HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hannan

Old
12-25-2010, 05:54 PM
piercehannigan

vCash: 500
Hannan

From what you've seen with Hannan so far, would you resign him for coming years?

piercehannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 05:57 PM
BPMrules

Now, maybe, if he were a bargain.
I'm hoping I'll say definitely, after the playoffs are over.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 06:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

No. After seeing the progression of Alzner-Carlson, Hannan would have to show a lot more than he has to earn a contract. Especially with Poti and Erskine already signed

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
No. After seeing the progression of Alzner-Carlson, Hannan would have to show a lot more than he has to earn a contract. Especially with Poti and Erskine already signed
All things considered. I would says that is about right on the money.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 07:07 PM
txpd

i think most caps fans know the plan is that hannan is a rental. green, schultz, alzner and carlson are the caps top 4 for the foreseeable future.

its not a reflection on hannan.

you dont ever say never. it would have to be that the caps have playoff success, that hannan is key to that success, and that hannan wants to play for the capitals more than any other team enough to make the salary cap work.

the pens game showed me that hannan is locked in now. he's going to be good down the stretch.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
It depends on what he does in the playoffs corresponding with how much he wants to get paid.

If he wants a similar fee to what he is making now, then, no. Though, if he's a ridiculous player in the playoffs and they win a Cup or make it far, I might have to think about paying a hefty cost.

If he wants to stay for a significant reduction, then sure.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 11:04 PM
bobbybobcat11

Hannan finally looked settled in during the Pitt game, thats for sure. Do I see him in red next season? Probably not. But I feel more confident in our defense even though Sarge is out. Good addition, I think

bobbybobcat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Dream Big

Both Hannan and Alzner will have their contracts finishing at the end of the season. Hypothetical question: If the dollars are identical which would you keep?

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Mickstix

On his play alone, I'd say sure, sign him up! He's gotten a bad rap for/during the loosing streak, imo.. Been on the ice at some bad times, but not necessarily his fault a goal gets scored.. I've seen him out of place maybe twice, trying to cover for Green, who was totally out of position, and then got burned on the backside.. But I think he's doing what they want, which is bring experience and a solid defensman to the team for a run at the SC.. Hopefully he can teach our younsters a thing or two, while he's here, and we'll be all the better for it..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Both Hannan and Alzner will have their contracts finishing at the end of the season. Hypothetical question: If the dollars are identical which would you keep?
Is that a serious question?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I think Alzner and Carlson are the guys with the best chances to spend next 10 years in Capitals.

From the current D corps.

Green could be here too but there are more questions with him (especially with his salary and PO performances).

Hannan's next contract? Doubt it. We probably will get Orlov as #7 with waiver exempt. On ELC. No need to throw big money to Hannan. Absolutely (in my mind).

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 07:48 AM
bonzaibondra12

Hannan is a rental. We will probably get another d-man next year as a rental.

I think we were targeting Hannan, and got him early so that he could adjust to the team way before the playoffs.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:19 AM
txpd

hannan is a rental. period. except that the fedorov scenario is there. so, never say never

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Fallschirmyager

It's already been said. If by years end he fits in very well and helps further the goals then it comes down to how much does he want to get paid versus being on a top team. He would have to take less than what he makes now to stay.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 03:39 PM
piercehannigan

Giving up Flash for a rental doesn't seem right to me.

piercehannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 03:42 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehannigan View Post
A rental for a rental? What's so strange about that?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 03:45 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehannigan View Post
Flash is a UFA himself. Essentially a rental.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 05:44 PM
columbiaNW

As for Alzner, I think he's really overrated. Sure, that sounds funny to say about a 22 year old defenseman who is still coming along. But Alzner reminds me of Ryan Parent in a lot of ways. Highly touted - with a Top 4 DMan upside - coming out of juniors, but doesn't seem to be good at any one thing at the pro level. Not mobile enough to be considered offensive, or the passes to consistently ignite the rush, and not aggressive or strong enough to be considered a stay-at-home. He strikes me as the garden variety type that will top out at 4/5.

I don't dislike Alzner at all, I just think he has so many holes in his game, and I'm not sure there is any one thing we can hang our hat on. He was an absolute stud in juniors, but not much has translated into his pro game.

columbiaNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiaNW View Post
As for Alzner, I think he's really overrated. Sure, that sounds funny to say about a 22 year old defenseman who is still coming along. But Alzner reminds me of Ryan Parent in a lot of ways. Highly touted - with a Top 4 DMan upside - coming out of juniors, but doesn't seem to be good at any one thing at the pro level. Not mobile enough to be considered offensive, or the passes to consistently ignite the rush, and not aggressive or strong enough to be considered a stay-at-home. He strikes me as the garden variety type that will top out at 4/5.

I don't dislike Alzner at all, I just think he has so many holes in his game, and I'm not sure there is any one thing we can hang our hat on. He was an absolute stud in juniors, but not much has translated into his pro game.
Yea same with Carlson. Two rookies holding there own against Crosby and Malkin is nothing right? Or how about when they shut down the Stamkos line, when no one could?

Alzner has even shown a good shot from the point on a few occasions. He keeps getting better with every game he plays. It looks to me like he is living up to expectations.

Old
12-26-2010, 06:00 PM
columbiaNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Yea same with Carlson. Two rookies holding there own against Crosby and Malkin is nothing right? Or how about when they shut down the Stamkos line, when no one could?

Alzner has even shown a good shot from the point on a few occasions. He keeps getting better with every game he plays. It looks to me like he is living up to expectations.
No need to get upset.

I understand what you are trying to say. But remember, even Chris Therien shut Jaro Jagr down every time he played him. But sucked against everyone else. Now, I'm in no way or form comparing Alzner to Chris Therien, what I'm saying is, just because he plays well against Crosby (and he's NEVER shut down Stamkos, so I have no idea what that even means) doesn't mean he's not overrated.

That's sort of myopic to form your opinion on how he plays against one other player. Don't you think?

Old
12-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Capitlols

Quote:

You don't need to be either to be considered a shutdown guy. He uses positioning and stick-work to make the right plays in the D zone. However in recent games Alzner has shown some physicality and offense. Its hyperbole, but he reminds me a lot of Ryan Suter. Will never wow you offensively, but gets the job done defensively.

Old
12-26-2010, 06:13 PM
columbiaNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
You don't need to be either to be considered a shutdown guy. He uses positioning and stick-work to make the right plays in the D zone. However in recent games Alzner has shown some physicality and offense. Its hyperbole, but he reminds me a lot of Ryan Suter. Will never wow you offensively, but gets the job done defensively.
And we all see the game differently. Makes the world go round. I still think Alzner is an overrated player.

Old
12-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
And we all see the game differently. Makes the world go round. I still think Alzner is an overrated player.
Overrated by the fans? Maybe. As a player, too early to tell.

Old
12-26-2010, 06:59 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
(and he's NEVER shut down Stamkos, so I have no idea what that even means)
Fri, Nov 26... Lightning 0 and Caps 6. Carlson-Alzner pairing was out there against the Stamkos line.

Old
12-26-2010, 07:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Erm, Alzner is already a legit top-4 defenseman and hasn't even hit 100 games in the NHL yet. I don't see how he's overrated, at all.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote