Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets Sign Randy Jones (1 Yr Deal)

Old
07-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Randy Jones will be the 7th defence man and I reckon it's a good deal. He's got 103 points in 306 games, which I would say, if he can continue to get 20-30 points as he has in the past at LA and Philadelphia, then he'd be a decent player. Of course, he'll probably spend time at St.Johns as well.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:48 AM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

vCash: 500
Jones would deserve these negative reactions if this signing happened a year ago. He played in Tampa very well, last year.

ThrashersfanSVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:04 AM
TheLastSedin

I'm hoping Jones is a pleasant surprise during the season. He wasn't very good on the kings or the lightning.

TheLastSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:23 AM
IslandJet

Well that signing makes it evident. We're going to ice an AHL team with an AHL coach and a rookie GM who might be in a little over his head

IslandJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:43 AM
South Beach

Jones played extremely well for the Lightning and was their go to guy for penalty killing and was playing against opposition's top lines playing over 20 minutes every night. Players change when they are given the chance and gain confidence.

South Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groutzky View Post
Well that signing makes it evident. We're going to ice an AHL team with an AHL coach and a rookie GM who might be in a little over his head

You know that these signings were for depth, right? A 7th d-man, a few 4th line grinders, a few guys for our AHL club. Did you watch hockey last year? Jones was a nice surprise in Tampa and played well.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:33 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Damn! I'm feeling right at home again!

Are you sure that Waddell and ASG aren't still pulling the strings?

I wonder if Bogosian and Oduya or Hainsey are being shopped?

And to answer you HammerSlammer,
This team was sold to us last year as depth for a playoff run....There aren't enough top 2 line players. THERE'S your problem.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:38 AM
ScottyBowman

Good luck making the playoffs with a bunch of "hard working" depth players. Hopefully your owner is not some sort of cheap ass capitalizing on hungry fans. Randy Jones/Meech/Glass are all scrubs.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Benji Frank

Anyone notice the length of these contracts? Quit whining.

They're basicially building a team that will be exciting and compete now while giving them a season to start building the team the owners and management envision.

My guess is before long: Kane, Burmistov, Ladd, cormier, Little, Bogasian, Byflugien, Pavelic and a few others will be locked up for 4 or 5 years and a few other pieces will be acquired as they come available to fill out the core.

You're not going to see this ownership group throw 30 mill at wiz or 60 mill at richards. they worked too hard bringing the NHL back to winnipeg to kiss it all goodbye immediately!

When it's all said and done, and we have a core that chevy likes long-term my guess is our top player will earn well under $7M ... and really what decent signing in the $5M+ range has there been on July 1st in recent years??

If these guys were already somehow able to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg, have faith. We'll be fine!!!

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Good luck making the playoffs with a bunch of "hard working" depth players. Hopefully your owner is not some sort of cheap ass capitalizing on hungry fans. Randy Jones/Meech/Glass are all scrubs.
Apparently you don't know who Mark Chipman is.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
You mean Bill Wirtz 2.0?

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:28 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
All I know is that the Jets are not an expansion team and were a .500 team last year. A few decent players and a new direction and they could make the playoffs. Stocking the team with "depth" players that are absolute junk and you'll be worse. Chipman is going to be laughing all the way to the bank though.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Lux Aurumque*

These signings are getting plain embarrassing. Randy Jones is the worst defenseman in the NHL.

Cheveldayoff needs to go. Fire him, please.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
These signings are getting plain embarrassing. Randy Jones is the worst defenseman in the NHL.

Cheveldayoff needs to go. Fire him, please.
You've posted this, or something very similar to this about everything that the Franchise has done to this point...

In fact looking at your post history, you go all over the site and just flame the Jets... trolling? Or did you just forget how running a franchise works outside of NHL11?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 07-03-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: flaming
wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
You've posted this, or something very similar to this about everything that the Franchise has done to this point...

In fact looking at your post history, you go all over the site and just flame the Jets... trolling? Or did you just forget how running a franchise works outside of NHL11?
I've been following this franchise since 1999. I've seen some horrible signings, and some bad
drafting. This offseason, thus far, has been the worst by a mile. Don Waddell made better decisions than Chevy has, and that's just plain embarrassing. Cheveldayoff has made this team worse than it was last season, and they didn't even come close to the playoffs last year. The draft blunder of taking Scheifele over much better players that were available was the worst blunder since taking Stefan over one of the Sedins. Hiring Noel? That's the worst coaching decision since hiring Curt Fraser.

TNSE has made zero good decisions for this franchise, aside from naming them the Jets (Which was a great decision). This is just sad, though. These free agents are garbage. Jones is a joke. He shouldn't be anywhere near the NHL. Getting rid of Stewart was plain stupid.

I could go on and on. This team will be a lottery team. Frankly, I miss Atlanta Spirit and the Don Waddell gongshow.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Cool story bro. So maybe now is the perfect opportunity for you to sever your ties with this franchise. Please, do.

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
Cool story bro. So maybe now is the perfect opportunity for you to sever your ties with this franchise.
As long as Toby Enstrom plays for this team, I'll continue to cheer for them. Although, with the incompetence Cheveldayoff has shown thus far, I won't be shocked when Enstrom is traded to the Leafs for Colton Orr.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

vCash: 1004
Man... People need to quit the lambasting of Chevy and Co.

Not even a pre-season game has been played and we're already sharpening our pitchforks, climbing on our soapboxes and lighting our torches.

Makeshift We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:09 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
I've been following this franchise since 1999. I've seen some horrible signings, and some bad
drafting. This offseason, thus far, has been the worst by a mile. Don Waddell made better decisions than Chevy has, and that's just plain embarrassing. Cheveldayoff has made this team worse than it was last season, and they didn't even come close to the playoffs last year. The draft blunder of taking Scheifele over much better players that were available was the worst blunder since taking Stefan over one of the Sedins. Hiring Noel? That's the worst coaching decision since hiring Curt Fraser.

TNSE has made zero good decisions for this franchise, aside from naming them the Jets (Which was a great decision). This is just sad, though. These free agents are garbage. Jones is a joke. He shouldn't be anywhere near the NHL. Getting rid of Stewart was plain stupid.

I could go on and on. This team will be a lottery team. Frankly, I miss Atlanta Spirit and the Don Waddell gongshow.
Aren't you a delight?

I'm not convinced you have any idea of how a franchise works.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Randy Jones will be the 7th defence man and I reckon it's a good deal. He's got 103 points in 306 games, which I would say, if he can continue to get 20-30 points as he has in the past at LA and Philadelphia, then he'd be a decent player. Of course, he'll probably spend time at St.Johns as well.
I watched him in LA alot as I am a Kings fan (now a 1b situation ) Jones sucks. Really, he got those points and still was a - player. Turnover machine, is average skater and puckmover AT BEST, and horrible defensively. He is not even good as a #7. I take Meech as a #7 over him. The only thing he will help is getting this team to the first overall.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:26 PM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

It will sound strange but Canadian North is partially right. I have been following this team for 7 years and this is the most inactive summer from the managment so far. And there is not any case when the zero activity is a sign of something good. This team doesn't need complete rebuilding, this team needs decent moves, however sorry, Meech, Jones, Rypien, Glass (last three of them have 1-way contracts...) are not decent signings. Maybe Jones, when I look at his last season. This team doesn't need grinders, this team doesn't need great AHLers (Haydar is not enough?), this team needs at least one quality winger. Period. And also I don't understand why you took Scheifele over Couturier, but I'm not able to say it's stupid move as it is just a draft and Scheifele can be better than Couturier by a mile in the future. Anyway, I'm confused so far.

ThrashersfanSVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:13 PM
PaperRockChamp

Couple things

- We need 1-way contracts
- We have 10F,7D,2G under contract (excluding Ladd/Bogo/Wheel)
- We need to get to the cap floor
- AHL team needs a roster as Van "owns" a lot of the ex-Moose players
- There needs to be SOME competition for roster spots, and guys like Glass/Rypien are going to work hard to earn one.

- Finally, maybe our worst fears are coming true and none of the more desireable FA's wanted to sign in WPG.

We all know we need a top 6 winger. The only one from this year that IMO could help was Ward.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:21 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

This is the most puzzling signing of the day, especially given the price and the fact that he sucks (at least worse than our current blueliners).

If they wanted a guy to sit in the press box and only play ~20 games when there are injuries, why not just sign a guy like Hale/Woywitka/Picard/Syvret/Belle for like 500k?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Maybe they see something they can develop in him that we don't see? I'm holding back on any criticism until I see the product on the ice. It's already a dream to see "Jets sign _____", oh how quickly we moved to "FIRE THE GM!" Not even given a chance.

Old
07-03-2011, 08:05 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

When Winnipeg lost the jets I became a flyers fan (long story) so I've seen plenty of Randy jones. I hate him. He's not a team guy at all and is very douchy. Homer signed him to ridiculous deal too which isn't jones fault I guess. I have no idea how his game has evolved but if he's the same player he was in Philly we won't like him one bit

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote