HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dominic Moore

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2004, 05:04 PM
  #1
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Dominic Moore

Can anyone share some information with me? I like the guy a lot... the times I've seen him, he resembled Yorkie so much; all the tools and everything.

I wonder why he gets rated 17th in our system... I figure these HFBoard polls are pretty accurate, by-and-large. I always figured he'd be at least the 15th best pospect... at most, 8-10. He is considerably, NHL-ready, however I don't think that should have any baring whatsoever on a prospect's ranking.

BobMarleyNYR is offline  
Old
07-30-2004, 05:17 PM
  #2
little a from da bx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Can anyone share some information with me? I like the guy a lot... the times I've seen him, he resembled Yorkie so much; all the tools and everything.

I wonder why he gets rated 17th in our system... I figure these HFBoard polls are pretty accurate, by-and-large. I always figured he'd be at least the 15th best pospect... at most, 8-10. He is considerably, NHL-ready, however I don't think that should have any baring whatsoever on a prospect's ranking.
huh????? yorkie, yeah alright, nothing alike, hes rated 17 and u are wondering why he is not 15 , like 2 notches make him that much better.. basically to your comment i say

little a from da bx is offline  
Old
07-30-2004, 06:24 PM
  #3
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE
 
Evil Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YOU MAKE SOME MO
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Engrish, pweese? Christ almighty.

To answer the original posters question, there's a symptom on these boards called "prospectitis". It means a newly drafted 18 year old who has proven nothing is nearly automatically given a higher rating than a 23 year old who has proven they can play at the AHL level and is due to move up, but because they didn't score at a PPG level in the AHL like the just drafted guy did in juniors, they're a worse player.

Evil Sather is offline  
Old
07-30-2004, 06:31 PM
  #4
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,676
vCash: 500
i like moore...from what i saw of him in his short NHL stint and in the AHL, he seems to be a guy with a lot of skill...and he never stops moving, never stops driving, forechecking, making things happen...but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to score quite as much as he should perhaps that has to do with his linemates in hartford, i heard he wasn't on mcgills good side for a significant part of the season...also heard after he came back from NY he seemed kind of off...or played very angry and didn't work it quite as well as he did before.

i think he has a good shot at making the team next year though, he's a good prospect IMO

Levitate is offline  
Old
07-30-2004, 11:46 PM
  #5
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Dom Moore is a solid player who showed in college that he could score, play defense and be a leader. He's undersized but bigger than York was when the latter entered the league. The comparison to York is a fair one. In their senior seasons York scored 54 points in 42 games and Moore scored 51 points in 34 games. For their college careers York averaged 1.27 points per game and Moore averaged 1.14 points per game - and Moore played in a more defensively conscious league. No one knows if Moore will cut it in the NHL but I would not bet against him. IMHO he is definitely in the Top 10 of Ranger prospects (anywhere from 5-10).

Chief is offline  
Old
07-30-2004, 11:59 PM
  #6
Firefly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mohawk Valley
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
has he played many games with the rangers? i only remember watching him play once, he had 3 assists or something.

Firefly is offline  
Old
07-31-2004, 12:48 AM
  #7
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
he had 3 assists in 5 games. thats pretty good. he seemed to of had a good start. Im still wondering y they didnt recall him in march for atleast a few games to see if he was on an nhl level.

TheZherdev is offline  
Old
07-31-2004, 01:05 AM
  #8
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by little a from da bx
huh????? yorkie, yeah alright, nothing alike, hes rated 17 and u are wondering why he is not 15 , like 2 notches make him that much better.. basically to your comment i say
Hahahahahaha! You would know, right? Have you ever seen either of the two play? I said as LOW as 15... assuming that the consensus agreed 17 was a the right spot for him. Your post was all about trying to make me look stupid, it had nothing to do with Moore, who you've quite obviously never seen, or your just dismissing the comparison because you love to disagree with me.

So many of your posts consist of nitpicks, and moreover, uninformed attempts to structurally destroy opinions. And you dare make fun of Prucha73? Plus, you attest he posts here too much? You've been here a month, and you've already got like 300+ posts!

Basically, to your nauseating punctuation, blasphemous syntax, and atrocious grammar, I say :lol :lol

Hit the road, mongoloid.

BobMarleyNYR is offline  
Old
07-31-2004, 04:53 AM
  #9
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,446
vCash: 500
Moore is one of those weird prospects who is hard to determine.

His skills are good but he didnt really show enough to project as a top six forward, but he isn't big, physical or defensive enough to be a third of fourth line player.

The biggest problem right now is that with that combination and the fact that he is now 24, he could very well be one of those players who is a very good minor leaguer but a borderline NHL'er.

He started off good, but he never really recovered from an injury. It will be interesting to see how he does in training camp. He's certainly get a long look but I have to believe that in a season in which he will be 24/25 this is going to be his legit chance to be a part of this teams future.

Edge is offline  
Old
07-31-2004, 07:20 AM
  #10
thrill89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Gain Strength- Drive to the net

Just need to lift some weights and improve on standing on his feet. I think of Todd Marchant as comparable. If he was stronger on his feet, he would playin in the NHL. He is one candidate that needs to drive to the net alot to regain the coach's confidence. He tends to use his speed but backs away from driving to the net hard. So far he has been Craig Janney of the Bruins-perimeter skill forward who thrives in the open non physical game. I would say what the Rangers really lacked the last couple of years are players that drive to the net aggressively without abandon. It always seems to be the Ranger's goalie that have two opposite forwards landing on them crashing into them. Its about time ,we do the same.

thrill89 is offline  
Old
07-31-2004, 10:33 AM
  #11
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Moore's nothing like York...

York's a harder worker. York's a more skilled player. Moore can be a nice player, but he's no more than a third liner. Why are 18 year olds rated higher than hiM? Because of what they're projected to be - some are top line hopefuls. Moore's already shown that he's not that. He struggled at times in Hartford (it may've been work ethic or just problems with McGill), and just doesn't put up the points to be considered a top six forward.

Fletch is offline  
Old
07-31-2004, 11:14 AM
  #12
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill89
Just need to lift some weights and improve on standing on his feet. I think of Todd Marchant as comparable. If he was stronger on his feet, he would playin in the NHL. He is one candidate that needs to drive to the net alot to regain the coach's confidence. He tends to use his speed but backs away from driving to the net hard. So far he has been Craig Janney of the Bruins-perimeter skill forward who thrives in the open non physical game. I would say what the Rangers really lacked the last couple of years are players that drive to the net aggressively without abandon. It always seems to be the Ranger's goalie that have two opposite forwards landing on them crashing into them. Its about time ,we do the same.
Problem is that Marchant was a much better defensive player and Janney was in a different league in terms of offense.

But therein is the problem with Moore, as of right now he just doesn't seem to have a strong enough trait on either side of the puck that translates into an NHL game.

That doesn't mean he def. won't be a player, but at 24 it will take a toll on his odds and subsequently his ranking.

Edge is offline  
Old
07-31-2004, 12:26 PM
  #13
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Edge...

I actually think he can be a fourth [or maybe even third] liner. He ain't a fighter and isn't all that tough, but I don't think it's always a bad thing to have a somewhat skilled, smart player as your fourth liner playing center to a couple grinders. In his few games in New York he didn't shy away from contact and was fine in the corners. Could be a decent change-of-pace guy on the fourth line who can kill penalties in games in which the Rangers get into penalty troubles so the starters and other killers aren't asked to kill 8 penalties, which is a disaster as we know.

Fletch is offline  
Old
07-31-2004, 12:31 PM
  #14
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
York's a harder worker. York's a more skilled player. Moore can be a nice player, but he's no more than a third liner. Why are 18 year olds rated higher than hiM? Because of what they're projected to be - some are top line hopefuls. Moore's already shown that he's not that. He struggled at times in Hartford (it may've been work ethic or just problems with McGill), and just doesn't put up the points to be considered a top six forward.
If any of this is the case, Jamie Lundmark should be a career AHLer. Same goes for Chad Wiseman... and Garth Murray should never be more than a fourth line forward.

BobMarleyNYR is offline  
Old
07-31-2004, 12:47 PM
  #15
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I actually think he can be a fourth [or maybe even third] liner. He ain't a fighter and isn't all that tough, but I don't think it's always a bad thing to have a somewhat skilled, smart player as your fourth liner playing center to a couple grinders. In his few games in New York he didn't shy away from contact and was fine in the corners. Could be a decent change-of-pace guy on the fourth line who can kill penalties in games in which the Rangers get into penalty troubles so the starters and other killers aren't asked to kill 8 penalties, which is a disaster as we know.

I cant really tell til i see a healthy Moore this year. That should answer questions about his subpar season after he got hurt.

I just don't see him working as a third or fourth line guy personally. I dont think his defensive is strong enough for that and i think the Rangers have centers in their system that are potentially better suited for that roll in the long run.

But either way its too early to tell for sure.

Edge is offline  
Old
08-01-2004, 01:26 AM
  #16
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
But either way its too early to tell for sure.
That's one point that's 100% correct. I was reading a Whitey Herzog book called "You're Missing A Great Game" recently. He worked in the Mets organization while Casey Stengal was the manager and he mentions how Nolan Ryan had a horrible work ethic when the Mets originally acquired him. He didn't think he'd amount to anything. Then Ryan went to spring training and was with Tom Seaver while Seaver was working out. Seaver had a superior work ethic and just being around him was all it took for Ryan to get his act together. There are so many things that affect how a player performs. It's way too early to make any call on Moore's future after only one year of Hartford hockey - especially when there were no flaws in his work ethic or performance at Harvard.

Chief is offline  
Old
08-01-2004, 05:36 AM
  #17
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,446
vCash: 500
I dont think its a flaw in his work ethic per say, so much as i have my doubts about his game transitioning to an NHL level.

I see a lot of Brian Swanson in him.

But again I emphasize the way and see approach.

Edge is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.