Jets Sign Randy Jones (1 Yr Deal)

Old
07-02-2011, 07:32 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
I was responding to your question which was "does anyone think these signings are good?", not "does anyone think this particular signing is good?"

Where has he been dubbed one of the worst d-man in the league?
Go look in the "worst players in the NHL thread" on the general board. He's on there a lot. Also, in the Trade board version of this thread many people are saying that he is a very very bad defenseman.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:38 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Why is Cheveldayoff prioritizing AHL moves before NHL?

The NHL team could use a top 6 right wing and two thirds of a third line that can PK. Yet he is losing out on the quality of UFA to other GMs because he seems to be focused on AHL team when their are plenty of these players to sign. How is Chevy going to address the team PK needs when the good quality of 3rd liners like a Marty Reasoner are already gone in the first couple of days?
I am not going to defend their every move, but TNSE has a long term plan/vision for this franchise which will be reflected in the hockey operations moves they make.

All of 41 home games will be sold out next season at an average ticket price of $82 per game. They don't need to sign anyone of significance this year besides the existing RFAs to be honest. They don't have to make the playoffs this year or even next. If there is an important time for this organization to peak in terms of the on-ice performance, it would be after the honeymoon period of having the NHL back in Winnipeg. I am sounding like a broken record. They are going to build this team via the draft/in-house player development.

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:00 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Meh, I don't love the signing. That being said it's a 1 year deal so it's hardly anything to trade in my tickets over.
I also think everyone needs to calm down. We're building depth and filling out a roster and bolstering an AHL roster. We're not singing him to a 5 year 15 million dollar deal or anything haha

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Why is Cheveldayoff prioritizing AHL moves before NHL?

The NHL team could use a top 6 right wing and two thirds of a third line that can PK. Yet he is losing out on the quality of UFA to other GMs because he seems to be focused on AHL team when their are plenty of these players to sign. How is Chevy going to address the team PK needs when the good quality of 3rd liners like a Marty Reasoner are already gone in the first couple of days?
After the UFA period ends teams who have splurged on free agents will now have to get under the salary cap.

For some teams, like the Flames, thats the NHL cap, for others like the Predators, its their own cap set by ownership.

In any event, these teams will look to move players and Winnipeg would be an excellent trading partner.

Look at the recent deal Buffalo made with Calgary.

Calgary is desperate to shed salary and gave up their best shut down defenseman in Regehr for two young prospects who will be good but not great.

This is a much better way of getting the up front help we need without breaking the bank on less talented UFA's.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Randy Jones just plan sucks. Really. No other way to put it. I watched him in LA, he singlehandedly lost game 2 versus Vancouver and helped them greatly with the rest of the series. He is not worth one penny on an NHL roster, nevermind over a million. Beyond terrible defensively, adds very little offensively, turnover machine. Terrible, terrible signing.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:29 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Really? No words...

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:33 PM
PensFan6687

Depth signing guys. Depth signings. At the same token, I am not saying I am thrilled with it either.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:38 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Worst defenseman in the Nhl. Puzzled how he finds a job.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
After the UFA period ends teams who have splurged on free agents will now have to get under the salary cap.

For some teams, like the Flames, thats the NHL cap, for others like the Predators, its their own cap set by ownership.

In any event, these teams will look to move players and Winnipeg would be an excellent trading partner.

Calgary is desperate to shed salary and gave up their best shut down defenseman in Regehr for two young prospects who will be good but not great.

This is a much better way of getting the up front help we need without breaking the bank on less talented UFA's.
Well said!

With all due respect people are freaking out way too prematurely. We have no idea what moves are left, which players will play where and what roles they will fill.

Honestly, why do people always jump the gun here? There are almost 100 days till the season starts. Lets cool our Jets here and wait and see how this develops. We need to ice a competitive minor league team and I believe some of these moves will help with that.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:52 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Don't see why everyone's overreacting. I'm not worried. If he's as bad as he's made out to be and Postma or Kulda truly are ready, they will beat him out for a position in camp.

If they cannot beat him out then clearly they are NOT ready. In the event that one of them does, he will be bound for St. Johns.

NOT A BIG DEAL. He's merely a depth signing to create some added competition for the kids in camp.

Last edited by untouchable21: 07-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.
untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:27 PM
jon1976

He does seem like he's prioritizing the Ahl team in St.johns more than the Jets. Or maybe it is Zinger thats is more in charge than Chevy!! But c'mon, they've gotta sign some1 like Frolov, or Zherdev!!

jon1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Hammer Slammer
#MBMoose

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1976 View Post
He does seem like he's prioritizing the Ahl team in St.johns more than the Jets. Or maybe it is Zinger thats is more in charge than Chevy!! But c'mon, they've gotta sign some1 like Frolov, or Zherdev!!

Hammer Slammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

there is a reason Randy Jones cant last more than one year with any team. even for a 7th defenseman there are better options

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Pass.Zinger is responsible for what happens down here we got a few pieces.

I have been happy with what Chevy has done.Only thing I question is the Randy Jones signing.

Both Zherdev and Frolov will have new homes in the KHL.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
wpgJetsfan

I think everyone is overreacting with these signings.

TNSE is building a hard working team. Remember when the NJ devils won those cups with players that at first we never thought they were superstars? Then look what happened.

I think TNSE is doing everything the right way.

wpgJetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:16 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgJetsfan View Post
I think everyone is overreacting with these signings.

TNSE is building a hard working team. Remember when the NJ devils won those cups with players that at first we never thought they were superstars? Then look what happened.

I think TNSE is doing everything the right way.
Who exactly, that TNSE has brought in, do you think is going to be a superstar???

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:27 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
If I'm not mistaken Randy Jones is being paid 1.15 Million to be on the NHL team. Even if he is just there as a 7th D, it is a spot that should've been filled with our young guys ESPECIALLY if we aren't going to be contending this year. So far, we've signed three guys that could/should/will fill that 7th D spot.

Also, there's a reason this guy has been dubbed one of the worst defensemen in the league.
Why would you ever bring a young player up to be the 7th defenseman and sit in the press box when he would be far better off playing 20+ minutes a night in the AHL. Jones as a veteran is a perfect number 7 as he will understand and accept his role. He is good enough that he can come in and play if needed. He also wont lose confidence if he finds himself sitting a lot like a younger player would. From what I've heard he's good in the locker room and can provide some leadership for some of the younger guys on our team.

If some of the younger d are ready, they will find places in the top 6 where they will get to play game in game out to develope. In short they wont be competing with Jones but will be competing with the likes of Odulya (I beleive will be delt) and Stuart for bottem pairing slots.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:40 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Why would you ever bring a young player up to be the 7th defenseman and sit in the press box when he would be far better off playing 20+ minutes a night in the AHL. Jones as a veteran is a perfect number 7 as he will understand and accept his role. He is good enough that he can come in and play if needed. He also wont lose confidence if he finds himself sitting a lot like a younger player would. From what I've heard he's good in the locker room and can provide some leadership for some of the younger guys on our team.

If some of the younger d are ready, they will find places in the top 6 where they will get to play game in game out to develope. In short they wont be competing with Jones but will be competing with the likes of Odulya (I beleive will be delt) and Stuart for bottem pairing slots.
Because they've been doing it for AT LEAST 2 years now. Randy Jones is NOT the perfect 7th d-man either. He's ok, but there are better choices then him.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:57 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Having the young guys like Kulda or Postma on the team for the purpose of filling the # 7 spot does not help their development over a long season. These guys either play in the top 6 on a regular basis or be the top guys down in the AHL.

I'd much rather they play 20 plus minutes a game in all situation in the AHL than play one of every 4 or 5 games and only get 6 minutes of playing time.

When they are ready to be full time NHLers, there will be no holding them back and they will be better pros for the AHL seasoning they received.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:57 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Because they've been doing it for AT LEAST 2 years now. Randy Jones is NOT the perfect 7th d-man either. He's ok, but there are better choices then him.
Maybe there are but maybe they didn't want to come here, none of us know. I am also well aware that Atlata rushed most of their young players and I for one don't want to follow that strategy. If the player is ready a spot will be made for them, but I don't want any more kids like Burmistrov making the team prematurally when they would be much better served playing big minutes in junior or the AHL.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Just to be accurate, Kulda has played 4 years in the AHL. Postma has played 2. At some point, they can't develop anymore in the AHL and will have to take the next step.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:14 AM
buyinnow

Quote:
This franchise may not be the one for you. If you're looking for them to entertain you by throwing money around during the off season, you'll never be happy. You would be much happier following a team like the Rangers. They will give you plenty of fodder to get excited about during the off season. But the Jets, which most of us have understood since day 1, will not be major free agent players.

buyinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Having the young guys like Kulda or Postma on the team for the purpose of filling the # 7 spot does not help their development over a long season. These guys either play in the top 6 on a regular basis or be the top guys down in the AHL.

I'd much rather they play 20 plus minutes a game in all situation in the AHL than play one of every 4 or 5 games and only get 6 minutes of playing time.

When they are ready to be full time NHLers, there will be no holding them back and they will be better pros for the AHL seasoning they received.
I generally agree with this (I also hope the team applies this philosophy with Cormier), but Kulda is waiver eligible this season, right? I think he'll be on the big team. Looks like the Jets are planning on either carrying 8 dmen or making a trade.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Jet
More Finnz pls

I'm not saying I would have been going after a Randy Jones if I was the Jets this off season, but the guy has played 350 NHL games for a reason.

I will be very interested to see where he will fit in with the org, or if Chevy and co have other deal(s) planned that will make Jones signing make more sense.

He could just be a guy we are picking up for St. John's.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:53 AM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post

I, as a Thrashers' fan, know that this way of filling cap floor is not very good.

Waiting for other teams what they will do decreases the options for Jets. Yeah, you're right, other teams probably will have to trade some players, but what if that players won't fit Jets well? Why do you want to rely on what other teams will offer you? The most recent case in Thrashers' history is Mathieu Schneider. He was traded on 26th September 2008, few days before beginning of the season. He was 39 at that time and his cap hit was around 5,75 milion (don't remember exact number). I think quite overpiad, don't you? And he sucked. Yeah, he was really poor D-man, one of the worst in our team that season. Yeah, we didn't give up too much for him, but I'm sure it would have been better to not rely on other teams but to choose own players from UFA market who fit your team better.

And what if Schneider didn't suck? Well, you have to count on that you will get players on his last year of contract. And if that player is good, he may walk out after the season and then you have to find a good replacement and replacing every season some players is not good, too. And don't forget, Winnipeg won't be attractive city for players (such as Edmonton), and also I believe that Jets will have own internal salary cap and they won't be willing to spend so much dollars as other teams can.

ThrashersfanSVK is offline   Reply With Quote