HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps Sign Vokoun 1yr/1.5 Million

Old
07-03-2011, 10:59 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Yeah I figured vokoun approached gmgm. And he said "this is all we have left".

I still think that signing him to a 3-4 yr 4M deal and trading neuvy isn't out of realm of possibilty.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:00 AM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
- EdFrankovic: GMGM: our scouting staff had Vokoun in the top 10 goalies in the league.
- David_Getz: GMGM says Caps were approached by Vokoun's camp after Varlamov was dealt to COL.
- SkyKerstein: #Caps GMGM says that Vokoun's agent said he wanted to win right now, says his agent said he wanted to come here the last couple of seasons.
I forget who said it, but somebody on Twitter made the observation that McPhee effectively killed the goalie market with the Varlamov trade, which probably led to Vokoun deciding on a one-year deal with a contender.

According to Nick Kypreos, Colorado told Vokoun that they had an offer coming and to hold tight. They never made an offer. Instead, for some reason, they make the Varlamov trade, probably believing that Vokoun would be more expensive, being the only true starter on the market. But Colorado and Phoenix were the only two organizations who needed (and could afford) a starting goaltender, and neither one at this point is exactly a guarantee to make the playoffs.

So, when Colorado made the Varlamov deal, they effectively forced Vokoun to find a job, and because the Capitals--a good team that's been active in free agency to win now--suddenly had a lack of goaltender depth, he turned to them.

So, thanks Colorado.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Langway
Intangibles

SkyKerstein: #Caps Vokoun says he was offered two different three year deals from Florida, turned them down.

McPhee said they were interested in a higher-end AHLer for depth purposes when this came about. Vokoun wasn't given any playing time assurances and wouldn't expect them. Refreshing.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:34 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I still think that signing him to a 3-4 yr 4M deal and trading neuvy isn't out of realm of possibilty.
I actually see it as how this plays out eventually. Vokoun is a hell of a G playing on some pretty crappy teams. If he had been on a contender the whole time he would have been a much hotter commodity. Its no secret that Holtby is the future of this organization. I can easily see Vokoun being the signing of the year and playing himself into a 3-4 year contract.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:43 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yep say we get deep in playoffs and vokoun is a huge reason why. This offseason may make vokoun not want to go into ufa abyss and we may get a term contract at a discount. Then move nuevy at draft.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:43 AM
txpd

Quote:
SkyKerstein: #Caps Vokoun says he was offered two different three year deals from Florida, turned them down.

McPhee said they were interested in a higher-end AHLer for depth purposes when this came about. Vokoun wasn't given any playing time assurances and wouldn't expect them. Refreshing.
think of vokoun as the ufa version of the huet deal. it dropped in his lap and he was flexible enough to score it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:46 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
I forget who said it, but somebody on Twitter made the observation that McPhee effectively killed the goalie market with the Varlamov trade, which probably led to Vokoun deciding on a one-year deal with a contender.

According to Nick Kypreos, Colorado told Vokoun that they had an offer coming and to hold tight. They never made an offer. Instead, for some reason, they make the Varlamov trade, probably believing that Vokoun would be more expensive, being the only true starter on the market. But Colorado and Phoenix were the only two organizations who needed (and could afford) a starting goaltender, and neither one at this point is exactly a guarantee to make the playoffs.

So, when Colorado made the Varlamov deal, they effectively forced Vokoun to find a job, and because the Capitals--a good team that's been active in free agency to win now--suddenly had a lack of goaltender depth, he turned to them.

So, thanks Colorado.
remember last season when the depth center market got killed leaving mcphee holding the bag on both steckel and belanger?

it happened again this offseason in the goalie market leaving mcphee smelling like a rose.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:38 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

You ***holes. This is the steal of the summer.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Ovys Missing Tooth

Quote:
Yep say we get deep in playoffs and vokoun is a huge reason why. This offseason may make vokoun not want to go into ufa abyss and we may get a term contract at a discount. Then move nuevy at draft.
Is this a reasonable fantasy:

Avs finish in bottom 5 so we get top five pick, plus 2nd in the top 5 of the 2nd. Caps finish in top 2-3. Neuvy, playing in about 30 games, confirms that he's a decent #1 goalie.

Sign Vokoun to 3-4 year deal.

Trade Neuvy, our #1 (29-30), and Colorado's #2 (31-35) for a 2nd top-10 pick in a great draft.

Two top 10 picks in this draft plus our other awesomeness = DYNASTY! (Also, PROFIT!)

Ovys Missing Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:53 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Cunning moves or dumb luck, this is a great coup for GMGM and the Caps.

Vokoun can help mentor Neuvy and Kolzig can help mentor Holtby.

Frankly, after Holtby's meltdown in the AHL playoffs last year, I was a little concerned about Holtby not being ready to be the backup.

Kolzig will set him straight and keep him focused.

This should work out great.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Dude why you be embarresing me? I done already posted that with a video of a passive Varly being punched. This done confirm Vokoun is over 9,000 times better!
That was great. Varly started that whole mess. Classic.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovys Missing Tooth View Post
Is this a reasonable fantasy:

Avs finish in bottom 5 so we get top five pick, plus 2nd in the top 5 of the 2nd. Caps finish in top 2-3. Neuvy, playing in about 30 games, confirms that he's a decent #1 goalie.

Sign Vokoun to 3-4 year deal.

Trade Neuvy, our #1 (29-30), and Colorado's #2 (31-35) for a 2nd top-10 pick in a great draft.

Two top 10 picks in this draft plus our other awesomeness = DYNASTY! (Also, PROFIT!)
We don't have Colorado's #2 next year. We have either Boston's #2 in 2012, or Colorado's #2 in 2013.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:31 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

You upgrade in goal, his cheaper than Varlamov and you add 1st + 2nd round picks. George McPhee is a genius. Good for you guys. We're rivals, but Caps is my team when we're golfing.

Last edited by AwesomePanthers: 07-03-2011 at 02:41 PM.
AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
If we win the cup you can expect a full blown younth movement, which most people here wil LOVE because it would involve getting rid of Semin. Getting deep into the playoffs only means so much. Ask Canuck fans how much fun it is to loose in Game 7 of the Finals, after dedicating hours upon hours of watching hockey. In the end the feeling is really not that much different then getting swept in the second round by a hated division rival.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:56 PM
exwhaler

I think it would be extremely silly to trade a young, talented, and cheap goaltender like Neuvirth to resign a guy over 35 to a 3-5 year contract that's probably going to cost near $5 million a year, especially with some other contracts to settle like John Carlson's.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:58 PM
EroCaps

TV sounded disappointed he didn't accept a longer deal in FLA to stay with his family had he known FLA was going to be active on July 1st.

He's supposed to be class act, so hopefully it works out for everyone.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, let's not get too excited here and talk about a Vokoun extension yet. If he does well, he obviously wants to be in DC, so worry about a 1-2 year extension after the season. Trade Neuvirth and bring Holtby up as the backup. Perfect stop-gap for Braden.

For this season, I'd like to see a 50-30 split Vokoun-Neuvirth. Each one can handle more of a load, but this should keep both fresh for the post-season.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, let's not get too excited here and talk about a Vokoun extension yet. If he does well, he obviously wants to be in DC, so worry about a 1-2 year extension after the season. Trade Neuvirth and bring Holtby up as the backup. Perfect stop-gap for Braden.

For this season, I'd like to see a 50-30 split Vokoun-Neuvirth. Each one can handle more of a load, but this should keep both fresh for the post-season.
Man we're spoiled. Teams are trading potential lottery picks and top 6 Centers to acquire one goalie. We on the other hand are only happy if we have 3 guys that can play.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Dirtbag59

Anyone remember this little event, lol.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Anyone remember this little event, lol.
Yeah. Is it sad that one of the first thoughts that popped into my head when I heard we signed Vokoun was "guess we're not going after Ballard"?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Obligatory:

Hopefully he keeps his head about him.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Man we're spoiled.

When will I be spoiled with a Cup in D.C.?

We are not spoiled. The team sucked this year. Maybe the changes will help but we ain't spoiled by a longshot. The way I figure it, it'd take about 10 straight Stanley Cups to soothe our collective pain.

Surely the old Capital Centre was built on an Indian burial ground?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:23 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

LightSabre. Awesome.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
When will I be spoiled with a Cup in D.C.?

We are not spoiled. The team sucked this year. Maybe the changes will help but we ain't spoiled by a longshot. The way I figure it, it'd take about 10 straight Stanley Cups to soothe our collective pain.

Surely the old Capital Centre was built on an Indian burial ground?
Talk about taking the quote out of context. I specifically referred to our situation in net where we have 3 quality options at a time were many teams are paying a premium for 1 netminder.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Obligatory:

Hopefully he keeps his head about him.
Thats amazing. Top shelf.