HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grading the Canadiens Draft

Old
06-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Reign40

vCash: 500
Grading the Canadiens Draft

Mark Seidel, director of scouting for North American Central Scouting, took a stab at reviewing how each of the seven Canadian teams did on the draft floor.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...anadian-teams/

MONTREAL CANADIENS
Grade C+

Top 5 Picks
D Nathan Beaulieu, 17th
D Josiah Didler, 97th
LW Olivier Archambault, 108th
D Magnus Nygren, 113th
D Darren Dietz, 138th

Seidel Says “Sure enough, the Habs went with Nathan Beaulieu, the slick defender from the Memorial Cup SeaDogs. Although Beaulieu will need a couple years, he has great bloodlines as his dad is the Coach/GM of the Sarnia Sting …

“The Habs didn’t select until the fourth round, which means that everything else after Beaulieu represents a huge long shot to ever play in the NHL. With the exception of the smallish Olivier Archambault, at No. 108, the Habs focused on size with everyone else selected being at least 6-foot-1, but unfortunately we don’t see anyone that we think will ever don the Red, White and Blue and play for the Canadians at the NHL level.

“The best of the long shots include the feisty Darren Dietz, a defenceman from the Saskatoon Blades and Colin Sullivan, the smooth skating defender from Avon Old Farms. Their sixth-round pick Daniel Pribyl is a big centreman from the Czech Republic who puts up points but most feel he is destined to play in the KHL in Russia. … If the Habs convince him to come, he could represent a steal at No. 168.”

Reign40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:37 AM
HCH

Wow! The loved the Leafs and hated the Habs but then again doesn't everyone love Brian Burke. Maybe sports writers are just too scared of him to write anything critical. I guess time will tell but I think Montreal picked up some interesting prospects.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Wow! The loved the Leafs and hated the Habs but then again doesn't everyone love Brian Burke. Maybe sports writers are just too scared of him to write anything critical. I guess time will tell but I think Montreal picked up some interesting prospects.
maybe you skipped over:

"Mark Seidel, director of scouting for North American Central Scouting, took a stab at reviewing how each of the seven Canadian teams did on the draft floor."

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Reign40

Quote:
This was not a sports writer's rating it was;

Mark Seidel, director of scouting for North American Central Scouting

Old
06-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Cosidering Central Scouting is out to lunch on half the players they rate, I wouldn't put too much weight into his comments.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Marchy79

Not a bad read though... However IMO it's impossibly hard to say how we did not even a week after the draft.

He could be spot on, however he could be right. These things are so much easier to pin point after a few years. For all we know, our ENTIRE 4th round could light it up next year.

They have all been wrong many times before

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
What the hell, Ottawa C-? I'm kinda glad we're rated low then.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
gusfring

Quote:
You must not read Toronto papers. Burke is hammered all the time.

Please expand your horizons.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:19 AM
LePoche69

It's kinda right that passed the third round, every choices is a rather long shot. That doesn't mean the habs didn't make their homework and didn't choose the right players, but if only 1 player selected after the third round makes it to the NHL, it would have been a good draft.

LePoche69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:52 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

My only gripe with the Habs' draft this year is the the fact that we only had one pick in the first 3 rounds. The team has been trading away too many of them for short term help... At least we keep our first rounders (except the one we traded for Tanguay, altho it was almost a second rounder).

Its hard to comment seriously on the players selected this early (one of our late picks could be a Zetterberg ; how could we know? if we could tell it with certainty the guy would have been picked in the first round. Prybyl *might* become a steal because he's obscure, but the same can be said for a million euros each year). Beaulieu imho looks like he's a steal however and that might be good enough regardless of what happens with our million 4th rounders. Anyways this guy probably doesn't know much more than we do.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:54 AM
HabsRealist

Agree with grade. Beaulieu looks like an average 1st round prospect ( remember, more than half will fail ).

Worry, is that his stats didnt progress last year from the year before. Players are only drafted on upside, not how they are playing. Hope he hasnt stalled and topped out.

HabsRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post
Agree with grade. Beaulieu looks like an average 1st round prospect ( remember, more than half will fail ).

Worry, is that his stats didnt progress last year from the year before. Players are only drafted on upside, not how they are playing. Hope he hasnt stalled and topped out.
He's grading our entire draft, not Beaulieu alone. I'm sure that we drafting a bunch of "longshots" is what brought the grade down.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:00 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post

I don't see that as worrying. In fact it can also mean last year wasn't an anomaly, since his offensive production has been consistent. Furthermore he's a defensemen first and foremost and its well documented that his defensive zone play is what he worked on - and upgraded - last year.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Somewhat interesting, but I had trouble taking anything seriously after they said that Lowry was a D...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

"Their two third-round picks represented second-round value in the huge defender from Swift Current, Adam Lowry

I stopped reading there. How can they be taken seriously? Lowry is a forward.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post

Thanks for the advice... I won't be reading Toronto papers. Is there a reason that I should be.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Habs

looks like most of us skeptics here were right, rating our draft low as well.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post

I'd be getting hammered every day too, if I were him.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:04 PM
ChoseLa

Our first round pick is A+ considering our spot, the rest are just projects from the 4th round and up, it's a very hard draft to evaluate.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Darz

When a team only has 1 pick in the first 96, I can't see how a scout could give them a much better grade.

Also any betting man would bet against 4th thru 7th round picks ever becoming NHL regulars. Just common sense.

06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Reign40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
When a team only has 1 pick in the first 96, I can't see how a scout could give them a much better grade.
Montreal had the #78 pick (3rd round) which Gauthier traded for two 4th round picks.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
What the hell, Ottawa C-? I'm kinda glad we're rated low then.
I think he took in to perspective the opportunities they had as opposed to the talent pool they selected.

Personally, I dont think they deserved a C- either...

They got some nice gems in their grab.
Zibanejad, & Puempel are/were pretty legitimate picks.
Noesen may be off the grid, but with a THIRD 1st rounder, might as well try for a Home Run.
I would have selected someone different, but it's their call, and they certainly can't be smacked around for it.

B+ based on what they brought home alone.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:59 PM
eaglesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
"Their two third-round picks represented second-round value in the huge defender from Swift Current, Adam Lowry

I stopped reading there. How can they be taken seriously? Lowry is a forward.
Even better: "When Winnipeg went off the board, it looked like the Sens could take a potential franchise defender in Dougie Hamilton, but instead they opted for the late rising star out of Sweden, Mika Zibanejad."

Too bad the senators drafted before winnipeg

eaglesmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:25 PM
le_sean

Beaulieu was a fantastic pick, but the Habs have to start keeping their 2nd and 3rd rounders because the prospect pool is dwindling. I could see Gauthier pulling off another O'Byrne trade and get the team a decent prospect.

Trading a 3rd for 2 4ths is not a good move IMHO. There was some second round talent still left at 78.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

How the **** did Winnipeg get an A+?! Bad decisions in almost every round. They could've traded down at least 2-3 times and still picked those guys.

Plus I can almost hear the Euro-hate jumping out of the words. Oh, North American Scouting dept? Well that explains it...

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote