HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Finally Tried NHL 2004....

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Finally Tried NHL 2004....

Wow that's ten dollars down the toilet. At least I didn't buy it for $50 though.

Every year their effort seems to get weaker and weaker. Every year the game just becomes more and more embarassing.

Just when they get the commentary right (NHL99) they switch it. Just when they get the graphics right {NHL 2001 or 2002) they switch it so that everyone now looks like they have down syndrome.

Those problems could at least lived with except for the fact that in order to play hockey you now need a controller with about 12 buttons on it. But even that won't save you from forwards who refuse to follow you into the offensive zone, who lose the puch whenever they get tapped and defenseman whose idea of checking an oncoming forward resembled a monkey trying to screw a football out there.

The fighting engine is much better, but what is up with those faces? They look like plastic sugery nightmares, stretches and worn.

For $10 I figured i'd give the franchise one last chance, but they've obviously lost their fast ball at this point.

One of of their two best franchises, the NHL series is a bad joke at this point.

Old
07-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
The 2K series by Sega has been the superior game BY FAR for years now. I was just waiting for it to transfer over to PS2 because that's what I have, and now it has for two years and in a few more months, they'll make it three.

Old
07-27-2004, 05:06 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
The 2K series by Sega has been the superior game BY FAR for years now. I was just waiting for it to transfer over to PS2 because that's what I have, and now it has for two years and in a few more months, they'll make it three.

Leetchie, I agree. I wish they's make one for PC! The games are more realistic. In EA, you can connect a pass from anywhere. The first time I played ESPN/Sega NHL, I was trying to use my EA skills and well, the automatic one timer wasn't so "automatic".

Old
07-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Synergy27

I dont really know if this is allowed here or not, but if youre interested there is a website: www.espnhockey.net that has forums where players and the actual game developers go to discuss whats good (and bad) about the 2K series. Pretty good stuff every once and awhile.

Old
07-27-2004, 11:49 PM
JJ68NYR

Wat ESPN NHL 2005 added is just unbelievable! The have in franchise mode a minor league system, you have to hire a coaching staff, scouts, goalie coach, minor league coaches. The really made the roster management better. They said they were gonna make the goalies better, they said at any point in your season you could send your scouts to a team and have them scout that team and come back and tell you players you should trade for and who you should trade to get those players BUT they also said if you higher a cheap scout you might not always get accurate information. They also said at the end of a season that you then send your scouts out to the rest of the world to scout for prospects. They said they come back with simple information of name, age, height, that stuff, You as the GM have to invite those prospects to a workout using the stuff they use for the skills competition for the all star game. Then the attributres would fill out. And then you could go as far as having a bunch of prospects from one country playing in a game to see who is the best. How unbelievable is this? Also once you draft a player you could send them to your minor league team and your minor league team plays while your season goes on.

**Now this is the one problem i had, they said you cant play your minor league games like you can in a game such as MVP Baseball. But you could still edit line to get certain players ice time.

I as an owner of every EA Sports NHL game for like the past 12 yrs and this past yr and ESPN owner views ESPN way better and thats based on last yr's game. This yr's game is a HUGE, HUGE upgrade!

Old
07-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I'll be getting both new ones this year.

NHL 2005 merely for online play, i find that fun. But AI play.. EHH horrible.

Its sad really that I'm getting ESPN too, which has both good online play and good AI play for a cheaper price.

Old
07-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Nemchinov13

Espn Nhl 2005

JJ68,

Will the ESPN 2k5 continue to use the point system as salary? I found it a little bit uncomfortable and difficult to use. All the features that you have described sound awesome, I just hope that they would fix that salary nuisance.

Old
07-28-2004, 01:40 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
SEGA ESPN Hockey has definitely been the best hockey series the past few years. I stayed away from EA for a while, but I did purchase 2004 after reviews said it was much improved, and it was a major dissapointment. ESPN 2k4 was a slight dissapointment compared with 2k3, but from what I've read of 2k5 it's gonna be the sickest hockey game ever. The franchise mode is really deep with the scouting of prospects, and being able to run them through evaluation tests and games. Plus with improved gameplay I really cannot wait for this game.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/533/533527p1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/...w_6103585.html
http://espnvideogames.com/nhl2k5/#screens

Old
07-28-2004, 03:39 AM
Edge

For 20 bucks, heck i'd give it a shot.

Old
07-28-2004, 11:40 AM
BLACKBURN

I hate all the clutching and grabbing. Just when you think your going to get a breakaway dave karpa (or someone else who is beyond slow) tugs you back from a huge distance and steals the puck It seems to have no flow, I bet Brett Hull hates the game as much as I do, its probably too realistic

Old
07-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
I hate all the clutching and grabbing. Just when you think your going to get a breakaway dave karpa (or someone else who is beyond slow) tugs you back from a huge distance and steals the puck It seems to have no flow, I bet Brett Hull hates the game as much as I do, its probably too realistic
That's a good point. I hate it when Don Sweeney skating backwards is faster than Pavel Bure skating forwards...

Old
07-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
im still waiting for a good "sim" style hockey game. even with the sliders adjusted for 2k4, it still moves end to end in about 3 seconds. i really want a game where you have the time and space to set up and use real hockey strategies. just a few examples of what i hate about hockey games right now...

does anyone use the dump and chase method to any success in these games? i might as well just hand the puck to the opponent, because they scoop it up and theyre gone into my zone in a few seconds.

id also like to see something done about the powerplay, despite being down a man, the AI never really seems in a PK mode, and to me it just seems like the ice is too small and you dont have enough time to set up a PP system. maybe its just me.

Old
07-28-2004, 02:04 PM
JJ68NYR

Well I had said that the only problem i had with one of the new features was that you cant play your minor league teams games during the season. Maybe in 2k6 they'll go out and find the information of who's minor league team belongs to who and get there jerseys and everything because then you'd have the AHL and NHL in one game and that would make ESPN hockey superior to any other hockey game.

Now that someone has brought up, the points is pretty dumb i think. They should just have the game have real money and they should have different budget systems setup, like a cap that you can adjust as one option, no budget system at all and its just free spending as the next option, and they should have a luxury tax. AND they should give each team the real amount of money they have in real life. For example the Rangers, Red Wings, and Leafs would have more money to use than a team like the Predators and Penguins because there in a bigger market place.

Old
07-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
That's a good point. I hate it when Don Sweeney skating backwards is faster than Pavel Bure skating forwards...
Well, that's pretty realistic in the current situation, isn't it?

Old
07-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille
Well, that's pretty realistic in the current situation, isn't it?
Yeah, I knew someone's gonna write that, hehe.

Replace Bure w/ Kapanen then. =^)

Old
07-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Edge

So what was your guys fav. hockey game. Maybe today it shows its age but at the time it really wowed you?

Mine was NHL 97.

Faces on the players, real goalie masks, the fighting system was pretty cool. It wasnt perfect but for the time it was awesome. Hockey games seem to be on same downward slope as the real nhl at this point.

Old
07-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Yorkie

Edge, Off-topic but are you still going to do part 2 of your draft review? I am looking forward to your thoughts on the rest of our picks.

Old
07-28-2004, 06:40 PM
neversummer

I love the EA NHL 2004. My favorite though is EA NHL '94. I love playing w/ the Whalers w/ Pronger, Buffalo w/ Mogilny and Lafontaine, Chicago w/ Roenick/chelios, Pitt w/ Lemiex/Jagr. Calgary w/ good w/ Fleury, Makarov, Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, Even Quebec w/ Sakic/Nolan......And of course NYR w/ Mess, Tikkanen, Amonte, Leetch, Richter, Nemchinov, Kovalev, Graves, Beukeboom, Weight, even Zubov, awesome!

Old
07-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Yizee*

I used to play NHL 94 for SNES alot - nothing really great about it but it was just a quick thing to do for fun. I dont think NHL 2004 is too bad. Trading and stuff needs to be worked on and alot of the out of game stuff as well. You guys should try Online play its really fun to play online but you need to upgrade your game to 1.04

Old
07-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie
Edge, Off-topic but are you still going to do part 2 of your draft review? I am looking forward to your thoughts on the rest of our picks.
I apologize for how long it is taking, it wasnt my attention to stretch it out.

I've been really busy working in politics here in Vegas for the past month or so, and i'm gearing up for my final stretch in law school {who'd have thunk i'd actually have to take a paycut coming out of law school}.

Eventually my goal is to get more involved in politics and leave sports behind {its been good to me, better than it is to many but I got tired of complaining about the people running the country and decided to actually do something about it}.

Old
07-28-2004, 08:42 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

I've been really busy working in politics here in Vegas for the past month or so, and i'm gearing up for my final stretch in law school {who'd have thunk i'd actually have to take a paycut coming out of law school}.

Eventually my goal is to get more involved in politics and leave sports behind {its been good to me, better than it is to many but I got tired of complaining about the people running the country and decided to actually do something about it}.
I thought you were in some kind of marketing position in hockey?

Old
07-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Yorkie

Quote:

That's funny I left a very lucrative job in the tech industry to go to law school two years ago (also taking a pay cut). This is my final year, I can't wait to finish and take the bar. I'm also trying to take a more active roll in politics, albeit from a different side of the aisle than you (I gather from reading some of your opinions on off-topic subjects). It is a good thing when young people become more active in shaping the policies of the country.

Old
07-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Kloucek's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer
I love the EA NHL 2004. My favorite though is EA NHL '94. I love playing w/ the Whalers w/ Pronger, Buffalo w/ Mogilny and Lafontaine, Chicago w/ Roenick/chelios, Pitt w/ Lemiex/Jagr. Calgary w/ good w/ Fleury, Makarov, Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, Even Quebec w/ Sakic/Nolan......And of course NYR w/ Mess, Tikkanen, Amonte, Leetch, Richter, Nemchinov, Kovalev, Graves, Beukeboom, Weight, even Zubov, awesome!
Obviously NHL 94 is the best ever. Even the music at the beginning is outstanding.
My friend and I still play it, I use Calgary because of Fleury and he uses Chicago because of Roenick.

Why can't I knock Roenick down???!! BAHHHH!!!

Old
07-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Petemo

IIRC Edge, no faces in 97...that was 98...but i cant remember perfectly clear.
there is a website devoted to the games - www.doubleminor.net good forums, been around a long while.

Old
07-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
So what was your guys fav. hockey game. Maybe today it shows its age but at the time it really wowed you?

Mine was NHL 97.
NHL 98. And of course 95 - the first one I played.

Closed Thread