HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign Brad Richards Part 2

Old
07-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
What does it matter if he wears 19? A Number is meaningless. Its really stupid to cry about what number a player picks.
Clearly you're not superstitious. As an athlete, I always was. I don't want him touching a number that has that kind of recent history.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Levitate

I'm curious...I see plenty of people saying that the contract for Richards is too long (well, that's probably fair) and too much money.

I guess they mean the whole dollar amount of the contract, but why does anyone really care about that? I don't quite get that...functionally for the Rangers he costs them $6.67 mill per year.

Is he really "worth" that much less? Is it just the principal of paying a guy a lot of money up front that gets people all upset, or do they really think that a cap hit of $6.67 mill for Richards is just too much to pay?

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm curious...I see plenty of people saying that the contract for Richards is too long (well, that's probably fair) and too much money.

I guess they mean the whole dollar amount of the contract, but why does anyone really care about that? I don't quite get that...functionally for the Rangers he costs them $6.67 mill per year.

Is he really "worth" that much less? Is it just the principal of paying a guy a lot of money up front that gets people all upset, or do they really think that a cap hit of $6.67 mill for Richards is just too much to pay?
He's clearly worth 6.67/year now. The worry is that he has a drurious decline and is a shell of his former self after say year 4 when he's about 35. A buyout would be catastrophic cap wise with 5 years left on the deal. Granted, that's worst case, but even if you need to buy him out after 5 years, you're still looking at a nasty hit. Personally I think it's overblown, as I expect him to perform well into his mid thirties, but you really never know.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

I think a lot of this boils down to skepticism that people seem to have over us giving ANYONE a big long term contract. People apparently think that this contract will hang around our necks and keep us from being good in the later years of it. Fortunately, I'd say with very low salaries in the final years, a buyout would probably come fairly cheap.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
He's clearly worth 6.67/year now. The worry is that he has a drurious decline and is a shell of his former self after say year 4 when he's about 35. A buyout would be catastrophic cap wise with 5 years left on the deal. Granted, that's worst case, but even if you need to buy him out after 5 years, you're still looking at a nasty hit. Personally I think it's overblown, as I expect him to perform well into his mid thirties, but you really never know.
I can't imagine him declining quite that quickly, knock on wood. I'd say we'll probably get good production out of him until he's 37 or so. And after that point, is the buyout really that bad?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:16 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think a lot of this boils down to skepticism that people seem to have over us giving ANYONE a big long term contract. People apparently think that this contract will hang around our necks and keep us from being good in the later years of it. Fortunately, I'd say with very low salaries in the final years, a buyout would probably come fairly cheap.
the issue for us is the cap hit, not the actually $$. if you buyout a player with a 6.67 mil cap hit, then the buyout cap hit is the same. regardless of whether the player is actually being paid $1 mil or $12 mil in that season. the lower salary just means the player gets less $$ in the buyout.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:27 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I can't blame Sather for signing Richards. I don't think I have to, most people in here seem ecstatic about the signing.

My view on it? Richards has a need to fill, sure. Like so many teams, we lack(ed) a #1 center. How well he does it, is a whole other thing. I don't see Richards as a team carrying type. He's not the key sort you win cups with, not if he's supposed to be on the front line. How is he going to gel with Gaborik? A comfort is, Torts knows exactly what he gets here. That's a big comfort actually, he should know how to put Richards in game situations where he excels. Very good cap hit considering he's UFA, bad years, but you always have to overpay somewhere for an UFA.

I'm hesitant about this signing. Did his concussion hamper his performance level? Carefully positive, you might say. I hope for the best, but expect the worst. But hey, it's not like I go over this thing, like I did with the Fumblez and Dreary signings. Richards is actually a legit 1st liner, that's a comfort.

Just don't hype the expectations on him into fantasy.
We already have a player who carries this team. I think this signing will just make his job easier, which is never a bad thing.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:36 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I can't imagine him declining quite that quickly, knock on wood. I'd say we'll probably get good production out of him until he's 37 or so. And after that point, is the buyout really that bad?
If we need to buy him out after year 7 what would the cap hit be? He'd have two years left counting 13.33M towards the cap. If it's 2/3 the cap hit over twice the years are we talking about a 2.2M hit for 4 years?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Clearly you're not superstitious. As an athlete, I always was. I don't want him touching a number that has that kind of recent history.
and clearly, you think this will actually affect his performance in some way

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If we need to buy him out after year 7 what would the cap hit be? He'd have two years left counting 13.33M towards the cap. If it's 2/3 the cap hit over twice the years are we talking about a 2.2M hit for 4 years?
yeah. not sure if it would be an even 2.2m each year. or like drury it would be more 1 year and less another. but thats 2.2*4 would be the total cap hit over the 4 years. (barring changes to the buyout process in the new cba)

Old
07-05-2011, 12:48 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I am no fan of Gomez either, but that's kind of silly. Prust wearing Malik's "8" didn't have any sort of superstitious effect on him. Ozolinsh was a disaster as a Ranger and wore "24," turned out fine for Callahan. To each his own, I guess...

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:07 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Anyone put any stock into this CORSI crap?

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2011/...-brad-richards

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

http://twitter.com/#!/BRichards_1991

Just got a tour of the Transformation of MSG!!! Gonna be a great place to play.

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:43 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
http://twitter.com/#!/BRichards_1991

Just got a tour of the Transformation of MSG!!! Gonna be a great place to play.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
pwoz

I don't care about the MSG transformation unless it includes improving the quality of the ice DRAMATICALLY!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I don't care about the MSG transformation unless it includes improving the quality of the ice DRAMATICALLY!
That's all nice but I'd still like to see some pictures if anyone has any.

Old
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Is there a press conference schedule at all?

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
Is there a press conference schedule at all?
no...

Old
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Richards will speak to the media tomorrow.

Quote:
Brad Richards will be at MSG Training Facility tomorrow for Garden of Dreams event (not open to public). Will chat with him there.
https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...95889310973952

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Anyone put any stock into this CORSI crap?

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2011/...-brad-richards
No. It's a bunch of garbage. Metrics do not work in the NHL, as it is much more of a team game than an individual game compared to baseball (where they work very well).

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Richards will speak to the media tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...95889310973952
I just want to see him put on the rangers sweater.

Old
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Kinda funny, remember that pick of Zach Randolph, Scott Gomez, and Chris Drury? Ironically enough a few years later they're all gone

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

http://yfrog.com/z/h8tis8j

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Nice hat, Brad. lawl

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I just want to see him put on the rangers sweater.
Close enough?

thenyrangers New York Rangers
PHOTO: @BRichards_1991 for the 1st time in his #NYR jersey visits his new home @msgnyc! http://yfrog.com/h8tis8j

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote