HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article on nhl.com

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2004, 02:52 PM
bigblue21

vCash: 500
Article on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/offseas...s_present.html

Some of the content in the article really took me by surprise:

Defense: the article seemed to indicate that the Rangers were taking a more serious look at Bryce Lampman than they were at Kondratiev.

Center: is Mike Green signed? Is Immonen coming to North America? Is Layne Ulmer really expected to compete for a center spot?

Wing: isn't Greg Moore returning to UMaine?

Old
07-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Onion Boy

Mike Green was qualified but I don't think he's actually been signed yet. Conversely, I thought that Ulmer hadn't been qualified.

Old
07-28-2004, 03:30 PM
NYR469

the guy writing the article really has no clue about the rangers situation...

as you said, immonen is staying in finland, moore is going back to maine, ulmer will be at most an injury callup, lawson won't be even that...

Old
07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469

as you said, immonen is staying in finland, moore is going back to maine, ulmer will be at most an injury callup, lawson won't be even that...
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy, or was totally out of touch with reality.

Old
07-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469

Funny thing is though, when the guy listed potential LWs...he was right. Look at our current LW depth without any FA signings (take note those who are against signing any UFAs).

Jamie Lundmark (may return to his natural position at center)
Garth Murray (actually an RW, natural center)
Chad Wiseman
Strudwick/Purinton (one of them will undoubtedly dress as 4th line wing, both natural defensemen)
Dominic Moore (natural center)
Trevor Gillies (natural defenseman I think)
Richard Scott (still seeing those little birdies)

That is beyond pathetic. Other options include Prucha and Dawes, but neither can make a legitimate impact anytime soon. Yikes.

Old
07-28-2004, 04:03 PM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Funny thing is though, when the guy listed potential LWs...he was right. Look at our current LW depth without any FA signings (take note those who are against signing any UFAs).

Jamie Lundmark (may return to his natural position at center)
Garth Murray (actually an RW, natural center)
Chad Wiseman
Strudwick/Purinton (one of them will undoubtedly dress as 4th line wing, both natural defensemen)
Dominic Moore (natural center)
Trevor Gillies (natural defenseman I think)
Richard Scott (still seeing those little birdies)

That is beyond pathetic. Other options include Prucha and Dawes, but neither can make a legitimate impact anytime soon. Yikes.
Agreed, I think without a doubt we will have to sign at least 1 LW to give this team a fighting chance. As has been discussed on this board, I wouldn't mind seeing McAmmond or Novoseltsev taking a spot. Rucinsky is still a possibility as well.

Old
07-28-2004, 05:31 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Id like Petr Schaslivy, Mikael Samuelsson and Dean McAmmond

Old
07-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Take out Sammy, throw in Johansson and I'll sign on.

Old
07-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Mike Green was qualified but I don't think he's actually been signed yet. Conversely, I thought that Ulmer hadn't been qualified.
And, my bad, Ulmer was qualified.

Old
07-28-2004, 06:44 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Take out Sammy, throw in Johansson and I'll sign on.

I like AJ but I doubt he comes back cause Sather lowballed him. He is good on the pk, but always gets hurt. Samuelsson is younger, cheaper and looked good b4 we dealt him to Pens. Id like to see him back. He can help our PK.

Old
07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Fish

They also have Valiquette listed, but he only signed a one year deal with the Oilers last July if I'm not mistaken...

Old
07-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
They also have Valiquette listed, but he only signed a one year deal with the Oilers last July if I'm not mistaken...
I heard Valiquette is coming back next year. His option was picked up or something.

Old
07-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Fish

Where'd you hear or read that?

Old
07-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Balej20*

I actually read it on this board. I'd apprectiate it if someone could confirm Valiquette's situation with the Rangers.

Old
07-29-2004, 11:01 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
You guys seem to be approaching this as if we have to do something to improve the team's chances of finishing 8th. The team will finish at or near the bottom of the standings and that's fine as far as I'm concerned. So you'll finish 12th with these kinds of signings. Will that help?

Old
07-29-2004, 05:50 PM
dumpsathernow*

I wouldn't say it's pathetic. Very few teams have a group of big scorers. The Wild are a good example of a team that gets a lot production from grinder types. We don't really know what Ortmeyer, Murray, Wiseman, Giroux and Lundmark can do along with Balej who is a scorer.

It's not like we ever gave these kids a chance. If Ortmeyer could have shot well last year he would have had 10 goals. Who knows if he has improved his shot over the off season. If Ormeyer, Murray, Wiseman and Giroux can chip in 30 goals and Balej and Lundmark find a way to get 30 maybe we can be respectable.

Old
07-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
I actually read it on this board. I'd apprectiate it if someone could confirm Valiquette's situation with the Rangers.
Thanks for the heads up...I believe this is the thread, though I don't know how trustworthy it is...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ght=valiquette

Old
07-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
You guys seem to be approaching this as if we have to do something to improve the team's chances of finishing 8th. The team will finish at or near the bottom of the standings and that's fine as far as I'm concerned. So you'll finish 12th with these kinds of signings. Will that help?
Even rebuilding clubs have to be competitive and conducive to the development of the kids. None of the prospects we have, save Tyutin and Balej (and even they are stretches), could handle top line duties without seriously retarding their development.

That's why I and others suggest signing third/fourth-tier UFAs. Guys like Rucinsky, Schastlivy, Samuelsson, and McAmmond can play 1st/2nd line minutes if necessary, but can also step down to the third line if a kid really impresses in camp or significantly improves his game over the course of the season.

When it's all said and done we'll still probably finish towards the bottom, and I hope we do to get a shot at Crosby, but not at the expense of our prospects' development.

Old
07-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Edge

I have to say don't discount Lampman. The kid made the team last year before he got hurt and then got a nice long look late last season.

If he can get stronger, he could be a suprise.

I think thats the biggest thing you see with this organization right now, conditioning and training. The kids skills cant be developed if they simply cant compete on the ice.

Old
07-30-2004, 09:10 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I have to say don't discount Lampman. The kid made the team last year before he got hurt and then got a nice long look late last season.
I agree, Edge. I think the kid can be a Lefebvre, circa Colarado days, type player. I like him. A nice, quiet, but solid game.

Old
07-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

If he can get stronger, he could be a suprise.

I think thats the biggest thing you see with this organization right now, conditioning and training. The kids skills cant be developed if they simply cant compete on the ice.
I've always been a Lampman fan, and nothing he did last year convinced me otherwise, though pairing him with Rachunek wasn't exactly the best way to evaluate his talent. Lampman is by no means a flashy or physical defenseman, but he's sound positionally and can actually contribute more offense that what is obvioius from his stats.

As you say Edge, if he can add a little muscle, he'll could be a useful defender who will likely be a 5th/6th d-man who can fill in on the second pairing if needed.

Old
07-30-2004, 05:03 PM
E-Train

Added muscle was the only thing I saw lacking from Lampman is his cameo last year. He is just turning 22 so he has time to add some weight.

He looks to be a solid 3rd pair d-man, not the borderline 7th defenseman. The Toronto or Colorado version of Lefebvre is fine with me.

Old
07-30-2004, 05:22 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
Added muscle was the only thing I saw lacking from Lampman is his cameo last year. He is just turning 22 so he has time to add some weight.

He looks to be a solid 3rd pair d-man, not the borderline 7th defenseman. The Toronto or Colorado version of Lefebvre is fine with me.
Hmm Lefebvre is good but honestly I see Keith Carney in him. I think he can be that good.

Closed Thread