HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread II (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2011, 09:27 PM
kmart

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
Our bottom 6 is significantly better.
Offense: upgraded
i must say its hard to predict how these grinders will pan out in dc, one good playoff series doesnt make them/him solid players, as caps fans we should know that :/ time will tell if they are going to succeed, right know the bottom six is a question mark for me at best, i cant see them shutting down top lines right now, i hope they prove me wrong.

Old
07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin16182 View Post
Yeah, this probably wont work at all just due to the fact that Holland would be too worried about Semin being a rental, and therefore will be reluctant to give what Washington would want in return.
give us lindstrom, that makes it rental vs rental, he would our new coach.

Old
07-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Dustin16182

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
give us lindstrom, that makes it rental vs rental, he would our new coach.
My crack at the trade wasn't that good, i understand, but i don't even know if this is trolling, or if you are actually serious?

I'm thinking the outcome of a trade like this would be a lot like the Lang trade where we gave you Fleischman + picks, one of which turned out to be Mike G.

So far that trade worked out for both teams, and a similar trade like this would again make the wings a "win now" team, give you guys cap relief and give you some building blocks too.

Old
07-16-2011, 09:46 PM
HTFN

Quote:
My crack at the trade wasn't that good, i understand, but i don't even know if this is trolling, or if you are actually serious?

I'm thinking the outcome of a trade like this would be a lot like the Lang trade where we gave you Fleischman + picks, one of which turned out to be Mike G.

So far that trade worked out for both teams, and a similar trade like this would again make the wings a "win now" team, give you guys cap relief and give you some building blocks too.
The Capitals aren't rebuilding anymore, and don't really need cap relief anymore either.

Old
07-16-2011, 10:09 PM
txpd

Quote:

the caps that traded lang for futures was a last place team selling off all its good veteran players for a complete rebuild. this capitals are in the same position as the red wings. cup contenders looking to get over the top.

trading off semin for futures helps the wings in their quest. not the caps.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:47 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...0&blogger_id=1

Eklund is a complete trash reporter and has almost no credibility, however, I would love this from a detroit perspective. I don't think we have a whole lot that you guys would want in return.

I was thinking Hudler + Tatar (many wings fans will hate me for involving tatar) and conditional picks if Semin resigns with Detroit.
Sorry I don't see this happening at all unless Detroit overpays. The Caps are just like the Red Wings from 1992-1995. We are young, have lots of prospects already, have stars at key positions along with playoff disappointments. This is the off season where we went after players to support our stars, not stay in constant rebuild. Hopefully, Ward, Brouwer, and Vokoun become our Draper, Maltby, and Vernon type guys to get us to the SCF or the SC. Personally, I don't see the Caps making any trades with the Red Wings, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver, or EC contenders this year.

Old
07-17-2011, 02:49 AM
HTFN

While we were talking about Iginla (yeah, yeah, I know) and what he'd bring to the RW position, I got to thinking, and while I know it's really a stretch and the stars would have to align, what would you all think about the team kicking the tires on Daniel Alfredsson at the deadline, should he wish to be traded to a Cup contender? Again, assuming that he's willing to be traded, I have a hard time believing that the rebuilding Senators would spite him and deny his request to at least test the market and see what kind of interest he generates, and it's not like the Caps can't put together a package that would at least give the Senators a pause for thought.

The unfortunate sticking point is that the best way I saw to ship out players and snag Alfredsson meant Poti on LTIR (likely), but also sending Schultz and Chimera back the other way, and not getting a defenseman back in the deal, forcing a certain Russian someone up to the opening night roster (or Collins, maybe McNeill).

The only problem I see is that Alfredsson's 35+ contract extends until the end of the 2012-2013 season, and that assuming he continues to decline he wouldn't be worth his cap hit after this coming year.

Still, while it's just bored conjecture, feels like Alfredsson could bring something dangerous to this team. Perhaps since Alfredsson isn't a marquee player anymore and the players going in return aren't really top value, Schultz + Chimera + Boston's 2nd (2012) is enough? I'm sure I'm probably underestimating the return Alfredsson would demand, even now.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Alexander Semin ($6.700m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.875m)
Troy Brouwer ($2.350m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Mattias Sjogren ($0.900m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.825m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m)
Jay Beagle ($0.512m) / Christian Hanson ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Roman Hamrlik ($3.500m) / Mike Green ($5.250m)
Karl Alzner ($1.285m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
Dmitri Orlov ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($1.500m) / Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS: Tyler Sloan ($0.233m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,252,628; BONUSES: $260,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $47,372

EDIT: Oh, it also meant getting King off the roster.

Last edited by HTFN: 07-17-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old
07-17-2011, 03:01 AM
NewClearWinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
i must say its hard to predict how these grinders will pan out in dc, one good playoff series doesnt make them/him solid players, as caps fans we should know that :/ time will tell if they are going to succeed, right know the bottom six is a question mark for me at best, i cant see them shutting down top lines right now, i hope they prove me wrong.
I guess I'm just more optimistic than you. But you're right, only time will tell. Since there is nothing I can do personally, I'm sticking with the brighter side. I like what GMGM has done. And I'm happy knowing that if BB fails this year, he is most likely gone.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:03 AM
NewClearWinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
While we were talking about Iginla (yeah, yeah, I know) and what he'd bring to the RW position, I got to thinking, and while I know it's really a stretch and the stars would have to align, what would you all think about the team kicking the tires on Daniel Alfredsson at the deadline, should he wish to be traded to a Cup contender? Again, assuming that he's willing to be traded, I have a hard time believing that the rebuilding Senators would spite him and deny his request to at least test the market and see what kind of interest he generates, and it's not like the Caps can't put together a package that would at least give the Senators a pause for thought.

The unfortunate sticking point is that the best way I saw to ship out players and snag Alfredsson meant Poti on LTIR (likely), but also sending Schultz and Chimera back the other way, and not getting a defenseman back in the deal, forcing a certain Russian someone up to the opening night roster (or Collins, maybe McNeill).

The only problem I see is that Alfredsson's 35+ contract extends until the end of the 2012-2013 season, and that assuming he continues to decline he wouldn't be worth his cap hit after this coming year.

Still, while it's just bored conjecture, feels like Alfredsson could bring something dangerous to this team. Perhaps since Alfredsson isn't a marquee player anymore and the players going in return aren't really top value, Schultz + Chimera + Boston's 2nd (2012) is enough? I'm sure I'm probably underestimating the return Alfredsson would demand, even now.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Alexander Semin ($6.700m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.875m)
Troy Brouwer ($2.350m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Mattias Sjogren ($0.900m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.825m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m)
Jay Beagle ($0.512m) / Christian Hanson ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Roman Hamrlik ($3.500m) / Mike Green ($5.250m)
Karl Alzner ($1.285m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
Dmitri Orlov ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($1.500m) / Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS: Tyler Sloan ($0.233m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,252,628; BONUSES: $260,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $47,372

EDIT: Oh, it also meant getting King off the roster.
Love it. I like Chimera, but given how strong our bottom six is, he is now expendable. Also, I have no issue with Shultz being gone. The trouble is, how would this trade help the Sens really?

Old
07-17-2011, 03:36 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
Love it. I like Chimera, but given how strong our bottom six is, he is now expendable. Also, I have no issue with Shultz being gone. The trouble is, how would this trade help the Sens really?
That's my sticking point as well. I'd love to be able to feed people some bull**** about Schultz being a good, stay at home partner for Karlsson with the ability to log big minutes, but of course we know better than that. Chimera seems pretty desirable to a good number of teams, and I don't see why he couldn't fit in (though of course he's not a prime player). I thought about seeing if Bouchard would be a good addition, as a guy with skill who has seemingly run out of room to grow in the organization, and of course the 2nd is one in a deep draft.

Like I said, I'm sure it's not enough, but upon further consideration, I wouldn't think long and hard about Schultz+Chimera+1st, or adding Perreault and changing Boston's second to Colorado's 2nd in 2013.

If push really comes to shove, maybe Schultz+Chimera+Galiev would get it done, but even Jeff ****ing Schultz has to be better than Brian Lee.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I don't think Ottawa jumps at the original package. They aren't going to trade their biggest star for a package of stopgap depth players and only a 2nd to show for it going forward. If they're trading Alfie, they're going to trade him for a significant futures package and/or young player(s). We didn't ship out guys like Bondra, Gonchar, or Lang for stopgap players, we shipped them out for prospects (Laich, Fleischmann, ShaMo) and picks (Green, Schultz).

Schultz has some value and is still relatively young, but I can't see him being the centerpiece of a deal for Alfie. And given our cap status, we'd need to ship salary out (and you're correctly picking the movable contracts). We'd likely have to make it a 3-team deal or two separate trades. One to move salary out for picks/prospects, and one to send picks/prospects to Ottawa for Alfredsson.

But the loss of Schultz without a replacement is scary. As much as we whip Schultz, he's still a proven NHL player. Our defense would be awfully thin if we traded him. Unless McNeill or Orlov really show they can play at the NHL level, I would be very hesitant to trade Schultz and not have a replacement for him.

And Alfredsson's significant contract scares me. He still has term left and it's a 35+ deal. Most signs point to him being in the rapid decline portion of his career. I have a hard time thinking we'll see anything close to the 20/50/70 stat lines he posted a couple years ago, let alone the 40 goal, 90-100 point lines he had after the lockout ended. He's probably a 15 goal, 35-40 point player at this stage of his career. And carries an almost $5M cap hit.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:22 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Agreed. As much as I want sarge gone, it's only for hannan or a very very very similar replacement.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:09 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Agreed. As much as I want sarge gone, it's only for hannan or a very very very similar replacement.
I wish this would happen. I don't understand why it is so hard to trade Schultz and not offer the money we are paying him to Hannan for 1 or 2 years. My guess is GMGM seeks a 1st rounder or something due to Schultz contract length, age, and the rank he was drafted. It appears Hannan isn't getting the demand he thought he would have. I think it is reasonable to offer Hannan a 2 year, 6 million deal. As far as getting a return on Schultz, I am one of those who don't care about a return. Just get him off the roster. He isn't going to turn into a physical or shutdown defenseman ever.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I think it is reasonable to offer Hannan a 2 year, 6 million deal. As far as getting a return on Schultz, I am one of those who don't care about a return. Just get him off the roster. He isn't going to turn into a physical or shutdown defenseman ever.

Amen. Schultz is a liability. Hannan is solid on D and a good character guy. The only thing that'd be better than Hannan is a guy who is violent, and so concerns opposing forwards entering our zone, and who can play good D at the same time.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:56 PM
um

Quote:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...0&blogger_id=1

Eklund is a complete trash reporter and has almost no credibility, however, I would love this from a detroit perspective. I don't think we have a whole lot that you guys would want in return.

I was thinking Hudler + Tatar (many wings fans will hate me for involving tatar) and conditional picks if Semin resigns with Detroit.
how about filppula and cleary for semin

Old
07-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Ridley Simon

Sergei Samsanov

I'd really like to see us sign him a 1yr deal. 2-2.5m He's be a grreat add on to the top 6, and with Poti on LTIR, and DJ King in the minors, we'd have the money to do it. He's a play maker and a scorer, and makes the top 3 lines extremely deep and dangerous (and he's still available)

Ovechkin- Backstrom- Knuble
Samsanov - Johnasson - Semin
Brouwer - Laich - Ward
Chimera - Halpern - Hendricks
Beagle - Sjostrom (Eakin?)

Hamrlik - Green
Carlson - Alzner
Schultz - Wideman
Erskine

Vokoun
Neuvirth

Old
07-17-2011, 01:05 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
how about filppula and cleary for semin
Filppula sucks. He's a softer, less offensively gifted, smaller Fleischmann.

I'd do something like Semin/Schultz for Kronwall/Cleary. Even though that's solid value, I'd still be hesitant as our second line gets offensively neutered big time.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I'd really like to see us sign him a 1yr deal. 2-2.5m He's be a grreat add on to the top 6, and with Poti on LTIR, and DJ King in the minors, we'd have the money to do it. He's a play maker and a scorer, and makes the top 3 lines extremely deep and dangerous (and he's still available)

Ovechkin- Backstrom- Knuble
Samsanov - Johnasson - Semin
Brouwer - Laich - Ward
Chimera - Halpern - Hendricks
Beagle - Sjostrom (Eakin?)

Hamrlik - Green
Carlson - Alzner
Schultz - Wideman
Erskine

Vokoun
Neuvirth
i rather go after stillman if we can

Old
07-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Filppula sucks. He's a softer, less offensively gifted, smaller Fleischmann.
This.

Fact is, we don't make good trading partners with Detroit.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I wish this would happen. I don't understand why it is so hard to trade Schultz and not offer the money we are paying him to Hannan for 1 or 2 years. My guess is GMGM seeks a 1st rounder or something due to Schultz contract length, age, and the rank he was drafted. It appears Hannan isn't getting the demand he thought he would have. I think it is reasonable to offer Hannan a 2 year, 6 million deal. As far as getting a return on Schultz, I am one of those who don't care about a return. Just get him off the roster. He isn't going to turn into a physical or shutdown defenseman ever.
He's hedgin his bets long term vs what might be just a minor upgrade. That viny goal ot line change may be on his mind.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Cleary is a gamer, dude brings it every night .... and I'm pretty confident every team in the league would want a shot at him.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Ridley Simon

yeah, Det and Wash dont make good trade partners. How often do you see 2 Cup contenders making a deal? How about almost never?

Old
07-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
We had a top 6 guy making between 2 and 2.5M for one year. His name was Eric Fehr. We traded him. Why would we add another via free agency?

We're already tangoing right up against the salary cap. You can work a little bit of magic to allow for a move like this, but it would just put the team in a worse bind. We need some breathing room for call-ups and minor injuries.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
We had a top 6 guy making between 2 and 2.5M for one year. His name was Eric Fehr. We traded him. Why would we add another via free agency?

We're already tangoing right up against the salary cap. You can work a little bit of magic to allow for a move like this, but it would just put the team in a worse bind. We need some breathing room for call-ups and minor injuries.

Not the same, remotely.

Fehr is not Samsanov.

We are also now in a position to have a signed Karl Alzner at 1.3m (ish), not the 2.5-3.0m people were fretting about. We need another top 6 forward for offensive depth. Do you see someone better that we could acquire wihtout giving up assets? Stillman is an option too, but I see him as being a bit more expensive.

You think the Caps top 6 is ok? Top 9? We need one more forward in the mix, IMO. And I would like to see it be a vet who isn't injury prone (2 things Fehr isnt).

Old
07-17-2011, 03:27 PM
txpd

samsanov is a 10-15 goal scorer at best these days. do the caps really want him?

Closed Thread