HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber signed to a multi-year deal (2 years, $1.9m)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
  #26
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm pretty sure Gerbe's deal brings him up for his next contract with one year of RFA status left. A three-year deal for Weber takes him up to UFA.
You are correct on both counts, as long as Weber plays over 40 games in each of the next three seasons.
If he didn't play over 40 in one of the years, he'd be an RFA for an extra year because of his late birthday.

If he did play in 40 or more each year though, he'd have seven accrued seasons and therefore would become an unrestricted free agent.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
  #27
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Excellent news.

Prediction - 2 years /$1.25m per

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:35 AM
  #28
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 18,028
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Darcy workin' on the holiday.
Either that or Weber is throwing one helluva 4th party and needed some scratch for those keg deposits.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
  #29
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm pretty sure Gerbe's deal brings him up for his next contract with one year of RFA status left. A three-year deal for Weber takes him up to UFA.
Is that because Weber signed a professional contract earlier than Gerbe did?

I've never been clear on what the criteria are for determing when a player becomes an RFA vs. UFA, especially with the age for free agency lowering seemingly each year.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:47 AM
  #30
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Is that because Weber signed a professional contract earlier than Gerbe did?

I've never been clear on what the criteria are for determing when a player becomes an RFA vs. UFA, especially with the age for free agency lowering seemingly each year.
It's because Weber has four years of experience already, whereas Gerbe has three.

A player will be a restricted free agent if their contract has expired and they have less than seven seasons accrued experience (a season is 40 or more games played) or are less than 27 years of age as of June 30th of that year.
They also must be tendered a qualifying offer to be a restricted free agent.

Any restricted free agent that isn't tendered or any player that meets age or experience requirements will be an unrestricted free agent.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:49 AM
  #31
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!
 
SabresAreScaryGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,774
vCash: 500
I think he wants security, maybe he gets a 1 way deal and accepts a longer term?

Im going to say 4 years $4.2 million

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:50 AM
  #32
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It's because Weber has four years of experience already, whereas Gerbe has three.

A player will be a restricted free agent if their contract has expired and they have less than seven seasons accrued experience (a season is 40 or more games played) or are less than 27 years of age as of June 30th of that year.
They also must be tendered a qualifying offer to be a restricted free agent.

Any restricted free agent that isn't tendered or any player that meets age or experience requirements will be an unrestricted free agent.
But that is assuming that the next CBA has the same UFA qualifications as this one.

Only time will tell on that front........

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:53 AM
  #33
aaronr28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
now that the Sabres are closer to the cap, is there any reason to think a team might try to sign Gragnani to an offer sheet that would be difficult to match?

aaronr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:01 PM
  #34
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
But that is assuming that the next CBA has the same UFA qualifications as this one.

Only time will tell on that front........
Yes, of course, but I don't see any reason for them to change the free agency terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronr28 View Post
now that the Sabres are closer to the cap, is there any reason to think a team might try to sign Gragnani to an offer sheet that would be difficult to match?
It'd be a win-win for the Sabres if anyone offer-sheeted Gragnani.
If it's low enough (~$1m), the Sabres will just match.
Once it goes any higher than that (which is more than he deserves), they'll start to get compensation no lower than a 3rd round pick and the other team will probably be overpaying a player that is relatively unproven at the NHL level.

But, he's not really a candidate for an offer-sheet IMO.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:05 PM
  #35
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, of course, but I don't see any reason for them to change the free agency terms.
If the owners want another roll back, the NHLPA will want earlier and earlier UFA status in return in all likelihood.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
  #36
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
But, he's not really a candidate for an offer-sheet IMO.
For a guy with only 22 games of NHL experience - of which only 16 represented any kind of decent showing - he's not even on most teams' radars yet IMO. Just because he won the AHL defenseman award doesn't translate into him becoming a top NHL defender.

Enroth has a greater chance of being offer-sheeted - and the odds of that happening are slim to none IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:14 PM
  #37
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,164
vCash: 500
Sweet.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:16 PM
  #38
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
For a guy with only 22 games of NHL experience - of which only 16 represented any kind of decent showing - he's not even on most teams' radars yet IMO. Just because he won the AHL defenseman award doesn't translate into him becoming a top NHL defender.

Enroth has a greater chance of being offer-sheeted - and the odds of that happening are slim to none IMO.
With premier guys not getting offer sheets, I would be stunned if a guy like Enroth did.

Almost every team feels that they have a young goalie like Enroth, or better.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
  #39
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,675
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Darcy workin' on the holiday.
As is Weber.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Last edited by Chainshot: 07-04-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:33 PM
  #40
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
With premier guys not getting offer sheets, I would be stunned if a guy like Enroth did.

Almost every team feels that they have a young goalie like Enroth, or better.
Which is why I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Enroth has a greater chance of being offer-sheeted - and the odds of that happening are slim to none IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:42 PM
  #41
Havok89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
2 years 2.6 total would be my guess.
1.2 and 1.4

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:43 PM
  #42
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Great news! Congratulations To Iron Mike Weber, another Pittsburgh kid making his way in the big bad NHL.

And good for the Sabres too!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
  #43
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,127
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Great news! Congratulations To Iron Mike Weber, another Pittsburgh kid making his way in the big bad NHL.

And good for the Sabres too!
Buffalo's got Pittsburgh kid Weber and Pittsburgh has Buffalo kid Orpik. Both play a pretty similar style which is amusing to me because I always felt Pittsburgh and Buffalo have a lot in common as cities.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:03 PM
  #44
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Which is why I said:

Yeah, but I would have put Enroth as the least likely RFA to get an offer sheet because of the position.

I could see Gerbe (had he made it to 7/1 unsigned), Sekera, Gragnani, or Weber all getting offer sheeted before Enroth.

But, the odds of it happening to any Sabre this off season was next to nil.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:39 PM
  #45
Flophound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
I think he wants security, maybe he gets a 1 way deal and accepts a longer term?

Im going to say 4 years $4.2 million
Can someone explain to this old chunk of coal what the difference between a one and two way deal is?

Flophound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:49 PM
  #46
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Buffalo's got Pittsburgh kid Weber and Pittsburgh has Buffalo kid Orpik. Both play a pretty similar style which is amusing to me because I always felt Pittsburgh and Buffalo have a lot in common as cities.
Ha! That irony was not lost on me, either.

Not to be picky, but Orpik moved to Buffalo from San Fran when he was 10, so he's not a lifer like a Kane, but certainly one of your own.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:01 PM
  #47
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flophound View Post
Can someone explain to this old chunk of coal what the difference between a one and two way deal is?
Two way he can go to the ahl without clearing waivers, one way he must go through waivers and another team could claim him before he is sent down to the ahl. I'd be shocked if weber doesn't get a one way deal

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:16 PM
  #48
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Two way he can go to the ahl without clearing waivers, one way he must go through waivers and another team could claim him before he is sent down to the ahl. I'd be shocked if weber doesn't get a one way deal
that's not true, a 2way contract pays you more in the NHL than in the AHL and with a 1 way the player gets all of the money.

example: Grags had an NHL salary of 500 k but his AHL salary was 55k.


Waivers depends on how many games you played or something.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:21 PM
  #49
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Two way he can go to the ahl without clearing waivers, one way he must go through waivers and another team could claim him before he is sent down to the ahl. I'd be shocked if weber doesn't get a one way deal
That's actually not what the difference is and it's a pretty common misconception.

The difference between a one-way and a two-way contract is the salary.
For example, his previous contract was a two-way and he would have been paid $55,000 if he played in the AHL, but he played at the NHL level so he made $550,000.

Contract type does not determine waiver eligibility; age and experience does and the numbers vary from player to player depending on when they signed their first contract.

Weber's qualifying offer was a two-way deal, but I'd be surprised if his new contract isn't a one-way.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:38 PM
  #50
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, of course, but I don't see any reason for them to change the free agency terms.

It'd be a win-win for the Sabres if anyone offer-sheeted Gragnani.
If it's low enough (~$1m), the Sabres will just match.
Once it goes any higher than that (which is more than he deserves), they'll start to get compensation no lower than a 3rd round pick and the other team will probably be overpaying a player that is relatively unproven at the NHL level.

But, he's not really a candidate for an offer-sheet IMO.
I have as good a chance as getting an offer sheet as MAG. Why do people think this stuff?

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.