HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Boyes has to stay!

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2011, 09:20 AM
OcAirlines

vCash: 500
Brad Boyes has to stay!

It really bothers me that so many people here want to get rid of Brad Boyes. Why has everyone given up on him so fast? He was bad towards the end of the season, no doubt about that, but had to play a position he obviously wasn't comfortable at. He had a great start for us as a winger and i don't see why he shouldn't be able to show those performances again, if we keep him on the wing.

Trading him for a pick wouldn't make any sense, it would just give us capspace we don't need. Just look at the recent Free Agent-signings around the league, Boyes is better than pretty much anyone in his price range. We are willing to invest a lot of many to take a gamble on Leino but want to get rid of Boyes? I don't see how this helps the team.

If Boyes is part of a trade that gives us a better player or an equally skilled Center, I have no problems with sending him to another team. But right now, if you want to ice the best possible line-up this season, Brad Boyes has to stay!

Discuss

Old
07-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

The only reason Boyes has to stay is because his 4M is coming off the books next offseason and is earmarked to be Tyler Myer's raise. If they trade Boyes and use that salary room this year for a longer-term player, that negates that.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:30 AM
11Owen
Thanks, Feaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
The only reason Boyes has to stay is because his 4M is coming off the books next offseason and is earmarked to be Tyler Myer's raise. If they trade Boyes and use that salary room this year for a longer-term player, that negates that.
That's a good point. I'm also not ready to give up on Boyes. If he's put in the right situation, he can still be a dangerous player from time to time. I'll be hoping he gets 20 goals.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:46 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
That's a good point. I'm also not ready to give up on Boyes. If he's put in the right situation, he can still be a dangerous player from time to time. I'll be hoping he gets 20 goals.
He's got a lot to prove after his pitiful playoff performance. Hopefully he bounces back strong next season.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Moskau

I feel like he's redundant on the current roster. I'm not sure why so many people want to roll 3 scoring lines.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:16 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Unfortunately our center depth is so pitiful that he needs to be here so we have someone that can fill in in a pinch. We have no one on the farm that can be called up so if one of our centers goes down, Hecht and Boyes being around is critical. I can see both of them getting a lot of time a center next year, as bad as it sounds.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Reddawg

I really like Boyes, and I think he'll do just fine for us in a steady role with decent linemates. I think the struggles last year were with Lindy trying to use him in the middle where he's clearly better on the wing.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Boyes go something like 27-33-60 on the Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes line. They'll get a lot of favorable matchups.

He had 55 points last year spread over two much worse teams than this one.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:34 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Boyes go something like 27-33-60 on the Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes line. They'll get a lot of favorable matchups.

I wouldn't be surprised either. He's a winger. He sucked as soon as he moved in the middle. He has good awareness of where the open spots will be offensively and gets there. He's just not a centerman.

Old
07-03-2011, 07:23 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post

That line has me very excited for the upcoming season. Could be a nightmare for teams to play against.

Old
07-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I agree! I would really like to keep Boyes and see what he can do for a full year at wing.

Old
07-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

We want to get rid of Boyes because we have 3 scoring line right wingers when we only need two, and Stafford and Pominville are better than Boyes, and we have them signed at a longer term. The same thing happened to Boyes in St. Louis, which is why his play declined so much there. They had too many right wingers so he was pushed down to a checking line, where he's pretty much useless.

He's not gonna get close to 60 points playing on the third line unless Lindy goes back to running a pure offensive strategy, which Lindy probably won't do because teams like that don't make it very far in today's NHL.

Old
07-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The guy who seems to want three scoring lines is Ruff.

07-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I know that's what he did last year, but that was after Roy got hurt, we were one of the worst teams in the standings, and things were getting desperate. Lindy needs to change things to give us one last hope of the playoffs. It worked for us in the regular season, but I still think Lindy will want to go back to the style he used in 2009/10 when we won the Northeast Division.

Old
07-03-2011, 08:28 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
And the last time I checked, scoring more goals than your opponent wins games.

Old
07-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I know that's what he did last year, but that was after Roy got hurt, we were one of the worst teams in the standings, and things were getting desperate. Lindy needs to change things to give us one last hope of the playoffs. It worked for us in the regular season, but I still think Lindy will want to go back to the style he used in 2009/10 when we won the Northeast Division.
I don't think he's going to change. They're closer to the '05-'07 lineups, especially with the amount of push their are going to get from the blueline.

Old
07-03-2011, 08:37 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Sure, but if we do roll with the Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes line, that isn't really a checking line. It's not really a defensive line.

It's a cycling line. A puck-possession line. A line that's designed to get a lot of zone time and take advantage of some matchups, but that can play D when it has to.

Frankly, we don't really have a true checking line (as we don't have a checking 3C - a real one, anyway. Nor do we have a great defensive wing besides Hecht, who probably has to play C).

We are a team that can roll 3 lines and score a lot of goals, with a stacked defense and a banger 4th line. Similar to the Flyers of the past few seasons, only we have elite goaltending and less talent up front.

This team could win 50 games as it is. I don't envision Lindy screwing with that.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:31 PM
BloFan4Life

Would much rather move Hecht. Boyes is someone who can put up 60 points and is only getting .5 more than Hecht. I think a Gerbe-Adam-Boyes line could be fantastic.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:
I tend to agree with this sentiment. Boyes is a good player on certain teams and he has become undervalued around here, but I would prefer a Hartnell or someone who may not have the potential to score quite as much but could play a physical and responsible game on that third line. But hey, it's just nit picking at this point.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:02 AM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I feel like he's redundant on the current roster. I'm not sure why so many people want to roll 3 scoring lines.
I just think it makes us more dangerous, especially since we're loaded with defensemen who excel in the transition game (Myers, Erhoff, Leopold, Sekera, Gragniani).
These forwards really remind me of the groups that made it to the eastern finals. The only thing they're missing is a third line center like Roy was, one on the cusp of being a top-6 forward.

Quote:
We have no one on the farm that can be called up so if one of our centers goes down
Well, we do have Adam. I know he's not quite there, but he showed improvement throughout the season, and who knows, maybe he can step his game up and become a really good third line center.

IMO Leino will give us a similar game to what Drury provided, 20-30 goals 60-70 points (he'll be playing first line minutes as opposed to third line minutes he had in Philadelphia). And he will allow Roy to do so much more if he's on the second line and can focus on the power-play and even strength.

So really, I do have hope for this teams center depth. especially with Catenacci (sp?) in the pipeline and 3 picks in the top-60 next season our future looks bright.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

His skill and versatility make him a valuable asset. He might have to settle into a 3rd line role, but who knows.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:50 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Because the goal of the game is to score more goals than the other team.

Why would you want to field a less talented team? Do you think teams like having 3rd and 4th lines that can't score?

If the sabres had:

Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Richards

as their four centers, would you be against having Thornton and Richards on the team because that meant they created two more scoring lines? Would you replace them with Gaustad and McCormick to create banger and energy lines? Of course not, you'd field the most talented team possible.

The only reason "energy" and "4th" lines exist is because the level of offensive talent is behind the defensive play in the NHL.

I'd much rather have 4 lines that can score, rather than 2. Scoring lines don't have to be worse at defense and less physical than players that are less talented. Quite the opposite, the best defensive players tend to more talented players, which is why Roy and Connolly were stalwarts on the PK and guys like McCormick and Mancari were not.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:55 AM
nEaLB4ZoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post

Why would you want to field a less talented team? Do you think teams like having 3rd and 4th lines that can't score?

If the sabres had:

Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Richards

as their four centers, would you be against having Thornton and Richards on the team because that meant they created two more scoring lines? Would you replace them with Gaustad and McCormick to create banger and energy lines? Of course not, you'd field the most talented team possible.

The only reason "energy" and "4th" lines exist is because the level of offensive talent is behind the defensive play in the NHL.

I'd much rather have 4 lines that can score, rather than 2. Scoring lines don't have to be worse at defense and less physical than players that are less talented. Quite the opposite, the best defensive players tend to more talented players, which is why Roy and Connolly were stalwarts on the PK and guys like McCormick and Mancari were not.
Well said.

Old
07-04-2011, 04:33 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post

If the sabres had:

Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Richards

Great point. I love Kaleta, and McCormick, but I'd dump them both for Ovechkin and Crosby. The way the league is constructed these days, what with the instigator rule, enforcers aren't really needed. Sure energy lines will help you every now and then, but in the end, i'd rather have 4 lines of pure scoring power.

Old
07-04-2011, 04:44 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
I wouldn't be surprised either. He's a winger. He sucked as soon as he moved in the middle. He has good awareness of where the open spots will be offensively and gets there. He's just not a centerman.
Agreed. He was solid until he went to centre.

Closed Thread