HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Eastern Conference Standings Predictions 2011-2012

Old
08-06-2011, 09:46 AM
IslesNorway

vCash: 500
Totally uneducated guess:

1 Washington
2 Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. Buffalo
6. Montreal
7. Islanders
8. Tampa Bay

9. New Jersey
10. Carolina
11. Rangers
12. Toronto
13. Winnipeg
14. Florida
15. Ottawa

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:10 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Pitt
Wash
Buffalo
Boston
Rags
Montreal
Tampa
Devs

Isles
Panthers
Canes
Leafs

Jets
Sens

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

I just don't see the Devils making it. That defense is horrid and has only one puck mover in Greene who isn't anything special. Also, they are way too top heavy with little depth after Parise, Kovalchuck, Elias and then Zajac. Maybe a rookie surprises like Tedenby and helps propel them into the playoffs but I just don't see it.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:07 PM
jerseyislander22

also have to put into account parise missing almost the whole year last year and Brodeur being older and getting injury bugs(past 3 years he had one brodeur season and two inury seasons along with some crap numbers) . I'd say the 8th spot could be very intresting this year...

jerseyislander22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:08 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
I just don't see the Devils making it. That defense is horrid and has only one puck mover in Greene who isn't anything special. Also, they are way too top heavy with little depth after Parise, Kovalchuck, Elias and then Zajac. Maybe a rookie surprises like Tedenby and helps propel them into the playoffs but I just don't see it.
The Devs do have a great new coach in DeBoer, and look for a better season out of Volchenkov. They also have a very physical team this year bringing back Janssen and still having Clarkson.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
The Devs do have a great new coach in DeBoer, and look for a better season out of Volchenkov. They also have a very physical team this year bringing back Janssen and still having Clarkson.
Isles had a physical team too last year

I'm not saying that they will be 13-15 but I'm thinking 10th or 11th. They are of the 5 teams that are the Islanders upcoming competiters for the playoffs along with Montreal, Carolina, Toronto and Philly.

Old
08-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Yeah their defense was horrid enough to lead the league in shots against last year.

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 02:24 PM
majormet

Quote:
Isles had a physical team too last year

I'm not saying that they will be 13-15 but I'm thinking 10th or 11th. They are of the 5 teams that are the Islanders upcoming competiters for the playoffs along with Montreal, Carolina, Toronto and Philly.
I actually consider the Rangers to be an up and coming team, hate to say that.

Devs were one of the best teams in the league for the 2nd half last year, John MacLean was maybe the worst coach ever in the league. I think they can build on this with DeBoer. Palmieri and Tedenby are very good young players that will both crack 40 points this year. I think they will stick around this season and acquire some dmen into the season.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
I actually consider the Rangers to be an up and coming team, hate to say that.

Devs were one of the best teams in the league for the 2nd half last year, John MacLean was maybe the worst coach ever in the league. I think they can build on this with DeBoer. Palmieri and Tedenby are very good young players that will both crack 40 points this year. I think they will stick around this season and acquire some dmen into the season.
I do too but will never see them as a serious threat.

They were sick towards the end last year but under Lemaire. How do we know DeBroer doesn't flop like MacLean? When the Islanders turned it around last year, it was under Capuano who remained as coach. Anyway, I did point out that with a good turnout by rookies they have a shot before but I just see a bunch of flaws as I pointed out earlier.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:10 AM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

This looks strange but I'm willing to bet the majority will finish as predicted. Here you are:

Tampa
WSH
PIT
BOS
BUF
NYI
NYR
PHI- (I honestly dont even think they make it.They are relying on Jagr to NOT mess up their locker room and score goals in the meantime. NOT HAPPENING! I think FLA grabs the 8 spot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Just as the thread title says. How do you think the teams will finish? We can revisit this in April 2012.

Washington-
Philly-
Boston-
Pitts-
Tampa-
Montreal-
Buffalo-
Rangers-
Carolina-
Toronto-
New Jersey-
Winnipeg-
Ottawa-
NYI-
Florida-

My Predictions:

1. Boston
2. Tampa (This slot hinges on Stamkos as he is still a RFA at this point)
3. Pitts (Winning the division will hinge on Crosby's health and his full recovery from concussion.)
4. Washington
5. Buffalo
6. Philly (They are lucky I slotted them 6th, but I could see them falling further)
7. Montreal
8. Islanders (Yes I went there)
9. Rangers
10. Ottawa
11. New Jersey (Don't see them making the playoffs)
12. Winnipeg (Don't see them making it either, but with an intense atmosphere and new city, could move up)
13. Toronto
14. Carolina
15. Florida (Bought and overpaid for a lot of pieces. I just don't see them coming together)

Okay everyone you got your mission, Eastern Conference standings for 2011-2012 season. GO....

TheGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:29 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderPride View Post
Tampa Bay
Washington
Pittsburgh
Philly
Boston
Buffalo
New Jersey
Islanders
Rangers
Montreal
Carolina
Toronto
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Florida
Division winner is automatically ahead of 2nd team in a division, no matter what the points. So if this is a playoff seeding, Washington has to slide to 4th and Philly to 5th. If it's a points ranking, never mind.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 01:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Philly
Washington
Pitt
Boston
TB
NJ
Buffalo
NYI
NYR
Montreal
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Carolina
Toronto
Florida

Philly has goaltending now....Jagr may score a ton or not but they're still a MUCH improved team. Washington has the goal scoring, Pitt has the pom poms of the NHL and Cindy, Boston just has a solid team, TB as well, NJ has their guys playing well from last year and may be the only one who could surprise as tops or bottom depending on coaching. The rest will be hard fought battles from 9-13.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
xIsle

Quote:
DeBoer a great new coach?? Why do you believe he is that great??

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 04:34 PM
StrongIslanders90

Man im so exited for the start of the seasoon....I just hopes its the 2nd half of last year islanders and not the first half....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 05:40 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Buffalo
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia (I see a big drop off after these 5 teams)
6. Tampa Bay (would not be surprised if they drop out of the playoffs though)
7. Montreal
8. Rangers
9. Islanders (I know 9th place sucks, but we improve, just miss out on the playoffs, but the league has seen that we are the team of the future)
10. Carolina
11. Toronto
12. Winnipeg
13. New Jersey (Really guys this team sucks, no goaltending, awful defense, and the center depth is pathetic(Bailey would be there #1 center right now with Zajac injured), and an unproven coach, the devils reign is completely over)
14. Florida
15. Ottawa (this team is bad, can't see them doing much this season)

Washington vs Buffalo in the ECF, Washington takes it in 7.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:07 AM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

I dont agree with a single pick of yours. WSH will not finish 1st, Pitt has major set backs in crosby,Philly is gonna suck (their centerpiece is Jagr and look at the avg age of this team. They are all role players with the exception of Danny Briere who isnt that great to begin with.) Tampa will be far better. I guess you didnt see them in the playoffs??? And MTL is finishing 7 huh? Tell me how???? The Islanders will finish either 6 or 7. It will be like the team we saw back in Peca and Yashins first years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Buffalo
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia (I see a big drop off after these 5 teams)
6. Tampa Bay (would not be surprised if they drop out of the playoffs though)
7. Montreal
8. Rangers
9. Islanders (I know 9th place sucks, but we improve, just miss out on the playoffs, but the league has seen that we are the team of the future)
10. Carolina
11. Toronto
12. Winnipeg
13. New Jersey (Really guys this team sucks, no goaltending, awful defense, and the center depth is pathetic(Bailey would be there #1 center right now with Zajac injured), and an unproven coach, the devils reign is completely over)
14. Florida
15. Ottawa (this team is bad, can't see them doing much this season)

Washington vs Buffalo in the ECF, Washington takes it in 7.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:20 AM
jerseyislander22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGOAT View Post
I dont agree with a single pick of yours. WSH will not finish 1st, Pitt has major set backs in crosby,Philly is gonna suck (their centerpiece is Jagr and look at the avg age of this team. They are all role players with the exception of Danny Briere who isnt that great to begin with.) Tampa will be far better. I guess you didnt see them in the playoffs??? And MTL is finishing 7 huh? Tell me how???? The Islanders will finish either 6 or 7. It will be like the team we saw back in Peca and Yashins first years.
R u in a joking mood?

I dont know why anyone think Phillys gonna suck tbh. There not necessarily better or worse after the trade there different. If Bryz doesn't fold under the philly market pressure they have an incredible goalie with an awesome defense in front of him. And all roleplayers look at there roster again... there top two centers giroux and Briere had 76 and 68 points respectively...

Just a quick look at his standings i'd say switch boston and buffalo then switch buffalo and tampa and its probably fairly spot on. Barring another year without Crosby and Malkin they will probably win the division.

Old
08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
I feel a bit dirty doing this since Philly's my team's biggest hated rival, but are you nuts?

Giroux, Hartnell and Briere are legitimate top line players, JVR is on the cusp of breaking out as one, and Voracek is similarly on the cusp of joining the former three. Add in a guy like Wayne Simmonds who can play a powerforward game and chip in near 20 goals, and potentially Brayden Schenn, and that's hardly "all roleplayers". I mean, the fact you didn't even list Giroux when talking about who they have with talent suggests you should probably watch a few more Flyer games. The guy is a stud.

On defense, they have arguably the best group in the entire league. If you don't believe Pronger, Timonen, Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros are an elite top five, then I don't know what to tell you.

Throw in the fact they now have a legitimate #1 goalie in Bryzgalov, and I don't think it's a stretch to say they'll be battling for the division title this year. And that's coming from a Penguins fan who is supposed to hate everything in black and orange.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:18 PM
jerseyislander22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I feel a bit dirty doing this since Philly's my team's biggest hated rival, but are you nuts?

Giroux, Hartnell and Briere are legitimate top line players, JVR is on the cusp of breaking out as one, and Voracek is similarly on the cusp of joining the former three. Add in a guy like Wayne Simmonds who can play a powerforward game and chip in near 20 goals, and potentially Brayden Schenn, and that's hardly "all roleplayers". I mean, the fact you didn't even list Giroux when talking about who they have with talent suggests you should probably watch a few more Flyer games. The guy is a stud.

On defense, they have arguably the best group in the entire league. If you don't believe Pronger, Timonen, Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros are an elite top five, then I don't know what to tell you.

Throw in the fact they now have a legitimate #1 goalie in Bryzgalov, and I don't think it's a stretch to say they'll be battling for the division title this year. And that's coming from a Penguins fan who is supposed to hate everything in black and orange.
Halloween must be a tough holiday for you guys

Old
08-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Veteran journeyman

Is it still cool to take a stab at this? I'll go with:

WAS -- Between the vastly improved goaltending and where I placed the other teams in the division, this team will feast.
BUF -- Don't think they're quite this good, but I think they'll pile up wins in their division.
PIT -- Crosby/Malkin may be in and out of the lineup, but in enough to get them third.
NYR -- Finally a first-line center. Rest of the team's good enough, and Hank is Hank.
BOS -- Seems like they're hot and cold during the season, or else I'd put them higher.
PHI -- Forwards took a hit this offseason, but with Bryz in net and that D, they're getting into the playoffs.
NJD -- Zach's back. They're either here or way at the bottom, I think. I'll go with here for now.
MTL -- This is the last year I think they'll get in with this squad. But they'll do it.
TBL -- Last year's Cinderella turns back into a pumpkin. Maybe not, but it's just a feeling.
CAR -- Maybe they're switched with MTL for the 8th spot. Just never know what to make of CAR.
NYI -- As long as the mediocre goalie carousel continues, I don't think this team will make the playoffs. It's the most important position.
TOR -- IF Reimer's a real number 1. IF Connolly stays healthy. IF Kulemin is really a 30g forward. IF Kadri is the player they believe they drafted. IF Grabovski has a good season. Lot of "ifs," but maybe a playoff team IF it all breaks right for them.
WPG -- They'll be good, I think. Maybe not this season though.
OTW -- They still have Alfie. Could be higher, but I don't think they're last.
FLA -- I don't get it. Solid prospects and a bright future. I like that they brought in vets so they don't have to rush the kids, but it's hard to find the top-line talent on this team, and their best and most important player by far is now playing for WAS.

I think 7-12 is a crapshoot.

Last edited by Veteran journeyman: 08-24-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Eliminated a double-negative that changed the entire meaning of a sentence.
Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
With the line up we have now - we better hope that our "core" decide to finally show up and start carrying there worth because if not then say hello to a top 5 pick again.

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:36 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I'll revise my predictions since I made my first before all of the big signings, trades, etc.

1. (We've seen what they can do without Sid and Malkin, now lets see what they can do with them)
2. (Vokoun proves to be an excellent mentor for Neuvirth and Holtby)
3. (Seguin scores 60+ points. Bergeron or Krejci become trade bait)
4. (Miller plays like he did in the Olympics, and the Sabres finish 1 point behind Boston)
5. (I actually think Richards and Gaborik will gel mid season, and both of their point totals are 65+)
6. (Price has a Veznia-caliber season. And he finally is added to the cast of Jersey shore)
7. (Jagr's point total is 60+. Van Riemsdyk finally breaks out, but tears his ACL partying)
8. (They added a very solid backup in Garon, not that he will be needed often )
9. (They miss the playoffs by 1 point. Again.)
10. (Brodeur suffers a career ending injury from Matt Cooke crashing the crease. Soon there are Youtube videos aplenty in which people re-create the event in NHL 12)
11. (If they get that top 4 dman, they can finish anywhere from 7-12)
12. (All of the signings they made in the beginning of FA actually work out)
13. (I have a feeling that Reimer will get injured early in the season and theLeafs falter. Suicide rates in Toronto increase tenfold)
14. (Pavelec can only save so much. E. Kane will be an interesting player to watch though.)
15. (The rebuild continues)

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:53 AM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

You are kidding right? Did you just say Hartnell deserves a spot on a top line? You have lost your mind buddy. All of the players you have mentioned earlier were made better by playing on lines whether it was just on the powerplay or regularly, with Mike Richards, and Jeff Carter. Now that they are gone, there is no centerpiece. O sorry thats right, you have Bryz and Wayne simmonds now oooooooo. It's very simple... You traded your captain and a top points producer in Jeff Carter, and acquired guys that have far less talent in Simmonds, Talbot, and Jagomir Jarg. Bryz was a good pickup, but I dont see how the team maintains chemistry from last season based on the fact that two of their top guys including their captain are gone. And to make things even better you brought a total enigma, nutcase in Jagr into the locker room. That guy is like a cancer. Therefore I say, you have no true players up front that have proven they can carry the team, but a damn good goalie. That, in the long run doesnt get you very much. I have nothing agianst the flyers, but getting Jagr showed just how stupid their ownership/gm is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

Old
08-25-2011, 07:58 AM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

Hank is Hank huh? Hank has a hell of a glove hand too doesnt he lol. I dont think I have ever seen him glove a high shot going for the upper part of the net. Down low he is pretty solid with those couch cushions, but up high he's swiss cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Is it still cool to take a stab at this? I'll go with:

WAS -- Between the vastly improved goaltending and where I placed the other teams in the division, this team will feast.
BUF -- Don't think they're quite this good, but I think they'll pile up wins in their division.
PIT -- Crosby/Malkin may be in and out of the lineup, but in enough to get them third.
NYR -- Finally a first-line center. Rest of the team's good enough, and Hank is Hank.BOS -- Seems like they're hot and cold during the season, or else I'd put them higher.
PHI -- Forwards took a hit this offseason, but with Bryz in net and that D, they're getting into the playoffs.
NJD -- Zach's back. They're either here or way at the bottom, I think. I'll go with here for now.
MTL -- This is the last year I think they'll get in with this squad. But they'll do it.
TBL -- Last year's Cinderella turns back into a pumpkin. Maybe not, but it's just a feeling.
CAR -- Maybe they're switched with MTL for the 8th spot. Just never know what to make of CAR.
NYI -- As long as the mediocre goalie carousel continues, I don't think this team will make the playoffs. It's the most important position.
TOR -- IF Reimer's a real number 1. IF Connolly stays healthy. IF Kulemin is really a 30g forward. IF Kadri is the player they believe they drafted. IF Grabovski has a good season. Lot of "ifs," but maybe a playoff team IF it all breaks right for them.
WPG -- They'll be good, I think. Maybe not this season though.
OTW -- They still have Alfie. Could be higher, but I don't think they're last.
FLA -- I don't get it. Solid prospects and a bright future. I like that they brought in vets so they don't have to rush the kids, but it's hard to find the top-line talent on this team, and their best and most important player by far is now playing for WAS.

I think 7-12 is a crapshoot.

Old
08-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Clyde Donovan

Quote:
You are kidding right? Did you just say Hartnell deserves a spot on a top line? You have lost your mind buddy. All of the players you have mentioned earlier were made better by playing on lines whether it was just on the powerplay or regularly, with Mike Richards, and Jeff Carter. Now that they are gone, there is no centerpiece. O sorry thats right, you have Bryz and Wayne simmonds now oooooooo. It's very simple... You traded your captain and a top points producer in Jeff Carter, and acquired guys that have far less talent in Simmonds, Talbot, and Jagomir Jarg. Bryz was a good pickup, but I dont see how the team maintains chemistry from last season based on the fact that two of their top guys including their captain are gone. And to make things even better you brought a total enigma, nutcase in Jagr into the locker room. That guy is like a cancer. Therefore I say, you have no true players up front that have proven they can carry the team, but a damn good goalie. That, in the long run doesnt get you very much. I have nothing agianst the flyers, but getting Jagr showed just how stupid their ownership/gm is.
If there is noone up front who can carry the team, why were Briere and Giroux the top two in points last year? I think you have trouble reading because that person said they were a PENGUINS fan.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote