HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does The Connolly Signing Make Grabovski Expendable?

Old
07-02-2011, 04:44 PM
jablueblue

vCash: 500
Don't you know, the more recently you signed your contract, the more likely you are to be traded?

jablueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Duffman955

First of all, Kulemin should be close to untouchable.

And the only way we trade grabo is if we are guaranteed an upgrade at center.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mansfield
possession obsession

Grabovski, possibly. Kulemin, no way. I haven't heard anything but praise from BB about Kulemin. I haven't heard too much from him about grabo.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:46 PM
reza87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Grabovski, possibly. Kulemin, no way. I haven't heard anything but praise from BB about Kulemin. I haven't heard too much from him about grabo.
Lol, has Burke really used Kulemin and Parise in the same sentence?

*part of me is hoping*

reza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
ansah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
getting a true # 1 makes grabo "expendable"...but as it is right now, he's the best center we have who has great chemistry with his linemates
this

ansah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Turk Broda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulebreath View Post
"Hi, we have a #2 center, we would like your #1 center in return. "
"Sure... wait, that's not fair"
"Damn.... alright, you can have Sjostrom as well"
"Now, you're talking."

Grabovski is the top center in the organization. How does taking a chance on an injury-prone stopgap make him expendable?
If somebody is out there that's clearly better than Grabovski, why would that team trade him? And for someone not as good? I'd love to see that deal.
That line was dynamite last year, I wish people would just enjoy it instead of wanting to trade away the whole thing.
I was actually thinking something along the same lines. Though Sjostrom is a UFA, so we wouldn't be including him in any potential trades for a number #1 center. I think we need to come to terms with the fact that in order for this team to have a legitimate first line center, the player is going to be drafted and developed.

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:50 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Burke is not an idiot. There is no way that he thinks Connolly is the answer to the Leafs #1 centre need. Connolly is a good option as a playmaking #2 centre who can kill penalties, we know that, and Burke knows that.

We also know that Burke likes to get the most he can out of the players that he doesn't consider part of the core. I'm only guessing, but he may not consider Grabovski and Kulemin part of the core going forward. We all know how he prefers North American players, and shipping out two valuable assets entering the primes of their respective careers may be what he's thinking.

There was talk that Kulemin was involved in the Richards trade discussion (although no one knows what really happened there). Kulemin and Grabovski will also be up for big pay raises soon, which Burke may not feel comfortable giving them.

All of this makes me wonder if these two (or just Grabovski) will be shipped out this summer in a package to acquire a star #1 centre that the Leafs still desperately need.

Thoughts?
Two bolded statements conflict one another

Why does every move have to have an underlying meaning?

We signed Conolly because he is the best center available ATM and we need a center. Thats it. It doesn't mean we are going to ship off two players to bring in a superplayer.

If you can get a number one center for those pieces then sure, but more than likely trading Grabo and Kulemin would be at the very most a lateral move.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Epictetus
Create yourself.

vCash: 50
Can you guarentee he stays healthy? Nope. So makes no sense to trade an established player for one that can get injured and leave you with nothing.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ForSpareParts*
agreement

this thread rules!

some good points here!

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Regina Pat
Keep Kadri

Only for a #1C.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:53 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
For some reason I expected you to hate this signing.
Nope. I've been a big proponent of signing Tim Connolly this year. The price is a little steeper than I would've liked, but the 2 year term is absolutely right and that was the price tag to get it in this market.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:58 PM
legendinblue
Trust in Hunter

Only for a true #1 center.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:58 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Nope. I've been a big proponent of signing Tim Connolly this year. The price is a little steeper than I would've liked, but the 2 year term is absolutely right and that was the price tag to get it in this market.
so why is Joffrey Lupul a "senseless contract"? It is 500K cheaper and basically the same type of player (top six forward when healthy, but healthy is a question mark)

Both of their contracts end at the same time.

Old
07-02-2011, 05:01 PM
MR50goalscorer
Grabo nets 50 !

******** thread is ********

MR50goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Flowseidon
Compton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
No, we don't.
now you do

Flowseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:05 PM
reza87

Dude lay off Lupul, his injury really was a fluke that just got way out of hand. It's like 1 in a million.
Fact is, when he was healthy some fans would say he was just as good as Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan.

reza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:08 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
so why is Joffrey Lupul a "senseless contract"? It is 500K cheaper and basically the same type of player (top six forward when healthy, but healthy is a question mark)

Both of their contracts end at the same time.
Because Joffrey Lupul is a shoot-first winger who likes to go to the middle of the ice, with average to below average defensive play. We needed his cap space allocated to a big bodied forward that can work the cycle down low and crash the crease.

Connolly occupies the cap space and roster spot that was/is needed for a skilled playmaking centre to play alongside Phil Kessel, preferably with some sort of 2-way ability. Tim Connolly is a skilled playmaking centre with decent 2-way ability. Furthermore, when you look at what Michael Ryder signed for, you get a pretty good comparison for Joffrey Lupul.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:13 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

No, because Connolly is just an upgrade over our current centre in Bozak

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:16 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Burke is not an idiot. There is no way that he thinks Connolly is the answer to the Leafs #1 centre need. Connolly is a good option as a playmaking #2 centre who can kill penalties, we know that, and Burke knows that.

We also know that Burke likes to get the most he can out of the players that he doesn't consider part of the core. I'm only guessing, but he may not consider Grabovski and Kulemin part of the core going forward. We all know how he prefers North American players, and shipping out two valuable assets entering the primes of their respective careers may be what he's thinking.

There was talk that Kulemin was involved in the Richards trade discussion (although no one knows what really happened there). Kulemin and Grabovski will also be up for big pay raises soon, which Burke may not feel comfortable giving them.

All of this makes me wonder if these two (or just Grabovski) will be shipped out this summer in a package to acquire a star #1 centre that the Leafs still desperately need.

Thoughts?
First off, Connolly doesn't make Grabo expendable. Grabo is the better player and by far imo. Connolly was a big waste of time but we got live with it for the next couple of years. If he can stay healthy, he can be decent but the odds of that are highly unlikely.

Secondly, there are no first line centers available. Who is out there that the Leafs have a realistic shot at getting? The Leafs could have shown a little more patience rather than jumping into the UFA pool and coming out with Tim ****in Connolly. I really don't mind that we didn't get Brad Richards, I think that term is a bit ridiculous and I would have been content on just standing pat for now. This is one of the reason why the Leafs frustrate the crap out of me, they always go for the has-beens and the never-was'.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:17 PM
mstew

First Mac, now grabo and kulemin?

Why do so many people want to trade our best line?

NO grabo is not expendable

mstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:22 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Because Joffrey Lupul is a shoot-first winger who likes to go to the middle of the ice, with average to below average defensive play. We needed his cap space allocated to a big bodied forward that can work the cycle down low and crash the crease.

Connolly occupies the cap space and roster spot that was/is needed for a skilled playmaking centre to play alongside Phil Kessel, preferably with some sort of 2-way ability. Tim Connolly is a skilled playmaking centre with decent 2-way ability. Furthermore, when you look at what Michael Ryder signed for, you get a pretty good comparison for Joffrey Lupul.
So the only reason is because Joffrey is the wrong type of roll right now? Do you have any evidence that a big bodied forward that can work the cycle down low and crash the crease is available?

Ryder is only 750K less than Lupul. Surely being overpaid by 750K is not the difference from being a good move and a senseless contract.

Besides its pretty obvious they only aquired Lupul as a salary dump for Jake Gardiner.

Old
07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

Thoughts?
He may not be but you certainly are.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
So the only reason is because Joffrey is the wrong type of roll right now? Do you have any evidence that a big bodied forward that can work the cycle down low and crash the crease is available?

Ryder is only 750K less than Lupul. Surely being overpaid by 750K is not the difference from being a good move and a senseless contract.

Besides its pretty obvious they only aquired Lupul as a salary dump for Jake Gardiner.
Another one of the senseless acquisitions in his avy doesnt even play for us anymore.
Don't even bother.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Darcy Tucker

no, it makes him vital.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:48 PM
dubey
Registered Genius

I agree with everyone else in here. Grabovski is only expendable in a deal for a #1 centre.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote