Jets Sign Randy Jones (1 Yr Deal)

Old
07-03-2011, 08:52 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
As long as Toby Enstrom plays for this team, I'll continue to cheer for them. Although, with the incompetence Cheveldayoff has shown thus far, I won't be shocked when Enstrom is traded to the Leafs for Colton Orr.
Your version of cheering for this team is very odd.

I can't wait till the season begins, so proper judgement can be made about the team, good or bad.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

vCash: 500
With all these signings being 1-year terms, it's pretty clear to me that Chevy and co are just finding temporary plugs. I don't think they are very concerned with making the playoffs this year. If they were in desperation mode like say Columbus, they could have gotten really active and tried to squeak into the playoffs. They just seem to be wading into the pool very slowly, using this year to assess what they've got.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Wpgpage

Really what did anyone expect, they have had no time at all to figure out the plan and they know that the season will be a huge success even if the team sucks. I really wouldn't expect them to make any major moves or signing longer than 2 years this off season. I've already written of years 1 and 2 of this team simply because its going to take them that long to get a full grasp of the organization and where they want to go with it. Does it suck? Yes but its the reality when you are relocating a team with a rookie ownership group.

Wpgpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:20 AM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
As long as Toby Enstrom plays for this team, I'll continue to cheer for them. Although, with the incompetence Cheveldayoff has shown thus far, I won't be shocked when Enstrom is traded to the Leafs for Colton Orr.
Please, please stop cheering for the team.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Cant say I am surprised. Seems to be at the same level of the other talent we have brought in.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Quote:
Cheer for them? I think you mean ***** and moan endlessly about them

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:44 AM
White Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Really what did anyone expect, they have had no time at all to figure out the plan and they know that the season will be a huge success even if the team sucks. I really wouldn't expect them to make any major moves or signing longer than 2 years this off season. I've already written of years 1 and 2 of this team simply because its going to take them that long to get a full grasp of the organization and where they want to go with it. Does it suck? Yes but its the reality when you are relocating a team with a rookie ownership group.
I think that is pretty fair. We all know what is going on here (NHL). Now throw in the Moose and the issues they have. The logistics (Include anything from uniforms to entertainment between periods) must be something we can't even imagine. They will need a year just to evaluate what they have on the ice for both teams regarding players. Sure I would like us to do better but I would call it a good year if they can match last year's performance. These are exceptional circumstances. I'd give them a Free Pass this year followed by year over year improvement.

-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:26 AM
South Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
When Winnipeg lost the jets I became a flyers fan (long story) so I've seen plenty of Randy jones. I hate him. He's not a team guy at all and is very douchy. Homer signed him to ridiculous deal too which isn't jones fault I guess. I have no idea how his game has evolved but if he's the same player he was in Philly we won't like him one bit
When Jones was signed by Tampa Bay last year there were these same comments until he hit the ice, then there weren't any negative comments about him. He was playing so well Coach Boucher's comment was "I didn't realize Jones could play like that. Until the point he got injured, he was one of our better defencemen." From what I saw in Tampa he's not the same player he was in LA.

South Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Please, please stop cheering for the team.
+1

Discussion, questioning, and constructive criticism is great.

*****ing, moaning, and crying like a 3 year old girl is pretty pathetic.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:34 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

He was the goat in LA two years ago in the playoffs, but seemed to be tolerated by Tampa fans in a limited role last season. He's a depth guy who's capable of logging decent minutes at the NHL level. Was he the guy burned by Seguin on that highlight-reel effort in round 3? I wouldn't want him in our top 4, but as a #6/7 he's a decent option.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:59 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach View Post
When Jones was signed by Tampa Bay last year there were these same comments until he hit the ice, then there weren't any negative comments about him. He was playing so well Coach Boucher's comment was "I didn't realize Jones could play like that. Until the point he got injured, he was one of our better defencemen." From what I saw in Tampa he's not the same player he was in LA.
Good to hear. I haven't seen much from him since he left Philly. Maybe there is hope. I know he was always considered a guy who had potential. He just never seemed to reach it in Philly. He was too busy trying to be smooth with the ladies.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
mikeysvette
Go Seadogs!

I played with Randy in minor hockey, wasn't great then, not great now. I was at the new "QPlex" arena this weekend here in his hometown, they named the street Randy Jones Way

mikeysvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Randy Jones? Why didn't his parents just call him Horny Jones, or Desperate for a Shag Jones?

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:45 PM
BrianL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
Randy Jones? Why didn't his parents just call him Horny Jones, or Desperate for a Shag Jones?
I used to work with a guy whose parents were German immigrants, and weren't familiar with English slang. His given names were Randy Peter.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:39 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Just a heads up guys, I asked the Tampa fans about Jones and their thought on him in their forum. Of the few responses I got it seems that they are not as down on his as a player as we are. Might be worth checking out for those who are interested.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Just a heads up guys, I asked the Tampa fans about Jones and their thought on him in their forum. Of the few responses I got it seems that they are not as down on his as a player as we are. Might be worth checking out for those who are interested.
Or, better yet, why don't we welcome him to our team and do something insane like, um, idk, WATCH him play for us for a few games BEFORE raking him through the coals.

Welcome, Randy. You have at least one friend here. Best of luck this year!

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 03:16 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Or, better yet, why don't we welcome him to our team and do something insane like, um, idk, WATCH him play for us for a few games BEFORE raking him through the coals.

Welcome, Randy. You have at least one friend here. Best of luck this year!
Just to clarify my position, I'm in the wait and see group. I just thinks it's important to hear from the fans who saw him most recently...they seem to feel he's a player worth having in the proper role.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote