HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke ‘deeply offended’ by columnist

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2011, 12:18 AM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I'm just saying, where do these lines end? Would you be ok if Burke left on the most important day of his job to volunteer in a soup kitchen in Kenya?

If you say no, then you're an
insensitive person with no respect for starving third world people. See the slippery slope?
These are men and woman who die so you can type what you are writing. It was CANADA DAY, sometimes hockey takes a back seat to things that are more important.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:20 AM
hockeygeek

Quote:
I'm just saying, where do these lines end? Would you be ok if Burke left on the most important day of his job to volunteer in a soup kitchen in Kenya?

insensitive person with no respect for starving third world people. See the slippery slope?
The fact you would use the expression "abondon his job" to describe his visit to the troops tells me all i need to know about your character.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:21 AM
IBeL13f

Here's the bottom line that bothers me most about this: Burke put Canada (not even his country, but ours) above his job... and people have the audacity to complain about that?

"July 1st is the most important day of the hockey season" "Burke could have picked another day", blah blah blah.

Burke, as an American, did what most people who hail from this country would never be able to do, and visited a war-torn country to be with the people who provide us with the comforts that we have. And people complain that he put that ahead of a job? Seriously? I understand loving your job and doing all that you can to be the best at what you do, but come on. There are some things that are more important than hockey. Burke made this a priority, and I applaud him for it.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Quote:

I agree with you in principle, but you are assuming that he was unable to do his job from his location.

I remember Burke being in Sweden one July 1st a few years ago - didn't impact his ability to sign deals either. If you could actually prove Burke's location impacted his ability to function, then I would agree with you. But I don't think you can.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:23 AM
MrLegend28*

since this thread is just trashing SImmons, Iunno where else to post it but a thought about how stupid the cap system is

in theory, as long as hes under 35, I can offer a player a 100 year contract, worth 100 mill, aka 1 mil cap hit, and after he retires its off my books. Add in the fact I can front load it like 10 x 10 then 500 k/season from then on. When he retires itll be off the book anyways.

Lol sorry if this gets a bunch of "cool story bros", iunno where to post this.

Wish I was GM . haha

Old
07-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Leafan519

Simmons is the definition of *********. If the man the rolling on the ground on fire I'd be reluctant to piss on him to put it out. I applaud Burke for visiting our troops on Canada day, and hes not even Canadian, what a stand up guy.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:27 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
since this thread is just trashing SImmons, Iunno where else to post it but a thought about how stupid the cap system is

in theory, as long as hes under 35, I can offer a player a 100 year contract, worth 100 mill, aka 1 mil cap hit, and after he retires its off my books. Add in the fact I can front load it like 10 x 10 then 500 k/season from then on. When he retires itll be off the book anyways.

Lol sorry if this gets a bunch of "cool story bros", iunno where to post this.

Wish I was GM . haha
Except the salary can't decrease by 50% of the average of the first two years, or whatever the rule is. That would never work

Old
07-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
These are men and woman who die so you can type what you are writing. It was CANADA DAY, sometimes hockey takes a back seat to things that are more important.
If you don't support Burke going to Kenya on the most impotent day of his job, then you are racist.
If you don't support Burke picketing at a pro choice rally on the most important day of the year for his
job, then you are sexist.

If you don't support Burke making a speech at a pro gay marriage
rally on the most important day of his job, then you're homophobic.
And on and on we go.

His job isn't beinng a world wide humanitarian. His job is improving the leafs. He should be in toronto on he most important day of his job.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:46 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

i really have no problem with what burke did, and im far from a 'patriot'.

who really thought we'd get richards on july 1st? from what i understand we put up a strong offer, but he was going to ny.

we still did well with getting connolly, franson, lombardi for brett lebda.

simmonds was chastised publicly by burke, and has been slowly grinding that axe for a while.

he's a hack, just like howard berger

Old
07-05-2011, 12:51 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 1677
Just want to add that when Burke was in Vancouver he went on Vacation from after the draft till july 2nd

He always said he refuses to enter a bidding contest over second rate players

Burke is building a team and he is building piece by piece and going off the deep end and blowing and over paying for a player right now is uncalled for

I have been to the northern part of afgan a couple of times(no--not military with a charity oprganization) and you would be surprised how much contact you have with the outside world--I am sure that if Burke wanted someone bad enough he would be a leaf

this years UFA pool was nothing to drool over. I like what my oilers did--they picked up some 3rd and 4th liners to help the development of the kids

Burke has some transition players already in place

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
07-05-2011, 12:54 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Burke should fire Nonis, retire and let Dudley take over. Have no problem with him going to that crazy country but he should have expected some reporter(s) in Toronto would criticize him for it.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:57 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
It doesn't matter if Burke was here or not Brad Richards made his mind up long before July 1st he wanted to go to the Rangers and like Burke said he was asked and he said yes...it's not like he's begging to go to Afghanistan to get PR.

Luke Schenn went too does that mean we Leaf fans should criticize him: "Hey Luke, wtf are you doing? You're supposed to be training"

No..they have a life outside of hockey and we have ENOUGH management to take over for Burke and...Simmons finally knows Skype exists.
Yeah... wait a second... *starts Luke Schenn hate thread*

Old
07-05-2011, 12:58 AM
mightymuffin

Quote:
If you don't support Burke going to Kenya on the most impotent day of his job, then you are racist.
If you don't support Burke picketing at a pro choice rally on the most important day of the year for his

And on and on we go.

His job isn't beinng a world wide humanitarian. His job is improving the leafs. He should be in toronto on he most important day of his job.
First thing is that its Canada day and being GM of TORONTO maple leafs, He is doing his job for being there because he was asked. if Kenya have important day and related to his work and organisation, im sure he can be there. It not like he cant perform his job from oversea.

If there is Pens have 5 malkins, Im sure Crosby can go to visit the troop if asked to.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Zrinski

Quote:
It's arguable to say where the "line" is on this one.

I think we'd all agree that if Sidney Crosby skipped playing game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals to go visit the troops in Afghanistan... then that would be unprofessional.
Even if he rationalized it by saying "Hey, I didn't pick this date. They invited me, so I went. I have the utmost respect for the troops. I am 'deeply offended' that someone would dare call me out for paying respect to these brave souls".

I'm sure we'd all agree that that would be unacceptable.

So where does the line end? It's okay for Burke because he can still use his phone in Afghanistan? Or, on the most important day of the year for his job, should his priority be with the team that pays him millions of dollars a year?

Also, where does the line end in regards to what is an acceptable reason to leave the country on the most important day of his job?
Can he leave to feed milk to kittens? To promote bike lanes? To volunteer in a soup kitchen?
Where precisely do these lines end? Would he act "deeply offended" if Simmons criticized the importance of feeding hungry kittens?

If you're going to abandon your job on the most important day of the year... be ready to accept criticism regardless for how good your excuse is.
Burke was fully able to do his job from Afghanistan, Toronto or damn near anywhere else in the world. As many have stated, the Rangers didn't send a single person to meet with Richards, just a phone call.

The Crosby comparison is idiotic to say the least. Crosby not playing game 7 would greatly affect his team. Burke doing every damn thing he does in Toronto from a different country for a few days changed nothing.

During his absence, we signed Connolly, traded for Franson and Lombardi (trade may have happened while he was back in Toronto, but the leg work was being done days earlier). I would absolutely love to hear how you think Burke doing all this from a phone in Toronto would have made the team better.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:05 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

burke signs and drafts a couple americans: omg wtf americanization of the leafs!!#!@$@! this is BULL****!$@$!

burke flies to afghanistan to support canadian troops on canada day: OMG WTF is he doing, this is BULL****!$@!!

Old
07-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

well, seeing as he had 24/7 access to a phone, we still signed the best available center AND turned lebda into lombardi and franson, it's pretty safe to say this had no effect on his ability to do his job. if we had done absolutely nothing you might have a point, but we all know that's not what happened so just put and end to this childish nonsense. some of you will take any chance, no matter how trivial or assinine, to hate on burke. if you hate everything he does maybe you should head on over to the canucks board... i'm sure you'd all fit in wonderfully over there.

steve simmonds is a total clown. the guy has absolutely zero hockey knowledge. i once pondered how he was ever able to get a job as a professional journalist. then i remembered he works for the toronto sun, so he's not actually a professinal journalist at all. which is truly a shame, if he worked for a real newspaper i suspect they would have had the sense to get rid of his sorry ass for making such ignorant unprofessional comments.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:16 AM
MrLegend28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Except the salary can't decrease by 50% of the average of the first two years, or whatever the rule is. That would never work
drats

Old
07-05-2011, 01:17 AM
MrLegend28*

this just in.. Brian Burke sneezed. Simmons feels this is an inappropriate time to be sneezing.

im gonna tweet him that. i wanna get a reply, once u do its easier to lay on the insults cause he'll look for it haha

Old
07-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Vexed

July 1st is not the most important day of his job. Its just a day fans get hyped up about

Old
07-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:

And on and on we go.

When did the Kenyans fight for my freedom?

Old
07-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Vexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post
When did the Kenyans fight for my freedom?
lol Kenya?

Old
07-05-2011, 01:40 AM
stides*

Would it be okay for Sidney Crosby in game 7 to not be on his "A" game because he spent half of the time on his shifts waving and blowing kisses at troops in attendance?

Because you could say Burke wasn't on his "A" game by being only available over the phone.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:47 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Comparing game seven of the finals to july first is silly.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by stides View Post
Would it be okay for Sidney Crosby in game 7 to not be on his "A" game because he spent half of his shifts waving at troops in attendance?

Because you could say Burke wasn't on his "A" game by being only available over the phone.
what exactly makes you think he wasn't on his "A" game?

the NYR pitched their offer to brad richards over the phone and it didn't stop them from signing him. if signing the best center available and turning our worst defensman into a great third line center and a solid young defensman isn't considered being on your "A" game, you have some pretty ridiculous expectations. curious, what do you think would have happened differently had burke spoke to players over the phone from toronto as opposed to afghanistan? remember, pitching to brad richards in person clearly had no effect on his decision on where he signed, so don't even go down that road.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:53 AM
MPalmateer

Some things in life are far more important than Hockey....Thanks to all the men and women who keep us safe here and abroad! These are people that need much more Recognitgion! Thank You All!

Closed Thread