HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Nashville Predators 2011 Off-Season Thread Part II

Old
07-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

vCash: 500
I updated my post from the other day to reflect roster changes. Ended up with a range of +5 to +9 goals depending on which category you look at from where the Preds were before the weekend moves. Not a big increase because an offensive dman was replaced with a forward who was 214th in goals last year:

"I wanted to see what kind of goal production we're looking at right now so I ran a few quick calculations. I ran the numbers using the current roster as it sits today with signed and healthy players only (No Cube and no RFA's other than Weber since he's not in dispute). I then added to today's roster SK, Cal O and Spaling to assume the RFA ruling goes in Nashville's favor. I looked at career highs for each player and also goals per game played to find an average over an 82 game season. (Quick avgs. rounded to nearest whole number).

In other words, what kind of goal production could we expect for the Preds in each scenario if each player had a career year versus what it would look like if each player scored his career average and assuming that each player played the entire 82 game schedule. That gives us a rough look at the "best case scenario" versus what we can expect based on the careers to date.

Roster as of Today (No RFA's)
Goals for based on Career Highs: 192 2.34 GF/G
Goals for based on Career Avg Projected over 82 games: 163 1.98 GF/G

Roster with RFA's
Goals for based on Career Highs: 229 2.79 GF/G
Goals for based on Career Avg projected over 82 games: 197 2.40 GF/G

For reference, the Preds had 213 goals for a 2.60 GF/G last year."

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Jarnberg

Basically all of our players matching their career years would have us likely around the middle of the league in scoring. Meanwhile each Stanley Cup winner since the lockout has been top ten in scoring. The team needs to improve offensively if they want to be a legitimate threat.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
sighthndlady

Would Poile be interested in either Ladd or MacArthur if they can't come to an agreement with their teams?

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Would Poile be interested in either Ladd or MacArthur if they can't come to an agreement with their teams?
Ladd signed with WPG today

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Basically all of our players matching their career years would have us likely around the middle of the league in scoring. Meanwhile each Stanley Cup winner since the lockout has been top ten in scoring. The team needs to improve offensively if they want to be a legitimate threat.
Understatement. The numbers don't lie.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:48 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

There are currently two teams in the NHl who look like they need to shed salary; Buffalo and Washington. Which means either Jason Pominville and Alex Semin.

Nashville has the cash space for one and if Weber and SK are generous and Nashville were willing to lose some of their RFAs, both. But it would be only one.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
There are currently two teams in the NHl who look like they need to shed salary; Buffalo and Washington. Which means either Jason Pominville and Alex Semin.

Nashville has the cash space for one and if Weber and SK are generous and Nashville were willing to lose some of their RFAs, both. But it would be only one.
Pass on Pominville. That's an awful lot of money to commit to a 60-point player.

Honestly, Semin is exactly what we need, but we can't commit the kind of resources he would require if there's a good chance he won't be around after one year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:16 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Yea id pass on Pominville, not exactly what we need. Most likely another Preds player topping 50-60pts. I dont see him getting 80 pts again

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Pass on Pominville. That's an awful lot of money to commit to a 60-point player.

Honestly, Semin is exactly what we need, but we can't commit the kind of resources he would require if there's a good chance he won't be around after one year.
Agreed. Problem is that everyone has cap room and unless there is a falling out with said player most teams will keep their players.

Old
07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
deanwormer

If we can put up the same number of goals we did last year, an additional 20G scorer would move us up from 21st in scoring to 12th. We'd all like a Stamkos/Semin type, but it's probably not very likely. But, a 20G guy - that outta' be doable in Poile's budget. Target a guy that will help the PP and I think with our D (we were 3rd last year, behind VAN and BOS) and a little work getting our FO% up we could be seriously competitive.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:07 PM
cleangene

Anyone figured out Poile's "PLAN" or found out "WHAT'S UP HIS SLEEVE" yet????????+

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Anyone figured out Poile's "PLAN" or found out "WHAT'S UP HIS SLEEVE" yet????????+
I'm sure he can't play his cards until after the RFA Gate hearing with the NHLPA

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Re-sign our players.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:05 PM
cleangene

I hate to be thinking this way, but these comments off the TSN recap of today's move are hitting close to home:

"Preds need scoring..desperatly..so they sign a plug that couldn't make the lineup on the 30th place team..what happened..this team made it to second round, looked strong, showed improvement..now they have stepped back 3 years..this is how the GM shows Weber and other young stars where the teams future is going? Most of the good players will want out of Nashville ASAP"
Btw, would loved to have Scooter Nichol back here. It's VERY hard to believe Stortini offered more than #12 in that same area of player ratings.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We haven't stepped back 3 years, but we haven't improved. We also have not made any indications of acquiring the forward we need, while arguably two perfect fits were dealt within the conference and division. Patience is a virtue, but hesitancy and passivity are not. Both of those two things define David Poile. It is his strength and weakness. Always has been, always will be.

07-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
"Preds need scoring..desperatly..so they sign a plug that couldn't make the lineup on the 30th place team..what happened..this team made it to second round, looked strong, showed improvement..now they have stepped back 3 years..this is how the GM shows Weber and other young stars where the teams future is going? Most of the good players will want out of Nashville ASAP"
While I don't think it's that extreme, it's closer to truth than not. Any time the Preds make progress, something happens to kill all of the momentum in the offseason.

Make the playoffs for the first time? League is locked out for the entire next season.

Have one of the best records in the league and trade for Peter Forsberg? Trade away all of your best players to devalue the franchise as they come within a few heartbeats of moving to Hamilton.

Win your first playoff series? Fail to re-sign Weber in a timely manner, introduce a new logo/jersey to much criticism, and who knows how the RFA situation will turn out... no hope of adding a legit scorer either.

I'm not jumping off a bridge (I actually think there is potential to be a better team next season), but there certainly seems to be many who are willing to do so.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:43 PM
deanwormer

Ballsillie's plane landed this afternoon and his new best pal Bettman was with him. Got a look at Karl Dean's calendar and he has a meeting "ny lawyer". Freeman's tax troubles have now become the whole groups. The Sports Authority decided the Preds don't have enough equity and are putting the screws to them. Shea wants out, hence the short contract. Chicken Little was seen on Broadway tonight.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:27 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Ballsillie's plane landed this afternoon and his new best pal Bettman was with him. Got a look at Karl Dean's calendar and he has a meeting "ny lawyer". Freeman's tax troubles have now become the whole groups. The Sports Authority decided the Preds don't have enough equity and are putting the screws to them. Shea wants out, hence the short contract. Chicken Little was seen on Broadway tonight.
you forgot the lockout was over and vy signed a lifetime deal with the titans-contingent os the signing of adam jones

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Everlong
-

I think a good buy-low option right now would be on Niklas Hagman. He's making a hefty 3mil for one more year then he's a UFA. At the end of the season calgary was stuffing him on the 3rd/4th lines, not really getting proper icetime. However I've heard, not certain, that they're considering waiving him, in which case I think we should grab him. He would fit into this team really well with his style of play, has skill and can score. Just wasn't properly utilized in Calgary.

Just thinking of some ways for Poile to make a splash offensively on a budget.

Other than that, I'm surprised Miettinen is still on the market. I thought he would atleast go before Bergfors. I guess he's not on the radar.

Last edited by Everlong: 07-06-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Doyle

Preds have an interesting start to Free Agency
http://nhlhotstove.com/preds-have-an...o-free-agency/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:38 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
.Other than that, I'm surprised Miettinen is still on the market. I thought he would atleast go before Bergfors. I guess he's not on the radar.
Or thinks he's worth more than we want to pay.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:47 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I think a good buy-low option right now would be on Niklas Hagman. He's making a hefty 3mil for one more year then he's a UFA. At the end of the season calgary was stuffing him on the 3rd/4th lines, not really getting proper icetime. However I've heard, not certain, that they're considering waiving him, in which case I think we should grab him. He would fit into this team really well with his style of play, has skill and can score. Just wasn't properly utilized in Calgary.

Just thinking of some ways for Poile to make a splash offensively on a budget.

Other than that, I'm surprised Miettinen is still on the market. I thought he would atleast go before Bergfors. I guess he's not on the radar.
Miettinen is a more expensive option with less upside. He's more likely to be a "safe" player, you can have him in the lineup and no matter what, he won't hurt you, but he's essentially a glorified, Finnish Nick Spaling. I'd rather spend the money, if we're going to spend it, on someone that fits the needs better.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:05 AM
thomas magnum

So I know this has been talked about before but we're approximately 12.5 mil from the cap floor. We've got a lot of work to do just to hit that. What does everyone assume the internal budget is going to be this year? I've heard they have more money to work with than last season. Even if they sign Weber for 8mil they are still going to have a bunch of money to play with. With out knowing the exact number the RFA's will sign for we might have 4 to 6mil to play with. That will pay for a pretty decent offensive forward but who can we pry away from a team in trade?

Semin is at 6.7 for the this year. Do you think all these bargain basement signings are leading up to a trade because he will barely fit under what the Preds are looking at spending?

Yes, I realize this is massive speculation.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:29 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
Yes, I realize this is massive speculation.
Considering that we don't appear to have any plan whatsoever, then it's as good as any.

While we're kicking the tires on here, i looked at the FA list, and there's really not much left:

Miettinen might not be a bad pick up - the dude scored close to 20G in Minnesota's defense first, defense second, defense third system. He might be wanting to much right now, but those prices tend to drop.

Prospal can score, but he's old and fragile, and we don't want to go there. A couple of reclaimation projects like Brunnstrom. A guy we don't want in Arnott.

So help will likely come from a trade. I don't see Semin as likely, as Washington is going for a cup this year and will worry about him later, plus we've an aversion to Russians. Buffalo can stash some guys in the minors, so they don't have that bad cap #s.

I think by far the most likely scenario is we sign our own RFA's, and go into the season and then can swing a big trade adding $$$$'s at the deadline.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:39 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Considering that we don't appear to have any plan whatsoever, then it's as good as any.

While we're kicking the tires on here, i looked at the FA list, and there's really not much left:

Miettinen might not be a bad pick up - the dude scored close to 20G in Minnesota's defense first, defense second, defense third system. He might be wanting to much right now, but those prices tend to drop.

Prospal can score, but he's old and fragile, and we don't want to go there. A couple of reclaimation projects like Brunnstrom. A guy we don't want in Arnott.

So help will likely come from a trade. I don't see Semin as likely, as Washington is going for a cup this year and will worry about him later, plus we've an aversion to Russians. Buffalo can stash some guys in the minors, so they don't have that bad cap #s.

I think by far the most likely scenario is we sign our own RFA's, and go into the season and then can swing a big trade adding $$$$'s at the deadline.
I think you could be right about this but I also think that the Preds are barely going to reach the cap floor with all the RFA signings. Unless Weber signs for like 9 mil or something.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote