HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Available UFAs and finishing the job

Old
07-03-2011, 04:29 PM
JoeFlyer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It's relatively important that we come up with a goaltender on a two-way contract that's not waiver-eligible
Why's that?

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:30 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
I put this revised roster in another thread:

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m)
??? ($???) / ??? ($???) / Jakub Voracek ($2.250m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.800m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.845m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
??? ($???) / ??? ($???)
/ Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,118,095; BONUSES: $3,815,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,181,905

Maybe you can deal for 2 of Hannan/O'Brian/McCabe/Babchuk for a fairly cheap but solid D line and then Talbot centre the 3rd and sign 2 of Simmonds/Langenbrunner/Miettinen also, you'd probably save a bit of cap (around 2mil if you dump Shelly?) and be a solid enough team to get to the playoffs (and add at deadline day)
You left off Meszaros. Why?

Quote:
It's relatively important that we come up with a goaltender on a two-way contract that's not waiver-eligible
In case of a Goalie injury I assume? good point.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:42 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
You left off Meszaros. Why?
Just think his cap hit hinders us a bit and that there are equal options on the free agency for cheaper... Although I'd probably rather keep him than Coburn who'd have to be resigned next year anyway...

I like any combination of our 5 top D's but it's a lot to pay out on 5 D's and I'm not sold on Lilja... I don't think it's too much of a stretch to run with 3 good D pairings that could eat up similar mins rather than Pronger and Timonen being driven into the ground eating mins again...

Edit: Not sold on Lilja or Bartulis being on the team as a regular...

Old
07-03-2011, 04:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Meszaros at $4M with term probably helps us given the going rate for defensemen. Even Carle's number, considering what Wisniewski got.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:54 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Just think his cap hit hinders us a bit and that there are equal options on the free agency for cheaper... Although I'd probably rather keep him than Coburn who'd have to be resigned next year anyway...

I like any combination of our 5 top D's but it's a lot to pay out on 5 D's and I'm not sold on Lilja... I don't think it's too much of a stretch to run with 3 good D pairings that could eat up similar mins rather than Pronger and Timonen being driven into the ground eating mins again...

Edit: Not sold on Lilja or Bartulis being on the team as a regular...
Who are these equal options on the UFA market that are cheaper? 4M for a player like Meszaros is well worth it. He's only going to get better. It's not a lot to spend on defense. It's money well spent for the 5 defenseman. Getting rid of Meszaros isn't going to help keep Pronger and Timonen's minutes down. There are other D men such as Gustafsson in the mix for a spot next Season.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:55 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Meszaros at $4M with term probably helps us given the going rate for defensemen. Even Carle's number, considering what Wisniewski got.
Maybe, just saw that his cap hit is lower than his salary so he'd probably be harder to ship and worth keeping as it's a while til it expires... Depending on what the rate for the UFA D's left is maybe move Coburn and try and get 2 solid players or just keep him and sign a player who's already an NHL regular... It must be worth seeing what Kaberle, McCabe, Hannan, Babchuk and O'Brien are after, if you can get 2 cheap on multi year deals it would solve resigning Coburn and give 3 solid D pairs.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:57 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Maybe, just saw that his cap hit is lower than his salary so he'd probably be harder to ship and worth keeping as it's a while til it expires... Depending on what the rate for the UFA D's left is maybe move Coburn and try and get 2 solid players or just keep him and sign a player who's already an NHL regular... It must be worth seeing what Kaberle, McCabe, Hannan, Babchuk and O'Brien are after, if you can get 2 cheap on multi year deals it would solve resigning Coburn and give 3 solid D pairs.
Seriously? None of the D men you name, would I take over Coburn or Meszaros.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Why's that?
If Bryz or Bob gets hurt, we need to be able to call up a decent goalie without having them claimed off waivers.

07-03-2011, 05:11 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Seriously? None of the D men you name, would I take over Coburn or Meszaros.
Really? The way I see it, D men should be measured in pairs, Coburn or Meszaros paired with Lilja/Bartulis/Gustafsson are not gonna be that solid as players off that list of experienced NHL players. I dont think Coburn is bad but he's not irriplacable and his contract is up next year. If you could get a better balanced PAIR of D's for a more balanced price then I think it would be the smarter move.

Either way I'd like a more experienced D to complete the top 6 rather than hope that a combination of Lilja/Bartulis/Gustafsson are going to cut it.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:12 PM
FlyerX

Wanted Arnott from the start (well, after they dumped Richie and Carter) so hopefully there's a still a chance. Much better fit and will bring a lot more offense than Lappy Lite.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:23 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Really? The way I see it, D men should be measured in pairs, Coburn or Meszaros paired with Lilja/Bartulis/Gustafsson are not gonna be that solid as players off that list of experienced NHL players. I dont think Coburn is bad but he's not irriplacable and his contract is up next year. If you could get a better balanced PAIR of D's for a more balanced price then I think it would be the smarter move.

Either way I'd like a more experienced D to complete the top 6 rather than hope that a combination of Lilja/Bartulis/Gustafsson are going to cut it.
D men aren't measured in pairs. For one reason being that pairs change during games and during the Season. Based on injuries, games situations, etc. Defenseman are measured on their own play.The Defenseman you named are average at best. How do you think you develop a young defenseman such as Bartulis or Gustafsson? By not playing them? With the 5 top 4 level D men they have, plus one of the young kids, and with the veteran Lilja in the mix, no reason at all to put out Cap space for any of the players you named.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Wanted Arnott from the start (well, after they dumped Richie and Carter) so hopefully there's a still a chance. Much better fit and will bring a lot more offense than Lappy Lite.

On a one year deal, maybe. And cheaply.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
D men aren't measured in pairs. For one reason being that pairs change during games and during the Season. Based on injuries, games situations, etc. Defenseman are measured on their own play.The Defenseman you named are average at best. How do you think you develop a young defenseman such as Bartulis or Gustafsson? By not playing them? With the 5 top 4 level D men they have, plus one of the young kids, and with the veteran Lilja in the mix, no reason at all to put out Cap space for any of the players you named.
Having the right or the wrong D partner can make a huge difference. Obviously, injuries happen, but I think of defensive pairings. I think they're far more important than forward line combinations.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:38 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Let them develop as the 7th D coming in, we have enough other players who need to develop/kick on on the team atm, I rather no have the same on D. All I sugested was seeing what those players want, they probably aren't all gonna be going for mega bucks... Hannan could be a great pick up depending on the interest shown and you know exactly what you're getting with him...

Top 6 of:
Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Hannan

Thats pretty formidable...

Old
07-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Even broken clocks find acorns twice a day. I'm hopeful he's got this one right and it does make sense and Arnott is still available.
Just incase I missed the answer to this somewhere else in the thread, but why do we need another center? An aged one at that? Hope they're looking at wing or D personally

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Well that was my thought with him, as a Dman he actually scores a few (as opposed to almost exclusive assist Dmen) and shouldn't be too expensive...

Just played with some numbers and players I mentioned (put whoever you want in ) and got this (its $700,000 over cap but a 23 man roster, you can take out any player bar Betts and Sestito and it's fine albeit little too close):

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.250m)
Jamie Langenbrunner ($2.000m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.200m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.800m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.845m)
/ Jody Shelley ($1.100m) / Tom Sestito ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Scott Hannan ($4.000m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)
Anton Babchuk ($2.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,005,595; BONUSES: $3,815,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$705,595

Simmer is not going to be had for 1.2.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:11 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Just incase I missed the answer to this somewhere else in the thread, but why do we need another center? An aged one at that? Hope they're looking at wing or D personally
They need scoring and Arnott popped 17 last year . . . his worst in more than a decade mostly with a crappy NJ team. He's two seasons removed from a 33 goal year. Schenn can always flip to LW.

Old
07-03-2011, 07:21 PM
lancer247

Arnott would be a real nice pick up.
Keep some space for the deadline.
Brian Boyle may end up being available with NYR signing the Richards.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:13 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
Isn't Arnott a bit broken...
You say this and yet add Langenbrunner to your lineup...

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:16 AM
mypunkrock

Would it be possible to just sign 12 centers, and just roll with it?

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:50 AM
smacklby

Sign this guy, for another tryout:

Nikolay Zherdev

Philadelphia

Incredible skill level but has yet to turn those skills into consistent production

Not my words; not my analysis; but, the analysis given on NHL.com...

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:12 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
They need scoring and Arnott popped 17 last year . . . his worst in more than a decade mostly with a crappy NJ team. He's two seasons removed from a 33 goal year. Schenn can always flip to LW.
Plus it adds size in the middle and a center who isnt terrible defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post

Nikolay Zherdev

Philadelphia

Incredible skill level but has yet to turn those skills into consistent production

Dude, is he like a distant cousin or something??? The guy sucks....every team in the NHL had a chance to get this guy in the last 2 seasons and didnt want him (except Homer) and he clearly did not fit here last year. Someone needs to smacklby some sense into you. Enough said.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Nikolay Zherdev

Philadelphia

If Zherdev signed for $500k, I'd do it. Anything other than that is too risky. He has clearly shown he can play, but has also shown that he clearly doesn't fit on this roster. But for $500k, if he can put up 15+ goals as a 13th forward, I'd do it.

EDIT: Almost 100% sure he wouldn't do this though.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:29 AM
dats81

I'm not sure what is worse: a lazy unmotivated Zherdev @ 2M per or a pissed off even less motivated Zherdev @ < 1M per?

I think it's not worth it either way...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:33 AM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Plus it adds size in the middle and a center who isnt terrible defensively.
His drop off in scoring is also very likely related to his age, so I wouldn't expect him to one, play a complete season, and two, expect him to score more than 50 points, morelike 40 some points. Still, he would be a very good signing at the right cost, and he would provide some assurance for a year or two while rookies Schenn and Couturier mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Dude, is he like a distant cousin or something??? The guy sucks....every team in the NHL had a chance to get this guy in the last 2 seasons and didnt want him (except Homer) and he clearly did not fit here last year. Someone needs to smacklby some sense into you. Enough said.
The adverse attitude against Zherdev I find not only senseless, but deplorable. The dude has talent; he is young, yet, and he has unreached potential. I am not convinced that he cannot yet reach his fullest potential, given proper coaching and instruction. I am also not convinced that he is uncoachable, although I do reserve the right to change that opinion, as I know there have been issues with him and coaching and management, just last season.

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:39 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
His drop off in scoring is also very likely related to his age, so I wouldn't expect him to one, play a complete season, and two, expect him to score more than 50 points, morelike 40 some points. Still, he would be a very good signing at the right cost, and he would provide some assurance for a year or two while rookies Schenn and Couturier mature.

The adverse attitude against Zherdev I find not only senseless, but deplorable. The dude has talent; he is young, yet, and he has unreached potential. I am not convinced that he cannot yet reach his fullest potential, given proper coaching and instruction. I am also not convinced that he is uncoachable, although I do reserve the right to change that opinion, as I know there have been issues with him and coaching and management, just last season.
He is ****ing 27 and has been in this league for years....What part of every team in the NHL had their chance to sign him and didnt....and the Flyers were trying to give him away and no one wanted him do you not understand???

There is more to talent than being a hockey player. Alexandre Daigle had a lot of talent as well...Where did it get him?

If he reaches his potentil it will not be in the NHL.

You obviously did not watch one single game of this team last year if you think they should bring back Zherdev.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote