was a cheap move. Maybe I'm naive, but in the spirit of sportsmanship, what Mayweather did was wrong. I'll admit, I'm an Ortiz fan but I'm also realistic. The only way Ortiz was coming out with the victory that night is if he knocked Floyd out. I think Mayweather was stunned right before Ortiz muscled him to the ropes, but once Mayweather gains his composure its almost impossible to land a clean shot on him. Not to mention that Mayweather landed that right hand at will. He was cruising to a decision, which I think makes it even more of a shame. Mayweather doesn't need to pull scum bag moves like that with his talent.

Missionhockey is offline  
Old
09-20-2011, 03:43 PM
  #264
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I think Mayweather beats him if they fight. I doubt it will be like his performance yesterday, he will probably be a lot more defensive but I think he will get it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescently View Post
Manny would obliterate Mayweather
I think Mayweather vs. Pacman would be a fantastic fight. Floyd is the best counterpuncher and defensive fighter in the business. Pacman is the best offensive fighter in the business. The matchup and style would be great.

Mayweather would either sit back and counterpunch to dismantle/frustrate Pacman or Pacman would just throw so many combos with that sick left with KO power that he could cause a lot of trouble for Mayweather to not just play cat/mouse with his counterpunching.

Either way, I'm not getting my hopes up for seeing this fight. I've heard all the excuses as to why it won't happen...money, promoters, steroids, Floyd is scared of Pacman, concerned about having an undefeated legacy tarnished, blahbeddy blah blah...just one excuse after another. Usually when a bunch of excuses are made up as to why something doesn't happen, it's because one person doesn't want it to happen. One person has been vocal about negativity toward the fight. Take it FWIW.

Jules Winnfield is offline  
Old
09-20-2011, 06:40 PM
  #265
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 18,603
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Well, I definitely jumped the gun with that post. I was in a wedding on Sat night and didn't see the fight and was only going by the video of the KO. I later found out that the fight had been restarted (it didn't look like it in the video) and Cortez was just checking the time left. I've also now seen just how blatant of a headbutt Ortiz threw. I had wrongfully assumed it was just a grazing headbutt like most are. Sorry about the immature comment about watching boxing, ******** like Mayweather bring out the worst in me.

I do think what Mayweather did was unsportmanlike and if he cares about his legacy it was a dumb thing to do. Of course, we all know he doesn't care about his legacy or he wouldn't have ducked so many fighters over the years. But then again he really cares about his unbeaten record so maybe he just ducks guys to keep his perfect record. That being said, I think he would've likely beat any of the guys he ducked except maybe Paul Williams who's size would've given PBF trouble.
I think paul williams would beat PBF.

I think that the blueprint to beat him was laid out by Oscar, which is jab, jab, jab and use your size to your advantage. IMO, the reason Oscar lost is because he eventually got away from this strategy.

At 6-1 Paul is the best possible matchup for Floyd, as long as he doesn't get away from that strategy. Admittedly, it is a problem when you ask a guy with a lot of knockouts to fight a war of attrition, but that's what it's going to have to be.

Helton4Hall is online now  
Old
09-22-2011, 04:07 AM
  #266
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,654
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I think paul williams would beat PBF.

I think that the blueprint to beat him was laid out by Oscar, which is jab, jab, jab and use your size to your advantage. IMO, the reason Oscar lost is because he eventually got away from this strategy.

At 6-1 Paul is the best possible matchup for Floyd, as long as he doesn't get away from that strategy. Admittedly, it is a problem when you ask a guy with a lot of knockouts to fight a war of attrition, but that's what it's going to have to be.
Paul Williams would get dominated by Mayweather. Oscar has power and skill that Williams can't even dream of. You're correct about the blueprint but it needs be someone with pop, and preferably good body shots.

As it stands, there are two people alive that have a chance against Mayweather; Pacquiao and Martinez. But unless Martinez becomes the superstar he can, Mayweather will never fight him.

GetThePuckOut is online now  
Old
09-22-2011, 04:09 AM
  #267
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,654
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I think Mayweather vs. Pacman would be a fantastic fight. Floyd is the best counterpuncher and defensive fighter in the business. Pacman is the best offensive fighter in the business. The matchup and style would be great.

Mayweather would either sit back and counterpunch to dismantle/frustrate Pacman or Pacman would just throw so many combos with that sick left with KO power that he could cause a lot of trouble for Mayweather to not just play cat/mouse with his counterpunching.

Either way, I'm not getting my hopes up for seeing this fight. I've heard all the excuses as to why it won't happen...money, promoters, steroids, Floyd is scared of Pacman, concerned about having an undefeated legacy tarnished, blahbeddy blah blah...just one excuse after another. Usually when a bunch of excuses are made up as to why something doesn't happen, it's because one person doesn't want it to happen. One person has been vocal about negativity toward the fight. Take it FWIW.
Mayweather has never done business with Bob Arum since they split. That's the real reason why the fight hasn't happened. Mayweather even hinted at it and the post-fight conference when he said Pac has to get his business in order first.

GetThePuckOut is online now  
Old
09-22-2011, 04:12 AM
  #268
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,654
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise View Post
Mayweather was owning Ortiz with his quickness. I doubt he would have knocked him out if he didn't catch him off guard, but Ortiz was clearly frustrated. I think its obvious that he got caught up in the moment and let his emotions get the best of him when he head butted him, but he was able to pull himself out of the moment. Its so crystal clear that he was disgusted with himself more than anybody else, thats why he was apologizing so much.
Honestly I was commenting all fight long on Ortiz' headbutts. Most were more subtle, but he was making it a dirty fight from the opening bell. He **** you with the bull, you get the horns. He should have known that. Mayweather did the same thing to Arturro Gatti.

IMO though Ortiz could have gotten up, but quit again. Personally I could go without seeing him in another title fight again. I'm hoping Berto kicks his ass, then he needs to fight Maidana again as well.


Last edited by GetThePuckOut: 09-22-2011 at 04:24 AM.
GetThePuckOut is online now  
Old
09-22-2011, 04:14 AM
  #269
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Mayweather has never done business with Bob Arum since they split. That's the real reason why the fight hasn't happened. Mayweather even hinted at it and the post-fight conference when he said Pac has to get his business in order first.
That shouldn't shock anyone. Arum is a joke.

AndyPipkin is offline  
Old
09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
  #270
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Honestly I was commenting all fight long on Ortiz' headbutts. Most were more subtle, but he was making it a dirty fight from the opening bell. He **** you with the bull, you get the horns. He should have known that. Mayweather did the same thing to Arturro Gatti.

IMO though Ortiz could have gotten up, but quit again. Personally I could go without seeing him in another title fight again. I'm hoping Berto kicks his ass, then he needs to fight Maidana again as well.
I know what you're trying to say but I think you have the phrase mixed up a bit.

DaaaaB's is offline  
Old
09-22-2011, 06:26 PM
  #271
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,654
vCash: 1081
Hahaha, whoops. Let's just pretend I meant to say that.

GetThePuckOut is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 05:00 PM
  #272
CrackerJibbs
Registered User
 
CrackerJibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I think paul williams would beat PBF.

I think that the blueprint to beat him was laid out by Oscar, which is jab, jab, jab and use your size to your advantage. IMO, the reason Oscar lost is because he eventually got away from this strategy.

At 6-1 Paul is the best possible matchup for Floyd, as long as he doesn't get away from that strategy. Admittedly, it is a problem when you ask a guy with a lot of knockouts to fight a war of attrition, but that's what it's going to have to be.
The words 'Paul Williams' and 'use your size' don't belong in the same sentence. I've never seen a fighter give up his advantages so readily. He has absolutely no idea how to fight at a distance.

CrackerJibbs is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 05:11 PM
  #273
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 18,603
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
The words 'Paul Williams' and 'use your size' don't belong in the same sentence. I've never seen a fighter give up his advantages so readily. He has absolutely no idea how to fight at a distance.
Floyd will help Paul keep his distance by continually backing off.

Really, to me it's not that Paul has to continually fight on the outside (because It's not like May has an advantage inside), it's that he has to use his jab when he's out there.

However, if Paul does his ricky hatton impression he will get killed. I really think Paul just has to learn to stick to the script.

Helton4Hall is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 05:19 PM
  #274
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 18,603
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Paul Williams would get dominated by Mayweather. Oscar has power and skill that Williams can't even dream of. You're correct about the blueprint but it needs be someone with pop, and preferably good body shots.

As it stands, there are two people alive that have a chance against Mayweather; Pacquiao and Martinez. But unless Martinez becomes the superstar he can, Mayweather will never fight him.
Perhaps skillwise Oscar has a lot more than Paul, but he didn't have knockout power for a long, long time before he fought mayweather. In fact you could (and people have) made the argument that Oscar has been on the decline since he fought Shane almost a decade ago.

Helton4Hall is online now  
Old
09-24-2011, 08:33 PM
  #275
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,654
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Perhaps skillwise Oscar has a lot more than Paul, but he didn't have knockout power for a long, long time before he fought mayweather. In fact you could (and people have) made the argument that Oscar has been on the decline since he fought Shane almost a decade ago.
I agree he was very faded, but he still had more power than Williams. They say in boxing that power is the last thing to go, and he has one of the best left hooks of all time.

I also agree with your game plan on how to beat Mayweather, and I used to think Williams was one of the few that could beat him. But Williams has looked terrible in his last couple fights. In his last fight a relatively unknown fighter completely exposed him and was landing at will, with the same shot Martinez knocked him out with. So if Lara was landing at will, I think Mayweather would have a field day with him.

I like Amir Khan as a match up; also aggressive, doesn't have the reach but he could match Mayweather's speed. He has pretty good pop too. That's an intriguing match that could happen sooner than later.

GetThePuckOut is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.