HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Protector?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2011, 09:31 PM
  #651
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
Montreal could pick up any big protector would be fine with me. If he was given as much as ice time as Lars Eller they would be bound to improve their defense.
Eller improved with ice time so can anybody else. Certainly there is a difference in skill level between Eller and a would be protector but Martin and Gauthier have shown they are are more worried about showcasing what they got in the Halak trade then protecting their players.
Nice trash on Eller... completely untrue and unnecessary in a thread thats supposed to be about enforcers. I thought most people had gotten over the Halak trade.... move on, Eller is gonna be ok.

As for the initial topic, I hate the thought of taking up a roster spot only to fight. The only team that it really effects us playing is Boston, and really, we're better off keeping the sideshows to a minimum. They feed off them and actually need them to be successful. Let em be goons, just keep your head up and make em pay on the PP

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:37 PM
  #652
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yQtn...yer_detailpage


That video is Marchand punching Sedin.

You think that anyone in the League will respect Sedin now? Yeah, he took it and then turned to the referee to ask for Marchand to stop. The ref ended up giving Sedin a penalty as well.

Even the referees did not respect Sedin.
Sorry, but this was just retarded, a black eye for the league. In the league I run, if officials did nothing while seeing what Marchand was doing to Sedin, those officials would have been fired.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
  #653
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yQtn...yer_detailpage


That video is Marchand punching Sedin.

You think that anyone in the League will respect Sedin now? Yeah, he took it and then turned to the referee to ask for Marchand to stop. The ref ended up giving Sedin a penalty as well.

Even the referees did not respect Sedin.

And that is what management has cultivated here in Montreal. A team that just takes it, is not respected by other teams and definitely not respected by the referees as shown by us leading the League in minor penalties called against us.

If you like being the most passive team in the League, just watch the Marchand/Sedin video and get ready to see that happen a lot next year in Montreal.

But the Sedins were not intimidated at all by the rough stuff they encountered against the Bruins. They scored a lot of goals for the Canucks in that series, eh?

So what your saying is that the referees personal opinions matter in the outcome of games???

Sorry but if that's the case then we're no better than the WWE. Referees are supposed to impartially officiate a game ensuring a SAFE and even playing field for both teams.

Most of our minor penalties are lazy ones. Stick infractions that are called under the new rules and could be avoided by actually skating.

I don't think we're a passive team. In fact we've got an aggressive team that goes to the net hard. Do I want to get in a street fight with Boston... no, but I'm not afraid to play hockey against them. Fighting is an aspect of hockey, but not the most important bit. IF and its a big IF, refs can actually call the rule book it shouldn't matter.

I have ZERO respect for any of the referees from the playoffs. They allowed it to become a circus. They were either corrupt or incompetent. No other explanation. I'm sure Sedin will be just fine without the respect of refs such as these or fans like yourself.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:54 PM
  #654
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Sorry, but this was just retarded, a black eye for the league. In the league I run, if officials did nothing while seeing what Marchand was doing to Sedin, those officials would have been fired.
I agree with you 100%. The problem with the NHL is that the refereeing has been extremely random. One game its a penalty. Another game its not.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:01 AM
  #655
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 101,681
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Uh, yes. Definitely. What would Chicago want in return?
Probably a 7th or futures

Hawks roster as of now is getting full

?-Toews-Kane
Brunette-Sharp-Hossa
Bickell-Bolland-Frolik (Expected to re-sign)
Carcillo-Mayers-?
?

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Leddy
?-Montador (? Should be Campoli if his arbitration isnt horrendous)
O'Donnell

? to be filled by competition at camp

Olesz
Stalberg
Smith
Kruger
Morin
Scott

Morin and Kruger likely end up back in AHL (Although both could win those ?)

So to me it is likely Scott is odd man out (IMO)

Olesz wont be buried for at least a year (We still have Huet) so he likely gets his chance

Smith was so good in playoffs I dont see him not being on Hawks

Stalberg signed 2 yr / 1 way deal so I assume he likely is on roster

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:05 AM
  #656
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Any interest in Scott? No rumors he is available or anything just with Carcillo and Mayers who can throw em he sorta loses his reason for being on Hawks

Habs fans should definitely say NO. He is absolutely useless besides fighting.

Just sayin'

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:37 AM
  #657
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,852
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Maybe I'm crazy, but I never saw this team "bullied". They were outmuscled against some physical teams and that's definitely a problem, and along with every other team in the NHL were the victim of cheapshots (Ask Sidney Crosby how much Carcillo, Rupp and Matt Cooke helped him), but the Habs fought big, physical teams like Boston until the end; the only game where we "backed down" against the Bruins was when Pacioretty was knocked out and the game was already won.
i've asked for examples of the habs getting beaten, and insulted and whatever the **** southern hab says happens on a constant basis.

im still waiting for it.

besides the beantdown in beantown (and that was 3 goons beating on pyatt, spaceman and hammer, ohnoes, let's destroy the team so next time we can beat them), it never happens, ****, i've even seen cammy fight krejci, habs players being in the thickest of post-whistle scrums, pacioretty shoving chara, price getting involved too. desharnais getting absolutely flattened by hartnell, he gets right back up and jumps into the fray right after.

im sorry but i've never seen the habs 'back down'. well sorry, once, after patches was almost killed and that's understandable. what i HAVE seen is the habs being outmuscled along the boards or pushed off the puck too much sometimes by the likes of flyers and bruins. these players, are very ****ing proud and when someone shoves them, i've always seen them shove back.

that means we need to get bigger in the top 6 (which is slowly being addressed), not goons in the bottom 6 and that becomes an entire different thread. one not named "protector".

the idea that we get punched and say: "may i have another" is ********. it may be a case of two people seeing the game in two different ways but, think im wrong, give me examples.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:48 AM
  #658
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i've asked for examples of the habs getting beaten, and insulted and whatever the **** southern hab says happens on a constant basis.

im still waiting for it.
But he already proved how soft the Habs are by posting a video of Brad Marchand punching Daniel Sedin

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:57 AM
  #659
habs24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i've asked for examples of the habs getting beaten, and insulted and whatever the **** southern hab says happens on a constant basis.

im still waiting for it.

besides the beantdown in beantown (and that was 3 goons beating on pyatt, spaceman and hammer, ohnoes, let's destroy the team so next time we can beat them), it never happens, ****, i've even seen cammy fight krejci, habs players being in the thickest of post-whistle scrums, pacioretty shoving chara, price getting involved too. desharnais getting absolutely flattened by hartnell, he gets right back up and jumps into the fray right after.

im sorry but i've never seen the habs 'back down'. well sorry, once, after patches was almost killed and that's understandable. what i HAVE seen is the habs being outmuscled along the boards or pushed off the puck too much sometimes by the likes of flyers and bruins. these players, are very ****ing proud and when someone shoves them, i've always seen them shove back.

that means we need to get bigger in the top 6 (which is slowly being addressed), not goons in the bottom 6 and that becomes an entire different thread. one not named "protector".

the idea that we get punched and say: "may i have another" is ********. it may be a case of two people seeing the game in two different ways but, think im wrong, give me examples.
Off the top of my head I remember Price getting cross checked several times by Lucic without a response. I also remember Price getting decked by Cam Janssen. He had to stand up for himself. How about Colton Orr picking on PK? Those were jsut a few off the top of my head. I'm sure others will add to the list.

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:01 AM
  #660
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
With Emelin, Blunden and White added I think Habs are become tougher team. All of these guys are willing to drop gloves like Moen, and play some hockey, so I dont see a need for designated fighter.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:05 AM
  #661
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
"Fighters" are a thing of the past.. you want toughness you add guys like Neil who can hit AND play hockey.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:47 AM
  #662
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
"Fighters" are a thing of the past.. you want toughness you add guys like Neil who can hit AND play hockey.

Winchester and Boulton can play hockey!

EveryDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:03 AM
  #663
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
"Fighters" are a thing of the past.. you want toughness you add guys like Neil who can hit AND play hockey.
Thing of the past??? Then what do you call every team in our division having one ?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:00 AM
  #664
Chris Nilan
Registered User
 
Chris Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Thing of the past??? Then what do you call every team in our division having one ?
Yeah, and name me one team with a serious goon that hasn't had a player seriously injured by a cheap shot?

The vaunted/exalted Bruins lead the league in dirty and thugs and they still managed to have a) Bergeron, b) Savard and c) Horton put out of action in plays that the alleged deterrence factor should have obviated.

Tell me again how Chara, Lucic and Thornton protected anybody?

They got hit. Protecting means keeping them from harm. What you and all the other Don Cherry wannabes are talking about is retribution. That's not protection. The best retribution is still scoring and winning, last time I checked.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:37 AM
  #665
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,652
vCash: 500
" Chris Nilan", I talked about the role of a protector atleast 5 times in this thread alone, try to keep up or quote someone else who's on your level of goon knowledge.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:12 PM
  #666
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
" Chris Nilan", I talked about the role of a protector atleast 5 times in this thread alone, try to keep up or quote someone else who's on your level of goon knowledge.
You can insult him all you want, fact remains that he's right. Even guys like Southern Habs admitted that getting players hit that sometimes lead to injury is inevitable. Having a protector wouldn't prevent anything from happening. There isn't one player that will back off from hitting an opponent because a Thornton or Chara is on the bench.

You might think it will somehow help the smaller players feel better because they'll have someone they can count on to back them if ever something happens. But it wouldn't prevent a thing, and it could also serve as a distraction just like it was with Laraque, who simply wasn't good enough. The man fought 9x in 25 games I believe, and still, some felt he didn't fight enough.
Scrums after the whistle will always happen. They even happen versus the Bruins when Chara or Thornton are on the ice. And it's not true that we're always responding, sometimes we initiate it. We don't have players that get intimidated.

Having an enforcer wouldn't change much.


Last edited by Kriss E: 07-15-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:08 PM
  #667
Aurel Joliat
Registered User
 
Aurel Joliat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
Yeah, and name me one team with a serious goon that hasn't had a player seriously injured by a cheap shot?
Come on ! It's not because you loop your belt in car that nothing will happen to you. Same thing here. It's not because you have a fighter that nobody on your team will receive a cheapshot. But it helps ! And it helps your skill players to be in security !

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
  #668
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Come on ! It's not because you loop your belt in car that nothing will happen to you. Same thing here. It's not because you have a fighter that nobody on your team will receive a cheapshot. But it helps ! And it helps your skill players to be in security !
What evidence is there that it helps? Because there's plenty of evidence that it doesn't. In fact, I'd argue that it might even increase the incidence of injury.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:05 PM
  #669
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Come on ! It's not because you loop your belt in car that nothing will happen to you. Same thing here. It's not because you have a fighter that nobody on your team will receive a cheapshot. But it helps ! And it helps your skill players to be in security !
If your using the example above, and if i understand correctly, then the car accident = Hockey cheap-shot. A seat-belt can save your life when the accident happens (depending on the accident). If the seat belt = fighter, then please explain me how a fighter is supposed to save a player from *some* cheap shots?

The same amount of accidents will happen, no matter if your wearing a seat belt or not. The difference is that the seat belt can actually make a difference in some accidents. So no, your example is terrible, and so is you line of thinking, thus leading to you not really properly understanding the correlation between cheap shots and fighters. (hint: there isn't one anymore)

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:40 PM
  #670
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
What evidence is there that it helps? Because there's plenty of evidence that it doesn't. In fact, I'd argue that it might even increase the incidence of injury.
Because we have no proof other then 90% of GM's that want a goon. How exactly can you proove that you wouldn't mess with a 6'6 guy's younger brother if you don't mess with him?

it's the same thing, you can't stop guys fom playing hockey, but you can stop players from disrespecting your team with insults or useless scraps where we always come out 2nd. Like I said, teams need momentum changes during the game and fights more then often do te job, this if you do not understand, well, so be it, it's not my problem.

Even PLEKANEC HIMSELF ASKED FOR A PROTECTOR. Shouldn't that alone be an indication that they're not useless? Niewindyk, an ex NHL superstar, signed Godard, etc. They have their use, it's just not visible to the fans that watch hockey as 100% technical gameplan sport. Thankfully, it is not.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:43 PM
  #671
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
How exactly can you proove that you wouldn't mess with a 6'6 guy's younger brother if you don't mess with him?
I think you answered your own question there. So rather than repeat the same old, same old: provide the evidence.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:47 PM
  #672
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I think you answered your own question there. So rather than repeat the same old, same old: provide the evidence.
Oh good god! Really? How Bout that no team gets stepped on like us and that 26 NHL teams have a fighter? My example was as childish and simple as it gets.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:53 PM
  #673
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
How Bout that no team gets stepped on like us
Well, I suppose that's the thread then. We all ought to be convinced.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:05 PM
  #674
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
I gotta say, I side with MaxPac on this one. Even the players want one. Pleks has stated so, but people on a msg board forum must know more than those who have actually been involved in hockey for years and years. I'm not a huge Don Cherry fan either BTW, but there's no question he knows this game inside in out. He's biased, racist and many other things, but he knows hockey.

No one is superman and can prevent isolated accidents and freakish events like Chara's hit on Patches, but what we can do is stand up for one another and unite together as a team. That's not really the protection he's talking about imo. It's preventing abnormal wear and tear that our best players have to put up with, because we have no one who will stand up to anyone. Christ, I remember the Blues game I think it was, someone ran Price and no one stepped up, so he went after the guy himself, this is unacceptable.

The more glaring need to me though is size in our top 6, remains to be seen if Cole and Pacioretty can make up for the 4 dwarfs.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
  #675
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Well, I suppose that's the thread then. We all ought to be convinced.
Do you always take bits and pieces of posts to make up an argument? Whatever dude. Oh, and you can add the great Lamoriello to the list that think you're wrong, Devils just signed Boulton. But you'll probably cut that part out too...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.