HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke ‘deeply offended’ by columnist

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2011, 08:40 AM
ronzigato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
I bet Burke gets asked to go visit the troops all the time, why he would pick July 1st is a good question. So what if he didn't tell anyone or talk about going over there. The media was bound to find out anyways that the GM was awol on a day he himself said was the most important in the off season. And you know that travelling half way around the world for 20hrs or whatever it takes will make your judgement cloudy at best. You need the guy to be sharp & fresh, not jet lagged & overwhelmed by whats going on in Afghanistan. Bottom line is he was asked many times to go over there. The guy just loves to garner attention to himself.
"I bet Burke gets asked to go visit the troops all the time,"

Let's see some proof of that. Otherwise, you're just another ******* talking ****.

Old
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrinski View Post
Burke was fully able to do his job from Afghanistan, Toronto or damn near anywhere else in the world. As many have stated, the Rangers didn't send a single person to meet with Richards, just a phone call.

The Crosby comparison is idiotic to say the least. Crosby not playing game 7 would greatly affect his team. Burke doing every damn thing he does in Toronto from a different country for a few days changed nothing.

During his absence, we signed Connolly, traded for Franson and Lombardi (trade may have happened while he was back in Toronto, but the leg work was being done days earlier). I would absolutely love to hear how you think Burke doing all this from a phone in Toronto would have made the team better.
Its funny Burke is this god here and we keep hearing how great he is...Maybe Burke the salesmen could have convinced Richards to be a leaf if he was face to face with him.. Personally i dont think the Leafs really wanted Richards...Was a PR move to keep Leaf fans happy...

Old
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
If you don't support Burke going to Kenya on the most impotent day of his job, then you are racist.
If you don't support Burke picketing at a pro choice rally on the most important day of the year for his
job, then you are sexist.

If you don't support Burke making a speech at a pro gay marriage
rally on the most important day of his job, then you're homophobic.
And on and on we go.

His job isn't beinng a world wide humanitarian. His job is improving the leafs. He should be in toronto on he most important day of his job.
Yeah, because walking in Gay Pride for his son that has passed away should be pushed to the side because of Free Agency.

You're a moron.

Old
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
Good GMs get players. NO EXCUSES. A good GM gets the players they target in Free Agency. The only factor is money and the Leafs have plenty. If Richards mind is made up it is because someone convinced him that NY was the place. Burke had a chance. He blew it. He keeps blowing it.

The beauty of it is he keeps talking big - how the team will do so great in FA... and they have sucked in FA.

The Red Sox get deals done no excuses the Yankees get deals done the Bruins get deals done winning teams get the players they target they present a better case so players want to come there.

Players should want to come to Toronto if they don't then it is 100% on Burke (or Nonis or whoever is the REAL GM of the team)... your GM creates the atmosphere that makes players want to come to your team. And lack of money is not an excuse.

PS
When the GM of the team FOR WHATEVER REASON optionally decides not to be there on the biggest day of the year for GMs ... then he should resign as GM!!! Make Nonis the GM and accept another title in the organization. Visiting the troops is fantastic but imagine if a player decides to go visit the troops instead of playing in the Stanley Cup Final. FA Day is the Stanley Cup final for GMs.
A point lost in the whole argument....Why do the NYR never have a problem landing big Free Agents? Why? They stink as bad as the Leafs...In fact had it not been for Mark Messiers' team in 94, they would have a much longer drought than the Leafs for a Cup.....I agree with you. Brian Burke was brought here because he is a high profile GM who had a penchant for landing big name stars like Niedermayer, Pronger, the Sedins etc....not because he was going to add second rate, injury-prone, 3rd and 4th liners to an already crappy team....I admire Burke for visiting the troops, I really do. I am in the camp that believes they have no business being there and when I hear of another Canadian kid who lost his life in a BS political war it makes me sick to my stomach.....but I'm sure Burke was brought in by MLSE to land the very likes of a Brad Richards...whatever it takes.

Old
07-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Dayjobdave

I wonder how many of the 30 GM's were in the city of the team that they are the GM of on July 1. I'm betting not all.

For people like Steve Simmons who are wondering "why July 1" for Burke to go to Afghanistan, he was there in connection with a Canada Day celebration and the fact that we are rotating troops out of a combat engagement. This meant that there would be a higher than normal number of soldiers in an area where they could be visited with (relative) safety, as opposed to in a combat zone.

they are over there doing real work in an extremely dangerous environment.

Any player who doesn't want to come to Toronto because our President was supporting the troops instead of drooling over him in a Newport Sports meeting room on July 1 is welcome to go wherever else they choose.

Steve Simmons showed a remarkable lack of insight with regard to the conditions in Afghanistan by suggesting that July 1 was just another day over there.

He is no journalist.

Old
07-05-2011, 08:50 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Simmons doesn't deserve to be on tv or writing articles, Geez even I could do a better job, Simmons is the kid that talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

Old
07-05-2011, 08:51 AM
contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Id like to take a **** on Simmons desk
Would that be the S or F word??

Old
07-05-2011, 08:54 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by contour View Post
Would that be the S or F word??

Old
07-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Drew75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
If you don't support Burke going to Kenya on the most impotent day of his job, then you are racist.
If you don't support Burke picketing at a pro choice rally on the most important day of the year for his
job, then you are sexist.

If you don't support Burke making a speech at a pro gay marriage
rally on the most important day of his job, then you're homophobic.
And on and on we go.

His job isn't beinng a world wide humanitarian. His job is improving the leafs. He should be in toronto on he most important day of his job.
Dude - are you serious?

a) it was a weak ass UFA crop.
b) there was only one guy they really wanted, and all of the insiders had a strong feeling that guy wanted the Rangers (to the point that the Rangers were so confident they didn't even show up).
c) if you read the article, it's apparent he set up skype to talk to players, ensured cell coverage, AND made sure he had a back up land line to "do his job".
d) if it's the "most important day of his job (more so than the draft, opening night, playoffs, etc ) - why is it that the Leafs made improvements to their roster and had a successful week-end ... AFTER that day?

Based on the moves this week-end - it's apparent that Burke being away DID NOT hinder the Leafs at all. He was in touch with everyone.

Also - I'd like to point out that he never once announced he was going, never did an interview about it either here or there (until this issue came up), and it was only a reporting digging that we found out - to all those who say he was clamouring for the spotlight.

Old
07-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

I would gladly boycott but I never would touch that ignorant newspaper anyway.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

I agree with Simmons, Burke should have been doing his job.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
He was.

And quite well.

Old
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Good god......

Old
Interactif

Quote:
He wasn't? The only thing he didn't do was kiss Brad Richard's ring in Mississauga.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

All the Burke bashers are back I see. Can't find anything wrong with the Franson deal so now they're back to *****ing about July 1st.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:05 AM
LeafDangler

I understand the criticism. I don't agree with it but I completely understand it.

I dont think free agency for the Leafs changes regardless of where Burke is. Richards to NY was a done deal. Reported for months. We told Connoly that we would be there after Richards made his decision. We would have still ended up with him.

I understand why some questioned this but I fail to see how it changed the Toronto Maple Leafs on ice product in the least. This is an inter-management allocation of staff and resources issue and personally I couldn't care less so long as the team isn't damaged.

To those really bothered by this, not just getting caught up in the drama, what harm was caused? Richards was a pipe dream. You've gotta give me at least something other than that before I can agree with you.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:06 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
He was doing his job, so was Luke.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:06 AM
imthinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He wasn't? The only thing he didn't do was kiss Brad Richard's ring in Mississauga.
This.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Lightsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRanger View Post
All the Burke bashers are back I see. Can't find anything wrong with the Franson deal so now they're back to *****ing about July 1st.
I always get a major kick out of the guys who complain about the Leafs management but offer no suggestions as to what they should be doing instead.

Again, people who claim Burke should have been wooing Richards directly; the Rangers signed him WITHOUT SENDING ANYBODY TO TORONTO TO TALK TO HIM. None of the teams that went to meet with him personally ended up getting him to sign. That suggests he planned on signing with the Rangers all along.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:13 AM
stoney

Keep feeding the troll, he is loving every minute of it.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:13 AM
LeafDangler

The numbers are coming out now that the Leafs offered 6 years 42 million for Richards. Sounds like once again $ was all that mattered not Brian Burke's location.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:18 AM
tzinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
The numbers are coming out now that the Leafs offered 6 years 42 million for Richards. Sounds like once again $ was all that mattered not Brian Burke's location.
Why not overpay for a ppg guy instead of a terrible defencemen like Komi? How many years has it been that Burke has FAILED to land that #1 C he keeps promising.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:19 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
Why not overpay for a ppg guy instead of a terrible defencemen like Komi? How many years has it been that Burke has FAILED to land that #1 C he keeps promising.
You cannot over pay for someone who did not want to come here in the first place.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think Simmonds makes a valid point, wether you agree with it or not is fine...but I don;t see the need to thow insults. Some of you are the same posters taht posted all kinds of crap about JFJ and now Burke gets a free pass on everything.

Old
07-05-2011, 09:23 AM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurisleafs View Post
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...-by-columnist/

Steve Simmons is a ******...what do you think?
I think Simmons is justified.

These excuses for Burke is further evidence how he gets a free ride by fans.

Fans are making derogatory comments about Simmons for saying Burke should concentrate on hockey for ONE DAY of the year, July 1st, when UFAs become available.

Burke wasn't hired to be a politician. He's hired to be a GM.

Besides, why is he over there? What is the purpose? To talk to the troops about which players he's going to sign?

Simmons had a point and is getting villified for it because he's unpopular with fans.

Last edited by pucky: 07-05-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Closed Thread