HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread II (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Dirtbag59

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
the trade threads poping up are getting absurd, these other fans think the caps are looking to give green and semin away for free.
Sadly some fans would give them away for free. Of course fans are usually the ones to come up with the most ridiculous trade scenarios. Like "Okay Nashville we'll give you our, not Colorado's, our first round pick for Weber."

Old
07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I dont claim to be an expert on putting a price tag on defensive dmen.

But dunno, picking a number out of a hat, I think $3,013,433 per year is a decent offer. And probably more than George is offering.
It may be that teams have already tried to throw that type of money his way. It may be that the only teams willing to spend that much on him (given his lack of experience) are teams he's not all that interested in going to. It may be he simply doesn't want to sign an offer sheet for one reason or another. Regardless, if that's the type of money he's signing for GMGM almost certainly matches without hesitation. He wasn't willing to trade him for Pronger, I don't see him letting him go now for a 2nd rounder even if he thinks the money is high.

I'd give up a 2nd for Alzner if I had the money free to play with. The question is whether I can talk him into contemplating leaving DC (and I won't pretend to have any idea how easy or hard that would be).

Old
07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
the trade threads poping up are getting absurd, these other fans think the caps are looking to give green and semin away for free.
What? You don't like the multiple Alzner RFA offer sheets constantly spammed by Vancouver posters or Semin and Green sucks and not worth anything? .

That forum has been absurd for years. I remember when they didn't have posts requiring sources, talk about silly. I am glad Vancouver lost the SC this year and even more so after seeing the stupid Alzner RFA offer posts by some of their fans and there have been a few Oiler fans too. As long as we have talented players like Semin and Green, we'll get stupid posts about their worth etc. In the end, GMGM shows them how silly they really are. I try to stick to the Caps forum, that forum will just drive you crazy.

Old
07-07-2011, 06:24 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
I agree I dont think he will ask for as much as Jagr either. What are your thoughts on him filling the 2C void?
I always remember him on the wing, so unless he worked on his faceoffs etc, I don't think he would be a good 2C. He was good for getting in the traffic. Overall, I think some team will sign him, but his injuries and age have caught up with him. Who knows though, he might turn into a resurgent Brian Bellows for someone.

Old
07-07-2011, 06:28 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I always remember him on the wing, so unless he worked on his faceoffs etc, I don't think he would be a good 2C. He was good for getting in the traffic. Overall, I think some team will sign him, but his injuries and age have caught up with him. Who knows though, he might turn into a resurgent Brian Bellows for someone.
I wasn't sure if he played W or C with SJ.

Old
07-07-2011, 07:02 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
I wasn't sure if he played W or C with SJ.
Talking about this reminds me of when he was traded to SJ. In today's HF trade forums people have jumped off buildings over what he went for, even though Ozolinsh did help the Colorado PP and their 1996 cup run.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I dont claim to be an expert on putting a price tag on defensive dmen.

But dunno, picking a number out of a hat, I think $3,013,433 per year is a decent offer. And probably more than George is offering.
And would you think there would be even a 0.000001% chance the Caps wouldn't match that? Of course not so what would be the point?

Now you would have a target on your back whenever your RFA's came around because you gave some guy an offer sheet that wasn't in a million years going to land him and doing that screws up the system.

You only give offer sheets if you think there is a decent chance you are going to land the guy. You do that by making it a much higher offer than his team was looking to pay, when the team in question is in serious cap difficulties, or ideally both. $3 mil per and where the Caps are with respect to the cap does not in anyway qualify.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:54 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

For believers in the GVT stat: http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insid...ory?id=6746095. An excerpt:

Quote:
Biggest Jumps
According to GVT (Goals Versus Threshold -- for a full explanation, click here), the biggest winner so far this summer has clearly been the Washington Capitals. By replacing Semyon Varlamov with Tomas Vokoun in net, beefing up their blue line with Roman Hamrlik and adding great two-way depth up front with Jeff Halpern, Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward, Chris Bourque and Ryan Potulny, the Capitals have vaulted themselves into early Stanley Cup favorite status in a single week. Other than Varlamov, the only departures have been Marco Sturm and Boyd Gordon, leaving them with a net improvement of 10.2 more goals for and 19.6 fewer goals against.

What's even more amazing is that they secured what could possibly be a top-five selection from the Colorado Avalanche in the Varlamov deal, for what projects to be a very strong draft year, along with a second-round selection in either 2012 or 2013. They also got Vokoun, who has the highest even-strength save percentage since the lockout, for the insanely low price of $1.5 million. Is it too early to name George McPhee the GM of the year?
The top 5 improvements in team GVT this offseason so far:

1. Washington 29.8
2. Toronto 21.1
3. Florida 16.3
4. Rangers 14.8
5. Edmonton 12.7

And the bottom 5:

26. Nashvilee -13.4
27. Vancouver -13.0
28. Montreal -25.5
29. Philadelphia -25.9
30. Phoenix -27.6

Other teams of interest:

Tampa -13.0 (25th)
Carolina 7.4 (9th)
Colorado 1.3 (15th)
Pittsburgh -0.9 (18th)

Old
07-08-2011, 08:27 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
For believers in the GVT stat: http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insid...ory?id=6746095. An excerpt:

The top 5 improvements in team GVT this offseason so far:

1. Washington 29.8
2. Toronto 21.1
3. Florida 16.3
4. Rangers 14.8
5. Edmonton 12.7

And the bottom 5:

26. Nashvilee -13.4
27. Vancouver -13.0
28. Montreal -25.5
29. Philadelphia -25.9
30. Phoenix -27.6

Other teams of interest:

Tampa -13.0 (25th)
Carolina 7.4 (9th)
Colorado 1.3 (15th)
Pittsburgh -0.9 (18th)
Do these figures include RFAs who haven't signed (for example Stamkos in TB)? Also, that Colorado number needs to come down a lot, preferably into the -30 range

Old
07-08-2011, 08:51 AM
txpd

i assume that praising mcphee is proof that the media involved doesnt know much

Old
07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i assume that praising mcphee is proof that the media involved doesnt know much
Almost no one who posts here has criticized McPhee since July 1st. You have a serious problem.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:08 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Almost no one who posts here has criticized McPhee since July 1st. You have a serious problem.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:14 AM
txpd

the mcphee bash is only on hiatus. lets be honest. as long a semin and boudreau remain, mcphee and leonsis are also baffoons. just give it time. let the vokoun signing wear off a bit and the anti mcphee will return in force.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
the mcphee bash is only on hiatus. lets be honest. as long a semin and boudreau remain, mcphee and leonsis are also baffoons. just give it time. let the vokoun signing wear off a bit and the anti mcphee will return in force.
This whole discussion was specifically about McPhee's moves on July 1st though.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:36 AM
txpd

i am aware that this was about july 1st. that said many to most that have been on the anti mcphee side of the program here i would bet have not changed their minds about him as a result of the ufa period.

i would further suggest that while reasonably quiet of late many of them dont like the laich contract or the ward deal. there were several that felt a 1st was a severe overpayment for brouwer. only the vokoun signing and to a lesser extent the varly trade have come in with strong support.

am i wrong?

Old
07-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
This whole discussion was specifically about McPhee's moves on July 1st though.
Sure but isn't every conversation around really about the moves he didn't make, ie not moving Semin, Schultz, maybe even Green, and not canning Boudreau of course...?

Old
07-08-2011, 10:43 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Seems most of the conversation still seems to be Boudreau hatred.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'm not sure of many number of posters that are "anti-GMGM". A handful, sure. But not enough that irony or sarcasm reaches the level of humor IMHO.

Many more have concerns or wishes... but not to the point of "anti".

Obviously my issue with GMGM centers around his devotion to BB. And I so hope I am wrong this season. Maybe the players talking accountability will drive the team toward what should be inherently coming from the coaching staff.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
i am aware that this was about july 1st. that said many to most that have been on the anti mcphee side of the program here i would bet have not changed their minds about him as a result of the ufa period.

i would further suggest that while reasonably quiet of late many of them dont like the laich contract or the ward deal. there were several that felt a 1st was a severe overpayment for brouwer. only the vokoun signing and to a lesser extent the varly trade have come in with strong support.

am i wrong?
So you're saying that the GMGM haters would be out in full force if you took away all his good moves but left all his questionable moves from July 1? Yeah... I'd say that's reasonable.

I think it's safe to say he wouldn't be getting the media love either, if all he did was re-sign Laich and sign Ward and Brouwer.

You really do go looking for confrontation sometimes.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Bananas

Ted: Well, we just got swept and looked horrible doing it. What should we do?

GMGM: Well, Bruce is a great coach so it's not like he's the problem. I'll make some roster changes and maybe hire some new assistants.

Ted: You're fired.

-----
That's how it should have gone down. GMGM should have never made it to July 1st for his decision to retain BB. If this was his plan, however, keep the coach and upgrade the roster- I think he's done that. I guess time will tell if he's equipped to build a winner. Keeping the coach tells me his judgement is massively flawed on some level. Perhaps his obvious knack for acquiring talent will make up for it.

There was a lively debate on whether or not to keep McPhee. When it comes to Boudreau? Not so much.

Old
07-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Millhaus

So if a pro Semin 'story' is written and nobody runs it down on this message board did it really get written?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...IQAx3Y31H_blog

Old
07-08-2011, 11:27 AM
LetsGoBears

Did they really put Chris Bourque and Ryan Potulny numbers into those calculations?

Old
07-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Langway
Intangibles

So you're saying the top two lines have been the most productive over the past few years? Never would have guessed. Unbelievable.

Old
07-08-2011, 11:33 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
So you're saying the top two lines have been the most productive over the past few years? Never would have guessed. Unbelievable.

Old
07-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Maybe the players talking accountability will drive the team toward what should be inherently coming from the coaching staff.
Do you really think the players are going to make the adjustments that need to be made on their own? I mean sure we can reasonably hope that Backstrom and Ovechkin come into camp in much better shape than last year but the rest is mostly up to the coaches IMO.

I mean I don't expect the players to come up with their own zone entry schemes and practice them on their own time and it is things like that that stand out to me as the most important changes that need to be implemented.

Closed Thread