HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Are we currently, a BETTER PLAYOFF TEAM ??

View Poll Results: Is this a better playoff team ??
YES 39 27.27%
NO 57 39.86%
Not quite sure yet, need to see a few regular season games before I can decide 47 32.87%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2011, 11:11 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Carter wasn't Richards defensively, but he was still very, very, very good at it. We'll see that when we're going from Richards and Carter being given defensive tasks to Giroux and Briere/Schenn being given defensive tasks.
I know its been brought up a few times on this board by me, but its the main reason I want a veteran center for the 3rd line. (see Arnott). Giroux and Briere are not good defensively. Add a rookie center to the 3rd line and you have the recipe for some nightmare matchups as the season goes along. Who is going to win faceoffs for this team after Talbot if we go with Giroux,Briere,Schenn,Talbot. Nevermind how much trouble defensively we could end up being with that lineup. We are going to get killed again in the faceoff dot.
I am not saying that Arnott is the answer to all our problems for the 3rd line, but I would feel alot better having a guy like that anchoring the 3rd line then a rookie while talented would be asking alot to put unneeded pressure on him.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I know its been brought up a few times on this board by me, but its the main reason I want a veteran center for the 3rd line. (see Arnott). Giroux and Briere are not good defensively. Add a rookie center to the 3rd line and you have the recipe for some nightmare matchups as the season goes along. Who is going to win faceoffs for this team after Talbot if we go with Giroux,Briere,Schenn,Talbot. Nevermind how much trouble defensively we could end up being with that lineup. We are going to get killed again in the faceoff dot.
I am not saying that Arnott is the answer to all our problems for the 3rd line, but I would feel alot better having a guy like that anchoring the 3rd line then a rookie while talented would be asking alot to put unneeded pressure on him.
Giroux is good defensively. Better than Carter, but worse than Richards. And Jason Arnott will not help defensively.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Giroux is good defensively. Better than Carter, but worse than Richards. And Jason Arnott will not help defensively.
I wouldn't call Giroux better than Carter. Someday he may be, but right now he isn't

07-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I wouldn't call Giroux better than Carter. Someday he may be, but right now he isn't
Didn't Giroux take over Carter's spot on the PK? Or am I remembering it wrong.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
PKing and 5 on 5 defense are two totally different things. There is not nearly as much physicality and strength involved in penalty killing and there really isn't much opportunity to make use of good speed on the PK (though being a skilled skater is important). The benefit of having a longer stick and reach in general is also minimized on the PK relative to 5 on 5 play. All of these things are advantages Carter had over Giroux.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:59 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
So Richards holding Toews to only 3 points in the finals was meaningless?
I would say yes for the most part...

1. did we win?
2. how many points did richards get?

(also i really didnt buy into richards "beating" toews that series...i thought they were a good matchup, but at best it was a tie)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
PK is more about sound positioning. Giroux has gotten to the point where he can PK, which was great because it kept Carter off the PK.

I'd give the even strength advantage to Carter, but I believe that down the road Giroux will be at least as good as Carter, if not better.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:00 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
awesome avatar man.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Swiper the Fox

i'm shocked at how little confidence you flyers fans have in the new flyers team

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
i'm shocked at how little confidence you flyers fans have in the new flyers team

They need to earn that confidence.

Old
07-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
PK is more about sound positioning. Giroux has gotten to the point where he can PK, which was great because it kept Carter off the PK.

I'd give the even strength advantage to Carter, but I believe that down the road Giroux will be at least as good as Carter, if not better.
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I personally think Giroux right now a better defensive forward than Carter. Not by much, but I think Giroux has better awareness in the defensive zone, a more active stick, is a better forechecker, and is more useful in the corners/dirty areas than Carter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
awesome avatar man.
Thanks

Old
07-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I personally think Giroux right now a better defensive forward than Carter. Not by much, but I think Giroux has better awareness in the defensive zone, a more active stick, is a better forechecker, and is more useful in the corners/dirty areas than Carter.

Thanks
I can deal with that. Either way, he's pretty good in his own zone.

Old
07-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Jester

Quote:

It's difficult to be a strong defensive player when you use the midget stick that Giroux does. It's an advantage stick handling, but a liability in the defensive zone. More than a few forwards have had this problem, forsberg leaping immediately to mind... And, of course, Briere.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Jester

Quote:

Thanks
Well, the empirical data doesn't back that up. In fact, it suggests he isn't very good.

Old
07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
donnieb

Bryzgalov is here now big improvement, goalies were terrible last playoffs. Goaltending is better, Defence is the same and the forwards are the only question mark we still have 4- 20 goal scorers with Giroux, JVR, Briere, Hartnell. Now there are guys like Voracek, Simmonds, Jagr, Schenn who are all capable of doing it. Offense will still be one of the best with alot less pucks going in the net. The swap of Bryzgalov instead of Bryzgalove/Boucher immediately makes them a better playoff team.

donnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:50 PM
VanSciver

Quote:

Thanks
Giroux, while his effort and determination is always there, is just an average checker in the defensive zone in 5 on 5 play. He frequently loses checks or tries to do too much and get's out of position. But I fully expect him to get better and better in that regard as he get's older. Giroux for his size is a very competitive player in puck battles and wins more than his fair share. But overall Carter was clearly the better defensive checker, and Carter was underrated in the play along the wall.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 05:26 PM
infidelappel*

I'm reserving judgment until I see the product on the ice.

We could be better, we could be much worse. My initial reaction to everything is that we took a step back with our forwards defensively, and are counting on a lot of question marks.

However, Bryzgalov could make it much harder to put pucks in our own net playing behind the D that we have, so it may well offset.

But with so much up in the air, I'm just not speculating at this point. We shall see.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I'm reserving judgment until I see the product on the ice.

We could be better, we could be much worse. My initial reaction to everything is that we took a step back with our forwards defensively, and are counting on a lot of question marks.

However, Bryzgalov could make it much harder to put pucks in our own net playing behind the D that we have, so it may well offset.

But with so much up in the air, I'm just not speculating at this point. We shall see.
They are a solid 5-8 seed depending on how things shake out. A healthy Pens team should win the division. Then you have us, the Rangers and Devils all in the same basic ballpark... Decent teams that won't really be competing for anything big next year.

Right now, you have to like the Pens, Caps, Bruins, and Bolts as the top 4 in the East I think.

Old
07-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Your team will be better than last year because it is more balanced. There arent too many big stars anymore and everyone will know their role. Your defense remains, in my opinion, your strongest suit. Bryz has the heart of a champion and will be a leader on your club. Besides... even if you dont win this year or next, you are LOADED with ridiculous young talent. Well done by Homer.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Yoshimitsu

I see them falling somewhere between a #4 and a #7 seed. They probably don't take the division, but there's no reason to think they won't be a good team. Just how good depends on the progression of their young players; they'll need breakout years from guys like JVR and Voracek to replace some of what's been lost.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:51 PM
MsWoof

NJD were brutal for the first part of the season and fantastic in the second half, so assuming they get a good coach, they'll probably end up much better than last season.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
trigzter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
NJD were brutal for the first part of the season and fantastic in the second half, so assuming they get a good coach, they'll probably end up much better than last season.
A healthy Parise (if he stays) makes them much more dangerous.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Have to wonder if Brodeur's starting to slow down though, not to mention they're defense is still shaky. It'll definitely be interesting to see how that team does. I'd be a bit surprised if they don't hire Hitch actually.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:02 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Couldn't be worse than last year, right?
No. It couldn't. This past year's playoff "run" was a disgrace and demanded a dismantling.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I have to chuckle at those saying Carter is "very very good" defensively as if they have spent hour after hour isolating on him, watching him perform his shutdown craft.

He's better than Briere. That's about it.

As for the thread topic, the Flyers probably aren't a better team. Richards and Carter left big shoes to fill.

If the Flyers can stay healthy in net and at the blueline, they should be better at keeping the puck out of their own net.

The wildcard is the power play, which was an atrocity for long stretches last year. If the Flyers can find some combinations that work, that alone will have a huge impact.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote