HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So so so here we go: Are We Playoff Bound Now?

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2011, 05:37 PM
guitarist37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Most teams have 2 first line players and a guy that does the dirty work. Not many teams had a "thorton, marleau, heatley", and "Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom". Heck even Detroit only has "Datysuk and Zetterberg with Franzen more of a 2nd line guy).
well technically there is no more thorton marleu heatley

Old
07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Blah blah blah...

...what the hell are you doing on the Leafs forums, other than to troll?

And to be perfectly clear, I don't have the Leafs making the playoffs, so I'm not after you because I disagree with you. But I have better things to do than go to the Sens forums and tell them I also don't have them making the playoffs. Know your place.
He might simply be trying to have a civil (not with you, obviously) and intelligent discussion with other hockey fans, at the same time avoiding the inbreeding danger inherent of always staying on his team board.

By the way, if you really believe that he's trolling, all you have to do is ask for a moderator's opinion...

Old
07-11-2011, 07:40 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I'm having a really hard time imagining Reimer slumping so bad that we need to worry about him. I know it's just a thought but he seems to be to composed for that to be an issue. If that is the case and he drops in production a bit even, we will still most likely make the playoffs. Weren't we 4th in the East for the last half of last season or somewhere around there anyway?
Nope. They were 9th.

Second half standings:

New Jersey 28-10-3-59
Buffalo 25-11-5-55
Washington 25-11-5-55
Boston 24-13-4-52
Pittsburgh 23-13-5-51
Tampa Bay 22-13-6-50
Montreal 22-14-5-49
Philadelphia 21-13-7-49
Toronto 20-14-7-47
Carolina 20-16-5-45
Rangers 21-18-2-44
Islanders 17-18-6-40
Ottawa 16-21-4-36
Atlanta 14-21-6-34
Florida 11-20-10-32

PS: Buffalo before Washington and Montreal before Philadelphia because they had more wins, excluding shootouts.

Old
07-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
He might simply be trying to have a civil (not with you, obviously) and intelligent discussion with other hockey fans, at the same time avoiding the inbreeding danger inherent of always staying on his team board.

By the way, if you really believe that he's trolling, all you have to do is ask for a moderator's opinion...
Do you honestly feel his snarky first comment in this thread was the jumping off point for civil discussion? It reeked like he came here JUST to post that. That's my issue with it. Just poking his head in to make a crack. He didn't even support his point.

The general feeling I get from this place is that the main board mods sit back while people flame Leafs fans, and they even join in on things from time to time (a certain mod with a Sens logo for his avatar is a major culprit for this), while the Leafs board mods do a great job cleaning up the clutter on these boards but ultimately can't control people from other boards.

I've seen a lot of fans from other fanbases come in here and have civil discussions. I've engaged them in that. But my point is if you're going to come into our territory and insult our team, at least come here with some valid points instead of trying to stir the pot just for the sake of things, which is essentially trolling.

This will be my last post on the matter, I don't wish to throw this thread any further off-topic.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:21 PM
InTermsOf*

Quote:
Do you honestly feel his snarky first comment in this thread was the jumping off point for civil discussion? It reeked like he came here JUST to post that. That's my issue with it. Just poking his head in to make a crack. He didn't even support his point.

The general feeling I get from this place is that the main board mods sit back while people flame Leafs fans, and they even join in on things from time to time (a certain mod with a Sens logo for his avatar is a major culprit for this), while the Leafs board mods do a great job cleaning up the clutter on these boards but ultimately can't control people from other boards.

I've seen a lot of fans from other fanbases come in here and have civil discussions. I've engaged them in that. But my point is if you're going to come into our territory and insult our team, at least come here with some valid points instead of trying to stir the pot just for the sake of things, which is essentially trolling.

This will be my last post on the matter, I don't wish to throw this thread any further off-topic.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Most teams have 2 first line players and a guy that does the dirty work. Not many teams had a "thorton, marleau, heatley", and "Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom". Heck even Detroit only has "Datysuk and Zetterberg with Franzen more of a 2nd line guy).
we will get our stamkos...er...i mean tavares...err first liner soon..

im caustiously optimistic, im atm majorly looking at how the leaf's rookie goaltender reimer puts up in one season. How gustavsson fare this season and wil the chemistry of the KGM line last. Because bozie and kessel had great chemistry and then it just vanished next year when bozie disappeared so a lot of questions and ifs in the air. But as someone stated gut says hell yes, brain says NAAAA

Old
07-11-2011, 08:53 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

Not that I agree with everything you wrote, but thanks for taking the time to write it.

One thing I fully agree with: the Leafs moderators are probably the best on the Boards.

Mind you, I almost never visit the West teams boards, but I really think some other mods could ask for pointers.

How many brownie points (or get out of jail cards) will this post get me?

A over/under will suffice.

EDIT: What I like about the Leafs mods is that they don't have that knee-jerk reaction that some other mods have.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:33 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
I'm having a really hard time imagining Reimer slumping so bad that we need to worry about him. I know it's just a thought but he seems to be to composed for that to be an issue. If that is the case and he drops in production a bit even, we will still most likely make the playoffs. Weren't we 4th in the East for the last half of last season or somewhere around there anyway?
Reimer is a gem. If you go back and look at his stats he's never had a sub 900 save% since junior and he played on some god awfull teams. If this guy played on a half decent junior team and stayed healthy he would have been considered for the nat team hands down. He's only flown under the radar because of the the circumstances. I think he's going to be great next year

Old
07-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Griffski

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Nope. They were 9th.

Second half standings:

New Jersey 28-10-3-59
Buffalo 25-11-5-55
Washington 25-11-5-55
Boston 24-13-4-52
Pittsburgh 23-13-5-51
Tampa Bay 22-13-6-50
Montreal 22-14-5-49
Philadelphia 21-13-7-49
Toronto 20-14-7-47
Carolina 20-16-5-45
Rangers 21-18-2-44
Islanders 17-18-6-40
Ottawa 16-21-4-36
Atlanta 14-21-6-34
Florida 11-20-10-32

PS: Buffalo before Washington and Montreal before Philadelphia because they had more wins, excluding shootouts.
Can you get this same stat except after the all star break? Instead of second half. I remember burke saying something about ending the season as one of the top teams in the east, I think he referred to the all star break... can't remember.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:05 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

IMO us making the playoffs relies on 3 things...

1. Health. 2/3 of our top line (Lupul,Connolly) are injury prone. We can't stand to lose either for any long period of time, meaning they play at least 65 games, preferably into the 70s

2. Goaltending. Reimer needs to be clutch, as does Gustavsson or whoever plays the other chunk of games that Reimz doesnt play. Without good goaltending, we go nowhere.

3. Chemistry. How does everyone gel? Obviously the main one is Connolly with Kessel is the big one, but the defence gelling is important too, as is the third line, especially if Lombardi is healthy.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Griffski

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrKO28 View Post
IMO us making the playoffs relies on 3 things...

1. Health. 2/3 of our top line (Lupul,Connolly) are injury prone. We can't stand to lose either for any long period of time, meaning they play at least 65 games, preferably into the 70s

2. Goaltending. Reimer needs to be clutch, as does Gustavsson or whoever plays the other chunk of games that Reimz doesnt play. Without good goaltending, we go nowhere.

3. Chemistry. How does everyone gel? Obviously the main one is Connolly with Kessel is the big one, but the defence gelling is important too, as is the third line, especially if Lombardi is healthy.
Well, one nice thing is our second line has great chemistry. People underestimate Connolly when he is at his best, if he plays 70 games... I'm going to say it: Kessel breaks 40.

All in all you nailed it though. Chemistry won't be as big of a worry as the first 2 though. Dudes will all mesh great.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:22 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffski View Post
Well, one nice thing is our second line has great chemistry. People underestimate Connolly when he is at his best, if he plays 70 games... I'm going to say it: Kessel breaks 40.

All in all you nailed it though. Chemistry won't be as big of a worry as the first 2 though. Dudes will all mesh great.
I'm sure many people thought the same about Mogilny and Sundin. IIRC, they didn't mesh and actually played on different lines.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Too many variables have to fall in place.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:48 AM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
I'm sure many people thought the same about Mogilny and Sundin. IIRC, they didn't mesh and actually played on different lines.
Funny you say that. I don't think either Kessel or Sundin are highly compatible players. We spent Sundin's whole career trying to find a winger he would gel with...now we might spend Kessel's whole career trying to find a centre

Old
07-12-2011, 12:54 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
Funny you say that. I don't think either Kessel or Sundin are highly compatible players. We spent Sundin's whole career trying to find a winger he would gel with...now we might spend Kessel's whole career trying to find a centre
I agree with that, however finding a player to play with Kessel should, in theory, be easier than finding someone to play with Sundin.

Kessel needs someone with speed and that can set him up, but also finish, there are a good chunk of guys like that around, whether they are available or not is a different story.

Sundin needed another Sundin, but one that didn't like to hold onto the puck like he did. Not many guys like that. Roberts was one who could hold is own in that regard, and they fit together nicely.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:09 AM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
I agree with that, however finding a player to play with Kessel should, in theory, be easier than finding someone to play with Sundin.

Kessel needs someone with speed and that can set him up, but also finish, there are a good chunk of guys like that around, whether they are available or not is a different story.

Sundin needed another Sundin, but one that didn't like to hold onto the puck like he did. Not many guys like that. Roberts was one who could hold is own in that regard, and they fit together nicely.
Yeah, I think with Kessel 90% of the time he's gonna shoot and the other 10% he's going to set you up with a gimme. I think the perfect centre needs to finish those chances and also be smart enough to use Kessel as a pawn to score his own goals. That's something Bozak never had the confidence to do.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:20 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
Yeah, I think with Kessel 90% of the time he's gonna shoot and the other 10% he's going to set you up with a gimme. I think the perfect centre needs to finish those chances and also be smart enough to use Kessel as a pawn to score his own goals. That's something Bozak never had the confidence to do.
Agreed. Bozaks biggest problem was capitalizing on that 10%. My god, the times PK set him up....

Old
07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
I'm having a really hard time imagining Reimer slumping so bad that we need to worry about him.
Even if our goalies do go through some slumps, I don't see it affecting us too much as long as our D core can stay relatively healthy. Look how far average goaltending got the Wings / Flyers last year.

I believe both goalies will do well this season behind our solid D core, and they'll split the games close to 50/50, with the slight majority going to Reims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist37 View Post
Honestly i really think Lupul can get the job done. I dont think he is going to put up first liner numbers (which is how everyone here on HF classifies first liners) but he makes players around him better. Kessel was PPG playing with Lupul, even though Lupul was not ppg playing with kessel. He opens up lanes for him, is a dangerous enough player that other defencemen have to worry about him instead of focusing solely on Kessel. You can contribute on the play without actually touching the puck and getting a recorded assist. I think alot of people really overlook this and extrapolate lupul to get 50 pts and automatically label him a 2nd liner.

Just my opinion though.
Agreed, even if he doesn't put up the numbers (even if he, as I believe will easily surpass the 50 point mark), both him and Connolly are an offensive threat that opposing D cannot ignore (like they could with Crabb / Bozak on most nights) or they will make 'em pay. This alone will alone will give Kessel tons more ice to work with.

If last year proved anything about Kessel to me, it's that he's nearly as good of a passer as he is a sniper. If he gets double teamed, he WILL find the open man. And this time, he'll have better finishers. I can very easily see his line scoring 30+ more goals this season (assuming the line can stay healthy of course), which, even if the line is as bad defensively as they were last year, will see Kessel finish with a positive rating.

The fact that Connolly, Kessel and Lupul are all decent to great passers makes me eager to see how this line will click throughout the season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for who I to comsider locks for top 8 in the East, there are a few teams others may consider as "locks", for whom I could say that "Without that one player's repeat performance, I don't see them coasting through the season" (Thomas, Miller, St. Louis). At this stage, I would only consider the Caps and Pens as locks, everyone else is a wildcard (some with better chances than others obviously), but any other team missing the playoffs wouldn't surprise me too much). I think we have a reasonable chance to squeezing in, but so do a lot of teams, including even the Sens if Anderson has a lights out season.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:49 PM
TML4eva*

Bump-

Funny how most people thought that we wont make it to the playoffs, here we are in a playoffs spot.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:51 PM
DrkSideOfDaMoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Kadri View Post
Bump-

Funny how most people thought that we wont make it to the playoffs, here we are in a playoffs spot.
yup, here we are, wont last very long though.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:52 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Kadri View Post
Bump-

25 games to go, can this team handle the pressure, goalies dont look like they can.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:03 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

answer:

no

not if they keep playing like that.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:09 PM
number72

The schedule is harder in March.
The team has a lot of hard games to win and being .500 will be a challenge.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:11 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

old thread bump.

Closed Thread