HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Arbitration (Callahan on July 28, Dubinsky signs before hearing)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2011, 01:00 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Latest on #NYR: Source says Brandon Dubinsky holdup is length of contract; Ryan Callahan's agent remains patient: http://nydn.us/ngNLSA

"With Brandon Dubinsky’s arbitration hearing set for Thursday, a deal does not appear close, and a source has told the Daily News that the sticking point in negotiations is not money, but years for a new contract."
Apparently, Dubi wanting a longer term deal means he wants to force a trade or something.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Apparently, Dubi wanting a longer term deal means he wants to force a trade or something.
Trolololol.....

Old
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Latest on #NYR: Source says Brandon Dubinsky holdup is length of contract; Ryan Callahan's agent remains patient: http://nydn.us/ngNLSA

"With Brandon Dubinsky’s arbitration hearing set for Thursday, a deal does not appear close, and a source has told the Daily News that the sticking point in negotiations is not money, but years for a new contract."
Good news, length can be easily worked on. As long as they are agreed upon with the money, that's good.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Don't want both Dubi and Cally long term so I don't mind if we play hardball with Dubi.

Don't need to be tied into 3 guys (Richards, Dubi, Cally) here for 5-6 + years with no room for flexibility.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Touche... I was under the impression it was about the money, not the term. I apologize.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
mcsauer2738

If dubi wants longer term that says to me that rangers are offering him a type of contract that ends when he is 32-33 years old, at that point players are nearing the end of their prime and not ripe for a retirement contract (unless you're a superstar). If the Rangers were offering Dubi, 3-4 he'd be fine with that because he'd turn ufa in his prime. IMO dubi is looking for an 8-10 year deal.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:11 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Touche... I was under the impression it was about the money, not the term. I apologize.
People are very quick to lose their minds over this team. Go back to the Richards signing, and read how many people were predicting doom. No difference here.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

You gotta keep in mind sather doesn't like long term contracts.

Hank's only got a 6 year deal, do you think hank would've said no if he got the same money for 10 years instead of 6? Maybe even a little bit less money?

Gaborik got a 5 year deal, so did staal, and staal's the type worth a lifetime contract, so is hank, so i could see some hesitation by sather if dubi wants an 8 year deal

Old
07-19-2011, 01:14 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Don't want both Dubi and Cally long term so I don't mind if we play hardball with Dubi.

Don't need to be tied into 3 guys (Richards, Dubi, Cally) here for 5-6 + years with no room for flexibility.
You clearly don't know how to beat the cap system.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
You clearly don't know how to beat the cap system.
It has nothing to do with beating the cap.

You guys love Dubinsky and Callahan so much but what if 3 years down the line we want to shake things up?

Not easy to move anyone signed for 6-7 more years.. despite the cap hit.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:

You guys love Dubinsky and Callahan so much but what if 3 years down the line we want to shake things up?

depends on if they have an NMC/NTC.

Players are easy to move unless it's an albatross of a contract.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
azrok22

Quote:

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards humbly disagree.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Do the Rangers have until the time of the hearing to sign Duby or only until 11:59 PM tomorrow night?

Old
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
You missed one: - Dubinsky's agent is a ****** and is advising Dubinsky not to sign deal X because he deserves deal Y, or something to that effect.
Hahahaha. Yes, that's it. The agent, who works for Dubi and gets paid on commission, is a ****** and is screwing up the negotiation. How convenient for you as a fan.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Signing them longer term does nothing but help us.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Both put up high offensive numbers that Dubi and Cally do not.

I understand what they bring, but they are more valueable to us than they would be on the trade market.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Both put up high offensive numbers that Dubi and Cally do not.

I understand what they bring, but they are more valueable to us than they would be on the trade market.
Their long terms allowed sweetheart cap hits as well, long term only helps overall

Old
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Their long terms allowed sweetheart cap hits as well, long term only helps overall
It helps us if we want to keep them all those years, sure.

But does that mean we can deal them for pieces or will most teams balk at taking back such a long term deal?

Old
07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
If dubi wants longer term that says to me that rangers are offering him a type of contract that ends when he is 32-33 years old, at that point players are nearing the end of their prime and not ripe for a retirement contract (unless you're a superstar). If the Rangers were offering Dubi, 3-4 he'd be fine with that because he'd turn ufa in his prime. IMO dubi is looking for an 8-10 year deal.
I was thinking the player might be seeking a shorter duration contract in hopes of increasing his value over lets say, 3 years, and getting a bigger payday when he hits the market as a FA. Although with the CBA in limbo for next summer, it's hard to gauge who is thinking what.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

It wouldn't be bad at all if Dubi and Cally's cap hits are lower than 4.5 million. Plenty of good teams implement this type of re-signing strategy, Washington the most notable.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:41 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I was thinking the player might be seeking a shorter duration contract in hopes of increasing his value over lets say, 3 years, and getting a bigger payday when he hits the market as a FA. Although with the CBA in limbo for next summer, it's hard to gauge who is thinking what.
This. I'm not sure why it's assumed that Dubi wants more years. Dubi probably wants less UFA years included in the deal since he probably feels he could be a $6 mil per type player and doesn't want a ~$4mil per type contract for those years.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:46 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
This. I'm not sure why it's assumed that Dubi wants more years. Dubi probably wants less UFA years included in the deal since he probably feels he could be a $6 mil per type player and doesn't want a ~$4mil per type contract for those years.
Well apparently you guys missed the spector article where he states that the only thing holding the deal up is dubi wants longer term?

Old
07-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Yeah I'd actually assume Dubinsky wants fewer years...maybe even just 2 years, while the Rangers want more.

Just how things are, even Staal was only bought out of 1 year of UFA

edit: Oops, nevermind. Just noticed that it was clarified that he wants a longer term. Though to be honest that means I wouldn't be surprised if a deal does get done before arbitration...that doesn't seem liek something to be "really far apart" on

Old
07-19-2011, 02:10 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah I'd actually assume Dubinsky wants fewer years...maybe even just 2 years, while the Rangers want more.

Just how things are, even Staal was only bought out of 1 year of UFA

edit: Oops, nevermind. Just noticed that it was clarified that he wants a longer term. Though to be honest that means I wouldn't be surprised if a deal does get done before arbitration...that doesn't seem liek something to be "really far apart" on
Sure it could be.. Rangers probably aren't sold on Dubinsky yet. They're sold but they're not completely sold that he'll be the offensive force worth carrying $4.5M~ for 10 years or so (which is probably what Dubinsky wants). Callahan is a different story. We can give Cally 10 years and not worry as much, but Dubinsky is more questionable.

Old
07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Well yea, what he is doing isn't wrong, he has all the right to do it, but he's asking for a trade by doing it. It shows greed, etc... If he wanted to sign for 3.8 a year, he would, but noooooooo we need 4.2 ....
You make it sound like this is the difference between $3.80 and $4.20. Give me a break.

Quote:
Based on what? Your conspiracy theory that Dubinsky is a dick and thinks he's worth millions more than in reality?

I just don't understand people like you and everyone else who goes back to last year and just loves to jump all over this kid for the business side of things.

He's yet to do anything even remotely detrimental to the organization in anyway and yet he's talked about by so many like a cancer.

Quote:
Well apparently you guys missed the spector article where he states that the only thing holding the deal up is dubi wants longer term?

It doesn't matter. They'll skew it and make it sound like it's all Dubi's fault somehow.

If he wants to end his career as a Ranger he'll be selfish and trying to hurt the team on the back end of his contract.

It really blows my mind.

You'd think this would happen with a player who was a bit of a slacker at times or something. Not a player like Dubi.

Closed Thread