HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2011-2012 Season III

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2011, 02:26 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Grier, Stillman, Dumont, Wellwood I wouldn't mind but I'd rather have Drury and Hunter than them.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind Wellwood on the cheap, seems like a good third liner.

Parse-Stoll-Wellwood
Clifford-Lewis-Richardson

Like the look of that bottom 6

Old
08-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Tatsdzyuk
wet fish

What do you guys think of Hugh Jessiman as a 3rd line winger?

Old
08-02-2011, 05:02 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsdzyuk View Post
LOL no. Never. EVER.

Old
08-02-2011, 07:50 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
For Ontario? Fine. Manchester? Maybe. Kings? Hell No.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Ollie Weeks

Wellwood's impressed me the last couple years. He's pesky to play against, but through his hard work rather than antics. Would love to have him for the bottom 6.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:40 AM
EmperorPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Not suggesting the Kings pursue these names, but I'm a bit surprised by the number of veterans and role players who remain unsigned that could help a young club or even a playoff contender. Usually it is these type of third/fourth line utility forwards who play an integral role for a playoff team, as seen with the likes of Kris Draper, Todd Marchant, Chris Kelly, John Madden, Craig Adams, etc.

John Madden - Still a useful defensive minded center
Mike Grier - Grinding forward who is also defensively aware
Cory Stillman - Versatile veteran winger with playmaking ability
Chris Clark - Gritty, character leader
J.P. Dumont - Another veteran playmaker who has been productive throughout his career
Kyle Wellwood - He transformed from a finesse player to a defensively responsible forward, similar to Brad Richardson
Ethan Moreau - Tough veteran leader, much like Scott Thornton
Fernando Pisani - Speedy checking winger who had a John Druce like playoff run in 2006
Brad Winchester - An enforcer who can chip in offensively
Ryan Johnson - Considered one of the best shot blocking centers in the NHL, always giving up his body for the team
I believe Winchester signed with Vancouver already.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:51 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Are you serious or did you forget the icon? He has to be the biggest bust of the semi current NHL 1st round draft. He was drafted 12th overall in 2003 and just recently played his first NHL (and has a total of 2 games experience). I'd rather put Westgarth there before Hugh Jessiman

Old
08-02-2011, 11:23 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Nothing wrong with having Richards or Loktionov on the "3rd" line. Richards played on the 3rd line last year.
Except that Richards is not a 3rd line center and hasn't been on for five years. He's a first line center on any team, except Lavolettes. There's not another coach in the NHL who would waste Richards talent on the third wing.

At his best, under Stevens/Murray in the same system the Kings use now in the same setting , as the #1 center and played with SKILLED winger, in those two years (his best in the pros) he had 58 goals, 155 points and was a plus 36. Lavvy took over, changed the system 360 degrees. His system is based on gifted offensive players, gifted skaters and scorers. So he made Briere and Giroux the top 2 centers and they got the skilled wingers. He designated Richards as the checking line center (and had no choice, neither of the other two are two way players, Briere's awful defensively) and Mike was forced to play all year wiht UNSKILLED (Nodl and Carcillo mostly) wingers. Two way forwards are far down the pecking order in Lavvy's system.

When playing with skilled forwards, due to his high hockey IQ and playmaking, Mike Richards led the Flyers last year in points on the PP and PK. But when saddled with parking cones for wingers, his points dropped. Trust me, Nodl's 11 goals were a gift, any other 4th line player with basic skill would have had 20 or more given the golden chances Richie provided to him. Nodl went 29 games w/o a goal. They tried bringing in Versteeg but he was total bust, just awful.

I know you only saw that he was the 3rd line center, so you probably didn't know why that was done. But he's far too skilled to be wasted like that.
And since Murray's system is the one he excels in, it's where he'll play. (also since Murray has already said several times, as recently as last week, he's going to put Gagne with Richards) he's in the top 6 not the bottom.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Grier, Stillman, Dumont, Wellwood I wouldn't mind but I'd rather have Drury and Hunter than them.
I'd love to have Mike Grier for a year on the cheap. I know he's slowed down but he'd be good for this young team. Stands up for his teammates too. Whoever it is... need someone else that can go when necessary, as it's pretty much Westgarth/Clifford (I don't want Richards fighting that much - he already plays a dangerous game. Same for Mitchell).

Old
08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
I'd love to have Mike Grier for a year on the cheap. I know he's slowed down but he'd be good for this young team. Stands up for his teammates too. Whoever it is... need someone else that can go when necessary, as it's pretty much Westgarth/Clifford (I don't want Richards fighting that much - he already plays a dangerous game. Same for Mitchell).
I totally agree with this. If Grier can be had for cheap, I think he'd be great for our 3rd/4th line. I don't want Richards to shy away from fights, but then again, we pay him to score goals/points, not get into scrums.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:08 PM
deeshamrock

PHP Code:
(I don't want Richards fighting that much - he already plays a dangerous game. Same for Mitchell). 
I agree, I used to worry that he'd hurt his hand hitting the helmet. He always takes his helmet off but the opponent does n't always do thta. Also, far too valuable, depending on game situation , to be lost for 5 minutes or more (10 minute or game ) . He gets very upset, (hot) when one of his teammates is wronged. That's when he usually goes, or if the team is flat, he'll go. That dropped off the last year and ahalf because laviolette does not like fighting. Richie fought Matt Cooke last Oct , six seconds into the game (was tied to something from the previous game the week before)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oyt8t-0tNo
and the coach was very displeased. I think he only had 4 fights last year.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Grier five years ago would be perfect. Now I think he's done.

Old
08-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I totally agree with this. If Grier can be had for cheap, I think he'd be great for our 3rd/4th line. I don't want Richards to shy away from fights, but then again, we pay him to score goals/points, not get into scrums.

No. You don't want Grier.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
Except that Richards is not a 3rd line center and hasn't been on for five years. He's a first line center on any team, except Lavolettes. There's not another coach in the NHL who would waste Richards talent on the third wing.

At his best, under Stevens/Murray in the same system the Kings use now in the same setting , as the #1 center and played with SKILLED winger, in those two years (his best in the pros) he had 58 goals, 155 points and was a plus 36. Lavvy took over, changed the system 360 degrees. His system is based on gifted offensive players, gifted skaters and scorers. So he made Briere and Giroux the top 2 centers and they got the skilled wingers. He designated Richards as the checking line center (and had no choice, neither of the other two are two way players, Briere's awful defensively) and Mike was forced to play all year wiht UNSKILLED (Nodl and Carcillo mostly) wingers. Two way forwards are far down the pecking order in Lavvy's system.

When playing with skilled forwards, due to his high hockey IQ and playmaking, Mike Richards led the Flyers last year in points on the PP and PK. But when saddled with parking cones for wingers, his points dropped. Trust me, Nodl's 11 goals were a gift, any other 4th line player with basic skill would have had 20 or more given the golden chances Richie provided to him. Nodl went 29 games w/o a goal. They tried bringing in Versteeg but he was total bust, just awful.

I know you only saw that he was the 3rd line center, so you probably didn't know why that was done. But he's far too skilled to be wasted like that.
And since Murray's system is the one he excels in, it's where he'll play. (also since Murray has already said several times, as recently as last week, he's going to put Gagne with Richards) he's in the top 6 not the bottom.
Richards regularly led the Flyers forwards in ice time under Laviolette. He often started games matched up against opponents' top lines, played the first PK unit, and was a part of the top PP unit as well. Richards played with Nodl and JVR for the beginning part of the season, but JVR played better with Giroux, so Carcillo was used with Richards a bit. Richards also played with Versteeg nearly every game after we acquired him. The Flyers didn't use 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines. We had 3 #1 lines and a clear #4 line.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
12/13 Lineup...just for ***** n giggles...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($6.500m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Simon Gagne ($3.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.900m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.000m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m) <---best checking line in the league
Brad Richardson ($1.175m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.725m) / Brandon Kozun ($0.575m) <---energy line
Richard Clune ($0.605m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Drew Doughty ($6.500m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
Alec Martinez ($0.737m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Jake Muzzin ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,461,309; BONUSES: $620,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,838,691

Only thing about this is no Loktionov...not sure where he would fit unless we really did let Stoll walk.(Which I hope we don't, Stoll seems like a better fit as 3rd line C then Loktionov.)
Andrei sad.

I completely agree with the lineup though, maybe rotate Clune and Kozun on the 4th to give us some more grit, or even Loki in to give it more of a scoring touch.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Johnny Utah

I don't want any of those bums. I like Parse, Lewis, Richardson, Clifford, Stoll, and Westgarth as the bottom 6....with Fraser and possibly a dude from Manchester in the mix as a spare part.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Zherdev? but I think no one here likes him.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme1995 View Post
Zherdev? but I think no one here likes him.
most importantly DL won't like him.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:33 PM
outofrange

Even if the Drury thing doesn't work out which it probably won't (with him wanting to be on the east coast and all) I think we do need to add another guy to the bottom six to balance things out. Even if some want the rookies to get the spot it's never a bad thing to have some extra guys for when injuries hit. It's a long season.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
most importantly DL won't like him.
This

Old
08-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
i still want Kostopoulos..............
he is a Simmonds with more Hockey skills.
We wouldn't even miss Simmonds..........

well of course i assume Richardson is centering the 3rd line.

Old
08-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Johnny Utah

Simmonds is way better than Kostopolous. First off, TK has won two fights, Ott and Bieska, besides that he is a punching bag. He has never scored more than 8 goals in a season and he is 32 years old making 1.10 million. He is a heart and soul guy but for that kind of money and age, why not give that spot to Clune, Andreoff, Nolan or King.

Simmonds scored 16 goals two seasons ago, 2x more than TK ever scored and Simmonds rarely looses fights...sure he doesn't fight as much either though which was disapointing last year.

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 08-02-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old
08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
i still want Kostopoulos..............
he is a Simmonds with more Hockey skills.
We wouldn't even miss Simmonds..........

well of course i assume Richardson is centering the 3rd line.
I like Kostopoulos too but come on.. Everyone though Simmonds had a relatively bad year this season and even then he still had way more goals and points than Kostopoulos ever had in the NHL.

Old
08-02-2011, 05:16 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
That's obviously not true, but I think I get the gist of what you're saying.

...And I was talking about years down the road, not the immediate future. It's okay to have three good centers, and roll 3 lines that can score. Having Richards doesn't mean that Loktionov needs to convert to wing.

Closed Thread