HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

All Stamkos Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 07:32 PM
El Emperor

vCash: 500
All Stamkos Talk

So after everything that just went down in Philly theres already talk about the Flyers going after Stamkos.

So... first question.. why isnt he resigned yet?

Second... with TBs cap space, is there any way Yzerman would ever let him go? Im not propsing a possible deal, im just curious as to why he hasnt resigned yet.

Btw... get ready for an onslaught of Flyers fans inquiring about possible deals.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
TBLHoser

First off - you don't have the cap space for Stammer.....case closed.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:49 PM
I Am Beat You

Shelley, Meszaros and a pick please.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Wow, it wasn't ridiculous enough around here?

Old
06-23-2011, 07:58 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
First off - you don't have the cap space for Stammer.....case closed.
Just like this morning when Bryz couldnt be signed due to cap space?

Cap space is irrelevent at this point. I mean, they just traded Richards and Carter just like that...

Nonetheless... I am actually interested to know if there is a reason he has not been resigned yet... 28 other teams other than the Flyers with the option of offer sheet.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Benders Lindyhop

He didn't want to discuss contract issues before the playoffs were over and then he went on vacation. He's not even been back in TO for a week yet.

I've had a couple of stressful moments, but the deal will get done. I would worry more about your GM's mental break with reality.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:11 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
He didn't want to discuss contract issues before the playoffs were over and then he went on vacation. He's not even been back in TO for a week yet.

I've had a couple of stressful moments, but the deal will get done. I would worry more about your GM's mental break with reality.
Why bother at this point? Happens every year. We expect it at this point.

You guys should know... Homer basically freed you guys of two overpayments in return for a 2nd rounder and one year Gagne contract.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Omg! He's Right!

Everybody Panic Stammer's Not Being Signed!!111111!!!!

Philly's trading everyone away, and getting everyone else in return!!!!!!!

Old
06-23-2011, 08:44 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Omg! He's Right!

Everybody Panic Stammer's Not Being Signed!!111111!!!!

Philly's trading everyone away, and getting everyone else in return!!!!!!!
Lol... tons of sarcasm on the Flyers boards too a few weeks ago when a Carter OR Richards trade was in the works. Funny how things turned out.

Then again... Homer runs things up here.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:01 PM
TBLHoser

We'll trade you Chris Gratton....he kinda looks like him....

Old
06-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Riverbolt

Stamkos will not be dealt. And in the RARE instance he is it will be for a kings random. Either way SFY will make this a cup-contending team next season. The entire situation is a win-win for Tampa.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:18 PM
HockeyCrazed101

Out of curiousity, what is Tampa's cap situation? I guess the Lecavalier contract is pretty famous and it seems a lot of people that talk about Tampa re-signing Stamkos always mention in the very next breath that they will need to move one of their stars to do so. I'm assuming you guys would be most knowledgeable of your team's cap situation.

Stamkos seems to love it in Tampa and when people even consider him being traded anywhere, the only reason I can possibly think of why Tampa would ever let him walk is if they had to let him walk because of financial issues. If there's no issue with the cap, then I'm guessing there isn't even a doubt in the slightest whether he'll be wearing a Tampa jersey next season.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Riverbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Out of curiousity, what is Tampa's cap situation? I guess the Lecavalier contract is pretty famous and it seems a lot of people that talk about Tampa re-signing Stamkos always mention in the very next breath that they will need to move one of their stars to do so. I'm assuming you guys would be most knowledgeable of your team's cap situation.

Stamkos seems to love it in Tampa and when people even consider him being traded anywhere, the only reason I can possibly think of why Tampa would ever let him walk is if they had to let him walk because of financial issues. If there's no issue with the cap, then I'm guessing there isn't even a doubt in the slightest whether he'll be wearing a Tampa jersey next season.
Zero Cap issues. All throughout the off-season thread there are cap-geek numbers playing out every possible situation.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Hockeyfan02

I'll be shocked if he gets to July 1st without a contract. All indications are the deal is close to being done and I doubt Yzerman is going to mess around and let him potentially get an offer sheet.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:31 PM
HockeyCrazed101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbolt View Post
Zero Cap issues. All throughout the off-season thread there are cap-geek numbers playing out every possible situation.
Gotcha. I guess people think a big contract on a team automatically means cap issues when it comes time to sign another star player to a contract. In that case, I don't see why anyone should even bother to have an inkling of hope of grabbing Stamkos this off season, lol.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:45 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Gotcha. I guess people think a big contract on a team automatically means cap issues when it comes time to sign another star player to a contract. In that case, I don't see why anyone should even bother to have an inkling of hope of grabbing Stamkos this off season, lol.
It's just ridiculous rumors spread by people with nothing better to do and those that don't do their homework before commenting. Vinny's contract today is really no better than at least a dozen players on other teams. Toronto may have a ton of money in the bank and one of the wealthiest teams in the NHL but they're still restricted to the same cap as everyone else. There's no Yankees or Red Sox in the NHL that can spend at will, thankfully.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Bonesy99

So tampa is not operating with an internal cap? if that is the case then they are perfectly fine... Today was just nuts, really makes you wonder. If Tampa were to trade a player like Stamkos imagine the return. It would be insane...

Old
06-23-2011, 11:20 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesy99 View Post
So tampa is not operating with an internal cap? if that is the case then they are perfectly fine... Today was just nuts, really makes you wonder. If Tampa were to trade a player like Stamkos imagine the return. It would be insane...
If I remember correctly, last year Yzerman stated that they had an internal idea of how much they wanted to spend. This year, he's stated that they would spend to the cap if it was money well spent. I'm sure all teams operate the same way. Teams that spend wisely, win championships - others just tread water.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Rschmitz

I could see Stamkos going to Philly. For every young player under the age of 24 and every pick for the next decade.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:26 AM
LightningStrikes
He is back

On TSN.ca there was a video of an interview with Stamkos at the award show. He pretty much said they just started talking but he's confident it will get done "hopefully by next week".

Old
06-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Short answer: yes.

Though I was shaken by the Richards and Carter trades, you also have to remember that Stamkos is better than both those guys. He's probably top 3-5 in the league right now, 21 years old and only getting better. There's 0 chance SFY lets him walk/trades him because you simply won't be able to get a player of his caliber in return.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:04 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

In SFY I trust.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:06 AM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Quote:

If done right, counting the extra cap increase, we could conceivably keep:
Malone,
Gagne,
St. Louis,
Lecavalier,
Stamkos
AND Get Brad Richards. - This would take some crafty accounting on Yzerman's part.

From my understanding it looks like the Lightning would have to choose three of the following (while keeping the others):
Gagne, Richards, Stamkos, Malone.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:45 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
If done right, counting the extra cap increase, we could conceivably keep:
Malone,
Gagne,
St. Louis,
Lecavalier,
Stamkos
AND Get Brad Richards. - This would take some crafty accounting on Yzerman's part.

From my understanding it looks like the Lightning would have to choose three of the following (while keeping the others):
Gagne, Richards, Stamkos, Malone.

Brad Richards wants 8yrs $50-55m. No *** way that gets him to Tampa again. Also, we don't need another forward. Get us some upper 20s puck moving D please. Thank SFY for re-signing Brewer.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Damaged Goods

It's June 26, 2011. Why haven't you signed your Stamkos yet?

Personally, I am not optimistic this will drag long enough for him to get exposed on July 1st. But if there is still no deal after Tuesday or Wednesday, the anxiety level could start to change.

Closed Thread