HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Zandar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I have seen Carey play before. Probably 5-6 games on TV and 3 times in person(granted those were mainly in his sophomore and early junior years so maybe he has developed further). To me, Carey has had a bad tendency to check out of games, play on the perimeter, and not play well defensively in those (notice I said soft and inconsistent at times). When he is into the game and 'motivated'/not wore down, he can play physical and well in both zones (I would say I saw that in maybe 2 games). He has a lot of untapped offensive potential that he never lived up to in college (effort is my guess why) and has always has had good puck skills.

IMO he has the talent to make it in the NHL if he puts it all together. Sadly I don't think he ever will.
ok thanks for the follow-up. Wasn't sure if you were thinking of Condon.

While Carey doesn't have the heart of someone like Landeskog, he has shown better and better as his role grew with BC. For someone who has gone from being a run-and-gun goal scorer to a role-player with BC, he had some areas he needed to work on which more than likely helped develop him to where he would be a better pro...not to mention earning him an "A' his senior year. If he was handed a scoring line role early on, he might have been a bigger scorer but less likely to have success at the pro level. Its been a good evolution for him and as tonight has shown, he has been counted on at both ends of the ice.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Rhaego

Goooooaaalllll!!!!!!!

Old
10-12-2012, 08:51 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

sick shot!

Old
10-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Rhaego

You know how bad the Oilers are?

Our AHL team beat them

#dynastymyass

Old
10-12-2012, 08:59 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post

Our AHL team beat them

#dynastymyass
rotfl

Old
10-12-2012, 09:00 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
Sami Aittokallio, best player in the game by far IMO
Schultz is going to do well, reminds me alot fo Gardiner
Heard was good, Sgarbossa was ok, Barrie and Elliot were pretty good, esp. Barrie
Carey was surprisingly good to me

Old
10-12-2012, 09:01 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post

Our AHL team beat them

#dynastymyass
This furthers my proof that it takes more than just a bunch of star players on your team to win. You have to have a bunch of guys that mix well together. It clear to me that the Monsters played the better team game and thats why they won.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Congo Jack
Get lost Pavarotti!

Aitto was on fire tonight....I'm liking the future

Old
10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Skating Tripods

What's happening, guys? Lurker, rare poster. Figured with the lockout, I'd drop in and give some of my observations from the Monsters games this season. I've got a buddy who works for the team, so I get free tickets usually, probably go to 20-25 games a year.

Few thoughts from tonight...

Sami Aittokallio impressed me. I was shocked to see him get the first call ahead of Pickard, but if he played in camp like he did tonight, he earned it. Very clearly a Finnish goaltender. No unnecessary movements. Calm and poised. Good glove hand. Strong with the pads in tight. I was surprised at how in control he was. I know he's played on big stages internationally, but I was very impressed. Made a dandy of a save in the first period with the left pad in tight on a rebound that was lying just in front of the crease. Didn't look like a lot to most people, but it was a quality stop. No panic whatsoever. Nothing he could do on the 5-on-3 goal and nearly got the paddle there in time to make a phenomenal save.

Thought Stefan Elliott was the best player on the ice for the Monsters. Lot of good decisions, good agility. Very strong reaching with the stick on the rush. He drew some tough assignments against the Paarjarvi-RNH-Eberle line and looked confident and comfortable going up against them.

Gaunce was brutal. Out of position quite a bit, failed to play with enough physicality. Really looked lost when he had the puck. Slow in his decision making on the breakouts. Just looked all out of sorts.

Liked what I saw from Mitch Heard away from the puck. I was pretty surprised to see him take the first PK shift of the game, but he held his own. With the puck, he was pushed around with ease. Definitely needs to strengthen his core and lower body. He's clearly got Chynoweth's trust already though if he's killing penalties in his first game.

Liked the gameplan that the Monsters forwards had, though it wasn't as effective as it could have been. They were playing the chip and chase on OKC's defensemen. Not sure if that was a scouting report just for this team or if it's what they will do all season. That being said, because of the chip and chase and losing races, there was very little puck possession. Forwards got pushed out of the play very easily on the cycle. They used the defensemen a ton in the offensive zone by kicking it out to the points because time and space were limited. Elliott shined in that role as well. He did dangle a little too much at the blue line and will get caught with that a couple of times.

Sgarbossa and Olver were pretty much non-factors. Sgarbossa did hit a crossbar right after the Agozzino goal, but besides that, not a whole lot from him. He did make a nice play on a 2-on-2 rush when a defenseman got caught.

Was a little surprised to see Stollery scratched for Goers and Sullivan. He participated in warmups. Not sure if there's a nagging injury or not.

Unrelated to the Monsters, Eberle's got some slick hands. He was the best of the Barons. RNH and Paarjarvi looked pretty disinterested most of the game. RNH especially. No second gear from him.

Hope to contribute some observations throughout the season for you guys, especially until the Avs drop the puck.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:24 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the info.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
BrickAHL
No More

If I knew there was a link to watch then I would have stayed home tonight. Hopefully there are links for the next Monsters games.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:10 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Dude the attendance was amazing close to 12k I believe.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:07 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Aitto is really exciting. i get the feeling that he will frustrate at times but also be spectacular. probably similar to Varly in that sense.
he and Pickard are the best Avs goalie prospects in quite some time.

Old
10-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
What's happening, guys? Lurker, rare poster. Figured with the lockout, I'd drop in and give some of my observations from the Monsters games this season. I've got a buddy who works for the team, so I get free tickets usually, probably go to 20-25 games a year.

Sami Aittokallio impressed me. I was shocked to see him get the first call ahead of Pickard, but if he played in camp like he did tonight, he earned it. Very clearly a Finnish goaltender. No unnecessary movements. Calm and poised. Good glove hand. Strong with the pads in tight. I was surprised at how in control he was. I know he's played on big stages internationally, but I was very impressed. Made a dandy of a save in the first period with the left pad in tight on a rebound that was lying just in front of the crease. Didn't look like a lot to most people, but it was a quality stop. No panic whatsoever. Nothing he could do on the 5-on-3 goal and nearly got the paddle there in time to make a phenomenal save.

Thought Stefan Elliott was the best player on the ice for the Monsters. Lot of good decisions, good agility. Very strong reaching with the stick on the rush. He drew some tough assignments against the Paarjarvi-RNH-Eberle line and looked confident and comfortable going up against them.

Gaunce was brutal. Out of position quite a bit, failed to play with enough physicality. Really looked lost when he had the puck. Slow in his decision making on the breakouts. Just looked all out of sorts.

Liked what I saw from Mitch Heard away from the puck. I was pretty surprised to see him take the first PK shift of the game, but he held his own. With the puck, he was pushed around with ease. Definitely needs to strengthen his core and lower body. He's clearly got Chynoweth's trust already though if he's killing penalties in his first game.

Liked the gameplan that the Monsters forwards had, though it wasn't as effective as it could have been. They were playing the chip and chase on OKC's defensemen. Not sure if that was a scouting report just for this team or if it's what they will do all season. That being said, because of the chip and chase and losing races, there was very little puck possession. Forwards got pushed out of the play very easily on the cycle. They used the defensemen a ton in the offensive zone by kicking it out to the points because time and space were limited. Elliott shined in that role as well. He did dangle a little too much at the blue line and will get caught with that a couple of times.

Sgarbossa and Olver were pretty much non-factors. Sgarbossa did hit a crossbar right after the Agozzino goal, but besides that, not a whole lot from him. He did make a nice play on a 2-on-2 rush when a defenseman got caught.

Was a little surprised to see Stollery scratched for Goers and Sullivan. He participated in warmups. Not sure if there's a nagging injury or not.

Unrelated to the Monsters, Eberle's got some slick hands. He was the best of the Barons. RNH and Paarjarvi looked pretty disinterested most of the game. RNH especially. No second gear from him.

Hope to contribute some observations throughout the season for you guys, especially until the Avs drop the puck.
Nice, thanks for sharing. Definitely stop by with any reports when you have the time. We don't get enough news on the Monsters, and we're especially interested now with all the Avs prospects filling the team, and no NHL.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:01 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Dude the attendance was amazing close to 12k I believe.
That's awesome. Some NHL teams don't even get 12k attendance

Old
10-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Ceremony
SKYLERWHITEBESTWHITE

vCash: 50
Time to promote... the new LEM coach whose name escapes me?

10-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post

Thanks mate.

Elliott is certainly "my" favorite rookie on our team, and I'd love him to make the big team this season. I'm glad it sounds like he's making a mark.

Shame about Gaunce though. He is also one of my favorites. I'd always hoped his production transitioned to the numbers he got in the OHL. I still think he has production in him. He's a very crafty competitor, and it's very early on, so I reckon he'll rebound.

I also thought Pickard would be the first preference this season, but hey, Aittokallio is certainly grabbing his opportunities. His performance on the international stage was certainly positive.

Lots of good things happening. I really hope some performance by these guys (like Elliott, Barrie, Chouinard, Sgarbossa , Gaunce, Hishon, VDG, Connolly) give Sacco a very bad head-ache on selections.

The best thing I believe could happen for our club is challenge on positions.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Thanks mate.

Shame about Gaunce though. He is also one of my favorites. I'd always hoped his production transitioned to the numbers he got in the OHL. I still think he has production in him. He's a very crafty competitor, and it's very early on, so I reckon he'll rebound.

Lots of good things happening. I really hope some performance by these guys (like Elliott, Barrie, Chouinard, Sgarbossa , Gaunce, Hishon, VDG, Connolly) give Sacco a very bad head-ache on selections.

The best thing I believe could happen for our club is challenge on positions.
it was one game. Gaunce had the weakest D partner and did look like he was trying to do too much. Not unlike EJ at times when he was trying to be everywhere he could. When Gaunce is your first player in on the forecheck then something was up. He was used in every situation and just needs to settle down and play his game.

Sgar looked solid and did what was expected. His first game came against the top AHL goalie last season and a, if not the, top team in the A. He looked on par with most of the Baron forwards and once he adjusts to the A and his linemates, he should be even better. He was shifty and handled the puck well as to be expected. Couple times he should have shot rather than pass which resulted in his linemates generally not doing too much which may have led to him shooting more later in the game. It is one game at a whole new level for him and he did as expected.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Shady Machine

I was at the game (Pens fan living in Cleveland). I had attended a few Monsters games over the last few seasons, but the atmosphere last night was pretty impressive. I agree with most of the analysis above. The Nuge and Paajarvi looked like they thought they didn't have to try. Solid D from the Monsters and really good penalty killing. They were aggressive and it forced Nugent and Eberle to cough up the puck.

I thought Lerg was one of the better forwards last night for the Monsters, he just couldn't find the back of the net. The ice looked really chippy and pucks were bouncing everywhere. Overall, I thought it was a solid team game and they played the right way against the skill of the Barons. Hoping for another win today.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Bryanbryoil

Congrats on the win yesterday guys, I only caught the first half of the game but your team wanted it more than we did and came out with a well deserved win. It'll be interesting to see if the Barons have a fire lit under their ass today, if not we could be looking at a similar result again.

10-13-2012, 11:37 AM
RKB9

I watched most the game last night (when the stream worked) and thought Carey, Scarbossa, Lerg, Elliott, Barrie, Malone and especially Aittokalio looked good. Guance looked really bad, hope it was just a bad game.

Is connollly hurt?

Old
10-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Does anybody have a stream for LEM-Oklahoma?

Old
10-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Freaky Styley

ya they are playing right now.. does anywhere stream AHL games?

Old
10-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Pickard's playing tonight.
1-0 Oklahoma btw.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Stream works for me: http://atdhenet.tv/52560/watch-oklah...-erie-monsters