HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign Brad Richards Part 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2011, 11:29 AM
  #76
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
What does it matter if he wears 19? A Number is meaningless. Its really stupid to cry about what number a player picks.
Clearly you're not superstitious. As an athlete, I always was. I don't want him touching a number that has that kind of recent history.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
  #77
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,488
vCash: 500
I'm curious...I see plenty of people saying that the contract for Richards is too long (well, that's probably fair) and too much money.

I guess they mean the whole dollar amount of the contract, but why does anyone really care about that? I don't quite get that...functionally for the Rangers he costs them $6.67 mill per year.

Is he really "worth" that much less? Is it just the principal of paying a guy a lot of money up front that gets people all upset, or do they really think that a cap hit of $6.67 mill for Richards is just too much to pay?

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
  #78
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm curious...I see plenty of people saying that the contract for Richards is too long (well, that's probably fair) and too much money.

I guess they mean the whole dollar amount of the contract, but why does anyone really care about that? I don't quite get that...functionally for the Rangers he costs them $6.67 mill per year.

Is he really "worth" that much less? Is it just the principal of paying a guy a lot of money up front that gets people all upset, or do they really think that a cap hit of $6.67 mill for Richards is just too much to pay?
He's clearly worth 6.67/year now. The worry is that he has a drurious decline and is a shell of his former self after say year 4 when he's about 35. A buyout would be catastrophic cap wise with 5 years left on the deal. Granted, that's worst case, but even if you need to buy him out after 5 years, you're still looking at a nasty hit. Personally I think it's overblown, as I expect him to perform well into his mid thirties, but you really never know.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
  #79
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm curious...I see plenty of people saying that the contract for Richards is too long (well, that's probably fair) and too much money.

I guess they mean the whole dollar amount of the contract, but why does anyone really care about that? I don't quite get that...functionally for the Rangers he costs them $6.67 mill per year.

Is he really "worth" that much less? Is it just the principal of paying a guy a lot of money up front that gets people all upset, or do they really think that a cap hit of $6.67 mill for Richards is just too much to pay?
I think a lot of this boils down to skepticism that people seem to have over us giving ANYONE a big long term contract. People apparently think that this contract will hang around our necks and keep us from being good in the later years of it. Fortunately, I'd say with very low salaries in the final years, a buyout would probably come fairly cheap.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
  #80
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
He's clearly worth 6.67/year now. The worry is that he has a drurious decline and is a shell of his former self after say year 4 when he's about 35. A buyout would be catastrophic cap wise with 5 years left on the deal. Granted, that's worst case, but even if you need to buy him out after 5 years, you're still looking at a nasty hit. Personally I think it's overblown, as I expect him to perform well into his mid thirties, but you really never know.
I can't imagine him declining quite that quickly, knock on wood. I'd say we'll probably get good production out of him until he's 37 or so. And after that point, is the buyout really that bad?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:16 PM
  #81
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think a lot of this boils down to skepticism that people seem to have over us giving ANYONE a big long term contract. People apparently think that this contract will hang around our necks and keep us from being good in the later years of it. Fortunately, I'd say with very low salaries in the final years, a buyout would probably come fairly cheap.
the issue for us is the cap hit, not the actually $$. if you buyout a player with a 6.67 mil cap hit, then the buyout cap hit is the same. regardless of whether the player is actually being paid $1 mil or $12 mil in that season. the lower salary just means the player gets less $$ in the buyout.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:27 PM
  #82
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I can't blame Sather for signing Richards. I don't think I have to, most people in here seem ecstatic about the signing.

My view on it? Richards has a need to fill, sure. Like so many teams, we lack(ed) a #1 center. How well he does it, is a whole other thing. I don't see Richards as a team carrying type. He's not the key sort you win cups with, not if he's supposed to be on the front line. How is he going to gel with Gaborik? A comfort is, Torts knows exactly what he gets here. That's a big comfort actually, he should know how to put Richards in game situations where he excels. Very good cap hit considering he's UFA, bad years, but you always have to overpay somewhere for an UFA.

I'm hesitant about this signing. Did his concussion hamper his performance level? Carefully positive, you might say. I hope for the best, but expect the worst. But hey, it's not like I go over this thing, like I did with the Fumblez and Dreary signings. Richards is actually a legit 1st liner, that's a comfort.

Just don't hype the expectations on him into fantasy.
We already have a player who carries this team. I think this signing will just make his job easier, which is never a bad thing.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:36 PM
  #83
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I can't imagine him declining quite that quickly, knock on wood. I'd say we'll probably get good production out of him until he's 37 or so. And after that point, is the buyout really that bad?
If we need to buy him out after year 7 what would the cap hit be? He'd have two years left counting 13.33M towards the cap. If it's 2/3 the cap hit over twice the years are we talking about a 2.2M hit for 4 years?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
  #84
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Clearly you're not superstitious. As an athlete, I always was. I don't want him touching a number that has that kind of recent history.
and clearly, you think this will actually affect his performance in some way

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
  #85
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If we need to buy him out after year 7 what would the cap hit be? He'd have two years left counting 13.33M towards the cap. If it's 2/3 the cap hit over twice the years are we talking about a 2.2M hit for 4 years?
yeah. not sure if it would be an even 2.2m each year. or like drury it would be more 1 year and less another. but thats 2.2*4 would be the total cap hit over the 4 years. (barring changes to the buyout process in the new cba)

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:48 PM
  #86
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Clearly you're not superstitious. As an athlete, I always was. I don't want him touching a number that has that kind of recent history.
I am no fan of Gomez either, but that's kind of silly. Prust wearing Malik's "8" didn't have any sort of superstitious effect on him. Ozolinsh was a disaster as a Ranger and wore "24," turned out fine for Callahan. To each his own, I guess...

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:07 PM
  #87
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Anyone put any stock into this CORSI crap?

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2011/...-brad-richards

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
  #88
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,120
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/#!/BRichards_1991

Just got a tour of the Transformation of MSG!!! Gonna be a great place to play.
__________

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:43 PM
  #89
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
http://twitter.com/#!/BRichards_1991

Just got a tour of the Transformation of MSG!!! Gonna be a great place to play.
__________
Any updates on how the renovations are going? Any new photos? I know we had a thread but I dont feel like looking for it.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
  #90
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,489
vCash: 500
I don't care about the MSG transformation unless it includes improving the quality of the ice DRAMATICALLY!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
  #91
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I don't care about the MSG transformation unless it includes improving the quality of the ice DRAMATICALLY!
That's all nice but I'd still like to see some pictures if anyone has any.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
  #92
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Is there a press conference schedule at all?

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
  #93
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
Is there a press conference schedule at all?
no...

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM
  #94
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,847
vCash: 500
Richards will speak to the media tomorrow.

Quote:
Brad Richards will be at MSG Training Facility tomorrow for Garden of Dreams event (not open to public). Will chat with him there.
https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...95889310973952

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:44 PM
  #95
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Anyone put any stock into this CORSI crap?

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2011/...-brad-richards
No. It's a bunch of garbage. Metrics do not work in the NHL, as it is much more of a team game than an individual game compared to baseball (where they work very well).

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:51 PM
  #96
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Richards will speak to the media tomorrow.



https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...95889310973952
I just want to see him put on the rangers sweater.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
  #97
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,883
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Kinda funny, remember that pick of Zach Randolph, Scott Gomez, and Chris Drury? Ironically enough a few years later they're all gone

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
  #98
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,847
vCash: 500
http://yfrog.com/z/h8tis8j

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
  #99
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,120
vCash: 500
Nice hat, Brad. lawl

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
  #100
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!
 
Ruotsalainen29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I just want to see him put on the rangers sweater.
Close enough?

thenyrangers New York Rangers
PHOTO: @BRichards_1991 for the 1st time in his #NYR jersey visits his new home @msgnyc! http://yfrog.com/h8tis8j



Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.