HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

WHA in danger

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Duff88

vCash: 500
WHA in danger

According to RDS.ca, the WHA could cancel it's activity if one of Toronto, Hamilton or Vancouver doesn't find an arena to play before Saturday.

04/07/28 L'AMH est en danger
La situation se corse au niveau de l'Association mondiale de hockey.
La saison 2004-2005 pourrait être annulée si une des équipes de Toronto, Hamilton ou Vancouver ne se trouve pas un domicile d'ici à samedi.

Aucun progrès n'a été fait au cours des derniers jours. Ça s'annonce plutôt mal pour ce nouveau circuit.

04/07/28 WHA is in danger
The situation is getting worse for the new World Hockey Association. The 2004-2005 season could be cancelled if one of Toronto, Hamilton or Vancouver doesn't find a home to play until Saturday.

No progress have been done over the last few days. Things aren't looking good for this new league.

---

It's not looking good...

Old
07-29-2004, 01:07 AM
Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
According to RDS.ca, the WHA could cancel it's activity if one of Toronto, Hamilton or Vancouver doesn't find an arena to play before Saturday.

04/07/28 L'AMH est en danger
La situation se corse au niveau de l'Association mondiale de hockey.
La saison 2004-2005 pourrait être annulée si une des équipes de Toronto, Hamilton ou Vancouver ne se trouve pas un domicile d'ici à samedi.

Aucun progrès n'a été fait au cours des derniers jours. Ça s'annonce plutôt mal pour ce nouveau circuit.

04/07/28 WHA is in danger
The situation is getting worse for the new World Hockey Association. The 2004-2005 season could be cancelled if one of Toronto, Hamilton or Vancouver doesn't find a home to play until Saturday.

No progress have been done over the last few days. Things aren't looking good for this new league.

---

It's not looking good...
True

Old
07-29-2004, 02:24 AM
Papa Smurf

Oh my God, what a shock! I never, in a million years saw that one comming! Oh, who would have know? Please excuse me while I sit down and try to adapt to this socking, unexpected news.........

.......Vancouver got the franchise!!!!??????

Uh, oh ya. Too bad about the WHA too.

Old
07-29-2004, 07:09 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Gee who'd of thunk it.

Old
07-29-2004, 08:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

This isn't new news.

Old
07-29-2004, 10:08 AM
symon

Yep, it's not look good for the WHL. Only few teams seem to be seriously on the way to have a team next year (Quebec, Detroit, Halifax...), many have no GM's or places to play next year.

It's just bad because a team like Quebec is very serious, but can't sign players until the league announce they will run next year for sure. Players want to be sure they will play next year, so some may prefer to join other minor leagues or europeans leagues.

Many players drafted by Quebec (some were interrested to play in the league) signed elsewhere. There is Simon Gamache who signed in Russia lately, Patrick Boileau in Switzerland, Mathieu Darche with Colorado Avalanche and Denis Hamel with Ottawa.

So we'll probably have to wait to have a professional team in Quebec

Old
07-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Papa Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon
Yep, it's not look good for the WHL. Only few teams seem to be seriously on the way to have a team next year (Quebec, Detroit, Halifax...), many have no GM's or places to play next year.

It's just bad because a team like Quebec is very serious, but can't sign players until the league announce they will run next year for sure. Players want to be sure they will play next year, so some may prefer to join other minor leagues or europeans leagues.

Many players drafted by Quebec (some were interrested to play in the league) signed elsewhere. There is Simon Gamache who signed in Russia lately, Patrick Boileau in Switzerland, Mathieu Darche with Colorado Avalanche and Denis Hamel with Ottawa.

So we'll probably have to wait to have a professional team in Quebec
I can see why Quebec wouls be anxious for this to succeed, seeing how their pther pro team had been snubbed from them.

Old
07-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_man
I can see why Quebec wouls be anxious for this to succeed, seeing how their pther pro team had been snubbed from them.
we've had a IHL team and then a AHL one and it did'nt work. I can't see why this one would work after the lock-out.

Old
07-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

I thought something like this would happen.

Old
07-29-2004, 02:50 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
we've had a IHL team and then a AHL one and it did'nt work. I can't see why this one would work after the lock-out.
Stick to the Q It is much better hockey, entertrainment and bang for the $$

Old
07-29-2004, 02:51 PM
symon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
About Quebec City, I think it's mostly a problem time after the NHL left the city. The Rafales in the IHL came too early after the Nordiques left, which was difficult to accept by fans. The games were not as good as NHL, but the identity was the main problem why it did'nt work to Quebec. Samething happened with the Citadelles, where we had Montreal's farm team where the betters players were always caled by the big club. Also, the rivalties were almost impossible in both cases.

They seemed to be in the good way, selectingonly local boys, which is good for the identity of the team. The 5 million franchise player rule may also have allowed to retain a star player. Even without a lock-out, I'm sure this league would have been much talented than former IHL or AHL, retaining much better players with higher salaries.

At least, we'll see. Still few more days until saturday, but I'm not very optimistic

Old
07-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Good things always seem to happen to good people

...Good job Bobby Boucher Hull...

Old
07-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
Stick to the Q It is much better hockey, entertrainment and bang for the $$
La-La-Laprise, I can't understand how you can make such statements before the league is even started. You keep on posting how you dislike the league, which is acceptable since you prove your points, but in that post I can't understand why you say that it's much better hockey...

Old
07-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon
They seemed to be in the good way, selectingonly local boys, which is good for the identity of the team. The 5 million franchise player rule may also have allowed to retain a star player. Even without a lock-out, I'm sure this league would have been much talented than former IHL or AHL, retaining much better players with higher salaries.

At least, we'll see. Still few more days until saturday, but I'm not very optimistic

To get a caliber much better than the AHL, they would have to fill the Colisée at 100% with ticket prices similar to what the Nordiques were asking. I'll be very surprise if it works.

Old
07-29-2004, 06:43 PM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
La-La-Laprise, I can't understand how you can make such statements before the league is even started. You keep on posting how you dislike the league, which is acceptable since you prove your points, but in that post I can't understand why you say that it's much better hockey...
I think what he's saying is QMJHL hockey is better than no hockey, which is what the WHA is looking like more and more.

Old
08-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Coco Crisp

Well the Toronto fanchise has a problem. The owner of the Toros has stated that he believes he is being shut out of negotiating a lease at Ricoh. Apparently those who own (lease) the arena will only negotiate with the Baby Leafs. So the Toros with no arena may be done before they even get started.

http://www.tsn.ca/wha/news_story.asp?id=93575

Closed Thread