HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The paper team/ Chemistry and leadership

Old
07-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

vCash: 500
The paper team/ Chemistry and leadership

So, on the paper, it seems that we had improved almost all aspects: goaltending, forwards, defense and including depth.

However, we know that paper teams rarely translates into real team. I just wonder with all these turnovers during off season and losing some of our long term Avs ( i.e liles, Boods) will chemistry and leadership be a factor?

I am rather disappointed that the issue of locker room leadership has not been addressed, and I am worried that chemistry will set up behind ( especially the first 20 games or so). I know I will be panicking if they start off 0-6 like the Leafs did two years ago. They never really recovers from the falls.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:04 AM
PeterTheGreat

I think Giguere will be huge for the team in the locker room. He's a super classy guy and has huge amounts of experience and including a Stanley Cup.

I expect Jay McClement, Milan Hejduk, and Ryan O'Byrne to be part of the leadership group.

Lastly, I think it's time that our young players step up and take this team on their shoulders. I think EJ and Stastny will do that.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

I think this is where Giguere's presence will be a big plus. Veteran guy with championship experience who can be not only a mentor to the Avs young starting goaltender, but to the rest of the team as well.

This is also a chance for the younger guys to grow into leadership roles (Stastny, Duchene, Johnson, etc).

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:22 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
We still have Hejduk, Stastny, Johnson, and O'Byrne. Those guys were given an 'A' for a reason. Avs management/coaches obviously see them as leaders. Giguere is also a veteran who has accomplished more than anyone else on this team. His leadership and experience should help Varlamov and the team.

Chemistry shouldn't be a problem because there really aren't that many new guys. The only new forwards will be Landeskog, Kobasew, and Lindstrom. On defense we lost two leaders and veterans(Foote and Liles) but Hejda and maybe Elliott will be the only new guys on defense. I think it's normal for teams to bring in 3 or 4 new guys. Building chemistry is what training camp is for.

We clearly have better goaltenders this year and IMO that should help quite a bit. Not only because the goalies will help us win more games but also because the forwards and defense will have confidence in them. Anderson, Budaj, and Elliott would take all the energy out of the players and the crowd with the softies they let in every game. Especially when they did it in the 3rd period of a close game.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:31 AM
Zaphod

Oh, I dunno, we've got wide-eyed enthusiasm (Duchene), swagger (Johnson), finishes shift with face cut open (O'Byrne), remembers the glory (Hejduk), Jesus camp (Mueller), the adversity guy from the prairies (McLeod), the 'been there, fought through that, and prevailed' guy (Giguere), the 'I know my role and I'm sticking to it' guy (McClement), BC boys (Kobasew, Jones, Yip, O'Byrne, Cumiskey, Barrie)...

...kind of a motley crew, actually. hopefully somebody brought the glue - Lando?

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:43 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I think Giguere will be huge for the team in the locker room. He's a super classy guy and has huge amounts of experience and including a Stanley Cup.

I expect Jay McClement, Milan Hejduk, and Ryan O'Byrne to be part of the leadership group.

Lastly, I think it'so time that our young players step up and take this team on their shoulders. I think EJ and Stastny will do that.
I agree and I think Ro'R will fill that role too he has worn the "C" everywhere he has been and i don't think a letter on his jersey is far away

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote