Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Boxing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

vCash: 500
That was an oustanding fight last night. Hats off to both boxers for putting on a great show.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
No way, it was poetic justice that Marquez was the one to do it after getting robbed multiple times.
robbed zero times.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
robbed zero times.
Marquez won their last fight.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Pac was robbed by one judge in the first fight. He scored the 1st round 10-7 instead of 10-6 (three knock downs). But I guess the draw was justified given the fact that Marquez came back strong for the rest of the fight. If it weren't for that draw, I don't think there would've been a third fight and a fourth fight since a third fight almost never happens when one of the fighters is 2-0 in the first two fights.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't watch a lot of boxing, but I don't think I've ever seen a KO like that. Manny got clocked, and just collapsed as he was out cold in the spot he was in. I thought he was dead for a second too.

Pro Tip: Turn off the lamps when you're trying to start a meme
Or learn to use prntscrn

12-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Really? All this time, I thought those "lamps" were part of a half-assed attempt at photoshop (like some weird thing coming out of Manny's eyes).

Old
12-09-2012, 06:41 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Pac was robbed by one judge in the first fight. He scored the 1st round 10-7 instead of 10-6 (three knock downs). But I guess the draw was justified given the fact that Marquez came back strong for the rest of the fight. If it weren't for that draw, I don't think there would've been a third fight and a fourth fight since a third fight almost never happens when one of the fighters is 2-0 in the first two fights.
I've scored that fight a few times, and in giving Pac a 10-6 round, I come up with a draw every time. But Marquez definitely should have won the second and third fights IMO.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:42 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't watch a lot of boxing, but I don't think I've ever seen a KO like that. Manny got clocked, and just collapsed as he was out cold in the spot he was in. I thought he was dead for a second too.

Sergio Martinez 1st round KO of Paul Williams was very similar.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I've scored that fight a few times, and in giving Pac a 10-6 round, I come up with a draw every time. But Marquez definitely should have won the second and third fights IMO.
If you still scored it a draw, that means you scored at least one round 10-10.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
DaaaaB's

Just awesome to watch my boy JMM take Manny out like that. Especially, after getting robbed so many times in the past against him. JMM is an absolute warrior who you can never count out in a fight.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
JMM versus Garcia for supremacy at 140 could be interesting. Gosh, there are just so many possibilities between 135 and 154 with the amount of talent there and the plethora of guys that can slide up or down a weight class or two. Big fights like tonight just make me want to know what's next.
Lucas Matthysse and Brandon Rios are in the mix for top dog at 140 too. Add in Broner likely moving up, and that's one of hell of an interesting weight class.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:36 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
robbed zero times.
What???

First fight should've been a draw(maybe Pacman by a point), 2nd & 3rd should've been scored wins for JMM. That's widely agreed upon in boxing circles.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
That was an oustanding fight last night. Hats off to both boxers for putting on a great show.
I was there. It was one of the best sporting events I ever went to. Knowing that both fighters wanted to knock the other out made it so much better.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Philly85
Moody'

That was a good card. I thought Manny looked great after the knockdown. He looked faster and stronger than he did in the Bradley fight IMO, but Marquez also looked better than his last fight, bigger too. I'm still in shock at what happened. I think there should be a 5th fight. Manny got clipped with the perfect, albeit kind of lucky punch. ****ing Marquez... Manny's kryptonite. I still think Pacquiao would give Floyd all he could handle and that it would be a good tilt, but that's probably done now. That fight was one for the books though, too bad Emmanuel Steward wasn't ring side to see that happen with Jim Roy and Larry. I think that's why Jim seemed so choked up momentarily. He also loves Pacquiao though too. As do I.

Last edited by Philly85: 12-11-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old
12-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
That was a good card. I thought Manny looked great after the knockdown. He looked faster and stronger than he did in the Bradley fight IMO, but Marquez also looked better than his last fight, bigger too. I'm still in shock at what happened. I think there should be a 5th fight. Manny got clipped with the perfect, albeit kind of lucky punch. ****ing Marquez... Manny's kryptonite. I still think Pacquiao would give Floyd all he could handle and that it would be a good tilt, but that's probably done now. That fight was one for the books though, too bad Emmanuel Steward wasn't ring side to see that happen with Jim Roy and Larry. I think that's why Jim seemed so choked up momentarily. He also loves Pacquiao though too. As do I.
Been reading some old posts here (circa 2009). Everyone seemed to love Pac back then especially after his destruction of Hatton. Now everyone's enjoying HIS knockout loss. Just shows you how brutal boxing is. One punch can change everything. From a media darling to the butt end of jokes (Monday Night Raw had two Pacquiao references last night, joking about him getting KOd).

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ghlight=hatton

Old
12-11-2012, 05:55 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
I think 2009 Manny could have beaten Mayweather, but Floyd wanted no part of him back then. As soon as Mayweather knew that Manny was on the decline was when he wanted to fight him....shocking.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
what's next for Pac? Floyd has absolutely no reason to take the fight
Manny is done. Even if he fights again, that's the type of knockout that changes careers.

I think we all knew Pac was on the decline for a few fights, but I didn't think he would go out like this.

That said, if Mayweater-Pacman were to happen, it would be now. Pacquio is probably not a position to get another premier fight, and may have to take a lower ranked opponent. He may not have another big payday coming. Money Mayweather represents this big payout for him, and it allows May to finally fight him and get it over with.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Been reading some old posts here (circa 2009). Everyone seemed to love Pac back then especially after his destruction of Hatton. Now everyone's enjoying HIS knockout loss. Just shows you how brutal boxing is. One punch can change everything. From a media darling to the butt end of jokes (Monday Night Raw had two Pacquiao references last night, joking about him getting KOd).

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ghlight=hatton
I don't think people are generally happy to see Pacquiao lose, but rather to finally see JMM get some justice for a few brutal decision. Manny is still a largely popular fighter.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Yeah I don't see the non biased boxing fan cheering on/happy with that knockout. Why would you be. Manny fought every single opponent ever suggested to him and by all accounts was much more open in his efforts to try and make a fight with Floyd happen. He fought everyone, big, small, young, old.. He was the people's champ truly, and always wanted to give fight fans his best - always. He is humble and good natured, I don't know how a straight faced plain old fight fan can cheer on Pacquiao getting KO'd and be happy to see him lose, unless you're Mexican (and even they came around on him these past few years) or black in the USA, especially if youre a true Floyd fan. Thing is I like Floyd, and there was maybe a 1.5 year window when I thought Manny at the top of his powers would be the Only challenge to Mayweather, the only fighter with a hope or prayer to beat him. But in the past 2 years he's lost a bit of his speed, while Floyd is still quick and kept his technical edge skill wise. He'd lose to Floyd now, but i don't think it would be as lopsided as people think. Styles make fights, and Marquez has always been the one guy - with his counter right to Pacquiao's southpaw left always forcing the action - who had the gift to win. Not to mention his sheer heart and mental fortitude. It's amazing and a credit to Manny he even fought Marquez a fourth time. That's why I think there needs to be a 5th and final fight next May. And like I said, call me crazy but I thought Manny looked good... to me he has at least 1-2 fights left in him.

Last edited by Philly85: 12-11-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Two years ago Mayweather would've beaten Pacquiao in a close fight. Today, it wouldn't be close at all.

I'm not a huge boxing fan but I did enjoy watching Pacquiao getting knocked the **** out. After seeing the pictures of Pacquiao's adviser and trainers assaulting the photographer after the fight, the result makes me even happier. What a bunch of punks.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Philly85
Moody'

See, people like that ^^^

Old
12-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
See, people like that ^^^
Did you feel the same way when Hatton was out cold on the mat?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Did you feel the same way when Hatton was out cold on the mat?
Hatton was a likable guy. There was no reason for any sane person to continue enjoying the sight of him lying on the floor.

Just admit you don't like Pacquiao because you're a Mayweather fan.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Francesa

Larry Merchant to retire soon

Max Kellerman to take over

http://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status...33236369399809

Quote:
HBO: "Larry Merchant will end his unprecedented 35-year run as a ringside boxing commentator for HBO Sports...this Saturday night."
Best Merchant moment

Floyd threatening he would beat Merchant in his prime

Old
12-13-2012, 04:04 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Hatton was a likable guy. There was no reason for any sane person to continue enjoying the sight of him lying on the floor.

Just admit you don't like Pacquiao because you're a Mayweather fan.
Why don't you admit that you hate Mayweather because you're a Pacman fan.

Pretty clear that you guys are biased towards Manny. He's ducked just as many fighters and made as many BS demands in his career as Mayweather has. It's also pretty clear that he was juicing at one point and that's why he refused to do blood testing (which btw was the biggest issue preventing the fight with Mayweather). He's not a total dirtbag like Mayweather is but he's far from being a great person in my eyes considering how conservative he is.

Closed Thread