HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles-Habs

Old
07-04-2011, 04:49 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

vCash: 500
Isles-Habs

acquire
Scott Gomez
Jarred Tinordi

acquire
Josh Bailey
2012 3rd round pick, that could become a second if Gomez gets at least 55 points

I know Gomez's salary is gigantic, but throw in a giant (6'7) d-man prospect that the Isles would like and they would consider taking it
Also I do think Gomez has something left in the tank

The Habs get a fresh young center in Josh Bailey and what could become a high draft pick if Gomez does well on Long Island

Flame away....

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:52 PM
NewEraGM

Lower the draft pick and maybe throw in a 3rd or 2nd from Habs POV. Then its a done deal!

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
**** that.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Hemlor

although the Habs would be interested in trading Gomez's contract, I don't see them sacrificing a young, highly regarded prospect. They are not in salary cap trouble so I don't think they are feeling the pressure to get rid of that contract. I could see them doing something like this if they have a trade (or signing) that would require them to shed salary.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:58 PM
AidanPhalen13*

i think Tinordi is a bit overrated and Bailey has much more potential. But i guess Gomez evens it out

AidanPhalen13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
although the Habs would be interested in trading Gomez's contract, I don't see them sacrificing a young, highly regarded prospect. They are not in salary cap trouble so I don't think they are feeling the pressure to get rid of that contract. I could see them doing something like this if they have a trade (or signing) that would require them to shed salary.
That's how I feel as well. As much as everyone likes to **** on Gomez, the Habs still need him until Eller or Desharnais are able to step up to the 2C spot. I think they still need at least a year, so I don't think Gomez is going anywhere, at least for now.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:04 PM
kasper11

Scott Gomez scored ten more points than Josh Bailey last year. Bailey is ten years younger and will cost at least $5,000,000 less.

Therefore, value wise, Bailey >>>>>> Gomez.

Tinordi, a good but not great prospect, hardly makes up for the difference in value.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:14 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I don't have much faith in Bailey, he certainly wouldn't replace Gomez as our second line center. We're not rebuilding, so this move is lateral. Move Gomez next year when Eller and Desharnais are ready for more ice time, or mid-season if they prove ready by then. Gomez might actually fetch something at the deadline.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

If Bailey were good on the draw, I'd do it without thinking twice. Unfortunately, he's not.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:32 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
acquire
Scott Gomez
Jarred Tinordi

acquire
Josh Bailey
2012 3rd round pick, that could become a second if Gomez gets at least 55 points

I know Gomez's salary is gigantic, but throw in a giant (6'7) d-man prospect that the Isles would like and they would consider taking it
Also I do think Gomez has something left in the tank

The Habs get a fresh young center in Josh Bailey and what could become a high draft pick if Gomez does well on Long Island

Flame away....
Scott Gomez?? Are you kidding?? No ****in way from the Isles!!!

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Hugo Sham

i know you're 'parroting' nash/To deal ..but habs say no.
we're not in a position to be giving up a piece like tinordi
for a salary dump that becomes very palatable after this year

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

No Tinordi in the trade..we've given up Mcdonagh already and we all saw what he can do in the NHL. I expect Tinordi to become our best shutdown defenseman within 3-4 years. He's going to replace Hal Gill and I hope he can be a better version of Mike Komisarek with more offensive upside.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
No Tinordi in the trade..we've given up Mcdonagh already and we all saw what he can do in the NHL. I expect Tinordi to become our best shutdown defenseman within 3-4 years. He's going to replace Hal Gill and I hope he can be a better version of Mike Komisarek with more offensive upside.
It'll be interesting to see what Tinordi does this year in London, his second in the OHL, and what kind of strides he makes from his rookie season. I'll put it down to adjusting to a new league/team, but he did not impress me at all when I saw him play for London. The only reason I even noticed him out on the ice was because of his size.

As for the actual trade ... eh, I don't think it really does much for either team. The Habs are trying to win now (or at least, they're not in rebuild mode) and need a player who can center their second line. Gomez, at this point in time (stress this part), is a better option at 2C than Bailey is. While the Isles are still building, and even still, I'm not sure Gomez is the kind of player that fits what they need (they're actually decent down the middle -- another legitimate top six winger is more what they need).

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
That's how I feel as well. As much as everyone likes to **** on Gomez, the Habs still need him until Eller or Desharnais are able to step up to the 2C spot. I think they still need at least a year, so I don't think Gomez is going anywhere, at least for now.
The problem we have is if Eller or Desharnais surpass Gomez, then his value becomes even worse than it already is. Gomez is about as close to negative as a player could possibly get. If he puts up anything below 45 points this coming season. Our only options are to bury him in the minors or accept garbage on our roster. I cannot imagine any team touching him after two years of complete failure at his salary. If there ever was an option to move him, then it has to be considered.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Pi

From a neutral standpoint. Do the Islanders want to contend? Why take Scott Gomez's contract just for a prospect in return and give up a player in Bailey who could be a great 2nd line center in the making?

You guys have enough prospects in De Haan, Hamonic, Strome, Nino. If anything we'll give you Mike Komisarek..for a 7th round pick

Think of us too.

As for Hab fans, doesn't Gomez' salary drop below the cap hit after this year?

It would suck to lose McDonagh and Tinordi just to get and lose Gomez, if you stick with him for a year you might not have to add anything.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Joannie9

Anytime from a habs point of view !

Joannie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:54 PM
FanHabtic

Why wouldn't the Habs just waive Gomez to the AHL and keep Tinordi?

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:10 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
**** that.
This. Gomez sucks.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Why wouldn't the Habs just waive Gomez to the AHL and keep Tinordi?
Or just keep Tinordi and Gomez considering the lack of an actual replacement for him and the lack of need for the cap space right now.

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Halifaxhab*

Unless there is a replacement player that fills that cap space, all this deal does is give us empty cap space and one less top prospect. As nice as it would be to get a young player like Bailey...is he ready for 2nd line duties in Montreal?

And to all other Habs fans, we need to resign ourselves to another year of Gomez, and hope beyond reasonable hope that he can return to a + player with 50 pts this year...then trade his sorry ass or buy him out during the free time between CBAs that gives teams a chance to buyout players with out any cap reprecussions...

sigh. Gomez

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Islander Prophet

I wouldn't do this

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:47 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Or just keep Tinordi and Gomez considering the lack of an actual replacement for him and the lack of need for the cap space right now.
Exactly. If Gomez has another dismal season he will be waived to the AHL next season. He has this coming season to prove his value.

There is no point in the Habs sweetening a deal with Tinordi just to ditch Gomez's contract when there is not suitable replacement for the cap-dollars.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Zeroknowledge*

From the Habs pov I'd do this but I'd be worried of Gomez rejuvenating, if placed with a sniper like Tavares on the power play he could easily get 60 points.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:51 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
From the Habs pov I'd do this but I'd be worried of Gomez rejuvenating, if placed with a sniper like Tavares on the power play he could easily get 60 points.
And what would we do with the cap-space this coming season? Why not ditch Gomez next offseason (waive him to the AHL) and keep the promising Tinordi?