HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The OFFICIAL Rumors From Non-Credible Sources thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Moen-Konopka-White had the potential to be a real 4th line that could help on the pk, start **** when we needed it, defend themselves and the rest of te team. Terrible management of Gauthier in that regard... Now get 2nd best please and sign one of Winchester, Jacques or Bolton.
Terrible management? Maybe not...

We all thought Konopka was going to be traded at the deadline...he wasn't.

I'd have to guess most of us though Konopka would have signed a longer deal at a higher salary since he was a UFA and is a proven character player with great faceoff abilities. Turns out he only signed a one year deal at only 700K.

We have to wonder if teams were really interested in him. It's either that, or Konopka really wanted to play for Ottawa since he was a 67's when he was playing in the OHL.

Anyways, I would have liked to have him in Montreal. At those terms, there's really nothing to lose, but I guess most teams are looking for more in a player.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Andy

Quote:
I still don't think the team is greatly improved over last year.
Sure that is your opinion, but what hototogisu is pointing out is that you whined for a month straight about how Gauthier would sit back and go with the same lineup as last season which is false.

You, yourself pointed that we needed a top 6 forward with size that finishes his checks and is strong on the wall and that is exactly what Gauthier did. So he did exactly the opposite of what you said he would do.

Quote:
I don't have to mea culpa to something that hasn't been proven yet.
He proved taht he wasn't sleeping, he addressed a need which many on this board(including you) complained about and said he wouldn't address. In fact in his media address, gauthier said getting a winger with size was a need and a priority, so not only did he address the issue, but also identified it, which you said on many occasions he wouldn't/couldn't do.

Quote:
At this point we are about where we were last year, IMO - which is battling for the last 2 playoff spots.
The Canadiens were never battling for the last two spots, this is
the biggest misconception ever. In fact, the Canadiens were one point out of 3rd place in March and only fell out of that race when Pacioretty got hurt. The Canadiens(aside from december) battled for 3rd the entire year until injuries caught up with them. Even at that, the Canadiens never dropped below 7th in the latter chunk of the season.

Quote:
I think WAS, PIT, BOS, TB, PHI and BUF have better overall clubs.
We'll see, I don't think it is that clear(outside of washington).

Old
07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Certainly a perfect fit, he is not physical !
The reality is this:

you win faceoffs-->you have the puck
you have the puck-->you don't need to be physical

So, let's sign a guy so we can go around chasing other teams after they win the faceoff? I mean, let's skip that step and just have the puck no?

Old
07-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
What about ryan johnson as our 4th line center. He is a beast in the faceoff dot (63%, best in the league)...he is a beast on the PK, perfect mix for the habs and he wouldnt cost much.
I didn't know he was that good on faceoffs. As a 4th line center I wouldn't have a problem with him.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I still don't think the team is greatly improved over last year.

I don't have to mea culpa to something that hasn't been proven yet.

At this point we are about where we were last year, IMO - which is battling for the last 2 playoff spots.

I think WAS, PIT, BOS, TB, PHI and BUF have better overall clubs.
Haha yeah I'm sure if we are improved over last year, you'll be the first to apologize. Instead of whining about some other aspect of our team that PG "slept on".

This kind of "no accountability criticism" that you and other posters engage in is so spineless and undignified I'd be personally be embarassed to be associated with it...but as you do.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:28 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Considering Toronto can't make the playoffs, they won 7 of 13 against the Bruins and won the season series against Pittsburgh, I doubt he's losing much sleep over some fans' need to feel like bigger men.

The only team on that list that gave the Habs anything they couldn't handle in the past 2 years was Philly. And before Holmgren went insane you could argue they were the best team in the NHL.
Boston showed what will happen every game if they decide to beat the crap out of Montreal's players.

We had suffered serious injuries to star players in games vs TOR and BOS in the last few years. Ditto with BUF. Those were pretty borderline hits. Would a tough guy have prevented that? Hard to say. Personally I would play a little less recklessly if I knew there was a chance I'd get my face caved in.

waffledave
Old
07-05-2011, 01:28 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Haha yeah I'm sure if we are improved over last year, you'll be the first to apologize. Instead of whining about some other aspect of our team that PG "slept on".

This kind of "no accountability criticism" that you and other posters engage in is so spineless and undignified I'd be personally be embarassed to be associated with it...but as you do.
Try not be overly dramatic... Spineless and undignified? Wow.

A prediction on NHL standings? Geez...

If they finish 4th next year I will say I was wrong. I don't have a problem with it.

I remember last year saying they would be battling for the 6th 7th and 8th spot and was criticized then as well, so I don't mind.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Exactly, we sign a guy to fight, the only one he ends up fighting is Thorton. Lucic and Chara will continue to play their shifts against our top lines, Lucic will continue to get angry and sucker punch after the whistle while our tough guy is sitting on the bench.

It doesn't prevent, or deter them from doing the crap they do.

Huh?

Laraque DEFINATELY was a factor that game against Lucy. He was INVISIBLE after all of that, and looked like he swallowed a bird.

Chara is SCARED of Laraque. He has NEVER wanted a piece.

This all being said, if we DO Ice an enforcer, I would hope he can play more. Laraque was an incredible talent before winding up here... When he first bust on the scene, I would have EASILY welcomed him with open arms. It's too bad that he believed so fiercely in the 'unwritten' codes... It was the only thing that kept Lucic from tasting teeth that night.

We DONT need an enforcer. WE DO need a policeman though...

I'd love to get Chris Neil (If he was available)

Last edited by hototogisu: 07-05-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: fixed yt's
Old
07-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Arnott will play on the 3rd line and he can play on the top6 if we have injury and he won't be paid 3,5 millions.

Kostitsyn-Arnott-Deharnais.
Then what do you do with Eller?

Old
07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post

Huh?

Laraque DEFINATELY was a factor that game against Lucy. He was INVISIBLE after all of that, and looked like he swallowed a bird.

This all being said, if we DO Ice an enforcer, I would hope he can play more. Laraque was an incredible talent before winding up here... When he first bust on the scene, I would have EASILY welcomed him with open arms. It's too bad that he believed so fiercely in the 'unwritten' codes... It was the only thing that kept Lucic from tasting teeth that night.

We also lost that game where laraque was chasing lucy.

Last edited by hototogisu: 07-05-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: fixed yt's
Old
07-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

To say that we're not improved is kind of brainless. Having Cole, Markov (hopefully), Gorges and Pacioretty for the beginning of the year clearly makes us a better team--there's shouldn't be a debate there. It's entirely possible that other teams have gotten better and we'll again fight for a playoff spot, but that's another discussion altogether. So far we've lost two key players from last year, Hamrlik and Wiz, and added at least 3 in Cole, Markov and Gorges.

So ask yourself this: Who would you rather have, Hammer and Wiz or Markov and Gorges?

Cole, with money for another solid bottom line forward or Pouliot, Halpern and Pyatt?

99 on 100 people will say the same thing...

Old
07-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Eller isn't going to be ready until after the season starts. When he IS ready, cross it when we get there... (There could very well be other injuries by that point.)

Old
07-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Did Lucic not score a goal in that game as well or am I completely imagining things?

Old
07-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
What about ryan johnson as our 4th line center. He is a beast in the faceoff dot (63%, best in the league)...he is a beast on the PK, perfect mix for the habs and he wouldnt cost much.
I wouldn't mind signing him in case Eller misses more time.

Old
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Did Lucic not score a goal in that game as well or am I completely imagining things?
A goal and an assist if I'm not mistaken.

The goal was the game winning goal btw.

Old
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
having Arnott centering the 3rd line is a better option than Eller or Deharnais for winning games.

Eller fight with Desharnais for the 3rd spot on the 3rd line, when we have a complete healthy line up. Which is problably 15 games a year maybe less

Old
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post

Huh?

Neil could be available. I mean, how many though guy Ottawa really needs? With Konopka and Carkner around, Neil could be expendable for a rebuilding team...

Old
07-05-2011, 01:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Try not be overly dramatic... Spineless and undignified? Wow.

A prediction on NHL standings? Geez...

If they finish 4th next year I will say I was wrong. I don't have a problem with it.

I remember last year saying they would be battling for the 6th 7th and 8th spot and was criticized then as well, so I don't mind.
The entire point of my first post was that you can start by admitting you were wrong about Gauthier and what the team would do on July 1st before making other fearless predicitons that you will undoubtably squirm out of later when the time comes to be accountable for them.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
To say that we're not improved is kind of brainless. Having Cole, Markov (hopefully), Gorges and Pacioretty for the beginning of the year clearly makes us a better team--there's shouldn't be a debate there. It's entirely possible that other teams have gotten better and we'll again fight for a playoff spot, but that's another discussion altogether. So far we've lost two key players from last year, Hamrlik and Wiz, and added at least 3 in Cole, Markov and Gorges.

So ask yourself this: Who would you rather have, Hammer and Wiz or Markov and Gorges?

Cole, with money for another solid bottom line forward or Pouliot, Halpern and Pyatt?

99 on 100 people will say the same thing...
I would rather have Gorges and Markov - but both these players are coming off major knee surgeries and that has to be accounted for. Markov has not played a full year in a while.

If everyone is healthy for the whole season (something that rarely happens with the Habs) then I think we are improved but I still don't think we have a top 4 team in this conference.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Boston showed what will happen every game if they decide to beat the crap out of Montreal's players.
That they'll win 8-6? Then why didn't they just play like that and sweep us in the playoffs?

Quote:
We had suffered serious injuries to star players in games vs TOR and BOS in the last few years. Ditto with BUF. Those were pretty borderline hits. Would a tough guy have prevented that? Hard to say. Personally I would play a little less recklessly if I knew there was a chance I'd get my face caved in.
Then I've got a tiger-repelling rock to sell you.

And if you think the hits that took out Markov were borderline, then it's even crazier that you think they can be prevented by a goon.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:40 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The entire point of my first post was that you can start by admitting you were wrong about Gauthier and what the team would do on July 1st before making other fearless predicitons that you will undoubtably squirm out of later when the time comes to be accountable for them.
If that was your point - you didn't make it because it's inaccurate.

I said the team would not be greatly improved on July 1st and adding Cole (whom I like a lot) does not greatly improve the team, IMO.

He's had 30 goals once in his career.

If you think the team is a Stanley Cup contender, you're entitled to your opinion.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
In what was the worst season in a LONG While...

Laraque chasing Lucy made LUCY a non-factor. He wasnt the one that beat us that game. Heck, he was so docile, his name might as well be Lucy (that game, at least).

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
He banged in a rebound...but he wasn't taking runs at anybody or trying to intimidate.

Old
AntonCH

I love this time of year
straight from vestiare's twitter feed

Voici des options intéressantes:

Il semble que Gauthier veux ajouter un autre joueur dans son top 6…. Bizarre…

Dans les derniers jours les noms de Malone(Cloun et DT), Fehr (Cloun) et Umberger sont revenus.

il semble que le CH soit aussi intéressé à Jason Chimera….y a-t-il un lien avec Eric Fehr? Est-ce que les 2 pourraient aboutir à MTL?

Coté UFA CH :

3e/4e trio le CH serait en discussion avec Steve Bernier, Mike Grier et Brad Winchester

Déf : O’Brien, Hannan

entertainment at its best

Old
07-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
He banged in a rebound...but he wasn't taking runs at anybody or trying to intimidate.
So, when the Bruins stuck to playing hockey they won the game?

Funny that...

Closed Thread