HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs players underrated, Ex-Habs overrated

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-28-2004, 02:12 PM
  #1
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Habs players underrated, Ex-Habs overrated

Why does it happen mostly to habs fans?

"HACKETT SUCKS" ..He's not worth more then a 9th round pick ...

Result: we get Sundstrom+3rd+Cash ....Hackett is said to be a "solid" goalie for the Bruins.


"Balej is an alright prospect, he might get 20 G if he's lucky"

Result: Kovalev for Balej+2nd ....Balej is said to be a "poor man's Bure" after his end of the season..he is being talked about being in the top 50 prospects out of nowhere.


"Garon cleared waivers, he isn't worth more then a 4th"
Result" Bonk,Huet for Garon,pick

"Garon is a solid #1 goalie that will turn the Kings franchise around"


I expect the same thing for Rivet,Ribeiro,Brisebois,Hainsey,Hossa if they ever get traded.

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
07-28-2004, 02:19 PM
  #2
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Why does it happen mostly to habs fans?

"HACKETT SUCKS" ..He's not worth more then a 9th round pick ...

Result: we get Sundstrom+3rd+Cash ....Hackett is said to be a "solid" goalie for the Bruins.


"Balej is an alright prospect, he might get 20 G if he's lucky"

Result: Kovalev for Balej+2nd ....Balej is said to be a "poor man's Bure" after his end of the season..he is being talked about being in the top 50 prospects out of nowhere.


"Garon cleared waivers, he isn't worth more then a 4th"
Result" Bonk,Huet for Garon,pick

"Garon is a solid #1 goalie that will turn the Kings franchise around"


I expect the same thing for Rivet,Ribeiro,Brisebois,Hainsey,Hossa if they ever get traded.
I know, it's so stupid, I mentionned this on the prospect boards, all our players suck until they get traded, Balej and Garon being the most recent one's!

Think about it, if at the midway point of the year I would of proposed a trade like

Balej + 2nd round for Kovalev

or

Garon + 3rd round pick for Bonk and a backup goalie...

I would of been flamed on the trade proposals board, there is a double standard on this board, it's almost not worth posting on any other board but the Habs one if your a Habs fan...I know some Habs fans don't give us the best reputation out there, but let's not paint us all with the same brush

Good post Komisarek8

417 is offline  
Old
07-28-2004, 02:31 PM
  #3
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Why does it happen mostly to habs fans?

"HACKETT SUCKS" ..He's not worth more then a 9th round pick ...

Result: we get Sundstrom+3rd+Cash ....Hackett is said to be a "solid" goalie for the Bruins.


"Balej is an alright prospect, he might get 20 G if he's lucky"

Result: Kovalev for Balej+2nd ....Balej is said to be a "poor man's Bure" after his end of the season..he is being talked about being in the top 50 prospects out of nowhere.


"Garon cleared waivers, he isn't worth more then a 4th"
Result" Bonk,Huet for Garon,pick

"Garon is a solid #1 goalie that will turn the Kings franchise around"


I expect the same thing for Rivet,Ribeiro,Brisebois,Hainsey,Hossa if they ever get traded.
I see what you mean, but I think it's more that there are so many habs fans that there will be plenty of people at each end of the spectrum. Nobody starts threads saying "Balej is a solid prospect" but when he's gone all his fans are going to post "OMGOMGOMGOMG GAINEY YOU IDIOT" because they're really high on Balej. They were probably just as high on Balej before, but there was really no reason to start posting about it.

Using your examples.

Hacket: I liked him when he was a hab, I thought he was a fairly underrated goalie. I was happy for him when he got traded, because I thought he could be a decent starter. I wasn't super crazy about the trade itself, but that's a different story.

Balej: I liked him as a prospect, though I didn't know much about him. I like Kovalev too though, and I understand the trade. The push into the second round was probably worth the price, though at the time I was surprised how much Kovalev cost. He played great when it mattered though, so I'm ok with it.

Garon: I thought Garon was a great backup, and he may develop into a good (but probably not a great) starter. I wasn't all that sad to see him go, and I like what we got back. I think it will be a good trade if BG can convince Bonk to sign for slightly less money than his Q, for multiple years. The only part that really bothered me about the deal was how cheaply the Sens gave up Bonk compared to what we paid for him.

I think these positions are (or are close to) the silent majority of Habs fans. There's nothing really special about it, so why start a thread on it? I would never put up a post saying "I like Balej, I think he'll be good" I need something substantial to say. People who want to criticize players have that, and people who want to criticize trades have that too, which is why you see so many posts of those sorts.

Squeaky is offline  
Old
07-28-2004, 02:54 PM
  #4
StanleyCH25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Garon: I thought Garon was a great backup, and he may develop into a good (but probably not a great) starter. I wasn't all that sad to see him go, and I like what we got back. I think it will be a good trade if BG can convince Bonk to sign for slightly less money than his Q, for multiple years. The only part that really bothered me about the deal was how cheaply the Sens gave up Bonk compared to what we paid for him.
The Sens gave up Bonk cheaply because they were not going to qualify him which would have made him a UFA. By getting a 3rd (was it a 3rd?), they at least got something in return for a guy they were about to let go completely to the free agent market.

Los Angeles, on the other hand, were going to sign him or use him as an asset to trade him later on and would have qualified him. Because of this, LA was able to increase his value and get Garon and the pick for Huet and Bonk as they didn't feel like they were stuck with Bonk in any way.

I'm sure that if Muckler had thought about it a bit more, he would have qualified Bonk and then traded him but I guess he didn't want to take the chance of teams not being interested in that kind of salary and didn't want to be stuck with his salary.


Last edited by StanleyCH25: 07-28-2004 at 03:58 PM.
StanleyCH25 is offline  
Old
07-28-2004, 04:38 PM
  #5
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
The Sens gave up Bonk cheaply because they were not going to qualify him which would have made him a UFA. By getting a 3rd (was it a 3rd?), they at least got something in return for a guy they were about to let go completely to the free agent market.

Los Angeles, on the other hand, were going to sign him or use him as an asset to trade him later on and would have qualified him. Because of this, LA was able to increase his value and get Garon and the pick for Huet and Bonk as they didn't feel like they were stuck with Bonk in any way.

I'm sure that if Muckler had thought about it a bit more, he would have qualified Bonk and then traded him but I guess he didn't want to take the chance of teams not being interested in that kind of salary and didn't want to be stuck with his salary.
Yep, Muckler's running that team into the ground, slowly but surely. Thank goodness, because that's a damned good team. With the right GM they could win the cup every year.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
07-28-2004, 06:51 PM
  #6
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
One former hab I never was too crazy about was Brian Savage. I was loking forward to seeing Sergei Berezin play for us, unfortunately it was the complete wrong system for Berezin, who had a nose for the net, but not much else. He Could have worked out pretty well here, but oh well, c'est la vie... I don't miss him at all either (in fact, it kinda sucks thinking that the Canadiens 10,000th NHL goal was scored by a player who spent all of 30 games here).

Marchy79 is offline  
Old
07-28-2004, 07:27 PM
  #7
toughstuff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Yep, Muckler's running that team into the ground, slowly but surely. Thank goodness, because that's a damned good team. With the right GM they could win the cup every year.
I do not trust Muckler at all. I think in 5 years from now (without a stanley cup) Sens fans will say Muckler pulled a "Rejean Houle". But contrary to Houle, Muckler had the experience and the reputation of a genius.

toughstuff is offline  
Old
07-28-2004, 07:41 PM
  #8
jacklours
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Magog
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Why does it happen mostly to habs fans?

"HACKETT SUCKS" ..He's not worth more then a 9th round pick ...

Result: we get Sundstrom+3rd+Cash ....Hackett is said to be a "solid" goalie for the Bruins.


"Balej is an alright prospect, he might get 20 G if he's lucky"

Result: Kovalev for Balej+2nd ....Balej is said to be a "poor man's Bure" after his end of the season..he is being talked about being in the top 50 prospects out of nowhere.


"Garon cleared waivers, he isn't worth more then a 4th"
Result" Bonk,Huet for Garon,pick

"Garon is a solid #1 goalie that will turn the Kings franchise around"


I expect the same thing for Rivet,Ribeiro,Brisebois,Hainsey,Hossa if they ever get traded.
I disagree with you on both goalie's arguments. I know there was a lot of talk on the board about Garon. Many beleived we should have treded Théo and made Garon our #1.

Also, Hackett was a solid goalie. But peoples reaction toward him is like the reaction in people in everydays life. I don't know if your use to work with the public, but I am. They all complain when something is wrong. But they never call saying. Hey I just felt like dropping a line because nothing new happened in my life and eveything is fine. Same thing happened with HAckett. Why would someone have started a thread about : Well I think Hackett is really good and I hope we can keep him.

jacklours is offline  
Old
07-28-2004, 08:19 PM
  #9
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,320
vCash: 50
My opinions on the mentionned players:

I liked Hackett and thought he was solid with the Habs. I thought we could have gotten more than we got for him, but I was generally pleased with the trade. I believe he got a lot more criticism after leaving Montreal than when he was playing in Montreal.

I was never high on Balej. Never thought he could stick in the bigs, but we'll see. I think he's a tad overrated now. People act like he's already a 30 goal scorer in the league.

Garon, I liked. I was torn between him and Theodore. On the one hand, you have a sure bet in Theodore but he's been known to choke. On the other hand, there's a wild card in Garon who could possibly be a #1 but we don't know. But will Garon ever be significantly better than Theodore so that we really regret the trade? I doubt it. As long as you have a top ten goalie in the NHL, you can win the Cup so may as well build around that.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.