General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Boxing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Ortiz was just looking for a way out. The ref didn't give it to him after that headbutt so Mayweather did. Ortiz didn't seem to mind too much after the fight.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:42 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't watch every fight but I know these things:

-Protect yourself at all times.

-If the referee didn't re-start the match, he wouldn't have been counting. He would have flipped **** on Mayweather instead.

This is a fight, not a prayer service. Why the hell is Ortiz kissing and hugging Mayweather - TWICE? It's a fight, but Ortiz is more worried about Floyd's feelings being hurt. Like WTF?
Never question the incompetence of Joe Cortez.

Old
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Watched it about 30 times now, and the whole thing seems setup. How convenient is it that Joe Cortez is randomly looking the other way the entire time? This is great for everyone, especially HBO. Now that this replay and Mayweather's fight with Merchant will be plastered all over the place, they can build up more hate for Money. And more hate for Money equals more actual money for everyone when he fights Pacman. Boxing is a horribly corrupt and shameful sport.

Old
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So just knock his punk ass out when he enters the ring. Protect yourself at all times.
The Ref lost control of the fight. He said BOX! too early. Once he says that, you can darned sure hit your opponent, regardless of if he's ready or not. Ortiz going for a hug and a kiss was beyond bizarre too, who the hell would do that in a title fight?

Old
09-17-2011, 11:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
RT @BizNasty2point0: By the sounds of it Ortiz put out more then my date. #FightNight #HugsAndKisses

Quote:
So just knock his punk ass out when he enters the ring. Protect yourself at all times.
Ok, well that leads to my next point, which you chose to not address, but goes right with that. If the fight wasn't re-started, why is the referee counting?

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Ortiz was just looking for a way out. The ref didn't give it to him after that headbutt so Mayweather did. Ortiz didn't seem to mind too much after the fight.
Riiiiiiiiiiight. That's why he was muscling Mayweather up against the ropes and trying to tee off on him. Clearly looking for a way out.

Give me a break.

Old
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHammy View Post
The Ref lost control of the fight. He said BOX! too early. Once he says that, you can darned sure hit your opponent, regardless of if he's ready or not. Ortiz going for a hug and a kiss was beyond bizarre too, who the hell would do that in a title fight?
Ortiz is a ****ing weird dude.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:44 PM
XtremeofParanoia

As someone who couldn't give a rat's ass about boxing, this is hysterical. The old man during the post-fight interview is icing on the cake.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:45 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
RT @BizNasty2point0: By the sounds of it Ortiz put out more then my date. #FightNight #HugsAndKisses

Ok, well that leads to my next point, which you chose to not address, but goes right with that. If the fight wasn't re-started, why is the referee counting?
How would I know? The ref was still talking to the time-keeper. Clearly the fight was not yet re-set.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:45 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
How would I know? The ref was still talking to the time-keeper. Clearly the fight was not yet re-set.
Again, Joe Cortez is an awful ref.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:47 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
Again, Joe Cortez is an awful ref.
Regardless, Ortiz needs to appeal the decision.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Look, maybe Ortiz wasn't ready, and Mayweather definitely didn't need to do what he did to beat him. But the fact of the matter is if the fight wasn't restart it then why was it allowed and Mayweather not DQ'd or deducted?

The ref wasn't looking but I did hear a bell and they did touch gloves. It is protect yourself at all times.

Also in the post-fight interviews, Ortiz didn't seem upset, either he was A) Taking the high road, B) knew it was clean, or C) knew he was gonna lose regardless and just accepted it.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:48 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Look, maybe Ortiz wasn't ready, and Mayweather definitely didn't need to do what he did to beat him. But the fact of the matter is if the fight wasn't restart it then why was it allowed and Mayweather not DQ'd or deducted?

The ref wasn't looking but I did hear a bell and they did touch gloves. It is protect yourself at all times.

Also in the post-fight interviews, Ortiz didn't seem upset, either he was A) Taking the high road, B) knew it was clean, or C) knew he was gonna lose regardless and just accepted it.
Ortiz was being straight up classy.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Quote:

If the fight was truly started, as you suggest, why would the ref be looking outside the ring and not following the action?

Old
09-17-2011, 11:49 PM
CycloneLaunch

What a shame that a fight ends with some horse **** like that

Old
09-17-2011, 11:50 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:

Ortiz is just a weird guy I think. He acted the same way after he quit against Maidana, so I wonder if that's just how he acts when he gets upset/embarrassed.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
BTW, I will say this.

If there was ever a PERFECT TIME for Mayweather vs Pacman, It's right now.

The absolute PERFECT Hero vs Villain scenario.

The amount of money generated and PPV buys would be beyond anything we would ever see.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

They should have an online feed of this press conference. Should be interesting.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:53 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
I've been a hardcore boxing fan (and have done a very small amount of boxing) for years and I've never seen accidental headbutts, again unless they were the result of total carelessness or aggression, be penalized without controversy. Nor should they be, they're an unfortunate part of the sport.
Really? I'm mildly surprised because I have, but it's really hard to say, because everyone defines carelessness according to a different standard, ya know?

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Because he counted him out. You know the answer. He obviously wasn't clear, as it appears to the audience, and that's still poor officiating. All he's gotta do is say "box," no one should be waiting around to make sure the referee is watching if he's already told you to go. It was poor officiating, but no one else in sports waits around to make sure everyone is really really ready.

It was also the end of the round.

Regardless, the difference. Ortiz was going around hugging and kissing, while Mayweather was throwing and asking questions later. At the most extreme, it should be a no contest.

Old
CycloneLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
BTW, I will say this.

The amount of money generated and PPV buys would be beyond anything we would ever see.
Sorry that makes too much sense to ever happen in boxing

Old
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:

Can't answer everything else, but Ortiz doesn't exactly seem to have the same upset feelings most people do. Watching 24/7 he has plenty of chances to put blame on someone else or be angry and he's not. It's kinda weird, but the way he acted was basically the way he does act.

That said he was the huge underdog in this fight and he learned a lesson. He'll move on. As for Mayweather, this just puts more pressure on him to quit slacking off and fight Manny.

Old
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Mayweather will make huge bucks for a rematch against Ortiz if he can't get Pacman to agree to his terms, so why not?

Old
09-17-2011, 11:54 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
BTW, I will say this.

I honestly don't think they'll ever fight. Mayweather pissed Pacquiao off with his drug-testing demands and I think both guys have too much pride to ever give in to the kinds of demands the other will insist on. It'll take them three years just to decide who walks to the ring first.

Old
09-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Regardless, Ortiz needs to appeal the decision.
Dude, we get it you hate Mayweather, but take the blinders off. GKJ is right
#1 If Cortez didn't restart it why did he count out Ortiz and not flip on Mayweather
#2 Protect yourself at all times and
#3 Why this **** is Ortiz still trying to hug him, we get it your sorry for the headbutt.

I like Mayweather, but I also try to be honest and unbiased about everything that goes for Mayweather, The Red Wings and any other team I like.

As for the Merchant thing. Maywearther is right Merchant does always hate on Floyd and he is supposed to be an unbiased commentator. But it was unnecessary and kinda classless for Money to flip on him.
Hilarity did ensue from it though.

Closed Thread