HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Saw a glimpse of Hugh...

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Saw a glimpse of Hugh...

on MSG last night. Didn't catch what the piece was about as I was in a bar, but it featured him and Blackburn, for the most part. Hugh should go back to school and fill-out that frame. That kid has toothpick legs, which will do him no good in a pro game and only get himself hurt. Unless he's put on a good deal of muscle since that piece was done, this kid's lanky as all heck and isn't very muscular at all.

Old
07-29-2004, 11:18 AM
pld459666

I know that you saw what you saw, but

a few posters here have said that he's looked ripped recently.

Old
07-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
on MSG last night. Didn't catch what the piece was about as I was in a bar, but it featured him and Blackburn, for the most part. Hugh should go back to school and fill-out that frame. That kid has toothpick legs, which will do him no good in a pro game and only get himself hurt. Unless he's put on a good deal of muscle since that piece was done, this kid's lanky as all heck and isn't very muscular at all.
Shots were from last year.

From what I saw on draft day and some of the shots from camp, he filled up a lot this year and put on a ton of muscle.

Old
07-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
a few posters here have said that he's looked ripped recently.
C'mon pld, we're talking about something Fletch saw in a bar.. Fletch, in a bar.. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was the Yankee game on the TV, and Jessiman's "legs" were actually the swizzle sticks in his 8th Cap'n and Coke..

Old
07-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
C'mon pld, we're talking about something Fletch saw in a bar.. Fletch, in a bar.. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was the Yankee game on the TV, and Jessiman's "legs" were actually the swizzle sticks in his 8th Cap'n and Coke..

I think he should come to Hartford. I think he's pretty much gone as far as he can at Dartmouth. I'd like to see him start learning the system, and not have to worry about 3 guys hanging on his back for dear life. Let him become part of the team, and just improve over 2 years with the Pack, then he will probably be ready.

Old
07-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Fletch

Come to think of it...

I did see some pinstripes on the TV.

I had thought the footage was somewhat fresh because Blackburn was re-habbing his shoulder in a pool, but if the kid's cut and bigger, then that changes things somewhat. But I think he can still improve even at Dartmouth. Ain't no shame honing all parts of your game, as well as dominating a league, which he does not currently do.

Old
07-29-2004, 01:09 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Jessiman is ripped right now. He looks like a wrestler with his arms. He looks to be all muscle.

The reason he didn't dominate is that he was double or tripple teamed the whole game! That alone helped the team out since there was always a free player.

Old
07-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Edge

On the Rangers site in the archived photos there are pics from the minicap in early June.

They have two pics of Hugh, worth checking out.

Old
07-31-2004, 03:37 PM
MontanaTrout

As Edge says, he is ripped. And those shots from the Rs site were from two months ago. Has been training super hard since. He is heading to Cgary tomorrow in unreal shape. And believe me the Rs are pleased with his development. Going to be an exciting camp. H has repaid the Rs with a monster summer of training. Pity the barbells.

Old
07-31-2004, 03:50 PM
Fletch

I finally got a chance to look at the pictures...

and honestly, I only saw one, and he don't look like a monster at all. Still lanky as all heck and he needs to fill-out big time. The only good picture I saw was from the July 2-4 minicamp, something like the third or fourth picture. Helminen, while not big, does have beefy legs which could help him out a lot.

Old
07-31-2004, 04:44 PM
gkrangers

Helminen is a good, fast skater...

Old
07-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Edge

Quote:
and honestly, I only saw one, and he don't look like a monster at all. Still lanky as all heck and he needs to fill-out big time. The only good picture I saw was from the July 2-4 minicamp, something like the third or fourth picture. Helminen, while not big, does have beefy legs which could help him out a lot.

But keep in mind he is also 6'5, so its not like he's gonna be wide as a house with his size. The key is strength and conditioning, not necessarily muscle size. When you look at most hockey players out of their uniforms you see that they arent really very "big" so much as toned. Someone like Mark Messier being one of the exceptions.

I remember during an allstar game once, they showed Lindros without his jersey and equipment on and he looked fairly skinny, but he was upwards of 235 at the time.

I think what happens is that A. When we think of 230 pounds we think of someone pro wrestling size and B. We get psyched out by their equipment which makes them all look a lot bigger out there.

Old
07-31-2004, 05:17 PM
Synergy27

[QUOTE=Fletch]That kid has toothpick legs, which will do him no good in a pro game and only get himself hurt.QUOTE]

At 6'5" 220, the kid is still way above average NHL size. Jessiman is not bulking up to avoid injuries, he is doing so in an effort to maximize his power forward potential. I wouldn't worry about any injuries to the Huge Specimen, worry about him crashing the net and burying the puck.

Old
07-31-2004, 05:24 PM
Fletch

I saw a picture of Lindros...

waterskiing and he was absolutely huge in his upper-body. Hugh may be ripped, but he's still quite lanky and I can't tell you if there's much muscle mass. He looks like a skinny kid, unlike the 6'4"/6'5" Lindros who had a huge upper [and lower] body. Malhotra had a large upper and lower body, as did Kloucek, who was turning into a monster when I saw him when he was about 21. I just hope he fills out a bit more (being that he's only 20 and he's working hard, he very well may).

Old
07-31-2004, 07:48 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
waterskiing and he was absolutely huge in his upper-body. Hugh may be ripped, but he's still quite lanky and I can't tell you if there's much muscle mass. He looks like a skinny kid, unlike the 6'4"/6'5" Lindros who had a huge upper [and lower] body. Malhotra had a large upper and lower body, as did Kloucek, who was turning into a monster when I saw him when he was about 21. I just hope he fills out a bit more (being that he's only 20 and he's working hard, he very well may).
yea lets not forgot lindros is much older and is prolly one of the biggest players in the league. I think its kind of an unfair comparison to hugh who is still getting bigger and stronger everyday. If he keeps up with his work ethic he could become as big as lindros. but hes still very young.

Old
07-31-2004, 10:33 PM
Fletch

No so much comparing Hugh to Lindros...

just saying what I thought of Lindros in response to Edge. I thought the guy was huge, and not skinny at all.

Old
08-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Edge

But was it Lindros in his early 20's or fairly recently.

I can't for the life of me remember which allstar game it was {96 comes to mind}, so Lindros would have been 23 give or take.

At 225 i think the kid is on his way but there is def. still a ways to go. My guess is the weight itself will only increase to about 230-235 but the muscle mass should be higher.

Old
08-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Fletch

Fairly recent Edge...

I can't dispute what Jessiman will look like when fully-grown. Right now, I just think he's not too big and I didn't expect him to be huge at 20 years old. We'll see what he looks like as he gets older. I do have doubts that he's 6'5" 225 though. Primeau's 6'5" 220 and I believe Primeau's a bit wider.

I'm definitely making too much out of this, but it goes back to when I saw Lundmark in person three years ago. He was operating a booth on draft day and first, I though the 16 year old girl in the booth with him could kick his arse, and second, I thought he was a pimple-faced teenager with Lundmark's jersey. I scratched my head in disbelief that he was a NHLer, especially after seeing Manny and Kloucek who looked like men. I think size matters sometimes, and of course where the muscle is. Guys like York have good leverage and strong legs, so 5'9 185 isn't actually that small. Skinny guys who have trouble putting on muscle are a different story.

Closed Thread