HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin and Diaz: Are they good enough to make up for the loss of Hamrlik

Old
12-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
People should have been more worried about who was going to replace Wiz's 25 minutes plus a nite and PP prowess.

Well management should have been more worried but instead of spending money on him went with stop gaps like Gill and Campoli.
The Gill, Campoli, and Spacek contracts expire on July 1, 2012. That doesn't concern me but the Emelin contract does.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:45 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And Hammer is injured..but who cares about that, TV said he was scratched!
healthy scratch

hunter benched him because when a journalist asked hammer if he would hit crosby on his return, he said "probably not". hammer doesn't know who dale hunter is apparently

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:47 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Gill, Campoli, and Spacek contracts expire on July 1, 2012. That doesn't concern me but the Emelin contract does.
NHL Numbers show Emelin as an RFA after this year so we still have rights over him. If he were to re-sign for a year I think he would then go UFA since he turns 27 on April 25, 2013. So the big question will be, do we try to re-sign him to a multi-year deal based on one years performance and at what amount. For Emelin it wouldnt make sense to take a multi-year low range amount, so we would probably have to pay him 2.25-2.75M kind of money ie what solid defensive d-men get, but after years in the NHL.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:49 AM
LeMAD

I was pissed off at first but it seems Hamrlik was washed up after all. Good decision Mr. Gauthier.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:45 AM
SnapVirus

Harmlik benefited a lot of JMs system.

The truth is, JMs plan is to be really tight in our zone, offensive players, got to come close to the Ds and help 'em a lot. So surely our Dman looks better in our team than anywhere else (well, the one, who wants to play Martins system).

If Hamrlik was traded back here, I'm sure he would be as good as before. BECAUSE of the effectivity of martin system in D.

Do I want Martin fire? Certainly. But not him alone. With his buddy Pierre Gauthier.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:31 PM
fergiesbeak

Now that the jets are back the habs are my number 2 team.Still care for them and always will hope they do well unless of course it's against the jets. Now after watching the caps play the jets lately i must say hammer is definetly too slow for this league.I think letting him go was a good move.Now if you could just get rid of gomez.

fergiesbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
There is no way they move Emelin. The guy blocks shots is aggressive and Montreal has no one like him on D. He's getting used to the league and getting better every game!

Diaz can be a solid 6 / 7 guy on the blueline with Second PP unit time, That being said they would have to move Weber, can't have both in the lineup.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
TheWhiteIdea

Emelin is a boss. Diaz and Weber can both go

TheWhiteIdea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:17 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteIdea View Post
Diaz should be given at least 50 or so games, just to see what he's made of. Weber is made of crap, he's had enough time in the league to figure out how to play.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Diaz should be given at least 50 or so games, just to see what he's made of. Weber is made of crap, he's had enough time in the league to figure out how to play.
Yeah, because after 50 NHL games you know that 23 year old defensemen can't get any better.

However Diaz has been better lately. He was rough for a while but he's been very good recently, as of right now Weber is easily the first to sit.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:21 PM
habitue*

I would had taken Hamrlik...over Markov, though.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteIdea View Post
Diaz > Weber

Old
12-03-2011, 06:11 PM
MarkovsKnee

Diaz has been really strong on this road trip & is playing big minutes for the Habs, which is surprising but he's playing really well. Emelin is just getting better & better.

Both led the Habs in ES ice time against the Kings.

Diaz played 17:35 & Emelin 17:23. Emelin doesn't play special teams, except for the odd shift on PK whereas Diaz is playing both PP & PK (4:02 against the Kings).

I think both are coming along nicely. I am happy to have these two over Hamerlik. No question. They're both going to get better as they continue to learn about the NHL, however it's also likely that eventually they'll both hit a wall, since the season in Europe is so much easier than an NHL season. It will be nice to get one of Spacek & Campoli back.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:15 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah, because after 50 NHL games you know that 23 year old defensemen can't get any better.

However Diaz has been better lately. He was rough for a while but he's been very good recently, as of right now Weber is easily the first to sit.
Diaz is 25 I think. It's not that 50 games is arbitrary, it's to see how professional they are. Eating habits, partying, adaptability. Those minor nuances which affect your career path in the longer run.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Diaz and Emelin have come along nicely and show some great promise, interspersed with acceptable and expectable rookie miscues. I'd far rather have Hamrlik in the lineup night in and night out, however. Nevertheless, given we don't have him, it will turn out to be a silver lining this season (even if the season isn't a very successful one), that we got a head start on development for Diaz and Emelin. I was afraid one or both of them might not pan out at all, but it's pretty clear now that they'll both make it. It doesn't make them as good as Hamrlik, but it does bode well for the future of our defense... the organizational depth was so bad there, it's a huge bonus to have pulled two wildcards out of the hat like that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Where do you come up with this garbage?

Weber has proven to be an effective NHL d-man with offensive upside, but let's be moronic and give him away so he can be a success elswhere while we only have a mid round pick...priceless!

In most cases guys like Weber get the benefit of being broken in with a veteran partner and getting 15-18 minutes most nights until they have a couple yaers under their belt. Because of the avalanche of injuries on defense(Markov campoli Spacek Gill) he(and the other kids) have been forced into more than they are ready for. At different times they have all had struggles, the Islanders game is a prime example. Yet some brilliant HF Hab fans want to throw them away as not being NHL d-men because of struggles while being put in a bigger spot than they are ready for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Diaz and Emelin have come along nicely and show some great promise, interspersed with acceptable and expectable rookie miscues. I'd far rather have Hamrlik in the lineup night in and night out, however. Nevertheless, given we don't have him, it will turn out to be a silver lining this season (even if the season isn't a very successful one), that we got a head start on development for Diaz and Emelin. I was afraid one or both of them might not pan out at all, but it's pretty clear now that they'll both make it. It doesn't make them as good as Hamrlik, but it does bode well for the future of our defense... the organizational depth was so bad there, it's a huge bonus to have pulled two wildcards out of the hat like that.
It was never the plan for the kids to replace Hamrlik. Gorges was coming back. Markov was to be ready for opening night(before setbacks with swelling/water). We got Campoli as insurance plus had Gill and Spacek as veterans as well as subban in his 2nd year. That means Emelin Weber and Diaz were destined to be #7-8-9 on the depth chart, or 6-7-8 if Markov had a setback. It's as much the Campoli and Spacek(2) injuries that have put those kids in bigger roles.

Long term it wuill benefit the organisation as Weber Diaz and Emelin have gained valuable experience, plus we know St.Denis can be a dependable NHL d-man(possibly #7-8 next year)

Last edited by Habsfan18: 12-03-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: merge
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Are Diaz and Emelin good enough to make up for the loss of Hamrlik? Probably, but they're certainly good enough to make up for the (potential) loss of Weber.

Old
12-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Diaz > Weber
One just had 23 years old, the other will have 26 soon. While right right now it's clear that Diaz is playing better than Weber it wasn't the case 10 games ago. What's happening is something we see all the time with young nhl players : inconsistency. IMO Weber is a clear top 6 guy in the NHL next season and will probably be a top 4 guy soon enough. Diaz is about the same story, he's just older.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Toro

Both Emelin and Diaz are keepers. weber is trade bait. weber is younger and needs more development, and we have enough young D.

I expect weber to be traded when Markov, Spacek and campoli return.

Good job by Goats, I don't share the hate for him. JM is another story, but again Jm isn't the worst coach for this team, just not my choice.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
habtastic

Between Diaz and Spacek, I'm not sure who I'd prefer. Spacek has had good solid games and then many ones where he's just awful. I like the guy, but Diaz has impressed me most with his reliability. Once everyone is back, if Diaz is on the third pairing, we have a great complete D corps. The Campoli factor screws up my top 6 but I have absolutely no read on him. Less than a game with us, but from what I've seen from him with other teams, he's obviously expected to be in the top 6.

edit: forgot to mention - Emelin BETTER stay in the top 6. Move a vet out if you have to.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:44 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You make no sense at all.

First off, no it hasn't been fine.
Second, yes, it's easy to blame the defense, because it's been our weak point.
Third, as much as you want to consider Spacek a spare part, he brings a much needed veteran balance to the D corps, and the record speaks for itself. Surprise surprise, you decide to ignore it and go with the ''he sucks'' argument. Thumbs up is all I can say really.
Fourth, how did you come to the odds that Hammer would be hurt? In 4years with us, he missed 16games. That's less than what Gill has missed in 2years (not counting this year).
Kriss: Our D is not our weak point. Yes we have to backcheck more carefully because of their inexperience, and yes, or D is not scoring, but dude, our forwards as a group have been terrible this year, really ****ing terrible, more precisely: Our centers have been terrible. You're worried about the wrong things I think.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I only liked Hammer in one season when he would hit. But he brought more to the dance than Diaz and Emelin do now. That saud, I figure Emelin could have a good in a futur in a Volchencov-type role.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
@the bolded...it is interesting how little credit Gauthier and his team gets for that signing. Someone in the org had to have faith in Diaz's ability, good scouting on their part.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:29 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
healthy scratch

hunter benched him because when a journalist asked hammer if he would hit crosby on his return, he said "probably not". hammer doesn't know who dale hunter is apparently
Possibly true.............OR he's actually injured after blocking a shot against St. Louis and is listed day to day. Hunter confirmed the day to day with an LBI and negated the "healthy scratch". Not that the media would ever read more into something then there really is and then the lemmings would follow. Darkest Day in Caps' History.

People love picking on the guy whose first language isn't English. And show me the player who has really popped Crosby since he got back. No Capital did for sure that night. Like Ovechkin said you hit him now and you'll be in the box.

Hamrlik knew JM's system and would have been an asset. I have a hunch he'll adapt more favorably to Hunter's system and may even pick up the hitting again. Boudreau was in between systems and almost every player from goaltenders on out were struggling.

Never liked the idea of Gauthier letting him go especially if Markov was this big of a question mark.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Possibly true.............OR he's actually injured after blocking a shot against St. Louis and is listed day to day. Hunter confirmed the day to day with an LBI and negated the "healthy scratch". Not that the media would ever read more into something then there really is and then the lemmings would follow. Darkest Day in Caps' History.

People love picking on the guy whose first language isn't English. And show me the player who has really popped Crosby since he got back. No Capital did for sure that night. Like Ovechkin said you hit him now and you'll be in the box.

Hamrlik knew JM's system and would have been an asset. I have a hunch he'll adapt more favorably to Hunter's system and may even pick up the hitting again. Boudreau was in between systems and almost every player from goaltenders on out were struggling.

Never liked the idea of Gauthier letting him go especially if Markov was this big of a question mark.

Gauthier didn't just "let him go". He was made a solid 1 year offer and decided to hit the UFA market looking for 2 years. Gauthier turned around and got a good deal on Campoli who has more left in the tank. You can't blame Gauthier for the fact that Campoli got hurt in the 1st game of the year, a freak injury to boot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote