HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Off-season Thread Part III (pre-season schedule w/TV in #472)

Old
08-26-2011, 12:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
The Couture extension could be good news for a new JVR contract?
The Giroux signing was good news for us looking at JVR's future extension.

The Couture signing is GREAT news for us looking at JVR's future extension.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:57 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
The Couture extension could be good news for a new JVR contract?
This should be good news as it sets a basis of comparison for JVR's next contract. Couture really gave the Sharks a good deal there, he left at least $750k on the table.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

I'll just leave this here.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:02 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
****ing awesome. I wish they would have included the new guys in the highlights at the end, though.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

That's a good video.

08-26-2011, 05:09 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Great video. It has been a while since I felt pumped to see the Flyers play again.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Terence Peterman

Love all the footage from the Cup final.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Flyerfan808

Depending on the season he has, any chance we could flip Andreas Nodl + pick at the TDL for an upgrade to our third line?

P.A Parenteau
Nick Foligno
Mikkel Boedker
Blake Geoffrion
David Moss

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:28 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Depending on the season he has, any chance we could flip Andreas Nodl + pick at the TDL for an upgrade to our third line?

P.A Parenteau
Nick Foligno
Mikkel Boedker
Blake Geoffrion
David Moss
Or, how about Nodl plays well on the third line with Schenn and Simmonds and we keep him.

I think this is one guy not to give up on. His hands started coming around last year and he was scoring goal scorer type goals. He has the skills to be a 15 to 20 goal scorer with a great defensive game. Why trade him if he can play exemplary defense and chip in with goals? And to be honest, I don't think any of the guys listed are better than Andreas.......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:56 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Or, how about Nodl plays well on the third line with Schenn and Simmonds and we keep him.

I think this is one guy not to give up on. His hands started coming around last year and he was scoring goal scorer type goals. He has the skills to be a 15 to 20 goal scorer with a great defensive game. Why trade him if he can play exemplary defense and chip in with goals? And to be honest, I don't think any of the guys listed are better than Andreas.......
nodl reminds me a lot of dupuis. solid defensively an can score some goals but just when you think he turned the corner to be a consistent 15-20 goal scorer he'll go a month w/o a goal.

it may be nice to have guys in the bottom 6 pushing each other for time (holmstrom, nodl, sestito, read)

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

Depending on how well he plays... obviously.

Trade deadline gives us time to access that. I could be wrong about this; wasn't most of his point production from last year was generated from playing with Mike Richards? I have my doubts about him being able to be a 15-20 goal guy this season, we will see. Also, I feel like the players I've listed are either lateral moves for guys with more potential, or decent upgrades.

Old
08-27-2011, 01:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I was thinking of making a poll, but I decided against it. Who do you guys think will get the first goal of the season? Or you could also answer, who do you want to get the first goal of the season?

Honestly, I would LOVE it if Schenn or JVR got the first goal.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Terence Peterman

Nodl had one bat**** crazy run last year and that was it. Afterward, he proceeded to be the Nodl we've known for the better part of his NHL career.

Geoffrion's probably not getting traded right now, anyway. The only guy I'd really prefer is Boedker.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Nodl had one bat**** crazy run last year and that was it. Afterward, he proceeded to be the Nodl we've known for the better part of his NHL career.

Geoffrion's probably not getting traded right now, anyway. The only guy I'd really prefer is Boedker.
First 40 games last season: 9 goals and 15 points

The rest of his career: 12 points in 75

Take that for what it's worth, but when Laperriere is outscoring you you've got to be thinking about a career in the minors.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
First 40 games last season: 9 goals and 15 points

The rest of his career: 12 points in 75

Take that for what it's worth, but when Laperriere is outscoring you you've got to be thinking about a career in the minors.
Lappy gave Shelley a run for his money last season.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:38 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Depending on how well he plays... obviously.

Trade deadline gives us time to access that. I could be wrong about this; wasn't most of his point production from last year was generated from playing with Mike Richards? I have my doubts about him being able to be a 15-20 goal guy this season, we will see. Also, I feel like the players I've listed are either lateral moves for guys with more potential, or decent upgrades.
It may have been, not sure, but no one seemed to play well with Richards except Nodl (Not saying Richards is not a really good player, it just seemed to work that way even though Richards still had a decent point total). For me, the best Richards line I saw all year was Richards, Nodl and Wellwood. I remember them trying everybody with Richards and nothing seemed to click (the lines weren't bad but none seemed to control play). For some reason the Richards, Nodl, Wellwood line really looked good. Good chance this would have changed after two games but it was good while it lasted.

Anyway, I think Nodl is very underrated, even though he tailed off again after showing some offensive promise. I wouldn't be surprised if scores around 20 goals this year and even if he doesn't but continues to play solid defensively and helps the Flyers keep puck possession, your going to have a hard time finding that value for his price elsewhere.

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:10 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
It may have been, not sure, but no one seemed to play well with Richards except Nodl (Not saying Richards is not a really good player, it just seemed to work that way even though Richards still had a decent point total). For me, the best Richards line I saw all year was Richards, Nodl and Wellwood. I remember them trying everybody with Richards and nothing seemed to click (the lines weren't bad but none seemed to control play). For some reason the Richards, Nodl, Wellwood line really looked good. Good chance this would have changed after two games but it was good while it lasted.

Anyway, I think Nodl is very underrated, even though he tailed off again after showing some offensive promise. I wouldn't be surprised if scores around 20 goals this year and even if he doesn't but continues to play solid defensively and helps the Flyers keep puck possession, your going to have a hard time finding that value for his price elsewhere.
Maybe it's because Richards got stuck with ****** wingers almost the entire season. At least he won't have to worry about that in LA.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Maybe it's because Richards got stuck with ****** wingers almost the entire season. At least he won't have to worry about that in LA.
I think Richards' wrist injury certainly didn't help either.

Quote:

I thought that line did well, because it was one dimensional: Energy + Shutdown.

The thing is, I actually like Nodl. I want him to do well. However, when you look at our top 9 he is clearly the weakest link.

I can see three scenarios with Nodl:

1) He gets bumped out of his 3rd line spot by Wellwood, Read, etc. He is dropped to fourth line where he is effective, but would be better off playing top minutes in the AHL. His trade value in this situation is basically nothing and we hold onto him, keep him as a 4th liner for the remainder of his contract. Possibly dump him after.

2) He earns the third line spot next to Schenn-Simmonds. He puts up similar numbers to the ones he did this season, but his play leaves something more to be desired considering who he is playing beside. Flyers decide to package him with a pick for a lateral move/slight upgrade to see if someone else can create more chemistry.

3) He earns his spot. Makes great chemistry with Schenn-Simmonds. Puts up close to 20 goals, 50 points and proves invaluable to the team. Obviously, if this happens we keep him.

Old
08-28-2011, 04:08 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I think I can safely say that Nodl will not become a 50 point scorer in the NHL.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I think he's gonna have a fantastic year this year.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:11 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I think he's gonna have a fantastic year this year.
Can't wait to see him and Gags together again. Hopefully Gags stays healthy. Also can't wait to see how Carter and Nash work together. I really only ever saw Nash play when he was in the 2010 Olympics and he was great. I'm just glad GameCentre archives their games cause the LA start time is too late for me. I don't think I'll be able to last through the second period on weeknights.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:30 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Until Gagne, Williams, and Penner all get their perennial injuries.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
From Chesnokov's interview with Ovechkin. He asked Ovi about Crosby, Kovalchuk, Varly, and Bryz. Here's Ovi's answer on the question about the Bryz acquisition:

Quote:
"Yes, it's not very nice. It is going to be more difficult to score against the Flyers now.

"But I was shocked when the Flyers traded Jeff Carter and captain Mike Richards. And then Bryz came over. He came to a good team that plays a tough defensive hockey."

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:05 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 200
Maybe Bryzgalov will lure Ovechkin to demand a trade here....

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
From Chesnokov's interview with Ovechkin. He asked Ovi about Crosby, Kovalchuk, Varly, and Bryz. Here's Ovi's answer on the question about the Bryz acquisition:
It's not very nice...

At least he didn't add an extra "very" like some foreigners do...:

As far as Richards and Carter..both should do well but yes Richards has some china dolls he has to contend with. Carter and Nash should complement each other but Carter's less than stellar track record in the playoffs (injuries etc.) will probably continue considering that the Columbus team is at best a "cusp" playoff team...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote