HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread II (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am aware that this was about july 1st. that said many to most that have been on the anti mcphee side of the program here i would bet have not changed their minds about him as a result of the ufa period.

i would further suggest that while reasonably quiet of late many of them dont like the laich contract or the ward deal. there were several that felt a 1st was a severe overpayment for brouwer. only the vokoun signing and to a lesser extent the varly trade have come in with strong support.

am i wrong?
In addition to what other people have said: Disagreeing with particular moves does not constitute hate towards McPhee. I absolutely hate the Laich contract and don't want him on the team at even close to that salary or as a top-six forward, but I consider myself a pretty big supporter of GMGM.

I really think you have delusions, or something. I think a huge majority of the people who regularly post here have mostly positive opinions of McPhee.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm still waiting to hear Greenberg's reaction/retraction to his Perrault vs. Johansson projection from preseason last year.

I can't believe they put that putz's stuff on espn.com. I can use stats somebody else tracks and make silly/obvious/stupid conclusions too.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:06 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
So you're saying the top two lines have been the most productive over the past few years? Never would have guessed. Unbelievable.
Full retard post in that blog. Most fans only see turnovers and offensive zone penalties. How about most morons see only scoring.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:09 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'm still waiting to hear Greenberg's reaction/retraction to his Perrault vs. Johansson projection from preseason last year.

I can't believe they put that putz's stuff on espn.com. I can use stats somebody else tracks and make silly/obvious/stupid conclusions too.
Well...at least he has the look down.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:11 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Do you really think the players are going to make the adjustments that need to be made on their own? I mean sure we can reasonably hope that Backstrom and Ovechkin come into camp in much better shape than last year but the rest is mostly up to the coaches IMO.

I mean I don't expect the players to come up with their own zone entry schemes and practice them on their own time and it is things like that that stand out to me as the most important changes that need to be implemented.
I said maybe All we have now is hope in changes. And IF we are to believe the confluence of BB's quotes and Laich/Knuble's quotes that (1) it the players per BB and (2) players need to be accountable to their teammates and coaches... then PERHAPS BB is preparing the information correctly, but the players aren't recieving it or beholden to it.

While I would still blame the coach for that scenario... PERHAPS it can be eleviated by leaders in the lockerroom doing BB's job or holding each other accountable.

Its a stretch. Do I BET on it... no. The fan in me has to hope.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Well I wouldn't be holding your breath waiting for that mea culpa.

I agree this guy's 'analysis' doesn't usually scratch the surface of putting numbers in any kind of meaningful context but there is usually some reaction to his pieces around here it seems. I found it interesting that this one produced nothing from the peanut gallery.

Last edited by Millhaus: 07-08-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old
07-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

My read on the accountability angle that had been raised since the draft is that it's partly going to require re-education of some of the current crew and partly an exodus of dogs who are beyond learning new tricks. Bringing in some of the new faces, and the type of games they play, will help to surround the core with good veteran role models that have playoff experience.

I don't pretend to know what is going to happen, but those who are stridently predicting that Semin is going nowhere are too absolute, in my opinion. I think he's very possibly on the trade market; not because they have to move him for cap reasons, but because they may want to move him. This summer has been all about attitude adjustment and becoming a harder team for opponents to play.

The Capitals could conceivably land any number of quality assets in return. In discussing a possible Semin trade openly, Vogel on Wednesday suggested on Caps Report that there are clubs for whom the short term nature of Semin's deal is appealing rather than a negative aspect of the contract. It's high, but it's short. It represents a minimal commitment. So often the argument used a to why he won't be traded is that the Caps could never get sufficient return to justify moving him. That's not necessarily true. He could have better value than is the HF consensus.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I said maybe All we have now is hope in changes. And IF we are to believe the confluence of BB's quotes and Laich/Knuble's quotes that (1) it the players per BB and (2) players need to be accountable to their teammates and coaches... then PERHAPS BB is preparing the information correctly, but the players aren't recieving it or beholden to it.

While I would still blame the coach for that scenario... PERHAPS it can be eleviated by leaders in the lockerroom doing BB's job or holding each other accountable.

Its a stretch. Do I BET on it... no. The fan in me has to hope.
Yeah the problem with that scenario is that at least some of the time we could point to things the Caps do with the puck that is clearly part of 'the plan.' If they did it some of the time but just were not disciplined enough to stick with it when the going got tough I could buy the players needing to be more accountable to themselves and the coaches. That just isn't the case.

I can point to one game all season where they actually tried an organized PP entry scheme. It was a common one used by a lot of teams and since they were obviously doing it all game they were clearly coached to do it. The entry scheme worked well, especially for a team using it for the first time, and they had a ton of controlled zone time as a result. Unfortunately they could not convert that zone time into PP goals though but that is a different issue.

The next game I was looking for the PP to build on what they had done the previous game but the entry scheme had been scrapped and it was a free for all again with predictable results. I was less than pleased...

Old
07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

To me Semin *might* be a pretty nice gamble for a team that wants to try to make the playoffs but isn't totally confident.

He makes a lot but you're not committed to him long term, so as long as you're not at the cap you can probably live with it. He has a potentially very high impact but he's a guy that you could dangle at the trade deadline if it doesn't work out.

I just don't know what that translates to in terms of trade value, and I have no idea (obviously) what it would take for GMGM to move him.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Perhaps Semin for Bogosian?

Old
07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I just think its really really hard to figure out what return may justify his movement. I'd think that if they were completely done with him he would have been gone a while ago.

If GMGM is trying to find that sweet spot of return to get an acceptable SC caliber 2nd line ex-semin... then perhaps he's not beyond help in their mind. This is where I have to believe they are with him.

And if that's the case, I just can't even begin to speculate correctly. You'd have to get a solid 2-way big center and a skilled RW. Getting just one wouldn't cut it IMHO. Cause Laich would be a staple on the LW.

The trades board post of DRW sending Filpulla + 1st works in value for me. But a 2nd line of Laich-Flip-Brouwer just doesn't work enough secondary scoring IMO. You may puck protect and draw penalties. But I don't see the motivation to send semin away and end up with this line.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I'd trade Wideman+ for Bogo, don't see how a Semin-Bogo swap solves anything.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
And then Green or Wideman for someone who can put the puck in the net? I mean how many right shot blueliners can a team have?

And without at least a reasonable attempt to replace Semin in the lineup up front this team is going to struggle to score. How turning this team into an offensively challenged one gets them closer to the promised land I have no idea.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I'd trade Wideman+ for Bogo, don't see how a Semin-Bogo swap solves anything.
I wouldn't if we wanted to compete.

But whatever helps dropping BB!

edit: Millhaus good post above. You don't have to convince me on the structural issues.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:46 PM
EroCaps

Any deal involving Semin has to include a top 6 forward and prospects/picks.

Bogosian would be a coup, but it takes too much away from the Caps up front.

*Unless they also move Schultz+Fehr for said forward.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
And then Green or Wideman for someone who can put the puck in the net? I mean how many right shot blueliners can a team have?

And without at least a reasonable attempt to replace Semin in the lineup up front this team is going to struggle to score. How turning this team into an offensively challenged one gets them closer to the promised land I have no idea.
Semin + Green

for

Bogosian + Kane

Old
07-08-2011, 12:52 PM
txpd

isnt bogo another young defenseman with limited playoff experience? do the caps really need another player in the catagory regardless of ability?

Old
07-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Capitlols

WPG has their Green:

Old
07-08-2011, 12:54 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Semin + Green

for

Bogosian + Kane
Jets get bent over.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:57 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Unless we can get someone like Weiss, there's no point trading him. Cross your fingers, hope for 75 games, 80 points and a hot streak in April.

Old
07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Double.

Old
07-08-2011, 01:02 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Unless we can get someone like Weiss, there's no point trading him. Cross your fingers, hope for 75 games, 80 points and a hot streak in April.
hot streak in june?

Old
07-08-2011, 01:03 PM

I keep reading Semin to Montreal.

Old
07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Efactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
I keep reading Semin to Montreal.