HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread II (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2011, 03:55 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
No, Hudler stinks. Picks and Hudler for a 35 goals scorer? Eff NO. Keep the Wings trash please. Franzen sure, but not Hudler
No way for Hudler, but Filppula and + would be worth it. A two-way #2 C who shows up in the playoffs on a good deal? Yes, please. The Caps can replace any drop-off in goals easily at the deadline with the picks and have Kuznetsov and who knows who else coming over next year.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
San Jose got Havlat for Dany Heatley. Heatley and Semin are pretty comparable IMO.
Heatley is signed for three seasons, and isn't a flight risk.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:06 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Heatley is signed for three seasons, and isn't a flight risk.
He's also not as good, older, and I think still a bit more of a headcase.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
No way for Hudler, but Filppula and + would be worth it. A two-way #2 C who shows up in the playoffs on a good deal? Yes, please. The Caps can replace any drop-off in goals easily at the deadline with the picks and have Kuznetsov and who knows who else coming over next year.
Filppula is not a #2 C. I think his two-way play is being grossly overstated and his struggle to break 40 points being understated.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:16 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I don't keep track of the Caps prospects, but whats the deal with Anton Gustafsson getting waived? Is he just not suited for the NA game? Complete bust?

Sorry if I'm asking about this in the wrong place, just didn't see it being discussed anywhere.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:39 PM
CrashTheNet9

I don't think he is very good and that he even wants to play in North America.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:46 PM
txpd

* anton said last season that he didnt want to play hockey anymore. he's old news really

* fippula is a red wing which elevates his perception for many.

Old
07-21-2011, 06:05 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
No way for Hudler, but Filppula and + would be worth it. A two-way #2 C who shows up in the playoffs on a good deal? Yes, please.
I know you're like the captain of Team I Hate Semin, but this sumation of Filppula is absurd. He never breaks 40 points. His playoff PPG is worse than Semin's. He is an average PKer at best. He brings nothing to the table from a grit, physical, shot blocking perspective. He's been a minus player back-to-back years on an excellent team.

It is not at all clear that there is a SINGLE element of his game that is superior to Semin's other than his ability not to take as many dopey stick penalties. I see no reason to believe that he would beat out MaJo for a #2C position.

Old
07-21-2011, 06:09 PM
sunnydaycrash

As frustrating as Semin is at times, the idea of Filppula or Hudler coming to the Caps in exchange for him is deflating.

Schultz for Filppula ?....sure.

Semin for a top 4 D, or a high end prospect and then sign Hannan..... now we're talking.

Old
07-21-2011, 07:24 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I know you're like the captain of Team I Hate Semin, but this sumation of Filppula is absurd. He never breaks 40 points. His playoff PPG is worse than Semin's. He is an average PKer at best. He brings nothing to the table from a grit, physical, shot blocking perspective. He's been a minus player back-to-back years on an excellent team.

It is not at all clear that there is a SINGLE element of his game that is superior to Semin's other than his ability not to take as many dopey stick penalties. I see no reason to believe that he would beat out MaJo for a #2C position.
I don't hate Semin, I just don't think he's a winner. The same way I feel about Bruce. How difficult is that to understand by now? This **** isn't Highschool.

As for Filppula, his playoff PPG are distorted by his rookie campaign as a 4th liner. The Caps need a C and they need more balance and hockey IQ. The position he plays, the salary he makes and the intangibles he brings makes it a good deal for the Caps.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
I don't hate Semin, I just don't think he's a winner. The same way I feel about Bruce. How difficult is that to understand by now? This **** isn't Highschool.

As for Filppula, his playoff PPG are distorted by his rookie campaign as a 4th liner. The Caps need a C and they need more balance and hockey IQ. The position he plays, the salary he makes and the intangibles he brings makes it a good deal for the Caps.
I dont even know how to respond to this crock of ****...
I watch Wings regularly, Flip is a good heady player, but he is not a good top 6 forward, and you want him to be our 2C? If you think adding him and losing Semin for upcoming season will get us closer to the Cup you are terribly mistaken.

Old
07-22-2011, 04:19 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:

"Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen!"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green%26 SEmin.jpg‎ (43.1 KB, 24 views)

Old
07-22-2011, 06:03 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

And mike green is nooooooo prom queen.

Old
07-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Love that movie. And that quote.

Mike Green is no prom queen. ****ing hilarious.

Seriously, guys, have a break, help me solve a REAL problem. Should I keep Varly in my fantasy league as a keeper?

Old
07-22-2011, 07:40 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

You know..I thought that way about Larry Murphy when he was here. I was wrong.

Fact is that Murphy went to teams who had more complimentary players around him so he could play his game.

The Caps have stuck Semin on lines with crap for the bulk of most seasons here. He needs a physical presence and a servicable true #2c.

The kid competes for the most part (the only playoff game where he didn't show up in my book was game 4 vs Tampa last year)

Filppula is at best a mediocre player surrounded by a good team. He's not a great offensive player and is above average defensively. Those players are a dime a dozen. Semin is better both offensively and defensivley (a part of his game that is HIGHLY underrated).

I understand the frustration from your posts but I think you are misdirecting your anger.

Old
07-22-2011, 07:45 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
No ****. Mainly because they wouldn't have to give up anything for him but the waiver fee.

As for trading....no one would want to move anything of value for him.
There is a reason for this...

Teams competing for the cup can't afford to give up NHL ready players of equal caliber for him. It would be a lateral move. What would be the point of Detroit trading Franzen for him? Thats what it would take. Not crap like Hudler or Filppula.

Teams rebuilding would want to wait til he is a UFA.

That is not a reflection of his value as a player.

He just gets a lot of hate from HF board posters.

Old
07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Hale Dunter

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...training-camp/

Whats up here? Sounds like trouble.

Old
07-22-2011, 08:05 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...training-camp/

Whats up here? Sounds like trouble.
I don't know. If Poti is healthy he would be a tremendous asset on the blueline and allow the Caps to ace Jeff Schultz. Then they could make a more minor move or two to get under the cap.

Poti has been far more than I ever expected since he came to the caps. Sure he isn't physical as I would like but he is a stabilizing dman.

Old
07-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Seriously, guys, have a break, help me solve a REAL problem. Should I keep Varly in my fantasy league as a keeper?
An injury riddled goalie that plays on a team many project to be in the bottom 5 of the NHL at the end of the year.

No I wouldn't keep him

Old
07-22-2011, 08:20 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
“He is working with his trainers throughout the summer with the intention that he will be ready to fully participate once training camp begins”
I have intention to do a lot of things, but how many of them come to fruition? Outside of a miracle in the past month, I really doubt GMGM made the moves he did without considerable information of the injury and the recovery. If he is healthy…Hello Hershey!

Last edited by LetsGoBears: 07-22-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: I blame heat for any spelling errors!
Old
07-22-2011, 08:27 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Come on, you know the answer. It's because it makes the Wings better, which is BTCG's first priority.
Guilty as charged... but again, I ask you:

If I wasn't loyal to the place where I was born & raised, what kind of guy would I be?

Still a caps fan though, and that ain't gonna change.

Old
07-22-2011, 08:48 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well, I thought it was a very lovely story, and you tell it so well, with such enthusiasm...

The Caps aren't going to deal away Semin for Hudler and picks or anyone who realistically would be dealt away by the Wings and picks.

The Caps want to win now, just like the Wings. They don't have a Semin replacement who is available to them in the system like they did with Holtby for Varlamov. Next year when Kuznetsov will likely be available? Sure but not now. And Hudler is no replacement for Semin. So why do the Caps make this move?
Glad you liked the story. I'm a bit sensitive to the "it didn't happen so you lied" technique. Women use that on us guys often. If you ever get a girlfriend, or wife, you'll see what I mean. (j/k).

Why do the Caps make this move?

Wouldn't a 2nd liner who isn't the invisible man in the playoffs, and who doesn't hook in critical situations, and plays a true 2-way game, be nice to have?

Old
07-22-2011, 09:24 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I hope Poti recovers. I like his game, misunderstood by many to be an offensive guy, he has been a solid DD man in his stay here, when healthy. Can pinch hit offensively but has to be asked to do so. Nerdly competitive. He has been solid in playoffs when not playing with a broken foot. Good against the flyers, excellent against the rags, couldnt skate against pitt, and excellent vs Montreal, maybe our best Dman that series.

It appears he has been counted out by many, mostly Tex and George. I wouldn't mind him milling around all year if it doesnt cost us a player I like better cap wise.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:44 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Wouldn't a 2nd liner who isn't the invisible man in the playoffs, and who doesn't hook in critical situations, and plays a true 2-way game, be nice to have?
I must beg to differ my man!

1) Semin isn't "invisible" in the playoffs. Didn't he score the OT winner vs Rangers in game 1? Didn't he fire off 44 shots vs Halak who decided to stand on his head? If you go back to the Flyer's series he was our best player. In fact he went against Bruce's "turn the other cheek" order in game 4 by finally fighting back. He was the first one who did it and then the whole team followed suit. How about the guts to play the entire pens series with a broken thumb?

2) Sure he takes penalties. But in my book PIMS are a GREAT stat to have! A player with high PIMs to me indicates that they are aggressive and/or have a bit of nasty to them. I don't want any lady byng candidates on my team personally and I take mistakes of AGGRESSION over passive ones anyday.

3) 2-way game? Semin definitely does. Highly underrated defensive player and outstanding penalty killer.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:51 AM
NewClearWinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
I have intention to do a lot of things, but how many of them come to forwishen? Outside of a miracle in the past month, I really doubt GMGM made the moves he did without considerable information of the injury and the recovery. If he is healthy…Hello Hershey!
*Fruition. Sorry that was driving me nuts

Closed Thread