HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread II (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Strong rumours of a Semin to Hockeytown deal.

If so, I'd wager that Hudler will be involved, and probably a few picks.

Hmmmm...
So you believe McPhee was flat out lying to Hradek then or did you just not read the article?

Old
07-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
No one wants Semin.
Except McPhee of course...

Quote:
"We like Semin because he can score goals," McPhee said Monday, squashing the latest round of Semin trade tales. "Those guys aren't easy to find."

Old
07-21-2011, 08:31 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I see the problem with it. It means Bruce probably couldnt keep them in line, and by expecting them to keep others in line, is a feeble attempt to keep themselves in line. Its almost an admission bruce cant control them.

Its really all normal stuff though, a 25 year old kid expected to lead a team. If he had his way, he would lead them right to the best club in town. George needs to tell Ovi, shape up or I will Keenanyoass.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:40 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Are we on this again?

No one wants Semin.
And as much as I agree with you, even fewer people want Hudler.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:45 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So you believe McPhee was flat out lying to Hradek then or did you just not read the article?
I'm sorry, but I did note that this was speculation.

To answer your question, I didn't read the article.

But tell me if you agree with me.

When my buddy John the Goon was alive, we had set up this one Sunday for me to come over and watch football and play Techmo Superbowl (the old 8 bit version: a GREAT game).

I promised I'd come.

But Sunday morning, there was a knock at my door: my (then) wife's brother had driven down from the UP (in Michigan) and surprised us with a visit. So I didn't go to John's.

John was angry and said I had "lied" to him.

Me: "I didn't lie."

Him: "You promised you'd come. Did you show up? So you lied."

Me: "No... I had every intention of coming, but I didn't know we'd have a surprise visit paid to us.."

If the Wings sweetened the pot, and McPhee was suddenly confronted by a better deal, he may take it. And to me, that's not lieing.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:49 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
And as much as I agree with you, even fewer people want Hudler.
I agree about Huds. How would we feel about Flippula?

Old
07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are we on this again?

No one wants Semin.
He's wanted, just not at much of a price. It's apparent the entire league is aware of Semin's warts. Now if only his fanboys would wake up and smell the coffee.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:55 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
I agree about Huds. How would we feel about Flippula?
Pass on anything that even involves Hudler.

Filppula, hard to say - I liked what I saw of him, but it was in very limited viewing, and I don't know if the immediate value is there to replace Semin even if one of their top prospects was part of the package. Wings fans seem split on Filppula. I would be more inclined to send Semin over there if the Caps added (WSH 1st maybe?) to get Zetterberg, which seems highly unlikely.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:56 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Are we on this again?

No one wants Semin.
I'd wager someone wants Semin a heck of a whole lot more than anyone wants Hudler.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I did note that this was speculation.

To answer your question, I didn't read the article.

But tell me if you agree with me.

When my buddy John the Goon was alive, we had set up this one Sunday for me to come over and watch football and play Techmo Superbowl (the old 8 bit version: a GREAT game).

I promised I'd come.

But Sunday morning, there was a knock at my door: my (then) wife's brother had driven down from the UP (in Michigan) and surprised us with a visit. So I didn't go to John's.

John was angry and said I had "lied" to him.

Me: "I didn't lie."

Him: "You promised you'd come. Did you show up? So you lied."

Me: "No... I had every intention of coming, but I didn't know we'd have a surprise visit paid to us.."

If the Wings sweetened the pot, and McPhee was suddenly confronted by a better deal, he may take it. And to me, that's not lieing.
Well, I thought it was a very lovely story, and you tell it so well, with such enthusiasm...

The Caps aren't going to deal away Semin for Hudler and picks or anyone who realistically would be dealt away by the Wings and picks.

The Caps want to win now, just like the Wings. They don't have a Semin replacement who is available to them in the system like they did with Holtby for Varlamov. Next year when Kuznetsov will likely be available? Sure but not now. And Hudler is no replacement for Semin. So why do the Caps make this move?

Quote:
"We've made our moves," he continued. "I don't anticipate us making any other changes. If I go into the season with this group, I'm fine with that."

Old
07-21-2011, 09:06 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well, I thought it was a very lovely story, and you tell it so well, with such enthusiasm...

The Caps aren't going to deal away Semin for Hudler and picks or anyone who realistically would be dealt away by the Wings and picks.

The Caps want to win now, just like the Wings. They don't have a Semin replacement who is available to them in the system like they did with Holtby for Varlamov. Next year when Kuznetsov will likely be available? Sure but not now. And Hudler is no replacement for Semin. So why do the Caps make this move?
Come on, you know the answer. It's because it makes the Wings better, which is BTCG's first priority.

Old
07-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Are we on this again?

No one wants Semin.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Capitlols

So Poti's agent is saying he is working out with trainers with the 'intent' of being ready by training camp. Assuming he is healthy by then, would the team trade a Dman(Schultz) to make room or bury Poti?

Old
07-21-2011, 02:02 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Poti won't be ready.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:03 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
So Poti's agent is saying he is working out with trainers with the 'intent' of being ready by training camp. Assuming he is healthy by then, would the team trade a Dman(Schultz) to make room or bury Poti?
Interesting question.

I mean, even if Poti somehow comes into camp 100%, can you trust him to stay healthy for a season?

Old
07-21-2011, 02:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

That's just it....I think someone has to ride the pine for a long time before they feel they have too many bodies. If Poti stays healthy for 6 months....maybe you make a trade then...

Old
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Interesting question.

I mean, even if Poti somehow comes into camp 100%, can you trust him to stay healthy for a season?
I don't think so. If he's healthy, he's a goner.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:28 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Are we on this again?

No one wants Semin.
Every team with cap space would LOVE to have this player. He just needs more to work with around him in terms of toughness ..a player who creates space by his physical play.

I think lots of Caps fans are spoiled. There is a measurable difference when he is not in the lineup IMO.

So what he takes a few penalties by being over aggressive? I'd prefer that to a passive Flash type player.

An a BIG NO to trading him for mediocre players like Filpulla and Hudler. We'd have to get a Brendan Morrow impact type player back and no one will fork that up due to Semin's contract situation.

In summary every team would want him on their roster but they just don't have enough to give up to get him (based on his value to the Caps).

If he went on waivers there would be 29 teams who would file a claim for him.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Strong rumours of a Semin to Hockeytown deal.

If so, I'd wager that Hudler will be involved, and probably a few picks.

Hmmmm...
No, Hudler stinks. Picks and Hudler for a 35 goals scorer? Eff NO. Keep the Wings trash please. Franzen sure, but not Hudler

Old
07-21-2011, 02:43 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
No ****. Mainly because they wouldn't have to give up anything for him but the waiver fee.

As for trading....no one would want to move anything of value for him.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Stewie G

It sounds like that when people say "No one wants Semin", they really mean "No one wants to give up anything close to what the Caps would want in return for Semin".

Old
07-21-2011, 03:21 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Interesting question.

Japers addressed all the scenarios involving Poti today. According to the article, the best or most likely situations for the Capitals is to either LTIR or waive him and if he clears send him to Hershey, either way it helps out the cap situation.

If there was any truth to the Islanders trade thread on the main boards, I'd love for the Capitals to send him and Schultz to them for some picks.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:37 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Japers addressed all the scenarios involving Poti today. According to the article, the best or most likely situations for the Capitals is to either LTIR or waive him and if he clears send him to Hershey, either way it helps out the cap situation.

If there was any truth to the Islanders trade thread on the main boards, I'd love for the Capitals to send him and Schultz to them for some picks.
Yeah, that was the best breakdown I've seen of the situation.

To me, waivers seems like an extreme for a guy that by all accounts they like. But can you risk clearing the cap space to keep him if you think he's out halfway through the season? I'm not sure I could do it, so if it came to it I wouldn't be against parting ways in whatever way it took.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Every team with cap space would LOVE to have this player. He just needs more to work with around him in terms of toughness ..a player who creates space by his physical play.

I think lots of Caps fans are spoiled. There is a measurable difference when he is not in the lineup IMO.

So what he takes a few penalties by being over aggressive? I'd prefer that to a passive Flash type player.

An a BIG NO to trading him for mediocre players like Filpulla and Hudler. We'd have to get a Brendan Morrow impact type player back and no one will fork that up due to Semin's contract situation.
In summary every team would want him on their roster but they just don't have enough to give up to get him (based on his value to the Caps).

Bingo. Unless its a salary dump (which its NOT), we arent taking on crap from any other team, especially the Wings. I could see a trade similar to Segotuchi/Burns or Heatley/Havlat for Semin if it ever happens.

Or we simply let him walk, and fill in the salary slot.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
No ****. Mainly because they wouldn't have to give up anything for him but the waiver fee.

As for trading....no one would want to move anything of value for him.

San Jose got Havlat for Dany Heatley. Heatley and Semin are pretty comparable IMO.

Closed Thread