HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Jevon Kearse reinjures same ankle...

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
OT: Jevon Kearse reinjures same ankle...

that he's had problem with since his second year...

I'm really glad we got rid of that bum...he hasn't done **** since his rookie year, in all honesty

Old
08-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We will miss him, but I am so glad we didn't try to sign him at the contract he got. Not only is it ridiculous, you KNEW it would backfire on the Eagles. Kearse hasn't been healthy since he was a rookie - i.e. the Freak.

08-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Dave Carlson

its a day to day minor ankle sprain...

Old
08-09-2004, 08:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carlson
its a day to day minor ankle sprain...

that's how it always starts.

Old
08-09-2004, 09:57 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
that's how it always starts.
Agreed, and this comes from someone who is pretty neutral with regards to the Titans. I think he and Michael Vick will be the china dolls of their respective sides of the ball. He'll always be suffering nagging injuries because of his build. I think he will be yet another huge free agent bust in the NFL market.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Dave Carlson

as long as he holds up for this season and does what he was brought in to do and they win a super bowl it will still be deemed a sucess. whether he is in for the long haul doesn't really matter.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:43 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
as long as he holds up for this season and does what he was brought in to do and they win a super bowl it will still be deemed a sucess. whether he is in for the long haul doesn't really matter.
I won't argue that would be a success. But will he hold up? Sure, he's had a bad run of injuries in the past two seasons, but he's always going off in key situations with random leg injuries. I'm not sure his pain threshold is what it needs to be, which makes his decision to go to Philly even more perplexing. Since his outstanding rookie year, Kearse has not been in the top 10 in sacks in the NFL. In 2000, he was 11th. In 2001, he was 16. In 2002, he missed most of the season. In 2003, he was tied for 15th. If I were dishing out 66 million to a player, I would hope he'd be slightly more productive than that. Kearse is payed like the best defensive player in football. He can get sacks, and he provides great backside pressure. But he is weak on tackle, and you rarely get a full game out of him.

The bottom line is the kid had 1, I repeat, ONE great season combined with several good campaigns. I just wouldn't expect a great season out him him. And one good season from Kearse isn't going to push the Eagles over the hump. Their problems run deeper than that. He'll likely be an improvement, but he's going to need a lot more help on that Dline than the Eagles can offer. I hope they aren't expecting Kalu to alleviate any pressure.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 08-09-2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old
08-09-2004, 10:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I won't argue that would be a success. But will he hold up? Sure, he's had a bad run of injuries in the past two seasons, but he's always going off in key situations with random leg injuries. I'm not sure his pain threshold is what it needs to be, which makes his decision to go to Philly even more perplexing. Since his outstanding rookie year, Kearse has not been in the top 10 in sacks in the NFL. In 2000, he was 11th. In 2001, he was 16. In 2002, he missed most of the season. In 2003, he was tied for 15th. If I were dishing out 66 million to a player, I would hope he'd be slightly more productive than that. Kearse is payed like the best defensive player in football. He can get sacks, and he provides great backside pressure. But he is weak on tackle, and you rarely get a full game out of him.

The bottom line is the kid had 1, I repeat, ONE great season combined with several good campaigns. I just wouldn't expect a great season out him him. And one good season from Kearse isn't going to push the Eagles over the hump. Their problems run deeper than that.
yeah..notably..my Giants are going to have a healthy offensive line this year, and Manning WILL win the starting job(with sideline guidage from Kurt Warner) and thus, the Eagles have no shot, anyway

Old
08-09-2004, 10:47 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
yeah..notably..my Giants are going to have a healthy offensive line this year, and Manning WILL win the starting job(with sideline guidage from Kurt Warner) and thus, the Eagles have no shot, anyway
The Giants may make it to the Super Bowl, but from there, it will be all Bengals baby!

Old
08-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Dave Carlson

Quote:

The bottom line is the kid had 1, I repeat, ONE great season combined with several good campaigns. I just wouldn't expect a great season out him him. And one good season from Kearse isn't going to push the Eagles over the hump. Their problems run deeper than that. He'll likely be an improvement, but he's going to need a lot more help on that Dline than the Eagles can offer. I hope they aren't expecting Kalu to alleviate any pressure.

The problems run deeper then that, but lets not forget that the Eagles have been a very good team for a bit now and its not like they are a weak team.

The eagles are deep on d end right now. What they lack is a premeir pash rusher. Even if Kearse can't full games, he brings that element that the eagles desperatly needed. All I personally am looking for is him to fulfill that part of his duty, for this year, and it doesnt even have to be outstanding. He can be gone after this year for all I care.

O, and the Eagles are going to destory the Giants.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Dave Carlson

Quote:
And then Kearse knocks him unconscious on the first play.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:54 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

and is then helped off the field, limping the whole way

Old
08-09-2004, 11:02 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
On the first play, Kearse is going to go flying around end, blow past the running back who wasn't expecting it and shoot right by Warner who will calmly step up in the pocket.

Back to your response to mine, the Eagles are more than a couple more sacks away from the Super Bowl (unless they are all in the NFC championship game). I just don't think he's going to have what it takes to make them a Super Bowl team. I think McNabb is going to have to step it up when it counts. His play has steadily declined in the postseason since 2001. Unless he steps up and shirks the "Peyton Manning Syndrome", it'll be another year of bitter words streaming out of Philly.

Old
08-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Dave Carlson

Quote:
On the first play, Kearse is going to go flying around end, blow past the running back who wasn't expecting it and shoot right by Warner who will calmly step up in the pocket.

Back to your response to mine, the Eagles are more than a couple more sacks away from the Super Bowl (unless they are all in the NFC championship game). I just don't think he's going to have what it takes to make them a Super Bowl team. I think McNabb is going to have to step it up when it counts. His play has steadily declined in the postseason since 2001. Unless he steps up and shirks the "Peyton Manning Syndrome", it'll be another year of bitter words streaming out of Philly.

Of course he's going to have to step it up, but this year there are less excuses. In my opinion McNabb played well in the Green Bay game, and you can't complete fault him for his recievers being manhandled in the Carolina game. That game was more a result of Pinkston's meltdown and Thrash's lack of ability then anything else.

Last edited by Dave Carlson: 08-09-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old
08-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Mcnabb has been surprisingly average in post-season play, thus far. Maybe adding Terrel Attitude to the team will change things, but.......I forsee this as being the last chance for Philly hopefuls. After that, Owens will start making rumbles (could be wrong, but his attitude certainly leans torwards a deeper problem...), and Kearse will likely rarely be healthy to begin with. I'm not sure how much longer Philly can withold their strong defense, with as much success and high drafting as they ahve had in recent years. Time will tell.....Mcnabb, as mentioned, has to step it up, and if he does......the Eagles have every chance to succeed.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:10 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Well I personally hope he has a great season in Philly and turns into a great player. He was one of the only Titans I liked. He was funny, last season after the Baltimore playoff game, when he was talking about Ray Lewis mouthing off and then the Titans beating them, it was great.

Funny story. He was on my airplane once, coming home here from Pittsburgh and he got randomly searched at the airport. And he was wearing these 2 HUGE diamond earrings. It was great, people would pass him in the aisle and everyone had the same expression, "Is that Jevon Kearse?" It was a day or 2 before thanksgiving and no one expected to see him, but there he was, sitting in coach, after a Plaxico Burress party (some other NFL guy -a Brown maybe- got arrested at the party). I think either Fisher or Cowher (or both) were mad at them because they were about to play each other that weekend or the next.

Anyway....I hope Kearse is okay and is able to play the whole year and be good again.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:55 AM
blah

Quote:
And one good season from Kearse isn't going to push the Eagles over the hump. Their problems run deeper than that. He'll likely be an improvement, but he's going to need a lot more help on that Dline than the Eagles can offer. I hope they aren't expecting Kalu to alleviate any pressure.
I don't think they expect Kearse to push them over the hump by himself. He has plenty of help on the DL IF they're healthy. At the start of last season it was one of their biggest strengths, but they lost so many players to injury. Kearse, Kalu, Green, McDougle, and especially Burgess, who if healthy and returns to form will be a huge bonus. At DT they have Simon, Walker, Grasmanis, and Thomas. They're very deep.

Also, what problems are you talking about? Outside of an injury to Westbrook or the young CBs flopping what do they have to worry about?

Old
08-10-2004, 03:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Also, what problems are you talking about? Outside of an injury to Westbrook or the young CBs flopping what do they have to worry about?
Donovan McNabb

Old
08-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Dave Carlson

Quote:
Donovan McNabb
McNabb has not been the problem. But we shall see I guess.

Old
08-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

I think Philadelphia are going to experience a downward spiral if McNabb gets injured again this year.

Old
08-10-2004, 02:06 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
McNabb has not been the problem. But we shall see I guess.

Let's just say this, when it is do or die time, is McNabb at the top of his game? Past history certainly suggest no or, atleast, not often enough. His QB ratings in the playoffs are a far cry from his regular season ratings. To put it in other terms, if McNabb were a goalie, he would be lambasted by hockey fans because he's not a playoff player. It's fortunate for McNabb that this aspect goes unnoticed in the NFL (the concept of a playoff player) and is replaced by the term 'clutch player'. Which, of course, McNabb is, unless it's the playoffs. And there, he's just average. And average QB's don't win championships unless the defense is dominant. And the Eagles defense is only above average. At worst, they are plain average. An average QB and an average defense don't make for Super Bowl teams. Kearse isn't going to make the Eagles defense great. Too many other things will have to fall in to place for that to happen. Too many to count on atleast.

McNabb is the biggest question mark because he is the biggest wildcard. A great QB can take an above average defense and a really good offense to the Superbowl. It's been done several times recently. But the McNabb is going to have to show us something he hasn't yet and that is the ability to be clutch deep in the playoffs.

Old
08-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Dave Carlson

Quote:
Let's just say this, when it is do or die time, is McNabb at the top of his game? Past history certainly suggest no or, atleast, not often enough. His QB ratings in the playoffs are a far cry from his regular season ratings. To put it in other terms, if McNabb were a goalie, he would be lambasted by hockey fans because he's not a playoff player. It's fortunate for McNabb that this aspect goes unnoticed in the NFL (the concept of a playoff player) and is replaced by the term 'clutch player'. Which, of course, McNabb is, unless it's the playoffs. And there, he's just average. And average QB's don't win championships unless the defense is dominant. And the Eagles defense is only above average. At worst, they are plain average. An average QB and an average defense don't make for Super Bowl teams. Kearse isn't going to make the Eagles defense great. Too many other things will have to fall in to place for that to happen. Too many to count on atleast.

McNabb is the biggest question mark because he is the biggest wildcard. A great QB can take an above average defense and a really good offense to the Superbowl. It's been done several times recently. But the McNabb is going to have to show us something he hasn't yet and that is the ability to be clutch deep in the playoffs.
4th and 26 is pretty clutch.
His recievers absolutely caved on him last year.
I agree, he is a wild card and hasn't given us an Elway like playoff game in the NFC championship yet, but now he has the offense that there are no more excuses with. I'm a philly fan so im obvious going to take the positive side, but with this year we will see what he is truly made of.

And Kearse was back in practice today.

Last edited by Dave Carlson: 08-10-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old
08-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
And Kearse was back in practice today.
That's good to hear...I hope he does have a HEALTHY year, he has got to get his ankle healthy though...good luck to him.

Old
08-11-2004, 07:21 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
Well I personally hope he has a great season in Philly and turns into a great player. He was one of the only Titans I liked. He was funny, last season after the Baltimore playoff game, when he was talking about Ray Lewis mouthing off and then the Titans beating them, it was great.

Funny story. He was on my airplane once, coming home here from Pittsburgh and he got randomly searched at the airport. And he was wearing these 2 HUGE diamond earrings. It was great, people would pass him in the aisle and everyone had the same expression, "Is that Jevon Kearse?" It was a day or 2 before thanksgiving and no one expected to see him, but there he was, sitting in coach, after a Plaxico Burress party (some other NFL guy -a Brown maybe- got arrested at the party). I think either Fisher or Cowher (or both) were mad at them because they were about to play each other that weekend or the next.

Anyway....I hope Kearse is okay and is able to play the whole year and be good again.
I saw him at the dentist about two years ago, he was jumping in his Caddie as I was pulling in with my rental Pontiac Grand Prix

Old
08-11-2004, 07:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Has anyone watched an Eagles playoff game? He beat the Packers by himself. He got hurt against the Panthers, he was still hurt 2 years ago against Tampa Bay and against the Giants and Rams he was beaten by a better team. Adding Owens adds a dynamic to the offense the Eagles have yet to have since...well no one really, and that is a #1 superstar WR (his ego and reputation is another story, but the fact he is a #1 remains). Now that McNabb actually has a receiver, it should open up the offense even more.

Closed Thread