HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Franson and C Matthew Lombardi for D Brett Lebda and F Robert Slaney

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2011, 01:27 PM
HelloMyNameIsHi

vCash: 500
You guys seem to be forgetting that with offersheets we will give up a bounty of draft picks. It isn't smart for the future. Sure we want to win now but will 1 stamkos help? Sure but I don't think it will help us win the cup.

Offer sheets for what stamkos will be expecting isn't smart.

As for the trade, I hate it. But we have all been fans of this team long enough to know that poile is smart and wouldn't dare make this move unless something came up, which I suppose it did. Be patient, I have faith this year .

As for sk getting 4.5... Where the heck are you guys getting these numbers? No chance in hell he is worth that much... Maybe 4.5 over 2/3 years total but no way Jose 4.5 for a single year

Old
07-03-2011, 01:28 PM
KillerKampfer*

PS- I hope other ST holders have called/emailed their reps about this. Awful move the team deserves to hear it from the fans. Depressing.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
This offseason in a nutshell.

Since we'll lose the lottery,

With the 2nd pick in the 2012 NHL draft the Nashville Predators (if they don't relocate) take ___________
Let's start looking at the best defender/goalie who'll be available.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:35 PM
predfan24

So far this offseason:

Out:

Sully
Dumont
GOC
SOB
Franson

IN:

Lebda

All the RFA's could be UFA's.

Last edited by predfan24: 07-03-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Can't get video to work Oh well
Old
07-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Let's start looking at the best defender/goalie who'll be available.
Too bad the best fowards at #2 are all Russians plenty of D-men to take

Old
07-03-2011, 01:36 PM
NPHC

Wow. i got a text about this trade, was excited that we got rid of 4.5 million dollars of dead weight at a minimal cost, and come here to find that apparently, this is an armageddon of sorts.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($4.500m)
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Cal O'Reilly ($1.750m) / Colin Wilson ($1.725m)
Nick Spaling ($0.975m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.250m) / Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m) / Matt Halischuk ($1.250m)

DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Ryan Suter ($3.500m)
Kevin Klein ($1.350m) / Jonathon Blum ($0.941m)
Roman Josi ($1.000m) / Brett Lebda ($1.450m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.350m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($3.400m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,295,833; BONUSES: $1,450,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $12,004,167
I really don't think Weber will go quite as high as $7.5...and I think Poile wouldn't offer SK74 $4.5. So far, very liberal on the numbers.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPHC View Post
Wow. i got a text about this trade, was excited that we got rid of 4.5 million dollars of dead weight at a minimal cost, and come here to find that apparently, this is an armageddon of sorts.
This is what we just Traded Cody Franson for

Old
07-03-2011, 01:49 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

I know Lombardi needed to be dumped to re-up other contracts but at the cost of Franson? Arg. I watch Leaf games aswell because I live in toronto, and Lebda is worse defensively than Franson without any of the offense. How did the Poile not squeeze a pick out of the leafs somehow.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:54 PM
thomas magnum

I don't see how Poile couldn't be making a move here. Shedding so much salary with the buy outs and the UFA's that are leaving. Now with this trade I would have to assume he is planning on spending some serious cash and had to make this move first.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:59 PM
OpenWheel

If we want to dump salary, a decent defensemen plus the salary dump is going to bring a worse defender back. So the value seems in the ballpark.

I'm not jazzed or distressed by the move. I wondered where Franson was going to fit in long term anyway. Although he would have helped out this season.

Some said we needed a veteran defender. Well, we got one.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:59 PM
hatedandproud

Gee, I wish one of you awesome wanna-be GMs were in charge of this team, the NHL needs more hysterical women in charge of teams.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I know Lombardi needed to be dumped to re-up other contracts but at the cost of Franson? Arg. I watch Leaf games aswell because I live in toronto, and Lebda is worse defensively than Franson without any of the offense. How did the Poile not squeeze a pick out of the leafs somehow.
They get a fourth rounder from us as well if Lombardi doesn't play 60 games. We get a fourth if he does.

This is a royal screwing all around. We save 2.8 million bucks this year at the cost of Franson. Lebda is making 1.5 million dollars.

07-03-2011, 02:02 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
So far this offseason:

Out:

Sully
Dumont
GOC
SOB
Franson

IN:

Lebda
Really? By my calculations here is the total:

Out:
SOB
Franson
(you can't count Sully, Lombardi, JP, and Goc as they were HURT for over half the year)

IN:
Lebda
Josi/Ellis

Then you can add in our additions from last year that have great upside: Fisher and Blum.

Then you add in O'Reilly and Boullion being healthy again.

To me, we are ALREADY better than the team that we started with last year. And we are ONE forward signing better than the team that we iced in the play-offs. Dunno where you guys are getting that we aren't. Plus, we still have salary space to sign a few pieces.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:04 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
They get a fourth rounder from us as well if Lombardi doesn't play 60 games. We get a fourth if he does.

This is a royal screwing all around. We save 2.8 million bucks this year at the cost of Franson. Lebda is making 1.5 million dollars.
So you want one of Josi, Ellis, and Laakso to be our #7 dman? Lebda is perfect for that role...

Stop saying we saved 2.8M. We had to get a guy to be our #7 dman anyways. So we saved 3.5M because we got rid of a guy that was NEVER going to play for us again. Plus, moving Franson made room for Ellis/Josi/Laakso. To me, we used a trading chip to rid the 3.5M of salary (Lombardi). That's all this trade was...

Old
07-03-2011, 02:15 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Really? By my calculations here is the total:

Out:
SOB
Franson
(you can't count Sully, Lombardi, JP, and Goc as they were HURT for over half the year)

IN:
Lebda
Josi/Ellis

Then you can add in our additions from last year that have great upside: Fisher and Blum.

Then you add in O'Reilly and Boullion being healthy again.

To me, we are ALREADY better than the team that we started with last year. And we are ONE forward signing better than the team that we iced in the play-offs. Dunno where you guys are getting that we aren't. Plus, we still have salary space to sign a few pieces.
You can twist the words however you want the bottom line is we have lost those players and gained Lebda. Lebda should not even be a 7th defenseman. He is a god awful defenseman who shouldn't be making more than league min. Factor in all the RFA's could be UFA's and this offseason has been terrible so far IMO. Completely ruined the momentum we ended the season with.

We haven't seen the end game yet but Poile would have to make several moves he never makes in order to salvage this offseason at this point. If the end game is just us re-signing our own players and bringing in a "OK" player like AK47 than I will be extremely dissatisfied.

I'm usually cool headed about the moves or lack thereof during the offseason but I don't understand what the hell Poile is doing.

I have my opinion and this has been a disaster thus far.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
So you want one of Josi, Ellis, and Laakso to be our #7 dman? Lebda is perfect for that role...

Stop saying we saved 2.8M. We had to get a guy to be our #7 dman anyways. So we saved 3.5M because we got rid of a guy that was NEVER going to play for us again. Plus, moving Franson made room for Ellis/Josi/Laakso. To me, we used a trading chip to rid the 3.5M of salary (Lombardi). That's all this trade was...
The difference between Franson and Lebda is approximately 600k. We saved 2.8-2.9 million dollars by axing Lombardi in this deal as we took on an additional 600k in salary. The seventh defenseman role is going to be the same irregardless of moving Franson. There is nothing wrong with this calculation. Further, there is no way we should be paying 1.5 million for a defenseman that isn't getting 15 or minutes a night for us, much less to be a 7th d-man.

With that said, your post is otherwise merely pointing out the obvious. Of course this was a salary dump. The problem is not in shedding ourselves of a burdensome contract, it is in the hypothetical situation that we actually use the salary room to acquire the necessary offense for this team. I don't see it. We never do. I doubt it happens now. If I am wrong, good for Poile to finally go out and get someone that can score, but if I am correct, then we merely wasted our most tradeable asset for flexibility that results in little improvement for this team.

I'm going to agree that Franson was essentially a place holder for our better defensive prospects, but this does not mean we can so carelessly waste him as an asset. Instead of moving him to acquire flexibility, I think it would have been wise to actually use him to acquire the forward we want to begin with. I hope Poile isn't done. Otherwise, there is no silver lining here, except for cash saved.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Risotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgbill View Post
As for Lebda, he struggled mightily in Toronto, but was a serviceable bottom pairing guy on a stronger Detroit squad in years prior. His mistakes were largely mental, imo. I imagine Lebda returns to form in a place like Nashville, where his lace color is not dissected daily on talk radio. His upside is as a second PP guy who can bring the puck up ice and plays decent positionally. The brain cramp mistakes (that didn't exist in Detroit) will likely disappear now that he's left Toronto. There is reason to expect better than he showed last year.
erm, no. brain cramps were frequent in detroit, and Detroit fans couldn't wait to get rid of Lebda. they were all laughing when Burke signed him for that money. he was awful on Detroit as well.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:36 PM
CloakroomCrusader

**** apparently I should be in my basement with the sky falling like it seems to be on here...

Old
07-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
It was late in the evening, as befit the nature of the operation. The project's ultimate result had been constructed secretly, carefully, using the highest-quality Worthington Steel and using the available brain of Aaron Portzline.

A young man in goaltender pads and an Admirals uniform was waiting in the front office, ostensibly to discuss his upcoming free agency. He checked his watch, looked left, then right, then quickly moved to the rear door and undid the locks, opening the door partway to reveal reveal two men in union blue. Plus one more figure.

"One-way contract?" asked Dekanich.

"One-way contract," Umberger reassured him. Nash just nodded.

Dekanich nodded as well, then opened the door the rest of the way. "Second floor, third door from the right."

"Good man," Nash said.

The two Blue Jackets proceeded into the Nashville front office, moving as quickly and quietly as they dared. Moving to the designated door, Umberger knocked quietly.

"Who is it?" came from within.

"It's Alex," Umberger said, in his best fake Russian accent.

There came a scrambling sound, and then the door opened to reveal David Poile, who immediately looked very puzzled to see the two Blue Jackets present. His puzzlement quickly turned to alarm when Umberger pushed his way inside and stuffed his glove into Poile's face.

"Not a sound, David. Not a sound. The Scotts would like to spend some time with you. Offer some advice and such. And don't you worry, the PoileBot 3000 will take care of your duties while you're away."

Poile's eyes went wide as he saw the last figure - a robotic David Poile substitute. It clacked, blinked its mechanical eyelids, and then spoke with horror...

"BRETT LEBDA WOULD BE A GOOD FOURTH DEFENSEMAN."

Nobody could hear Poile's scream of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" as the Ricks dragged him away.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:42 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Im more upset that we arent signing Shane Obrien than the fact that we dumped Franson for an ahler.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:42 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The problem is not in shedding ourselves of a burdensome contract, it is in the hypothetical situation that we actually use the salary room to acquire the necessary offense for this team. I don't see it. We never do. I doubt it happens now. If I am wrong, good for Poile to finally go out and get someone that can score, but if I am correct, then we merely wasted our most tradeable asset for flexibility that results in little improvement for this team.

I'm going to agree that Franson was essentially a place holder for our better defensive prospects, but this does not mean we can so carelessly waste him as an asset. Instead of moving him to acquire flexibility, I think it would have been wise to actually use him to acquire the forward we want to begin with. I hope Poile isn't done. Otherwise, there is no silver lining here, except for cash saved.

Well said.

IF we actually use the cash savings to improve the team (Not just for giving Shea Weber or Halischuk more money), then this is a gain for us.

If it goes into some black hole of funding or all we do is just bump our own players than it does us no good.

Again, staying the same isn't an option. We're not good enough to challenge for the cup, but too good to ever land a real difference maker that could put us over the top.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

I bet the tune will be different later in the season. What did Andy Delmore, Andrew Hutchinson and Marek Zidlicky do after leaving the Preds? I expect Franson will be similar, useful for a team that doesn't mind having an offensive d-man on their bottom pair, but nothing that we will regret.

Especially if we lock up our free agents and bring in another piece up front (nothing big i'm sure, but something useful, Miettenen maybe).

Old
07-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Raging Bull

I'll say this about Lebda, he's actually a pretty damn good skater. Very quick, he'll at the very least add mobility to your defense.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:14 PM
predwings

Am I the only one who thinks we got hosed on the draft-pick? If anything we should have just outright gotten a 4th round pick. There shouldn't be a clause in there. The amount of talent they got is not equal to what we received. It just seems like we always seem to be the gracious giver in these deals. Oh sure, take our two NHL players and give us your not-NHL ready D man and AHL forward. You want a draft-pick clause too? OK!

I am hoping above hopes that this is all just because something big is going to happen, but I'm starting to believe we'll be back to high first-round draft-picks starting this next off-season.

Closed Thread