HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we currently, a BETTER PLAYOFF TEAM ??

View Poll Results: Is this a better playoff team ??
YES 39 27.27%
NO 57 39.86%
Not quite sure yet, need to see a few regular season games before I can decide 47 32.87%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Swiper the Fox

vCash: 500
Are we currently, a BETTER PLAYOFF TEAM ??

Just a small poll wondering what you think regarding playoff performance of this
'new' team

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Well, the goaltending could not be worse, that's for sure. I still think the loss of Pronger was a big factor in the playoff fiasco. If the defense is healthy, I think the team can do decent. However, I do not have as much faith in this year's forwards as last year.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
mm6492

Our centers are gonna have trouble matching up with most teams, ESPECIALLY the Penguins

Crosby vs Giroux
Malkin vs Briere
Stall vs Schenn

That could get ugly.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:40 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Our centers are gonna have trouble matching up with most teams, ESPECIALLY the Penguins

Crosby vs Giroux
Malkin vs Briere
Stall vs Schenn

That could get ugly.
Match ups are getting overrated. When Crosby is on the ice, it's going to be Pronger's responsibility more than it would have been Richards's.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:40 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post

Crosby vs Giroux
Malkin vs Briere
Stall vs Schenn

That could get ugly.
The lack of defensive forwards in the top 6 is going to make guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and Kovalchuk very, very happy too.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:41 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Match ups are getting overrated. When Crosby is on the ice, it's going to be Pronger's responsibility more than it would have been Richards's.
Except that it was Carter who matched up extremely well with Crosby and took him out of a number of scoring opportunities. Not Pronger.

At this point in time, we don't know when Pronger will be playing his first game either.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
So Richards holding Toews to only 3 points in the finals was meaningless?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:44 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

This poll makes the bold assumption that the current Flyers are even a playoff team to begin with.

07-04-2011, 11:44 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
The lack of defensive forwards in the top 6 is going to make guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and Kovalchuk very, very happy too.
Correct. And the lack of someone that can win a damn faceoff....and getting rid of one of the best PKrs in the league....and still not having anyone that can stand in the damn front of the net on the PP (unless they put JVR in this role but rather not beat him up that much).

Oh, and the fact that we traded a proven playoff performer for a guy that hasnt played in the NHL yet and a 3rd liner doesnt help.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:45 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Your underrating matchups alot.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:45 AM
smacklby

I voted yes; but that considers everything, including the Flyers future, given the draft picks and prospects, like Schenn and Couturier whose progression to full potential will take a few years or more.

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:52 AM
BernieParent

** USUAL DISCLAIMER: This poster and, by extension, entire Flyers forum in no way assume that their team will make it into the postseason, and all projections are hitherto for amusement, conversational, and speculative purposes only. We assume no responsibility for wagers (either monetary or self-imagery) lost further to actions taken based on these projections. **

As much as Carter has been a relative non-factor to date in his playoff career, the prospect of having him healthy and Richards in the postseason surpasses Schenn/Simmonds/Voracek, though the immense upgrade in nets (on paper) moves the level back in the right direction.

I do, however, like the Flyers' chances of making it to the third round, even with the significant improvements in teams like the Capitals, Sabres, Rangers and (to a lesser extent) Canadiens. Pittsburgh (given a healthy Crosby and Malkin) and, of course, Boston will more than be in the mix, too.

To go deeper than this past season, the following need to happen:
  • Pronger and Timonen stay healthy
  • Bryzgalov steals a game per round
  • Two of Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek step up to provide secondary scoring
  • Jagr contributes significantly

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:54 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
The most recent example of match ups proving to be an important component to a playoff series is the Stanley Cup Final. Boston destroyed the Canucks on home ice because they dictated the match ups from each faceoff; the games were closed in Vancouver because Boston had to adjust on the fly.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:55 AM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
As much as Carter has been a relative non-factor to date in his playoff career, the prospect of having him healthy and Richards in the postseason surpasses Schenn/Simmonds/Voracek, though the immense upgrade in nets (on paper) moves the level back in the right direction.

I do, however, like the Flyers' chances of making it to the third round, even with the significant improvements in teams like the Capitals, Sabres, Rangers and (to a lesser extent) Canadiens. Pittsburgh (given a healthy Crosby and Malkin) and, of course, Boston will more than be in the mix, too.

• Jagr contributes
JVR must be the 35 goals scorers we lost in Carter too... I think he can...

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:56 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
** USUAL DISCLAIMER: This poster and, by extension, entire Flyers forum in no way assume that their team will make it into the postseason, and all projections are hitherto for amusement, conversational, and speculative purposes only. We assume no responsibility for wagers (either monetary or self-imagery) lost further to actions taken based on these projections. **

Bryz couldnt steal a game last year....just saying

Old
07-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Phileeguy
Take it, Lou.

Quote:
  • Jagr contributes
That sounds about right to me. I'd also add that they need to not go up against whoever next year's Tim Thomas is (who could very well be TT again), but you can pretty much say that any year.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:57 AM
smacklby

Quote:

nice post; what about Couturier? do you think he makes the team, and if so how much of an impact player will he be in his first season?

Old
07-04-2011, 11:58 AM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
That sounds about right to me. I'd also add that they need to not go up against whoever next year's Tim Thomas is (who could very well be TT again), but you can pretty much say that any year.
lol..... that avitar is hilarious!

Old
07-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

What's the over/under on how many times we hear the phrase "work in progress," this year?

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Its not like these guys could do any worse shutting down Crosby...

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:03 PM
trigzter

jeeze people need to move on. our team is still pretty solid, but no one knows what will happen till the puck drops.

Mark your calendars for Oct 15th (Kings) and Nov 5th (Columbus). Standing ovations will follow.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:04 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
JVR must be the 35 goals scorers we lost in Carter too... I think he can...
I thought of adding points on JvR and Giroux still showing what they brought to last year's playoffs, but tried to stay brief. You make a good point on JvR, though. I don't know if he will be able to hit 35 goals. I'd project between 26 and 30 goals for JvR this season, hopefully on a line with Giroux and Jagr. Hopefully, the season will show that I was woefully pessimistic!

Old
07-04-2011, 12:07 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Bryz couldnt steal a game last year....just saying
Even if he had, it would have been felony - grand larceny for the Coyotes to have been competitive against the Red Wings. (yes, I saw your winkie)

Old
07-04-2011, 12:09 PM
decadentia

The consensus seemed to be we were a goalie away from a Cup/true contention again with our team before.

Now some people wonder if we'll make the playoffs, or out of the first round.

There are far more questions now than there were before, we're certainly not better right now.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:10 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post
nice post; what about Couturier? do you think he makes the team, and if so how much of an impact player will he be in his first season?
I'm hoping he doesn't for the reason that everyone else is working out wonderfully, and there wouldn't be a need to rush him to the big league. Now, if Couturier forced his way onto the squad through amazing play ... I try to stay neutral and usually end up on the pessimistic side of things, so I would expect that he doesn't make a run for the Calder if he does crack the line-up.