HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So so so here we go: Are We Playoff Bound Now?

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Aplayaz2000

vCash: 500
i dont believe in that automatic playoff position crap
any team can drop the bomb
should focus more on our team more than others

i feel if what we have now is able to mold together
and if reimer plays like optimus

good things will happen

Old
07-04-2011, 03:52 PM
BrannigansLaw

This year I will finally say yes.

This all hinges on Reimer's ability to perform at a level near where he was last year consistently. Otherwise, no playoffs again.

Old
07-04-2011, 03:56 PM
goleafsgo87*

lol this is jokes. Philly will be 8th or 7th.

1. Washington.
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4.Toronto
5. Buffalo.
6. Nyr.
7.TB.
8.Philly.

Lets be more real here. When Reimer came we had the 3rd best nhl record. We had one of the best 2nd lines. Lupul was on pace for 25 to 30 goals if he was here the whole time. we added JML and Franson. Our pk will be better cause of TIM.C. We still have alot of cap space and can get a number one center and that would help our pp. Alot of you guys need to understand all of these new pick ups and what they mean. The leafs will be fine Our D is going to be deadly and i believe Reimer will play good again and we will score alot of goals we have balance scoring through 3 lines now. I believe we were 7th in the nhl last season for gfs without a number one center we missed the playoffs cause of the (princess) and Giggy and horrible pk and pp. The leafs will be fine and they will compete in the playoffs and i see them making it to round two. You guys can laugh but you have to take these into account. Hopefully what i said is true lol and im sure all leaf fans hope it works out this way lol but i honestly believe in my heart we will make it. i predicted since the new nhl we wont make the playoffs but this season coming up we will be there guys.

Old
07-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Kessley Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleafsgo87 View Post
lol this is jokes. Philly will be 8th or 7th.

1. Washington.
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4.Toronto
5. Buffalo.
6. Nyr.
7.TB.
8.Philly.

Lets be more real here. When Reimer came we had the 3rd best nhl record. We had one of the best 2nd lines. Lupul was on pace for 25 to 30 goals if he was here the whole time. we added JML and Franson. Our pk will be better cause of TIM.C. We still have alot of cap space and can get a number one center and that would help our pp. Alot of you guys need to understand all of these new pick ups and what they mean. The leafs will be fine Our D is going to be deadly and i believe Reimer will play good again and we will score alot of goals we have balance scoring through 3 lines now. I believe we were 7th in the nhl last season for gfs without a number one center we missed the playoffs cause of the (princess) and Giggy and horrible pk and pp. The leafs will be fine and they will compete in the playoffs and i see them making it to round two. You guys can laugh but you have to take these into account. Hopefully what i said is true lol and im sure all leaf fans hope it works out this way lol but i honestly believe in my heart we will make it. i predicted since the new nhl we wont make the playoffs but this season coming up we will be there guys.

Sigh....

Just remember last year we all thought Bozak would put up 55+ points and Gustavsson/Giguere would win 40+ games.

We need to relax expectations. Players will slump and not preform to what they did last year. It happens.

Old
07-04-2011, 04:02 PM
goleafsgo87*

lol i never said Bozak would put up 55 points i said he will be more of a 3rd line player. all of you leaf fans thought he was going to put that many points up lol not me but hes still young.

Old
07-04-2011, 04:04 PM
SteveV*

We have no players over 30 years old, which might be a first for a Leafs team.

Yes, we make the playoffs, we have to many players who are only getting better!

Old
07-04-2011, 04:05 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

to make your expectations the following players need to get injured for half the season:

miller
lundqvist
brad richards
roloson
st louis / lecavalier
briere /giroux
bryzgalov

it's nice that you think really highly of the leafs, but you're underrating other teams like crazy. you just ignored montreal and carolina, both have two of the best young goalies in the league...

Old
07-04-2011, 04:07 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Even if Reimer plays like he did, if our PP and PK stay putrid, we aren't going to make it.

Old
07-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
Even if Reimer plays like he did, if our PP and PK stay putrid, we aren't going to make it.
Clearly there were 3 things that cost us our season last year. PP, PK and Goaltending (in the first half).

Our recent acquisitions and coaching changes were made to address these 3 problems of which I believe we were successful.

We'll improve...by how much is the question.

Old
07-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Budsfan

Like Burke has said we have to win games and get points in the months ending in er and as we were bad last year in October, November and December and then we started winning especially when Reimer was given the #1 Goal Tending job.

I think we are going to get a better start this coming season and again it will come down to Goal tending and special teams with new coaches and players for the PP and PK.

Old
07-04-2011, 04:54 PM
67Cup

Good question. The Leafs have their best shot this year since the lockout, IMO. The east will be very competitive. Washington looks like a sure thing and it's hard to imagine Boston missing, even if they suffer a post Cup hangover. But with everyone else, it is possible to imagine them missing, if things go a bit wrong.

By contrast, things have to go right for the Leafs for them to make it. But at least the things that would have to go right are within the realms of realistic imagination rather than mere wishful thinking.

1. Reimer has to be the real thing, not the second coming of Andrew Raycroft or Jim Carey.
2. Like most other teams, they need to avoid crippling injuries. Everybody will have some injuries. The real questions are, how many, how long, to whom and is there depth to replace the losses. Only the last is even partially answerable before the season and for the first time in years, it looks as if the answer just might be "yes" for the Leafs.
3. The combination of a new coaching team and new arrivals have to put the Leafs into the top half of the special team ratings.... We'll see.
4. The number of players having good seasons has to be fairly high. Not everybody has to have a career year but most of the Leafs have to have good seasons by their standards.

I think Franson is an excellent addition. Connolly will be helpful if the stays healthy, It is reasonable to expect improvement from a number of the young players. All this add up to a reasonable shot at a playoff spot, IMO.

Old
07-04-2011, 05:01 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Three wildcards in Reimer, Connolly, and Lombardi make it impossible to predict but I do believe Reimer will at worst give us a chance

Old
07-04-2011, 05:03 PM
YesWeCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
do you think that we have what it takes to make the playoffs with this team?

yes / no?

why?

why not?

to me i'm only unsure about our Goaltending situation. i would much rather a good vet backup than The Monster in that position. if Gus fails like he did last year then all we have are unproven AHL goalies to take his place. i am confident that Burke will rectify this if something goes sour. needless to say i worry a little bit about Reimer's 2nd season.
Reimer and Gusto will be the deciding factor... if we get steady goealtending we can compete for the 8,7 and 6th spots imo

Old
07-04-2011, 05:04 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

We'll be competing for the 7+ spot like every year. I cant see us higher then that. If Reimer and Connolly both play well, we'll be in. If Reimer fails, not a chance, if Connolly fails, maybe.

Old
07-04-2011, 05:41 PM
calcal798

Burke needs to get another player that is a lock to score 30+ goals for our top six. Our defense is awesome, but there are too many question marks with our forwards before I think we'll make the playoffs.

He has the assets, he needs to use them to get someone that will make this team a top 8 team in the east.

Old
07-04-2011, 05:45 PM
pucky

No, won't make the playoffs again... not with this team.

Old
07-04-2011, 05:47 PM
pucky

"REAL top end talent but most of the time those type of guys aren't immediately available so you upgrade the rest of the team slowly until you get a shot at a true top six player...."

This is what I read on a Tor. Sun comment page. Really stuck with me.

Most of the top talents aren't immediately available but when they are, the Leafs are out of the sweepstakes.

When it's from a draft - the Leafs don't have the pick!

When it requires a trade - the Leafs don't have enough or talent at whatever position the other team wants

Either way, the Leafs always have a GM who has demolished the team so that they can pursue the top talents.

Burke did a great job acquiring mediocre and questionable talent:

C - Grabovski, Connolly, Kadri, Colborne/Bozak/Lombardi

RW - Kessel, Lupul, Armstrong, Orr/Brown/Frattin

LW - Kulemin, MacArthur, Rosehill, ????

D - Aulie/Phanuef, Schenn/Franson, Liles/Gunnarsson

The Leafs are exceptionally weak at the wings and have two concussion-afflicted players at Center.

I thought I should explain why I don't think they'll make the playoffs and my complaint with their management.

Old
07-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

same old song

Injuries, timely scoring and goaltending will tell the tail!

Old
07-04-2011, 05:51 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I think the team is 'just' good enough, but it's down to Reimer/Gusto in the end.

Old
07-04-2011, 05:52 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Though I'm content with the direction of the team right now, I don't believe that what we have this moment is playoff worthy. In fact, we're still pretty far from it.

I'd love to be proven wrong on that notion though :]

Old
07-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
"REAL top end talent but most of the time those type of guys aren't immediately available so you upgrade the rest of the team slowly until you get a shot at a true top six player...."

This is what I read on a Tor. Sun comment page. Really stuck with me.

Most of the top talents aren't immediately available but when they are, the Leafs are out of the sweepstakes.

When it's from a draft - the Leafs don't have the pick!

When it requires a trade - the Leafs don't have enough or talent at whatever position the other team wants

Either way, the Leafs always have a GM who has demolished the team so that they can pursue the top talents.

Burke did a great job acquiring mediocre and questionable talent:

C - Grabovski, Connolly, Kadri, Colborne/Bozak/Lombardi

RW - Kessel, Lupul, Armstrong, Orr/Brown/Frattin

LW - Kulemin, MacArthur, Rosehill, ????

D - Aulie/Phanuef, Schenn/Franson, Liles/Gunnarsson

The Leafs are exceptionally weak at the wings and have two concussion-afflicted players at Center.

I thought I should explain why I don't think they'll make the playoffs and my complaint with their management.
cup team winger scorers. Bozak is in for Lombardi for now.

62 points
53 points
41 points
43 points
41 points

Old
07-04-2011, 05:55 PM
deadp0ol

There are alot of ifs
-If reimer plays as good as last season
-If the leafs dont get shutout more than 4 times
-If the leaf forwards play defence, as the defencive core seems to be one of the best going into this season(again-_-)
-If the leafs put 1 or more extra puck in the net than the opponents more often than the 9th placed team

k i think im covered

Old
07-04-2011, 06:03 PM
unstuck

We've improved but unfortunately so has much of the Eastern Conference

Who made it last year that won't make it next year? MAYBE Philly if their new team takes longer then expected to gel? Boston, if plagued with SC Hangover?? Montreal, if their small size finally comes back to haunt them???

Washingon's improved, NYR have improved, Buffalo has improved... heck even the Islanders have a chance. NJ will probably make it.

I know it's depressing but I just can't think of who is going to drop the ball so that we squeek in

Old
07-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

I'm very sure we can make it.

I mean come in, if Nasheville can make #5 seed in the west with that top 6 (it's not better than ours, I'll tell you that much) than surely we have a chance atleast. Our defense is at the best, comparable with the Preds (now that we stole Franson from them).

If Conolly stays healthy and Reimer carries his play from last year to this year, I think we are in the playoffs.

Old
07-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

It will be extremely hard. There's almost 7 locks for a spot, you'll have a handful fighting for one spot.

Closed Thread